Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathanael May
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey everyone.

I'm hosting the February 2018 SGOYT Geeklist, and have spent the last several hours feeling like I'm reinventing the wheel a little bit. I've learned a lot about formatting for BGG in the process, but the inability to grab the code for such a complex post (since you can't quote a geeklist header, that I know of) seems to make this an unnecessary challenge.

So, in the second post of this thread, I'm posting the header for the geeklist, so any future hosts who (like me) happen to be new to complex formatting can spend more time having fun with customization and personalization, and less time learning how to handle floatlefts and floatrights.

If this is information that is readily available elsewhere that I was just too dumb to find, please let me know! I'll happily delete this.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathanael May
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Welcome to
Solitaire Games on Your Table
February 2018

The Home of “Together, We Game Alone”

Hello, and welcome to the greatest month of solo gaming! Feel free to participate in any way you like: Post about the solo games that you play, share your latest solo design or variant, comment on entries that strike your fancy, and join in. This is a very friendly group, and we happily welcome aboard every type of solo gamer!

Guidelines

1 PLAY a solo game, a solo variant, or a multiplayer game solo.
2 Add an entry to this GeekList and tell us about it. Get the most out of the SGOYT Aggregator by using at least one of the following tags:

1 Add the <summary></summary> tag to include a short overview. All summaries are recorded, as on my User Overview page.
2 Add the <rating></rating> tag to rate a game on a scale of 0.5 to 5.0. Only the most recent rating for a game is recorded, as on Albia's ratings page. I haven't rated a single game, so my page is worthless to look at.

3 Be nice, but most of all have fun!
4 See something you like? Give it a thumb.

It's extremely helpful (but not mandatory) to include some thumbsup and thumbsdown describing the pros and cons of the game you played. They're great visual aids to summarize your post, and might help to keep the wallet damage down a bit!

Need a little help with formatting? Check out the Forum Formatting Guide and Tricks of the Geek.

About Me

I am a coffee professional (and I'm actually posting this from a barista championship that I'm judging in New Orleans) who got into solo gaming in December of 2016 as a way to more easily accomplish my Advent of Christmas Gaming challenge. I knew that Agricola had a solo variant, so I tried it out.

"This is neat," I thought. "I wonder if there are other games that have the option of playing solo."

The ensuing search was a rabbit hole that I have not yet emerged from. As I said in this year's voting thread for the Top 100 Solo Games:

This guild has been the death of my wallet and the joy of my heart.

heartheartheartheartheartFebruary is Love/Heart Monthheartheartheartheartheart

February, the month of Valentines day, is also CHD Awareness and Heart Month. As Ibbo did last year, I would also like to take this opportunity to mention that this is a great month to consider donating blood - if you are able.

"Giving blood makes it possible for many people to lead normal healthy lives. Every year thousands of patients require blood transfusions in our hospitals, because they are undergoing surgery, recovering from cancer or have been in a serious accident."

So, if you are not constrained by any physical, geographical, philosophical or lifestyle issues please do consider looking into donation. It is even more important if you have a more unusual blood type - I am a bizarre and rare AB- so I get pestered by the Red Cross pretty often.

"And remember, if you're giving, at the very least that is hemoglobin in the bank for yourself!" --Ibbo

Some websites for more info:

This month, GG will be awarded to anyone...

who plays a game and provides a picture of where love or heart or blood features in that game (time to break out that Blood Rage solo variant!)

who tells a sappy boardgame-related love story

All GG donated to this post will be given away in this month's list!

Upcoming SGOYT Hosts
March
Jessica - the Secret One?
Sweden
Örebro in Sweden
flag msg tools
They are a treasure - I don´t need lots of them...
badge
Yay - Stretch goat!
mbmbmbmbmb
April
Imaginary Thomas
Canada
Russell
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
May
Andy
United States
flag msg tools
Dino DNA!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
June
Iain
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Interested in hosting a future month's list? Find out more in the first post of this thread and send a GeekMail to Ryanmobile to volunteer. If I can do it, anyone can!

SGOYT Resources

1 Player Guild - The home base for everything related to solo games
SGOYT Monthly GeekList Subscription - A subscription thread updated with the latest SGOYT lists
SGOYT QuickLinks - A collection of links to every SGOYT GeekList
SGOYT Made Me Buy This - A list to both thank and jokingly blame SGOYT posters for purchases
2018 Solo Challenges Geeklist - A subscription list of every past and current 2018 solo challenge
The 2018 Solo and Coop Unpossible Challenge - A place to set and achieve a difficult personal solo goal or challenge for 2017
1 Player Guild / SGOYT 2018 Solitaire Goals - A place to set and track personal solo game goals for 2018
2017 People's Choice Top 100 Solo Games - An extensive list of the top 100 solo games as voted by solo gamers
Solo Gaming Awards - A list of links to various 1 Player Guild and solo game awards
SGOYT Aggregator - A site with detailed game and user data from every SGOYT list
SGOYT Spreadsheet - An excellent resource for SGOYT data from 2013-2016
Solitaire Recommendations for Your Table - A list of solo recommendations broken down by genre
SoloPlay Variants Posted on the Geek - A list of all SoloPlay variants to enjoy many multiplayer games as solo games
Solitaire Resources - A list of additional resources for solo gamers

1 Player Guild Trading Post - A place to buy, sell, and trade games with members of the 1 Player Guild
The Solo Games Chain of Generosity - A place to pay it forward with other members of the 1 Player Guild
Solitaire Games - Fair Trade It Forward - A place to pay it forward with solo games
1 Player Guild Hot Deals Thread - A listing of current deals and discounts on solo games
1 Player Guild Auction Watch - A thread with links to BGG auctions for rare and hard-to-find games

Sock Puppet of the Week Subscription - A subscription thread updated with the latest 1 Player Guild Sock Puppet of the Week
SROYT Monthly GeekList Subscription - A subscription thread updated with the latest Solitaire RPGs On Your Table (SROYT) lists

Related Microbadges
mb mb mb mb mb mb mb mb
mb mb mb mb mb mb mb mb
mb

Make sure to take note of the new SGOYT microbadge series designed by magic_erwt!
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathanael May
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, great news! This is a free preview of what February's SGOYT is going to look like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Hernandez
United States
Greenville
SC
flag msg tools
The show on solitaire boardgaming.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantas3! I pinned this but make sure a link to it is available. Either add it to the guild wiki somehow or get Ryan to stick on the 1st post in the thread for hosts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Miller
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
radthanael wrote:
Also, great news! This is a free preview of what February's SGOYT is going to look like.

Spoilers!!!!!

(Also, I know several of us cheated- we'd geekmail the header to each other and quote it from there... But this is far more elegant...!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessica
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
designer
1 Player Guild
badge
Breaker of Wallets
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome: Thanks for sharing! Nice to see how my attempts at formatting November's list caught on! I'm happy to help out with anything since figuring out the different formatting methods isn't always the easiest thing. I think I tinkered for a few hours. Ha!

Looking forward to February: Best of luck as you get ready to host!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Hernandez
United States
Greenville
SC
flag msg tools
The show on solitaire boardgaming.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
govmiller wrote:
radthanael wrote:

Spoilers!!!!!

(Also, I know several of us cheated- we'd geekmail the header to each other and quote it from there... But this is far more elegant...!)
Cheaters! That would not actually ever occur to me. I would have copied the text from a geeklist of my choosing and then manually reformat it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathanael May
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Albia wrote:
Awesome: Thanks for sharing! Nice to see how my attempts at formatting November's list caught on! I'm happy to help out with anything since figuring out the different formatting methods isn't always the easiest thing. I think I tinkered for a few hours. Ha!

Looking forward to February: Best of luck as you get ready to host!

You did a fantastic job--and I was glad you'd been rating games so that your page on the Aggregator was actually populated with content! Ha ha ha
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessica
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
designer
1 Player Guild
badge
Breaker of Wallets
mbmbmbmbmb
radthanael wrote:
You did a fantastic job--and I was glad you'd been rating games so that your page on the Aggregator was actually populated with content! Ha ha ha
Ha! I stopped temporarily with my new SGOYT entry format because I was finding that the summary and ratings didn't help me out... But I'm rethinking that decision, particularly with the new Aggregator in the works. I'll make up my mind one of these days!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Tieman
United States
Simi Valley
California
flag msg tools
designer
Gamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well done!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimitri
Belgium
Nieuwerkerken
flag msg tools
badge
Don't touch me, but please Do!
mbmbmbmbmb
radthanael wrote:
[center][
Make sure to take note of the new SGOYT microbadge series designed by magic_erwt!

I'm honnered with the mension (last line of the intro text). But they are not that new any more. You could opt to skip or rephrase

Also still working on the 'Gaming alone since.........' microbadge series btw. I'm waiting for the microbadge admin when he is done with his backlog. If I understood correctly he had a holiday and now he has to catch up. When I see he has reduced the number of microbadges in the cue, I will ask him again...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for learning all that format info. So this isn't the actual item? The geeklist will follow?

See, you are already far more kniwkedgeable than I am.

Edit: bet you also use spell check.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio B-D
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I would have a petition/suggestion. For those people that update their entries, could you do it in the comments section instead of updating the entry?

I subscribe just to new entries (not comments) and only subscribe to comments to the entries I am interested in, but with people that update their entries I keep receiving new subscriptions. It is not a huge problem but it would be nice not to have the issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Imaginary Thomas
Canada
Russell
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was fretting about this. Very timely post!

Can you just copy/paste this? Does it keep the markup?

Oh, I can quote it to get the markup, duh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessica - the Secret One?
Sweden
Örebro in Sweden
flag msg tools
They are a treasure - I don´t need lots of them...
badge
Yay - Stretch goat!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sneak peek....

Welcome to
Solitaire Games on Your Table
March 2018

The Home of “Together, We Game Alone”

Hello, and welcome to the greatest month of solo gaming! Feel free to participate in any way you like: Post about the solo games that you play, share your latest solo design or variant, comment on entries that strike your fancy, and join in. This is a very friendly group, and we happily welcome aboard every type of solo gamer!

Guidelines

1 PLAY a solo game, a solo variant, or a multiplayer game solo.
2 Add an entry to this GeekList and tell us about it. Get the most out of the SGOYT Aggregator by using at least one of the following tags:

1 Add the <summary></summary> tag to include a short overview. All summaries are recorded, as on my User Overview page.
2 Add the <rating></rating> tag to rate a game on a scale of 0.5 to 5.0. Only the most recent rating for a game is recorded, as on Albia's ratings page. I haven't rated a single game, so my page is worthless to look at.

3 Be nice, but most of all have fun!
4 See something you like? Give it a thumb.

It's extremely helpful (but not mandatory) to include some thumbsup, thumbsdown or mb describing the pros and cons of the game you played. They're great visual aids to summarize your post, and might help to keep the wallet damage down a bit!

Need a little help with formatting? Check out the Forum Formatting Guide and Tricks of the Geek.

About Me

Mom, teadrinker, bookreader, salt-overuser, gamer, chili grower, pranker, fairy wannabe and out of fairy dust (PTSD, Aspergers, Depression and Hypothyroidism most oftenly take all I have), unemployed, marcher, military volunteer, Swiss-traveller (my partner lives there), overdoer and target. What are you all looking at me for?!?? I haven´t done anything... whistle

One of my bigger hobbies is marching and during marching-events I walk distances of 30-40 km/day several days in a row. My goal is to one day earn the Vierdaagsekruis (Four day cross) - a Dutch Royal medal one can only earn by completing the International Four Day Marches in Nijmegen (Netherlands). When I first signed up I figured it would be almost like a walk in the park: 4 days in a row and just around 40 km each day on an almost flat surface... in the middle of July... in a country with a temperature of around 25-35℃ (77-95℉) - the colder of those numbers being the hottest days we have here.... with another air humidity than I am used to and with a lack of shade most parts of the way... in a military uniform made for the weather we have here and with a backpack usually weighing 10 kg (as I am a military participant)... shake I am not really sure what made me think this was a good idea but I am hooked. I long for the folk festival and party feeling along the road, feel honored by all the stories I get to hear and places I get to see and I feel at home in the military base where we stay when not marching.

There are several reasons why I participate as a military walker even though I am not a soldier. Mostly it comes down to me wanting to take part in the walk of rememberance. Today the march is a mix of the celebration of the end of World War II and a walk to honor the fallen. The march takes place around the Operation Market Garden area and we pass many places of high memorial value along the way - one of the more known is the Canadian War cemetary in Groesbeek. Several memorial services are held during the march in different places and I am honored to have been able to take part in several of them. Also - I met my partner in the beertent at the military base - so Nijmegen is a city of love too... heart

So for me March is the start of the marching season. Here in Sweden the snow is usually melting now and we are offered the first days of snow free ground for the year - much safer for marching than the icy patches that we have had to put up with during December-February. And my boots are made for walking so...

This is the month of March

Usually marching is a reference to the walking military troops do - organized, rhytmic, with uniforms and with/without marching music - the classic military parade... But I am a peaceful soul so any references to walking will do (no running though - we don´t want you or your meeple to trip on one of those icy patches and hurting yourself).

This month, GG will be awarded to Geeklist-items...

that includes references to marching/walking/marches or similar

with a military theme (I am a military marcher after all and has an interest in wargames so some nice post with suggestions and pictures will surely trigger my interest)

All GG donated to this post will be given away in this month's list!

Microbadges related to the theme of the month

mb mb mb mbmb mb mb mbmb mb mb mbmb mb mb mb mb mb mb mb mb mb

Upcoming SGOYT Hosts
April
Imaginary Thomas
Canada
Russell
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
May
Andy
United States
flag msg tools
Dino DNA!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

June
Iain
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Interested in hosting a future month's list? Find out more in the first post of this thread and send a GeekMail to Ryanmobile to volunteer. If I can do it, anyone can!

SGOYT Resources

1 Player Guild - The home base for everything related to solo games
SGOYT Monthly GeekList Subscription - A subscription thread updated with the latest SGOYT lists
SGOYT QuickLinks - A collection of links to every SGOYT GeekList
SGOYT Made Me Buy This - A list to both thank and jokingly blame SGOYT posters for purchases
2018 Solo Challenges Geeklist - A subscription list of every past and current 2018 solo challenge
The 2018 Solo and Coop Unpossible Challenge - A place to set and achieve a difficult personal solo goal or challenge for 2017
1 Player Guild / SGOYT 2018 Solitaire Goals - A place to set and track personal solo game goals for 2018
2017 People's Choice Top 100 Solo Games - An extensive list of the top 100 solo games as voted by solo gamers
Solo Gaming Awards - A list of links to various 1 Player Guild and solo game awards
SGOYT Aggregator - A site with detailed game and user data from every SGOYT list
SGOYT Spreadsheet - An excellent resource for SGOYT data from 2013-2016
Solitaire Recommendations for Your Table - A list of solo recommendations broken down by genre
SoloPlay Variants Posted on the Geek - A list of all SoloPlay variants to enjoy many multiplayer games as solo games
Solitaire Resources - A list of additional resources for solo gamers

1 Player Guild Trading Post - A place to buy, sell, and trade games with members of the 1 Player Guild
The Solo Games Chain of Generosity - A place to pay it forward with other members of the 1 Player Guild
Solitaire Games - Fair Trade It Forward 2 - A place to pay it forward with solo games
1 Player Guild Hot Deals Thread - A listing of current deals and discounts on solo games
1 Player Guild Auction Watch - A thread with links to BGG auctions for rare and hard-to-find games

Sock Puppet of the Week Subscription - A subscription thread updated with the latest 1 Player Guild Sock Puppet of the Week
SROYT Monthly GeekList Subscription - A subscription thread updated with the latest Solitaire RPGs On Your Table (SROYT) lists

Related Microbadges
mb mb mb mbmb mb mb mbmb mb mb mbmb mb mb mbmb mb mb mbmb mb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
mbmbmbmbmb
Update the header for the new Solo Fair Trade List: Solitaire Games - Fair Trade it Forward Part 2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls