Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

GMT COIN Series» Forums » General

Subject: Which games have most equally interesting, equally balanced factions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Wellman
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I’ve owned Cuba Libre for a while but finally got my first 4 human player game in yesterday. While I don’t mind the Syndicate when playing two players, two factions, they seem quite a bit less interesting than the other factions for my group when played alone.

I’m interested in trying another game (or games) in the series, but I’d like to understand which ones seem most balanced for the full compliment of human players. Likewise which ones have 4 equally involved factions.

Disclaimer, I may just not have enough experience to understand what makes the Syndicate equally interesting. Any pointers on this are appreciated as well. For instance, I was thinking about going 3 player and botting the Syndicate so nobody gets the disappointment of playing them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Walsh
Ireland
Lucan
Co Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmb
I wouldn't recommend botting the Syndicate, because it's so easy for the Government to rob them when there's no threat of revenge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Berg Asklev Hansen
Denmark
Vejle
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The syndicate faction is the most indirect of all factions in the modern COIN games, so any other modern coin game would have more immediately interesting faction.
However, I feel the Syndicate factions is very fun to play but it does require a drastically different mindset than any of the other factions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay M
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's no question in my mind that Fire in the Lake seems like the game that COIN was made for. Four truly separate, powerful factions with different but overlapping interests, and each pair of two is genuinely aligned with each other, but also genuinely divergent in some of their interests.

The historical events are also cool because of all the associated photographs that are available.

I think I had more fun playing Falling Sky, but Fire in the Like is the preeminent 4-player COIN example for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Valdez
msg tools
brian asklev aursen wrote:
The syndicate faction is the most indirect of all factions in the modern COIN games, so any other modern coin game would have more immediately interesting faction.
However, I feel the Syndicate factions is very fun to play but it does require a drastically different mindset than any of the other factions
I only played CL once, and I played the Syndicate, and I almost won by simply lurking in the background and raking in the cash (iirc). I lost the game by 1-2 points, and only because the other 3 players suddenly realized they were in big trouble!

The Syndicate is cool if you like to watch the other player's drama sweep back and forth across the map, which I do. It may be hard to play, but I have a feeling it's also hard to play against, given an experienced player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jari Kemppainen
Finland
Kuopio
flag msg tools
badge
The state flag of Finland from January to May 1918
mbmbmbmbmb
mtngrown wrote:
The Syndicate is cool if you like to watch the other player's drama sweep back and forth across the map, which I do. It may be hard to play, but I have a feeling it's also hard to play against, given an experienced player.
I think winning is easiest by playing the Syndicate in CL. However, it is the least wanted faction to me because it's lacking the interaction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Winford
United States
Fairbanks
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I certainly have not played all of the COIN games, but I am currently working through A Distant Plain solo, and I am really impressed with the balancing and interactions of the factions in this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jari Kemppainen
Finland
Kuopio
flag msg tools
badge
The state flag of Finland from January to May 1918
mbmbmbmbmb
Fading Captain wrote:
I certainly have not played all of the COIN games, but I am currently working through A Distant Plain solo, and I am really impressed with the balancing and interactions of the factions in this one.
Only one game of that so far, but I had the same feeling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hubbard
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I have played the first three volumes (AA, CL and DP) a few times, and feel that each has one faction that is rather under-developed and uninteresting to play, and that is always the green faction (Cartel, Syndicate or Warlords). If playing 4-player, and drawing for faction, I think my heart would always sink a little if I draw the greens. I have only played FitL once, and that was an incomplete game and over a year ago. However, I sense that the earlier poster who said this is the first COIN game with four genuinely interesting, powerful factions is probably right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls