Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Publications » Game Related Comics

Subject: Jenga and the Meaning of Life rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The hardest part of becoming a self-made man has got to be creating your own DNA sequences.
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am.
mbmbmbmbmb

(Continued...)

From the explanation on the comic page:

Quote:
For Heidegger, the most authentic mode of being was "Being-Towards-Death", which means being while fully aware and understanding that our death is coming. Death doesn't take place in our life, it is outside of life and experience, but still we must live knowing that everything we do brings us closer to death. While this knowledge brings us angst, if we don't live acknowledging the true nature of our existence, we are living inauthentically.

For Camus, the question of whether or not we should kill ourselves was in some way the central question of life. It wasn't until we could answer this most basic question that we could answer the more concrete problems of life. Without knowing whether or not life was worth living, for example, we could not say whether or not we should chase pleasure or crusade for political justice.

For Simone de Beauvoir, the question of whether or not we should kill ourselves was incoherent. We are thrust into existence and forced to take action, the question of what sort of form that action would take, and what kind of lives we intended to live were the only possible things we could ask ourselves. Questions about the value or meaning of life were questions outside of life itself, so not relevant to what we must do while we exist, which is to take on projects in the world.

In Buddhist traditions, coming to full enlightenment meant understand our part in the universe, and unraveling the illusions that are presented to us by everyday myths of existence. Suffering is caused by desires towards material attachments or achievements, such as winning pointless games, and ultimate enlightenment somehow moves us past the constraints of these attachments, allowing us to understand that our existence is transient.

Oh, and also, Heidegger was a loser who lost at everything. That's a well known historical fact.

As that renowned philosopher Al Davis said: "Just win, baby!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Cook
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Quote:
Unless there is something in Buddhism that proves Camus cheated, I don't care

That needs to be on a bumper sticker
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Credit where credit is due:
https://existentialcomics.com/comic/226
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
DURHAM
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't there something wrong with the tower? After de Beauvoir takes her turn, the top of the tower should be a complete row (we can see her with the block in hand and 2 blocks on top), but the frame with Buddha shows an incomplete row still. Did she pocket the block? What's going on?

OTOH, I loved the comic so maybe these details are unimportant...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manning
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
loofish wrote:
Did she pocket the block?
Exactly, pocketing as many blocks as she can is her "project."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Varela
Chile
Santiago
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From the same source: The Germans Play Monopoly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.