Hive» Forums » General

Subject: Fake Hive? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Konstantinos Kokkolis
Greece
Piraeus
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Hive fanMicrobadge: Chess playerMicrobadge: Dominoes fanMicrobadge: Level 01 BGG poster
Take a look at this box.

From gallery of kkokkolis

Hive artwork but not the one you find on the original box.

External image

Nevertheless, the box looks serious.

External image

But, hey! The tiles are sharp cornered. And I see Mosquito, Ladybug and Pillbug in there!

External image

Take a closer look. They look cheap plastic to me, but they say they are wooden. The stamps and colors are the originals though, with the exception of the Mosquito, which is hard to tell on the black tile and the same goes for Spiders. And they look like they are painted on the surface. They aren't recessed, so the paint will eventually wear off.

External image

A grey stringbag?

MLP and a stringbag for US $18.99? It looks like a dream. But dreams are mostly untrue.

External image

Gen42, don't let the 40 Thieves pioneer the rational move of a complete Hive version. It's time to do it yourselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Iver Wilhelmsen
Norway
Oslo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Fan of Stonemaier GamesMicrobadge: Landnám fanMicrobadge: Rahdo Runs Through fanMicrobadge: Shut Up & Sit Down fanMicrobadge: Heavy Cardboard podcast fan
Quote:
Hive artwork but not the one you find on the original box.
Well, it looks like the cover of the Huch! European edition from 2015, but the only official Chinese version in the database uses a cover based on the 2011 edition... so yeah, probably a pirated version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantinos Kokkolis
Greece
Piraeus
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Hive fanMicrobadge: Chess playerMicrobadge: Dominoes fanMicrobadge: Level 01 BGG poster
That Huch! includes any of the expansions? The tiles are wood or the same synthetic ones we already know?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Probably a knock-off Bakelite-like formula.

The creator of Hive once commented he had a specific formula/process for Hive tiles. I doubt these would be the same mix. Original Hive pieces are excellent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantinos Kokkolis
Greece
Piraeus
flag msg tools
Yes. They look similar to those early polymers, Bakelite, Galalith, Faturan, Catalin ,Ureastone, Cellidor etc. Much better than PVC, Nylon, ABC etc. They are a nice ivory substitute and would make nice komboloi beads.
The pirate version could be made from Balsa wood, hence the sharp corners, saw-cut and untreated.
Still, Gen42 has to produce sets with all 28 tiles. I couldn’t find Pillbug here, I had to order from Amazon and wait for 2 weeks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Yianni
United Kingdom
Potters Bar
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Microbadge: Hive fanMicrobadge: Hive fanMicrobadge: Hive: The Pillbug fanMicrobadge: Army of Frogs fanMicrobadge: Hive: The Ladybug fan
This is a pirate knock off copy. Made of cheap wood with ink stamps. We've known about these for years but unfortunately not been able to find out where in China they are being made. The box has no contact details and when ever we contact any of the sellers they never reply and take the listings down to hid their unscrupulous activities. They have CE marks on the box but for sure they have never been tested, so they could be dangerous, even toxic. We would advise anyone thinking of buying these fakes to avoid like the plague. They are cheep rubish and not even worth the price they are trying to sell them for.

Thanks for highlighting this
Kind Regards
John Yianni
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Blanchett
Australia
Clifton Hill
Victoria
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Go playerMicrobadge: Leaving Earth fanMicrobadge: Napoleonic Naval WargamerMicrobadge: RAF: The Battle of Britain 1940 fanMicrobadge: Iain Banks fan
No substitute for quality,John..

Fakes don't have the "clacky" sound and feel of the original!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantinos Kokkolis
Greece
Piraeus
flag msg tools
I agree. But a 28 tiles version would be the most rational move to help people resist those sirens of across the oceans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Ludonaute/Asmodee "Colt Express" Contest participantMicrobadge: Copper Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Queen Games "Escape: Big Box" Contest participantMicrobadge: Pegasus Spiele "Games for Easter!" Contest participantMicrobadge: Days of Wonder "Five Tribes" Contest participant
I honestly don't know why the company doesn't print this with all the expansion tiles included now the game has been out for so long.

This counterfeiting games thing sucks... I would never willingly buy a counterfeit copy to save some money. I'm sure a lot of people feel the same way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Yianni
United Kingdom
Potters Bar
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Microbadge: Hive fanMicrobadge: Hive fanMicrobadge: Hive: The Pillbug fanMicrobadge: Army of Frogs fanMicrobadge: Hive: The Ladybug fan
shooshoo wrote:
I honestly don't know why the company doesn't print this with all the expansion tiles included now the game has been out for so long.

This counterfeiting games thing sucks... I would never willingly buy a counterfeit copy to save some money. I'm sure a lot of people feel the same way.
There is one reason why we don't make the standard game including any of the expansion available, and that is simply that we don't want new players to be overwhelmed by the complexity of having three extra bugs to keep track of. And what I mean by new players, is not necessarily gamers, who already know how to deal with and play very complex games. but our core objective in having an easy to understand and quick game to play on the main stream market will never change, Hive standard with just the base 5 different piece will always be sold in this way, if I have anything to do with it

Some people glaze over when we try to demo Hive, just keeping track of 5 movement abilities seems too complicated for some. Imagine if we added the other three in there, we would probably have a very hard time getting the everyday public to ever try the game. We often get comments like "Oh that's far to complicated, I will never be able to play that". We want Hive to stay a gate way game, adding more complexity to the standard game is not part of that plan.

A side note on Fake products:
The fake board game market is growing all the time and unfortunately some people are buying fake products without even knowing, because most boardgames can be easily made to similar standards if they are made of standard card and plastic.
We are very fortunate that Hive is very hard to fake without people knowing, because of the component quality. This is why this fake Hive is so cheep, because they know that they cannot fool anyone in buying this cheep rubbish and pass it off as the real deal.
But unfortunately this is not the case with other boardgames, so I would advice people to take care when buying from sites and sellers that are not trusted channels, you might be paying near full price for a fake.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben O'Steen
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Keyflower fanMicrobadge: Level 05 BGG posterMicrobadge: Gloomhaven fanMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level II - If I have seen further, it's only by standing on the apex of other's dice.Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level I - One small step for geek... One giant leap for geek-kind!
Amazon allows sellers to consolidate stock. This means that that a fraudulent seller's stock can get lumped into the stock Amazon uses to supply orders. This means that unless a seller is actively choosing not to use this "feature", you could well appear to get a knock-off copy from a legitimate seller.

tl;dr - buying from a legitimate seller through Amazon is *not* enough to ensure a decent copy if Amazon are handling the post & packaging.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Yianni
United Kingdom
Potters Bar
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
benosteen wrote:
Amazon allows sellers to consolidate stock. This means that that a fraudulent seller's stock can get lumped into the stock Amazon uses to supply orders. This means that unless a seller is actively choosing not to use this "feature", you could well appear to get a knock-off copy from a legitimate seller.

tl;dr - buying from a legitimate seller through Amazon is *not* enough to ensure a decent copy if Amazon are handling the post & packaging.
That's very true Ben. So a warning to any Amazon sellers who are reading this post, make sure you disable that feature.
Amazon and eBay are very quick in dealing with IP infringements, we've had cases dealt with in a matter of hours. Unfortunately Aliexpress and other such site don't really care about fakes. they know it's happening on their sites and turn a blind eye to it all.
That's why trying to educate the public is the only way to keep people safe from potently toxic or dangerous components.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Ludonaute/Asmodee "Colt Express" Contest participantMicrobadge: Copper Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Queen Games "Escape: Big Box" Contest participantMicrobadge: Pegasus Spiele "Games for Easter!" Contest participantMicrobadge: Days of Wonder "Five Tribes" Contest participant
I never buy from amazon or ebay so i think im good lol! Amazon canada doesnt have the same collection as the US. As for HIVE you could just include the tiles in the box and say they are variants and you dont have to play with them right away.

As far as the gateway experience goes when i teach this to kids or noobs i ask if theyve played chess. If they say yes i say awesome! You understand the main idea of capturing the queen bee, but you have a lot less stuff to keep track of!

If they say no chess is too hard, i say awesome! All you have to understand is youre trying to capture the queen bee, and theres only a fraction of stuff to remember unlike chess!

In my copy of hive i didnt get a player aid describing the movements of the pieces. Maybe you can include a simple one with pictures if you havent done so. I think that helps.

I remember seeing somewhere a person had actually made a small deck of cards and each card described the bugs movement with an example. Him and the other player had these laid out in front of them on the table while they were playing and i thought "thats ingenious!" I wish i could remember who had them now! It was an awesome idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantinos Kokkolis
Greece
Piraeus
flag msg tools
There are many reference guides and "cheatsheets" in the downloads section.

Mr Yianni, you can keep the Standard Edtion and add a Special Edition with all expansions. Or bundle the three expansions together as an extension of the Standard Edtion. Meccano did that for ages, selling basic sets and also indermediate sets that upgraded one basic to the next. Monopoly has new and special editions for around a century. You might do something like that too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Germany
Munich area
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Copper Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Renegade Game Studios "Lanterns Dice: Lights in the Sky" and "Proving Grounds" Contest ParticipantMicrobadge: Pandasaurus Games "Arraial" Contest Participant
Gen Four Two wrote:
There is one reason why we don't make the standard game including any of the expansion available, and that is simply that we don't want new players to be overwhelmed by the complexity of having three extra bugs to keep track of. And what I mean by new players, is not necessarily gamers, who already know how to deal with and play very complex games. but our core objective in having an easy to understand and quick game to play on the main stream market will never change, Hive standard with just the base 5 different piece will always be sold in this way, if I have anything to do with it

Some people glaze over when we try to demo Hive, just keeping track of 5 movement abilities seems too complicated for some. Imagine if we added the other three in there, we would probably have a very hard time getting the everyday public to ever try the game. We often get comments like "Oh that's far to complicated, I will never be able to play that". We want Hive to stay a gate way game, adding more complexity to the standard game is not part of that plan.
That makes sense to me.
When I bought the Pocket version, we put aside the mosquito and ladybug tiles for quite a long time, until we were sure to have captured the basic game well enough.

Would it be an option for you to put the 2x3 expansion tiles sealed in an extra plastic bag into the game box?

I'd have rather paid a few bucks more for purchasing the "complete" game immediately instead of hunting down the extra tiles later on, as these are quite expensive compared to the price of the entire base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
newport coast
California
flag msg tools
Chinese knock off substandard piece quality
I bought one of these fake chinese games.

* it has all the pieces
* it has all 3 expansion pieces
* pieces are light wood
* bugs are surface paint: no grooves
* many pieces were stuck together
* instructions in chinese
* nice carry bag
* very sturdy box
* 1/5 the cost of game & LMP

> don't want new players to be overwhelmed by the complexity of having three extra bugs to keep track of.

BS. It would be VERY simple to explain novice play ought exclude them. Cost of the expansion sets are more indecent than highway robbery.

If it became available again I would not purchase it. I could make my own using hexagonal wood craft pieces or 3D print them. For a modicum more effort the chinese wood pieces could have been stellar: sealant, and etched.

Prior to this I bought costly hive, travel, and carbon. I bought the potentially fake version to lend to a less than responsible house that would never buy it.

I also will not buy another legit Hive game unless it includes all the expansion pieces without an inane price tag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls