Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stylianos Kalaitzis
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
Game: Mythic Battles Pantheon

Genre: Miniature Wargame (Competitive/Semi coop, mexican standoff with more players / area Control / Hand management / Dice rolling)
Player: 2-4
Lenght: 1,5-3 hours
Price: Kickstarter 99$ for Base Game, 398$ for gamers all-in, 498$ for a collectiors all in
Producer: Monolith (Conan), Mythic (Time of Legends: Joan of Arc)
Kickstarter Page: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/806316071/mythic-battle...?
Language Dependence: Moderate in-game text

Bioworm recomendation: Yes

What this is about:
Mythic Battles: Pantheon is a skirmish war game with miniatures, set in ancient greece. Lots of Miniatures. Tons. Its actually a miniature feast for a few selected kickstarter Backers (about 13,6k not including late backers, which admittedly isnt that few), which can send their deities, heroes, monsters and troops against each other either trying to kill the enemy god or snatch away little orbs of power.

Story and Theme (9/10)
The Story tells ous about Hera, Wife of mighty Zeus, who released chaos upon the world as part of her vengeance against her not-so-faithful husband Zeus (anyone knowing some greek mythology knows that he actually did have sexual relationships with every female beeing he encountered) in form of opening the gates of the underworld. Thats a lot of fury if you ask me. Seems that the story is written by a man...moving on... Because of that, previously dead monsters, but also heroes gain access to an ancient greek, but also soon to be devastated from war world. Interesting enough you dont play that war. You play after the war, where there is not much of humanity left and gods are weak and in search for power.
This nice (but not more than that) story sets the background. The Theme comes very strong in beautiful artwork, a dark and destroyed world. You also feel the theme as units are designed to have abilities close to those they we known of in mythology. Atalante the huntress attacks from far, moves, then attacks from near (to finish of the pray), Odysseus (the cunning) gives you more strategic options as opposed to achilles (the nearly invulnerable) who simply ignores some damage. There may not be an overarching story and campaign on this, but it doesnt really have to. There is enough story and theme for a wargame.

Gameplay (9.5/10):
You can play with 2P-4P, best with 2 but also good with 3 (mexican standoff - if you like that sort of game) or 4 (two teams). First you assembly your army by drafting - thats interesting on its own. Then you play by having a hand of cards either with a unit name on it or an "Art of War Card". With the Unit card, you can activate the unit (and by that move, attack, gain power orbs etc.) , the Art of war card (they are all the same) lets you choose between various strategic options (i.e. activating a second unit by paying its card on the same turn, search the deck for one specific card or take two random cards etc.). The point of all this is either slay the enemy divinity or capture many orbs of power, meaning having control of many areas for some time.

What makes this game shine is the sheer number of innovative mechanisms or flavours of well known mechanisms with little twists and the variety of the numerous abilities of the units as well as their synergy.
As the health of your units decreases, so do their stats with every hit, making them weaker (by the way - only one very limited way of healing - practical non-existent). This is done by just adjusting a stat clip on your character one line downwards with the new stats (very handy).
Your Hand is not refreshed to a number of cards as in many games, but you gain 1 card every round (or two cards if you pass), making that 3 card combo you thought of a very very expensive maneuver. If one player finishes his deck, then not only he reshuffles his deck and starts over, but also the opponent with one additional boon: the opponent gets in his hand the remaining cards he had on his not-used deck, making that rushing-your-deck strategy now pay its price. Attack isn't just resolved with hits or no hits damage (which in my opinion is an outdated system many games still use because its easy), but also with dice manipulation, where not only your character, but also the dice themselves can manipulate the outcome. And I could go on and on with rules that make the strategy so elegant and interesting...

All this makes you go for deep strategic thoughts and meaningful decisions: Do I play my god safe and let the troops carry that power orb (by the way called omphalos) to me or do I rush with my god into the battle, risking death of my god and instantly defeat? Do I make that strong combo and use up that many cards or do i simply pass and make a stronger deck with more options? Do I charge in and try to take the power orb or do I simply throw the 3D Elements (pillars and trees) in order to weaken the enemy? Do I use the hero or monsters who are stronger or the troop units who are weaker, but can regenerate? Your strategy will also shift every round as your enemy will his.

There is a great replayability, as there is a ridiculous high amount of characters in the Kickstarter version (and there will be no other), even with the base pledge, all with such different abilities plus 4 different game board (6 with extra board).

Artwork (10/10):
Artwork is simply beautiful. I am used to beautiful artwork especially in kickstarter projects, but this artwork tops even most kickstarters. Both graphic elements on board or card and detailed, beautiful sculptures you play with are true eye candy. Have a look at the kickstarter page and let me say: yes, the miniatures look exactly like that and are that big. If you liked the style of the box: the Art on everything else is exactly as detailed!

Quality (9.5/10):
Cardboard as thick as it should be, detailed miniatures, well designed and cast in a way that pointy spears and swords are sturdy. High quality paper on rule- and artbook. High quality cards. Everything as it should be, except maybe the Rock 3D Element, which will wear out soon by use, but thats no biggie. I am missing some good storage solution for elements, but as with almost most games, you improvise for something better.

Rules and Rulebook (9/10):

The rules are complex and are explained well. There is a scenario Book, a Rulebook and -what I like very much: a getting-started Book with a simpler, faster Version of the game with predefined characters for the first plays.
Rulebook is generally well written. Rules are shown very clear, no big room for misunderstandings. Rulebook lacks a little more visible outline if you are searching for something particular, but otherwise fine.

Kickstarter fullfillment (8,5/10):

Product is now beeing delivered, everything looks in general fine, minor setbacks depending on fulfillment company. Mine (Phillibert in EU) wrapped everything very nice and tidy in very very thick protective foil, so nothing could happen to my precious game.

What you get for your buck (10/10):
up till now i referred to mechs vs. minions being a game where you get a ton of good stuff for very little money. MB:P is in the same category, maybe even tops that. On the one hand I kick myself in the butt for only getting the base game, on the other hand is the base game with pandoras Box so full of various elements and characters and miniatures - for most games this would be a all-in. I simply dont know another game except MvsM, where you get that much for your buck.

I cant really judge for more than the base box+pandoras+atlas (called previously titan), but from what I ve seen the gamers or collectors bundle should be a good bargain too.

Retail Version: There is no availability in retail, not even from the monolith/mythic store itself. They think of a reprint and maybe kickstarter later on. They should do it.

Overall (9.5/10):

I expected high from MB:P and the game surpassed my expectations. It is not a miniature game with some rules to wrap it up, as with many kickstarter projects nowadays. It is a fine, carefully balanced symphony of game elements which give you a rich gaming experience, accompanied by astonishing art and quality. It is definitely a rare gem, that will not collect dust in the shelf. MB:P even replaced many good Wargames in my collection.

I can clearly and easily recommend buying Mythinc Battles pantheon

Thank you for reading this Review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
Good review, though I don't agree with the title. MBP seems hyped in the fishbowl of people following it, but it's not known to the wider boardgaming world.

Gloomhaven is hyped. Charterstone is hyped. Pandemic Legacy Season 2 is hyped.

This game is for enthusiasts only.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stylianos Kalaitzis
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
Dormammu wrote:
Good review, though I don't agree with the title. MBP seems hyped in the fishbowl of people following it, but it's not known to the wider boardgaming world.

Hmmm. I think you are right... Now too Late to Change the entry...XD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thilo M.
Germany
Wiesbaden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bioworm wrote:
Dormammu wrote:

Hmmm. I think you are right... Now too Late to Change the entry...XD

Actually you can change the title line by editing your OP...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Clemente
Norway
Sandefjord
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Very nice review!

bioworm wrote:

Quality (9.5/10):
Cardboard as thick as it should be, detailed miniatures, well designed and cast in a way that pointy spears and swords are sturdy. High quality paper on rule- and artbook. High quality cards. Everything as it should be, except maybe the Rock 3D Element, which will wear out soon by use, but thats no biggie. I am missing some good storage solution for elements, but as with almost most games, you improvise for something better.

I'd say, though, that cards are average quality rather than high quality, and the loose stat clips issue is a bit annoying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary gee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JuegoEgo wrote:
Very nice review!

bioworm wrote:

Quality (9.5/10):

I'd say, though, that cards are average quality rather than high quality, and the loose stat clips issue is a bit annoying.
I think your well out on the fulfillment side of it...it was finished ready to ship late October.so was a month ahead of schedule..the delivery side of it as been a god awful mess [check the KS site comments].full pledges randomly around world part pledges again the same.and some still waithing for anything at all...need to down the rating from 8.5 to around 4.

the rest I agree with from what ive seen online and read about.have a great new year all!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryin
United States
Tyler
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's this guy again.. Perhaps give your own review, and you can rate fulfillment at a 4 for you personally, and maybe you can finally give it a rest.

tootz wrote:
JuegoEgo wrote:
Very nice review!

bioworm wrote:

Quality (9.5/10):

I think your well out on the fulfillment side of it...it was finished ready to ship late October.so was a month ahead of schedule..the delivery side of it as been a god awful mess [check the KS site comments].full pledges randomly around world part pledges again the same.and some still waithing for anything at all...need to down the rating from 8.5 to around 4.

the rest I agree with from what ive seen online and read about.have a great new year all!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
I just think you'll always get some impatient people in every walk of life.

Hell, I backed an RPG on Kickstarter back in 2014 called Project: Dark and I've still yet to receive my item.

This game by comparison is not a problem. If I don't receive my game by the time all European pledges have allegedly been posted, that's when I'll be taking action. Until such a time, I will sit patiently and await my delivery. Can't understand why others can't do the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Bowen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Woo! Gonna get some
badge
44, that's me!
mbmbmbmbmb
This KS was such a conundrum for me. I was floored by the value of the base pledge. But I really didn't dig the mythological theme. Dunno why, I usually find that stuff interesting, but for whatever reason it didn't grab me. The lack of solo play (not that I find fault there, it's not really a solo style of game) was also a turn off for such a large purchase.

Now that the game is out and has been revealed to be KS exclusive, I'll likely never get a copy or even a chance to play. Although I understand the reasoning for not pursuing retail, making the game and all or nothing proposition is a massive turn off for me. Glad other folks are enjoying it though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geremy
United States
SoCal
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
silverbowen wrote:
Now that the game is out and has been revealed to be KS exclusive, I'll likely never get a copy or even a chance to play. Although I understand the reasoning for not pursuing retail, making the game and all or nothing proposition is a massive turn off for me. Glad other folks are enjoying it though.

IFRC in the TOL:JA live cast, Leo said MB will be available in the future...

tx
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Got a chance to play this the other night and was very surprised. The game on its own is a great "gods, heroes, and monsters" game. That they put it all into a huge miniatures package too is just awesome.

Sadly, I missed the KickStarter so may never get the chance to dive into this the way others have. I hear a Norse version of this is in the works so I'll keep my eye out for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philipp
Germany
München
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my opinion the cards are at least average
They are thin nit linen finish and wear down fast without sleeves as you have to shuffle often and hold them in your hands a lot
One stretch goal for linen finish would have been nice (but as QW dislikes linen for a feeling like sand on the cards...)

JuegoEgo wrote:
Very nice review!

bioworm wrote:

Quality (9.5/10):

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Rezinas
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Nice review, but confused why you marked an 8.5 for fulfillment when the game was delivered on-time and well-packed to you? Do you mark down the gameplay because someone else thought turns took too long or art because someone was offended?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daren Commons
msg tools
I played with my wife last night and she dug it! Wanted a rematch, which she one. Good sign...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.