Subject: Next Game in the COIN series rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Chronister

Poteau
Oklahoma
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So is a World War II COIN coming in the near future? Brian Train is apparently working on China 1937-41. Will it be released soon? How about a game covering Yugoslavia under the Nazis?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, someone is working on that very thing.
We talk about it every time we meet and he is pretty far along in his quite painstaking research.

I think you'll be pleased.

Brian

[ETA: I am talking about the Yugoslavia game, of course - but I, who does not refer to himself in the third person, am also working on the China game.]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Chronister

Poteau
Oklahoma
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good, Good. Is your production in our near future?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Fighting to get time to finish off the Event Deck, which always takes the most research - then I can start some personal testing, then involve others.
My goal is to have a complete working game to show Gene B. at Consimworld Expo in Tempe in July.
He saw the prototype in 2015 and was interested, and Volko is OK with the idea too.
The game was mostly worked out except for the Event Deck in 2015, but I haven't been able to work on this since then due to having to finish off Colonial Twilight: The French-Algerian War, 1954-62 and Nights of Fire: Battle for Budapest, among publishing several other things in the last 2 years.

If Gene is pleased it will go on P500 later in the year, after that who knows.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Chronister

Poteau
Oklahoma
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I’ll be a first day P500 buyer. Colonial Twilight is outstanding so it’s a given your next COIN edition will be also.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

Uh-oh, pressure's on...

soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
Are there any news on the China and Yugoslavia-editions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
China: good initial playtests at CSWExpo, hope to have this ready for submission to GMT and P500 by next June/July (that is, next CSWExpo).

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
Great, looking forward to the P500!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tree
Poland
Gdańsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In May Update was an information:

Quote:
Over the coming several months, I anticipate that we will add:
A new WWI game by a designer with one GMT design already published
A new expansion for one of our air games
A new 20th century strategic game
A new COIN series game
An expansion for one of our 2018 Best-sellers
Do we know what 'new COIN series game' is there? I think every game is already printed or on p500. Any ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Walsh
Ireland
Lucan
Co Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmb
Muad wrote:

Do we know what 'new COIN series game' is there? I think every game is already printed or on p500. Any ideas?
My guess, founded on not very much, is that it's a 6 faction game about the Syrian Civil War.

I think the factions are:

Syrian Government
Iraqi Government
Kurds
"Moderate" Rebels
ISIS
US
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jari Kemppainen
Finland
Kuopio
flag msg tools
badge
The state flag of Finland from January to May 1918
mbmbmbmbmb
You forgot Russia. It has to be 7 faction game then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Walsh
Ireland
Lucan
Co Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmb
jari58 wrote:
I'm talking about a design that's out there and I'm fairly sure about the factions, but I haven't heard the name or anything else about it (e.g. whether any of those factions are non-player factions).

Russia wouldn't make much sense as a faction in a game about the Syrian Civil War, to be honest. Its goals are to support the Syrian Government, but not so much that it endangers its relationship with other countries in the Middle East, and to make sure as far as possible that none of the Chechen jihadis fighting in Syria or Iraq ever return to Russia. It's just too straightforwardly pro-Syrian Government to be a separate faction.

The US, on the other hand, has a much more contradictory policy, so it makes some sense for it to be a faction, though perhaps not a player faction.

If I really wanted more factions for some reason I would add Turkey, split up the Kurds into the KRG and YPG/PKK and split off HTS* from the rebels and make them their own faction before I added Russia.

* This might make start dates a bit difficult given that HTS was originally an ISIS franchise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jari Kemppainen
Finland
Kuopio
flag msg tools
badge
The state flag of Finland from January to May 1918
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for a thoughtful answer. However, is it quite unlikely that we get a COIN game with six factions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a COIN system game with six factions, and it is about the Syrian Civil War.
Photos of playtest games have surfaced from GMT events.

I suppose it's more "COIN-like" than "canonical COIN", as there is no way to have faction orders on cards, unless you are willing to research and play your way through a 720 card deck (6 factorial).
Likely it's a form of rotating through sets of eligibilities, as has been done in Colonial Twilight: The French-Algerian War, 1954-62 and All Bridges Burning: Red Revolt and White Guard in Finland, 1917-1918.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Amaranth wrote:
"Moderate" Rebels
ISIS
Not sure why these two would need to be separate factions though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Walsh
Ireland
Lucan
Co Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmb
ajpl wrote:
Amaranth wrote:
"Moderate" Rebels
ISIS
Not sure why these two would need to be separate factions though.
Well, the Syrian government seems to disagree with you, because they're prepared to sign ceasefires with rebel groups other than ISIS and HTS. They're also prepared to make reconciliation deals with smaller local groups - basically promising to address local grievances and recruiting them into the NDF.

Also, the US bombs ISIS, but it funds other rebel groups.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Akeley
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone plan to make one based on the 1979 Iranian revolution? Would love one based on that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Torrent
msg tools
mbmbmb
jari58 wrote:
You forgot Turkey. It has to be 8 faction game then.

Further, Israeli air raids should be taken in consideration too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Not sure how much of this discussion is genuine design speculation and how much is covert political commentary, but there is no design imperative for every identifiable belligerent to be represented by a distinct player faction. The COIN games have often merged distinct real-world factions into a single game faction when their goals and methods were sufficiently similar. And some of the sides are limited enough in their real-world involvement that they’d be best represented by card events rather than by players at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Torrent
msg tools
mbmbmb
I was just making a bit of fun as it makes no real sense having such an amount of factions. Talking seriously, my opinion is this one:

Russia (same role as coalition in ADP)
Sirian Government (same as gvt in ADP)
Isis (Same as talibans)

the tricky part is here:

Rebels (Sirian Free Army, Alqaeda, etc) (Same as warlords in ADP)
SDF (kurds)(Same as warlords in ADP)

Both factions are actual and important actors on the terrain with clearly different agendas. Depicting the conflict without them would break the consistency of the game.

The merging of factions in the Colonial Twilight makes sense,merging all the rebel factions in Siria makes sense, merging rebels with isis or rebels with sdf makes no sense at all.

Turkey (same role as NVA in FIL)(?)

Should Turkey be a track? Or a group of events? The invasion of northwestern Siria makes me think about Turkey as faction but i'm not sure at all.

I understand that a five or six factions game would be odd. But i can't image how to simplify this highly complex conflict.

I absolutely agree with you that the US, Irak, Iran, Hezbolah, Palestinian factions and Israel should be included in the form of event cards; some of them clearly pivotal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I think the "Syrian Opposition"/"Syrian Interim Government" and "Kurds"/"Rojava" are ABSOLUTELY necessary and would certainly include each of these as distinct factions before Russia or Turkey.

I'm not designing this game (nor have I designed any COIN game), but I do wonder whether Russia should be a player faction. My understanding is that their involvement in the conflict has been pretty much entirely in line with SAB government. If the only motivation is the fact that there is substantial Russian presence, then I suppose you could give the SAB a separate kind of piece to represent foreign support troops.

Similarly, Turkey's involvement seems, to my knowledge, to be pretty much entirely in line with "Syria Opposition"/"Syrian Interim Government".

I don't really see a need for such a game to be larger than 4 factions. Of course, I probably wouldn't make a game on this topic until hostilities resolve somewhat more and there is a clearer picture of the shape of the conflict as a whole.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Walsh
Ireland
Lucan
Co Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmb
I understand that the factions are:

Syrian Government
Iraqi Government
Kurds
"Moderate" Rebels
ISIS
Jabhat al Nusra

Jabhat al Nusra is an interesting choice which I'm not 100% sure makes more sense than the US as sixth faction but definitely makes more sense than Russia or Turkey.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls