Popular Tags: [View All]
Maarten Cappaert
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We finished our adventures trying to lift the curse of the Voracious Goddess on a low note in a game we otherwise enjoyed very much.

Our first attempt ended after 2 hours in exhaustion...
Spoiler (click to reveal)
...after we landed on the eastern shore 7th Continent and didn't yet understand how important hunting is. Crucially, we didn't get far enough in to get a good feel for the size of the continent.

We hoped our second attempt would fare better
...realizing how important hunting and keeping your action deck refreshed are.

Our second attempt lasted a lot longer and we were initially excited that we did so well to stay in the game. Ultimately, it ended in frustration again.
We entered the 7th Continent on the eastern shore again. We adventured for 6 hours, once more heading north based on the clue and trying to find the landmarks. We eventually started wondering which way north is relative to the clue card's orientation and how distinct those landmarks on it would be. After we couldn't go any further north, we finally thought perhaps there's a shore further south and headed that way, hoping we'd encounter the landmarks in reverse order. Alas we ended up landing on the exact same tile on the eastern shore we started on.
via a tunnel in the river that took us to a remote island from which you end up on the eastern shore again.

One small design change could have made all the difference in our experience though.
For the first curse, we feel it's crucial that the players actually land on the southern shore of the content. We started venturing up from the eastern shore, looking for the dotted rock or the idol on the clue card. We didn't have a good sense of the continent's size, the difficulty level, or the clarity of the map on the clue card. We wandered far too long and far.
You could argue we missed the important clue on the starting island but the game gives you a sense of "leave this island asap or die", so on both run-throughs we focused on building a raft and leaving.

We think what would make this first experience far more enjoyable is:
Force the player to land in the general vicinity of where the path of the clue takes you. Make sure the first landmark is easy to find and make the exploring more interesting from that point forward. On both our runs we didn't find the optimal route to the island as the flavor text gave us a sense of urgency for leaving the starting island.
The eastern shore is, from what we can tell now, on the opposite side of the continent.

We feel this would be better because:
Our 6 hour trek did not only spoil our enjoyment of our first adventure, but we now also have already seen far more of the continent and ran into numerous things that seem relevant to other curses. This permanently has taken away some of the magic and excitement of future games.

On a side note:
we also thought the majority of interactions were very negative, it would be nice to have some more small victories here and there to encourage us to continue.

If you're new to the game, the best tip I can give you is:
Start over when you land on the eastern coast of the 7th Continent, you'll far more enjoy, not only the Voracious Goddess curse, but future curses as well.

I'd love to hear from those who had a similar run-through.

edit: fixed typos and ambiguous wording
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We twice arrived at the wrong point on the continent so the map was no help, and yes we too saw a lot of the continent that didn't relate to the curse, but I don't think that did do us harm. Some of the subsequent curses seem to assume you have explored most of the continent, so those curse would have been more frustrating if we'd been more efficient with VG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Ukrop
Slovakia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is important to follow the map closely, from the first island to the small island and
then North.
Also, the map says "FT16" here, which helped us to be sure we are on the right track. I'll not spoil what that means if you don't know yet.

We really thought we were lost later (between numbers 5 and 6) but it turned out we were not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Divinski
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't you mean the EAST coast? (Assuming 7C cards align with up being North, left being West, right being East, and bottom being South?)

Also, I don't understand your logic. On discovering that you were off the map, why did you try to find the first location on it, rather than try to locate one of the later landmarks and continuing forward towards the destination?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten Cappaert
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
randiv wrote:
Don't you mean the EAST coast?
Yes you are right, I messed that up and did mean to say EAST coast.

randiv wrote:
why did you try to find the first location on it, rather than try to locate one of the later landmarks and continuing forward towards the destination?
We simply headed North based on the clue card and didn't encounter any distinct landmark. We also thought lifting the curse would involve a sequence of actions at each location, triggering things at other locations.
Only when we had a better understanding of the scale of the continent did we start to realize that the river crossing that we encountered earlier was the gorge on the top of the clue card. Still, the gorge could've stretched the entire continent as far as we knew, so we continued heading north. If the first landmark we'd encountered was the dotted hill, we'd have a much better sense of location since it's such an obvious landmark.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtiss Cox
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
For my part, I really enjoyed seeing the little clues and hints that would eventually be fully investigated in other curses.

That had the opposite effect on us, as it made us excited to return and poke around the places we didn't have time to fully explore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten Cappaert
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dill wrote:
It is important to follow the map closely, from the first island to the small island and
then North.
Also, the map says "FT16" here, which helped us to be sure we are on the right track. I'll not spoil what that means if you don't know yet.
Yes, I agree (hence my tip at the end).
We were really mislead by the sense of urgency in the flavor-text on the first few cards... ie. "stay here and you'll surely die" We took this as a cue to get off ASAP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
Menin Gate at Midnight, Will Longstaff, 1927.
badge
"At the landing, and here ever since" - Anzac Book, p. 35.
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I just won our first game, and we landed on the eastern shore. We treated this less as a race against time, more as 'a need to prepare ourselves for the next hunt while simultaneously solving the curse', and it paid off.

I would NOT recommend restarting if you land on the east shore! There is absolutely nothing wrong with that!

Check out the spoilers here for some ideas on how we survived: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1963493/query-finishing-cur...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sesta
United States
Matthews
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the intention of "leave this island or die" is that your food options are extremely limited and you will succumb to the curse if you hang around too long. I can see how you felt moved to leave the island quickly though.

For my part I am not sure where the other landing points are off of tutorial island besides the map given one but I'm excited to see if I've all ready discovered them while wandering around since we have gone way off course at other points while doing VG.

As others have pointed out you aren't really removing the magic as much as preparing yourself for future curses. Not only the curses assume you know much of the continent, the clue cards are MUCH less helpful overall than on VG. I felt as you did when we veered off course, but now that I've done several curses I am glad we weren't banging our heads against the wall more on the other curses.

Enjoy the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten Cappaert
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jsesta84 wrote:
Not only the curses assume you know much of the continent, the clue cards are MUCH less helpful overall than on VG.

Interesting, I look forward to see how our knowledge of the island helps our ability to solve other curses.

For this curse, I still think we would've enjoyed ourselves better exploring the path in the clue along with the small victories of finding those landmarks along the way. There's a difference between following the path of the clue for 6 hours versus wandering around to find anything that could be part the clue.

We'll find out soon if all that wandering helps us enjoy the other curses better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls