Subject: Tokaido with Crossroads = good replay value? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Iradian
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've played the basic game a few times and enjoyed it to some extent, but I heard the Crossroads expansions turns the game up a notch into more of a "gamer" turf without being overbearing to newbies. Is this true? Can it handle multiple plays without being bored or "going through the motions" ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it's ok without Crossroads. With everything thrown in, it's a much more fun game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward B.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the base game is very replayable without getting boring, but Crossroads does through more options in. If you like more things to do, then the expansion will make the game more replayable for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Cook
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Counterpoint: Crossroads takes a simple game and mucks it up.

One thing you can do is play over at Board Game Arena and see what you think.

EDIT - Rereading your post, if you are meh towards Tokaido, Crossroads isn't going to change that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Riddle

Oklahoma
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
we like the game no matter how we play it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swan Bones
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In our experience you will want to have a good feel of the game before adding the Crossroads expansion.

Although I think Bill's comment that
EMBison wrote:
Crossroads takes a simple game and mucks it up
isn't entirely true for us, I get where he is coming from. Crossroads does make the game less immediately accessible, and forces you to think more about probabilities and the wider game. As the joy of Tokaido is due in part to its relaxed wandering mechanics, Crossroads can make it seem counter-intuitive and especially so for new players. As such I would say re:
MarkyX wrote:
"gamer" turf without being overbearing to newbies
it does make it more gamery, but then newbies will probably be put off by addition of choices that don't explicitly suggest their immediate benefits.

So, IMHO it is probably not the fix you are looking for. And this I agree wholeheartedly with:
EMBison wrote:
if you are meh towards Tokaido, Crossroads isn't going to change that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack S
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm familiar with playing Tokaido's base game and had a chance to play with the Crossroads expansion once with friends that were already experienced with it.

I enjoy playing Tokaido for its simplicity and ease of play, especially in teaching new players as well as just something light to engage in over some talk. Perhaps it was playing with others that had already played with the expansion multiple times, but I found it a bit frustrating when they were all jumping towards certain cards or strategies while I was still trying to grok all the new parts, and the new aspects in the expansion muddled up the simplicity that I've come to appreciate in the game.

I think it is a fun expansion to have, but it depends on what you're looking for in the Tokaido experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Krasny
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EMBison wrote:

EDIT - Rereading your post, if you are meh towards Tokaido, Crossroads isn't going to change that.

Untrue, Crossroads turns tokaido from a fairly light game, into a much deeper game of decision making. I know at least one person who was very "meh" on tokaido and after trying crossroads he was so hardcore he helped me write a guide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.