Subject: New to wargames, choosing my first COIN game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Nygaard
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Recently got Pericles: The Peloponnesian Wars as my first war game. I'm relatively new to heavier games in general, with a couple games of 1846 under my belt.

The COIN series is very intriguing, but I'm not sure where to start. My play group is ...less interested in the heavier side of games than I am. They're also less nerdy about game mechanics.

So should I start with the simplest game in Cuba Libre, or go for the one that most captures my imagination with Ghandi? Should I care more about theme or accessibility?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petr Míka
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Falling Sky is also considered as an entry level COIN. Because you've written your gaming group prefers lighter games, I would go with this or Cuba Libre. Unless there is a COIN which theme would interest your whole group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you trying to get that group who doesnt want to play to play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff K
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: THIS IS AN EX-PARROT!Microbadge: My contribution was deemed PyuredeadbrilliantMicrobadge: GameChat League - Long Division Microbadge: Tolkien fanMicrobadge: You've been Caked
COIN are great game, for sure. But to me it does not sound like your game group is going to be very receptive. For a non-heavy gamer, these can be way too much.

I would strongly suggest something a bit lighter to ease them in to this style of games. If you want wargamey, I might suggest Wallenstein (second edition) or Shogun Big Box (same game, more or less). If you want a bit heavier, I'd suggest Time of Crisis: The Roman Empire in Turmoil, 235-284 AD. I'd give these a shot before you tried to introduce a COIN title. Especially if you are new to wargames yourself. They can be extremely challenging to teach (being very exception-heavy), and if the teaching goes awry, that will sour them on the games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ulrik Bøe
Norway
Oslo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Generally I'll always tell people to start with their favourite theme, but you're trying to get your group interested. Maybe ask them if any of the games looks particularly intriguing? It will be easier to hook them if they have a genuine interest in the period.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls