Tenkatoitsu» Forums » Rules

Subject: Possible options for a unit to charge rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi,
there is this situation in which Clan B is in attack and the attack chit has been drawn. I was wondering what to do.

Firstly I must pick a unit not in EZOC and must charge.
The only unit not in EZOC is B02 (the spearhead)

Looking at the picture if I choose as enemy Nobuharu B22 (3MP away the same as Nobuharu B12)
can B02 stay put? (there are no available spaces to get in touch with that unit or does it need to move anyway?
I think that in this case it can stay wherever it is (no move).

In case B02 has to move anyway what are the possible options?

thanks
Raimondo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
César Moreno
Spain
Castellon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Possible option for a unit to charge
I would say nobuharu 1/2 is 2 MP away, while the nobuharu 2/2 unit is more than 2 MP away - there's no way you could move adjacent to that unit using just 2 MPs. Actually there's no way the spearhead could move adjacent to that unit, so I wouldn't consider it as a valid Target for the charge.

So there are two valid targets: nobuharu 1/2 or the Saito unit without leadership. Both are equally distant.

No matter which of those you choose, the charge ends in the same hex. And you will have to attack Saito unit, as well as both nobuharu units.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi Cesar,
When you charge you need to consider not hexes but MP and both of the enemy units (Nobuharu B22 and Nobuharu B12) are 3 MP away from B02.
So my question remains unsolved unless (quoting you) Nobuharu B12 is not a valid target. But I don’t see any reference of this in the rules.
Tks
Raimondo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
César Moreno
Spain
Castellon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Raimarino wrote:
Hi Cesar,
When you charge you need to consider not hexes but MP and both of the enemy units (Nobuharu B22 and Nobuharu B12) are 3 MP away from B02.

Yes, you count MPs. I might be wrong but I count MPs up to the hex where the charging unit would stop moving, and not to the hex where the target unit is.

Anyway, I can see no valid movement route from the spearhead to Nobuharu B22, (definitely it's not 3 MPs away - the spearhead unit cannot spend 3 MPs and reach it) so as I see it, that unit would not be elegible as a target for the charge.

Of course that's just how I see it, probably François will clarify this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Deniaud
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
In my opinion, Ikeda 0-2 must attack Tsuda Nobuharu 1-2. He can't reach Tsuda 2-2 because Kato block it. And he will attack Tsuda and Saito if nobody else attack them.

If you don't want to charge with Ikeda 0-2, you must charge with Nakamura and block Ikeda movement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi Cesar and Gregory,
I think you've got it right and Gregory's statement makes sense. Basically you must move every unit in attack that is not in EZOC towards the nearest eligible enemy target and if you want to avoid a situation in which you could be at a disadvantage you need to find a workaround like the one Gregory said.
My last question is : if the situation were the one in the picture below
Does Ikeda 02 have to move even if there is no eligible target unit reachable with its charge movement 3MP?

If the answer is "YES it must move" Ikeda 02 could move anywhere (even moving away from the nearest enemy unit because there are no eligible paths at all and not respecting rule 6.2.4). Is it correct?

thanks
Raimondo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois Vander Meulen
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gregory is right.

For your last question, indeed, Ikeda 02 has to move. (On your picture, I guess there is a path that goes all around the Hideyoshi's line).
The rules doesn't say what happen if no move are possible at all. In that case, I find reasonable to let the unit where it is.

I hope that helps.

I wish you a happy end of the year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
many Thanks Francois

Happy New Year to you and your family, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Re: another question of charge attack options
Hi Francois,
here is another tricky question on possible charge attack options.

Q1) Clan 5 (picture below) has to attack. The only unit (Tanaka 13 the one without a step loss) of the clan 5 not in an EZOC has to charge.

In this case is it reasonable for this unit to stay put (no way to make contact with an enemy unit)or has it to go all the way down spending its 3MP without being able to get in touch with enemy unit E2 Akashi 23(6 MP away)?

I think that in this case rule 6.2.4 (all units of the same clan should stay adjacent to each other as much as possible) should prevail and the unit can stay put but not sure because, as you stated, rules don't say anything for these cases.

Q2) As a rule of thumb can we say that when charging if a unit is not able to get in touch with an enemy unit after spending all of its 3MPs (or it is X? MP away from the nearest enemy unit) it may stay put or charge (choice for the attacker)?

If No, can you dictate a general rule for treating these cases (they are not so rare as one could imagine).

thanks

Raimondo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois Vander Meulen
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Q1) this unit is the spearhead unit right ? So it has to move in order to get closer to the nearest enemy (6.3.1). It cannot stay put .

Q2) No, you cannot state that. When you give an attack order the Clan will go closer to enemy. So you have to 1) choose the spearhead and move it 2) make the rest of the Clan follow. That is the purpose of the rules 6.3.1 and 6.3.2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ok
To sum up:
in the case of the picture clan 5 is in attack and the only unit that is not in an EZOC is automatically the spearhead and has to move anyway spending all of its movement points even if it doesn't get in touch with the closest enemy unit. The only exception to this rule is when there is no eligible path at all for the unit (like you said in a previous post). Only and only in this case it is reasonable for the unit to stay put.

thanks

Raimondo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois Vander Meulen
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.