Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh Cappel
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Hello Age of Sail fans! We have launched a series of articles we call Exploit Spotlights that will go into detail and share some analysis about the game-changing Exploits that will be going into Endeavor: Age of Sail (which is now LIVE on Kickstarter, click here to check it out!).

Please subscribe to this thread (and any Spotlights you're interested in, of course) so that you'll get an alert when a new Spotlight is posted!

What IS an Exploit?

Exploits are a major addition to the Endeavor system that add rich theme and new gameplay elements, making every play a unique story. During setup you lay out 3 Exploits (random or chosen). Each Exploit is a historical event from the era, related to two of the regions in the game. Once those two regions have opened up, the Exploit activates; players with presence in both of its regions can now interact with the Exploit's unique mechanisms and scoring opportunities!

Links to current Exploit Spotlights:
(We will add to this list as new ones are posted)

• Exploit Spotlight #1: The Spice Trade
• Exploit Spotlight #2: The Dutch East India Company
• Exploit Spotlight #3: Saltpeter Stockpiles
• Exploit Spotlight #4: Jesuit Missionaries
• Exploit Spotlight #5: The Haitian Revolution
• Exploit Spotlight #6: Manila Galleons
• Exploit Spotlight #7: The Underground Railroad
• Exploit Spotlight #8: The Transit of Venus
• Exploit Spotlight #9: The South Sea Company
• Exploit Spotlight #10: Letters of Marque
• Exploit Spotlight #11: The Republic of Pirates

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/28624789#28624789

Thanks, hope you'll enjoy this tour through the amazing and flavourful new gameplay elements that will make your Age of Sail a different challenge every time you play! Please comment below to let us know which Exploits you'd like to see Spotlit next!

And remember, the Endeavor: Age of Sail campaign is live and sailing swiftly through excellent Stretch Goals... click here to visit!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pa van den Eijk
Netherlands
Elburg
flag msg tools
mbmb
I wonder about:
Globalisation
Imperialism
The Underground railroad
South Sea Shipping Co (or is that The Spice Trade?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ton Schalks
Netherlands
near Leiden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Josh,
thanks for explaining the Exploit Spotlight # 1 thumbsup

Since you ask for it, would you please give some explanations and
analysis on these two exploits which look very interesting to me:

The Transit of Venus and The Underground Railroad

Thanks in advance, keep up the GOOD WORK thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Burgess
United Kingdom
Chichester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any idea when Rahdo's runthrough will be up, please?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ton Schalks
Netherlands
near Leiden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess you should ask Rahdo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Burgess
United Kingdom
Chichester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tonami wrote:
I guess you should ask Rahdo
I meant on their Kickstarter page, but fair enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helaina Cappel
Canada
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mattpburgess wrote:
Any idea when Rahdo's runthrough will be up, please?

The game is still stuck with Malta post. We have been checking the status daily. Hopefully it will happen before the end of the campaign.

If you are interested in his previous review and final thoughts, see these two links:

https://youtu.be/NHzlu61cb5U
[url]
https://youtu.be/1c2KPlGWFRo[/url]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Omer Hertz
Israel
Kfar Vradim
Galil
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't really have a preference as to the order of exploit articles here, but I do have a suggestion -

Perhaps you could provide a general explanation of how exploits actually work in the game? I know there's some information on the Kickstarter page but I'd really appreciate a more detailed one, and I'd bet that I'm not alone in this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Specter
United States
Belmont
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
3 Exploits are chosen at random at the start of the game. Each Exploit has 2 Region crests. When those Regions become open--their shipping track is complete--on the main board, the Exploit is unlocked and can be used for its in game effects and end game scoring, by the players who have presence in the Region.

As you saw, each Exploit has a story to tell and mechanical tie-in to the Regions that it is connected to. Each is unique in the way it plays, and that is what we will delve into as part of the Spotlights.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernhard W
Australia
Townsville
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What size will the Exploit images be in the Lieutenant pledge? The FAQ only lists the Asset card sizes.

Do the exploits have a regular card size (Poker, Tarot, Dixit,... sized) that could be printed professionally if we pledged for the Lieutenant level? From measuring the 2 exploits in the PDF it looks like they are a custom size, leaving only a cheap photoshop DIY job as possibility for use in the 1st edition.

Are there any chances you could offer an add on for the Exploit deck (printing extra copies at your printer when the game gets produced?) to have a nicely finished product?

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Cappel
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
BeloW06 wrote:
What size will the Exploit images be in the Lieutenant pledge? The FAQ only lists the Asset card sizes.

Do the exploits have a regular card size (Poker, Tarot, Dixit,... sized) that could be printed professionally if we pledged for the Lieutenant level? From measuring the 2 exploits in the PDF it looks like they are a custom size, leaving only a cheap photoshop DIY job as possibility for use in the 1st edition.

Are there any chances you could offer an add on for the Exploit deck (printing extra copies at your printer when the game gets produced?) to have a nicely finished product?

Thanks.

The Exploits are big tiles... 7" x 4.75".

We don't currently have a plan to offer the Exploits as an add-on, sorry!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Cappel
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
New Exploit Spotlight is up!

• Exploit Spotlight #2: The Dutch East India Company
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Cappel
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
New Spotlight is posted!

• Exploit Spotlight #3: Saltpeter Stockpiles
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Cappel
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
New Spotlight is up... Jesuit Missionaries!

• Exploit Spotlight #4: Jesuit Missionaries
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Caracappa
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The exploits look to add great variability and replayability to this game and I am loving seeing them described here.

I see no mention of the exploits and their setup and play in the base instructions.

Will there be separate instructions or will they be incorporated into the base rulebook?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Cappel
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
JpC812 wrote:
The exploits look to add great variability and replayability to this game and I am loving seeing them described here.

I see no mention of the exploits and their setup and play in the base instructions.

Will there be separate instructions or will they be incorporated into the base rulebook?

There is going to be a separate Exploits rulebook. It will describe how they are incorporated into gameplay, define important new universal terms and mechanisms, and describe in detail each Exploit and its powers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Caracappa
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Outside Lime wrote:
JpC812 wrote:

There is going to be a separate Exploits rulebook. It will describe how they are incorporated into gameplay, define important new universal terms and mechanisms, and describe in detail each Exploit and its powers.

Thanks for the answer. Great to hear. I hope the additional rules look much like what you are doing here on BGG outlining each exploit, how it will likely affect play, strategy suggestions, and which other exploits it will work well with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Cappel
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
New Exploit Spotlight is posted:

• Exploit Spotlight #5: The Haitian Revolution
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Cappel
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sixth Exploit Spotlight is up!

• Exploit Spotlight #6: Manila Galleons
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ton Schalks
Netherlands
near Leiden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

@ Josh: could you please modest give us >

Exploit Spotlight #7: The Underground Railroad &
Exploit Spotlight #8: The Transit of Venus kiss

thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Cappel
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
tonami wrote:

@ Josh: could you please modest give us >

Exploit Spotlight #7: The Underground Railroad &
Exploit Spotlight #8: The Transit of Venus kiss

thumbsup

Underground Railroad is up next! (shhhhh)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Lo
msg tools
I like the Jesuit Missionary exploit very thematic and very important in the history of colonization!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Cappel
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A new and very much requested Spotlight is up... take a look at:

• Exploit Spotlight #7: The Underground Railroad
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Meister
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I left a comment on Update # 20 of the campaign page of Kickstarter.com about the exploits and here, as I'm not seeing where exactly to post my favorite Exploit for the contest, but My favorite one is #1 The Spice Trade. I love the artwork for the shields of Africa and India. I like the idea of shipping things and getting the rewards like the victory points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helaina Cappel
Canada
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cleansweep38 wrote:
I left a comment on Update # 20 of the campaign page of Kickstarter.com about the exploits and here, as I'm not seeing where exactly to post my favorite Exploit for the contest, but My favorite one is #1 The Spice Trade. I love the artwork for the shields of Africa and India. I like the idea of shipping things and getting the rewards like the victory points.

Hi Rich!

Follow the info in this post please:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/burntislandgames/endeav...

Thanks!

Helaina
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.