Recommend
67 
 Thumb up
 Hide
43 Posts
Prev «  1 , 2  | 

Root» Forums » News

Subject: Designer Diary - John Riverfolk Company rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cole Wehrle
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kouhan wrote:
What is the cube count per faction? I thought the woodland alliance had 25 cubes like the cats... (However it is true that some of the cubes will be used as military actions).

Riverfolk services seem to be expensive for the vagabond, that begins with only a few items...

Riverboat service mean players can move without ruling the initial clearing? Does Riverboat service mean Extra Move actions? I'm in!

Current counts are as follows:
x25 Cats
x25 Lizards
x20 Eyrie
x15 Otters
x10 Alliance

You are right that the services are most expensive for the Vagabond. The Vagabond is a little more like a supplier, in that their relationship with the Riverfolk is one where they give cards to get items and points. Of course, in the late game, some Vagabond's may be rich enough to take advantage of their services.

The Riverboat allows folks to use the river as if it were adjacent. In practice, this amounts to a +1 move in many instances.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anjovi Kulam
Canada
Prince George
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Cole Wehrle wrote:
[q="Kouhan"]
Of course, in the late game, some Vagabond's may be rich enough to take advantage of their services.

I get the image of the vagabond and a band of hired otter mercs. Is it safe to assume that once you become "allies" that you can run off with their soldiers? Does also conjure the image of the darned otters showing their true colors once the other factions use those same troops against you.

This all looks really fun! The new vagabond revamp looks great, to the point where I believe the claim that it feels like a sort of adventure RPG with the war in the background.

Those esoteric lizard people look interesting as well. (Loving what seems to be a reference to all that conspiracy theory folklore)

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
anjovi154 wrote:
Is it safe to assume that once you become "allies" that you can run off with their soldiers?

Quite safe!


Quote:

Those esoteric lizard people look interesting as well. (Loving what seems to be a reference to all that conspiracy theory folklore)


Shhh, they might hear.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Hughes
United Kingdom
Colchester
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Loving both the artwork and the concept for the otters. You folks are knocking it out of the park!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
2dTones wrote:
Loving both the artwork and the concept for the otters. You folks are knocking it out of the park!
It otter be good!
11 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking forward to this rather a lot.

Keep on going!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
arry -
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
GreenM wrote:
I would love to and I have several bids from local firms for adapting Vast and Root. If anyone wants to throw their hat into the ring I am all ears. I think Root would be easier to adapt but I would like to start with Vast.
Mind expanding how it works? Who bids what to whom?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jozan
Spain
Malaga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cole Wehrle wrote:


Current counts are as follows:
x25 Cats
x25 Lizards
x20 Eyrie
x15 Otters
x10 Alliance


@Cole, it would be very very valuable for those who have the PnP to all the late rules updated in the PnP. Or maybe just a brief compendium on changes, like the Vagabond's use of swords, the new meeple count, the rules for 1vs1. At this point is a bit hard to keep track of all this little updates and we'd really appreciate having the ruleset up to date.

Just saying!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
usagi_visk wrote:
Cole Wehrle wrote:


Current counts are as follows:
x25 Cats
x25 Lizards
x20 Eyrie
x15 Otters
x10 Alliance


@Cole, it would be very very valuable for those who have the PnP to all the late rules updated in the PnP. Or maybe just a brief compendium on changes, like the Vagabond's use of swords, the new meeple count, the rules for 1vs1. At this point is a bit hard to keep track of all this little updates and we'd really appreciate having the ruleset up to date.

Just saying!

Because of this project's timeline, I haven't been able to support the PNPs beyond answering rules. The PNPs are just snapshots of our process. For this reason, we spend a fair amount of time polishing the PNP so that it's a somewhat self-contained game that can pretty well stand on its own.

Usually, the day after I release a PNP, I fork the rules and start tearing out systems that I wasn't 100% happy with. Development is a messy process and I didn't want to exhaust everyone with the day to day changes.

All of that said...we do have something special planned for next week thst will allow you to update your kit.
12 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom K
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Intrigue!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A B
msg tools
If this stuff weren't stolen based on Deep I'd actually be interested in it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Reminder: Antagonistic, hateful, insulting, or otherwise disruptive comments ARE NOT welcome here.

Please use the
icon when you see disruptive or antagonistic comments or any other violations of the Community Rules. This serves two purposes:

1- using the
icon will bring that post to the attention of forum moderators so they can deal with it appropriately. We prefer that you not respond to the post directly. Responding invites the offender to continue, and if you respond aggressively you may end up dragging yourself down with the offender.

2- if enough users flag a post using the
icon then that post will be hidden from general view, preventing others from being exposed to it.

Thanks!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gilbertson
United States
Duluth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
Reminder: Antagonistic, hateful, insulting, or otherwise disruptive comments ARE NOT welcome here.

Please use the
icon when you see disruptive or antagonistic comments or any other violations of the Community Rules. This serves two purposes:

1- using the
icon will bring that post to the attention of forum moderators so they can deal with it appropriately. We prefer that you not respond to the post directly. Responding invites the offender to continue, and if you respond aggressively you may end up dragging yourself down with the offender.

2- if enough users flag a post using the
icon then that post will be hidden from general view, preventing others from being exposed to it.

Thanks!
... what the heck?

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
[This space intentionally left blank]
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grim Norsefury wrote:
Octavian wrote:
Reminder: Antagonistic, hateful, insulting, or otherwise disruptive comments ARE NOT welcome here.

Please use the
icon when you see disruptive or antagonistic comments or any other violations of the Community Rules. This serves two purposes:

1- using the
icon will bring that post to the attention of forum moderators so they can deal with it appropriately. We prefer that you not respond to the post directly. Responding invites the offender to continue, and if you respond aggressively you may end up dragging yourself down with the offender.

2- if enough users flag a post using the
icon then that post will be hidden from general view, preventing others from being exposed to it.

Thanks!
... what the heck?

If a post gets flagged as a rules violation by too many people Octavian gets alerted. In this case it likely was the post just before Octavian's. The post you are quoting is just his standard boilerplate post, even if it doesn't fit perfectly into a given situation like here.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gilbertson
United States
Duluth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ze_German_Guy wrote:
Grim Norsefury wrote:
Octavian wrote:
Reminder: Antagonistic, hateful, insulting, or otherwise disruptive comments ARE NOT welcome here.

Please use the
icon when you see disruptive or antagonistic comments or any other violations of the Community Rules. This serves two purposes:

1- using the
icon will bring that post to the attention of forum moderators so they can deal with it appropriately. We prefer that you not respond to the post directly. Responding invites the offender to continue, and if you respond aggressively you may end up dragging yourself down with the offender.

2- if enough users flag a post using the
icon then that post will be hidden from general view, preventing others from being exposed to it.

Thanks!
... what the heck?

If a post gets flagged as a rules violation by too many people Octavian gets alerted. In this case it likely was the post just before Octavian's. The post you are quoting is just his standard boilerplate post, even if it doesn't fit perfectly into a given situation like here.
... alarming none the less surprise

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter S.
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
GreenM wrote:
I would love to and I have several bids from local firms for adapting Vast and Root. If anyone wants to throw their hat into the ring I am all ears. I think Root would be easier to adapt but I would like to start with Vast.

For Vast I'd like to start with the Knight's solo game and add the content I developed for the solo campaign that hasn't be published. If we like where that is going start to build in the other roles.
Can I request here (even if it's a little out of place) that the start really be to develop a "How to Play" tutorial module for each faction (using a simple and scripted single-player scenario)?

I think that would be a HUGE help to teaching VAST right now (easily its biggest hurdle), and could later be folded into an app (where you'd likely need tutorials anyway).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chakroun Karim
France
Besancon
Franche-Comté
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mb
Do we use 2xd4 in PNP v3 still? can't see it mentioned anywhere and the learn to play booklet has 12-sided dice pictured (for commodity I imagine)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris W
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
carthaginian wrote:
Do we use 2xd4 in PNP v3 still? can't see it mentioned anywhere and the learn to play booklet has 12-sided dice pictured (for commodity I imagine)

Yup, the dice have not changed in this version.

For pnp use 2 d4s. 4 = 0

The game will ship with 2 custom d12s.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  |