Subject: Metro - A Light Review rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
BorderCon
Australia
Lavington
New South Wales
flag msg tools
8 Weeks to BorderCon!!! And the Geeklist is up...go find it!
mbmbmbmbmb
All of my reviews aim to offer a brief overview that allows people to get a good feel for what the game may offer them. I feel that other reviews can be sought if detailed game mechanics is what you are after.

Summary

Game Type - Board Game
Play Time : 30-50 minutes
Number of Players: 2-6 (Best 3+)
Mechanics - Tile Laying, Route Building
Difficulty - Pick-up & Play (Learn in under 20 minutes)
Components - Very Good (Nothing poor or exceptional)

In Metro we are taken back to Paris in 1900. It is a time of great change and each player is lucky enough to be involved in the construction of the Paris Metro System!

Ok so it might be a little hard to get carried away with the theme and it is a little pasted on, but there is a decent game here.

The 6-fold board opens up to reveal an open area of 60 squares, ready for track development. This area is surrounded on the outer border by 32 Metro stations and these are surrounded by the score track. The centre of the board also feature 8 additional Metro Stations but more on these later.

Each player takes a colour of their choice and the corresponding summary card. This card outlines how many starting stations each player will receive and this is dependent on the number of players. In this way the game is able to maintain its balance. Each player places one of their subway cars beside each of their starting stations and the track tiles are mixed up and placed face down. Each player draws a tile and keeps it in their hand - the game is ready to begin.

The aim of Metro is to expand your network of track. The difference too many other train games though is that each starting station you control represents a different line and you must develop each of these individually to score points.

On a player's turn they have two choices. They can either place the tile they are holding or they can draw a new tile from the draw pile. In the latter case they must place this tile whether they like it or not.

The open spaces on the board are marked with red arrows that all point in the same direction. Each track tile also has a red arrow and both arrows must be heading in the same direction when a tile is placed. This
offers each player far less scope for placing their tiles compared to the possibilities if they were allowed to rotate the tile before placing it.

In addition a tile must be placed adjacent to another already placed tile or adjacent to the edge of the board (thereby connecting to an outer edge station). After laying a tile a new one must be drawn unless the active player is already in possession of one.

In Metro a track or link is valued in terms of its length however every section of track that is used on each tile is scored. Therefore it is possible to score multiple points for the one tile if the same route passes through it multiple times! This is possible as each tile offers 4 different sections of track. So with careful planning and a little luck, it is possible to pass through the same tile 4 times. Clear as mud? shake

A 'Metro line' is completed when it is linked from its starting position to any other station other than itself (this is only allowed if no other placement is possible). It is then scored and the total is doubled if the link ended in one of the central stations. Not surprisingly these destinations are hotly contested and often they score less than a player expects as they have prematurely completed a line in order to beat the opposition to the prize.

The game ends when the last tile is drawn and placed, but it is possible for a player to have connected all of their lines before this time. If this is the case then finished players can still continue to draw tiles on their turn and place them in order to disrupt the plans of their opponents. This is different if nothing else.

The Final Word

Metro is a decent game but it leaves me a little cold. First the play is very aggressive as popular plays are to cut off people's track or help it reach a premature end by diverting it to the nearest station. Call me a marshmallow (soft) but I like a game which allows the players to look back on the experience and feel some sense of achievement or success. With Metro I have seen more people look back with a disgruntled look on their face as they reflect on the 'screwage' they were subjected to.

If aggression is your thing then Metro may be for you.

I find the potential of finishing your track building before the end game has arrived a little off putting. This only leaves you with turns devoted to sabotaging someone else, which raises the feelings outlined above to an even higher degree.

The components are fine in terms of quality, but they are bland, which for me sums up the experience. IMHO the Ticket to Ride Series is far more satisfying and gives you a sense of achievement. If 'screwage' is a mechanic you like in a game, I'd recommend Streetcar over Metro. It is a more satisfying game experience for my money (although it only plays up to 5).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Adams
United States
Brigham City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neil Thomson wrote:
First the play is very aggressive as popular plays are to cut off people's track or help it reach a premature end by diverting it to the nearest station. Call me a marshmallow (soft) but I like a game which allows the players to look back on the experience and feel some sense of achievement or success. With Metro I have seen more people look back with a disgruntled look on their face as they reflect on the 'screwage' they were subjected to.

If aggression is your thing then Metro may be for you.

For this reason I like to play it with kids or people who will not play overly aggressively to thwart another's plans. It ends up being a more enjoyable game that way. Basically, I think if you can avoid 2 tile tracks that end in neighboring stations, it's much friendlier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sight Reader
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Neil Thomson wrote:
First the play is very aggressive as popular plays are to cut off people's track or help it reach a premature end by diverting it to the nearest station.

There is an easy fix: you may only place tiles that extend one of your own lines. If no such moves are left then you can move elsewhere.

Or, if you want, you can eliminate players, ending the game when there is only one left. In that case, incomplete lines are not scored.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.