Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
67 Posts
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Trades

Subject: Guide to Packaging! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Shipping [+] Math-Trade-Info [+] MT [+] rubberbands [+] informative [+] buy-sell-trade [+] [View All]
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
Aljovin wrote:
LankyEngineer wrote:
- I will label the box on several sides as fragile. This does not cost anything extra and will alert the postal carrier to be careful.
Or tell them they can kick it around, I'm not sure it's really taken into consideration

Yea, I had to laugh at this one too. "alert" to be "careful"... or make your package stand out as Chris said to play frisbee with
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
While sleeping, watch!
United States
Unspecified
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The production of Hoffman lenses is incumbent upon all true scientists
badge
The tallest mountains, the darkest forests, the deepest deserts, the oldest books, there you will find the stone.
mbmbmbmbmb
edosan wrote:
crp_rulz wrote:

1. Never use peanuts... they shift around and don't ensure that there is always an equal amount of space between the box side and the item being shipped (that means crushed box could equal crushed item baddd) (Don't believe me? ever open a bag of chips and thought what was the company doing selling a half empty bag of chips? Well the bag was full when it left the factory, but the chips all shifted around and now it appears that the bag is half full. What if those chips were peanuts? Now the top of your item is completely exposed)

Between ebay, trading, and my wife's home office, we get 10-20 packages a week. I have never seen what you describe. Maybe if you don't use enough peanuts, I suppose this would happen.

Seconded. Peanuts are nearly essential to ensure a good shipping experience, especially with glass! If you use only bubble wrap (or worse those big air packs) without peanuts shattering is likely ensured. Peanuts provide slight deformation and give, where as air trapped in plastic is hard in comparison. (though two layers bubblewrap around standard glass, then in a tight fitting box, then box with bubblewrap is best). The key in my mind is filling the box with peanuts so that on closing it, it is slightly overfilled/taught. This wont damage a game during normal shipment. I've shipped a lot, and bought a lot over the years, and peanuts are where its at (I like the green ones best, but good white and pink ones work well too - save those things, they are expensive!). I hate the cornstarch ones and they are not worth it as long as the Styrofoam ones you use and receive get recycled. If you work or are a student in academia, most science labs have so many of these they are tossed out every day. Get them there if you can.

Still like bubble wrap, thy bubble wrap vs. peanuts in as small a volume as you can in an egg drop off a few stories. Test it for yourself. Peanuts have always been better for me given a similar space/volume. Of course if you allow for any volume, and you use enough, bubblewrap will come around for working.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Picard
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do some eBaying here and there and I second the notion of hanging on to packing material, etc. The stuff is absurdly expensive bought retail and reusing means less junk in the landfill.

Picked up some great tips in this thread.

Thanks gang!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Easton
United States
Casey
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
Aljovin wrote:
LankyEngineer wrote:
- I will label the box on several sides as fragile. This does not cost anything extra and will alert the postal carrier to be careful.
Or tell them they can kick it around, I'm not sure it's really taken into consideration

Yea, I had to laugh at this one too. "alert" to be "careful"... or make your package stand out as Chris said to play frisbee with

As I am a postal carrier, I guess that's totally subjective. I am always careful with packages that are marked fragile, but I cannot vouch for what happened before it got to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Kinney
United States
Bellefontaine
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
crp_rulz wrote:
1. Never use peanuts... they shift around and don't ensure that there is always an equal amount of space between the box side and the item being shipped

Loose peanuts might shift around, but if they are packed in correctly, they aren't going anywhere.

By packed correctly I mean that they are actually packed into place, it should take a little effort to compress them enought to close the box, and that the object being packed is large relative to the size of the peanuts themselves.

I have to say that of the many hundreds of boxes I've received all manner of items in over the years, I can count the number of them subjected to any real violence on one hand. (And some of those containers were damaged by the original supplier, not the carrier.)

So I'm not going to take a lot of time and effort attempting to circumvent a danger that doesn't exist by building shipping containers to survive atmospheric re-entry. As long as the item is cushioned, and doesn't shift in the container it'll survive from here to there in perfect shape 99% of the time.

Yes, there are exceptions, but that's what common sense and shipping insurance is for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Andrews
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
OCD with the Letters in the Right Order!
badge
Squirrel Chaser
mbmbmbmbmb
LankyEngineer wrote:
- Ship everything in a structurally sound, undamaged box. Priority envelopes or games wrapped in butcher paper are NOT sufficient.

Would this still apply for magazine games?

I just listed my wargame magazine collection and expect to be selling some of them over the coming year. Most people, when asked, choose the priority envelope rather than a box, which would cost more to ship. Should I both asking? I do see some risk of bending, but the games are fairly stiff anyway.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated

Brad
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When compiling these tips, I hadn't thought of magazine games, promotional pieces, or other small expansions. I usually err on the side of caution and might be inclined to ship it in a box or sandwich it between several layers of sturdy cardboard.

Personally, I'd contact the recipient prior to shipping to see what their preference is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Andrews
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Squirrel Chaser
mbmbmbmbmb
LankyEngineer wrote:
Personally, I'd contact the recipient prior to shipping to see what their preference is.

I like that in principle, but it delays every transaction.

I think I will add a note to my sales that anyone wanting magazines shipped differently than a priority mailer should contact me. That way they can let me know if they want it differently.

Thanks for the comment!

Brad
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Johnson
United States
South Range
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One time a guy shipped me 2 games both crammed into a flat rate box. the box was expanded around the 2 games. Another time someone shipped me a game in a flat rate box, and there was no packing material whatsoever! needless to say, it was just rattling around in there. Both times the games did not fare well in the shipping.
It is best to pick a shipping box that is big enough to be able to pack it so there is at least 2 inches of packing material all around the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Maxwell
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just wanted to bump this thread. I got a game trade today where a boxed game had been put into a Ready Post envelope, sealed up and mailed, with no padding. Not surprisingly this "very good" condition game wasn't in that shape when it got to me, one side had been crushed to just short of ripping the box. Worse yet its a OOP game, so getting a replacement box is pretty much out of the question. The game was complete otherwise, so I'm not expecting much from the shipper sincve there's not much they can do, but its another example of why packing is so important.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Sherman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
andrews777 wrote:
LankyEngineer wrote:
- Ship everything in a structurally sound, undamaged box. Priority envelopes or games wrapped in butcher paper are NOT sufficient.

I just listed my wargame magazine collection and expect to be selling some of them over the coming year. Most people, when asked, choose the priority envelope rather than a box, which would cost more to ship. Should I both asking? I do see some risk of bending, but the games are fairly stiff anyway.

Brad

Probably too late to be helpful, but if that's what the buyer wants, I'd at least slip a piece of corrugated cardboard in the envelope to try to keep the magazine from getting bent or something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here in the UK, I have discovered a really good way of packing Avalon Hill bookcase games.

We use A4 size paper rather than Letter size on this side of the pond , and it is sold in reams of 500 sheets, with 5 reams being packed in a stout cardboard box.

I find I can take these boxes, trim the base and the lid down to the same height as the game box, so I get a snug fit for the game. I then fit the packed box into a jiffy bag mailer.

It's waterproof, and (as one recipient told me), just about bomb-proof!

Unfortunately, it's only good for AH (and also Games Workshop and Jedko) bookcase games. Those pesky SPI, TSR, West End, GMT, Avalance Press etc. don't fit! soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Andrews
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Squirrel Chaser
mbmbmbmbmb
edosan wrote:
andrews777 wrote:
LankyEngineer wrote:

Brad

Probably too late to be helpful, but if that's what the buyer wants, I'd at least slip a piece of corrugated cardboard in the envelope to try to keep the magazine from getting bent or something.

I do often put cardboard in, if it will fit. I agree that strengthening things is worthwhile.

Most buyers of my magazine games have wanted a plain mailer. No complaints yet, but I leave it up to them to choose. Technically, I note that it is going in a USPS Priority Mailer and let them request a shipping price for a box. I use USPS Priority Mailers for almost everything.

Brad
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Brent Ward
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andrews777 wrote:
LankyEngineer wrote:

I use them all the time for magazine games... just don't try to cram too many into the envelope. I normally can fit two games.

Always include a piece of cardboard to prevent bending and tape the edges (the seams of the envelope) because I've received some that were torn without it. The tape around the edges will just add some extra protection to the envelope.

The cardboard is necessary because the mailman will ALWAYS try to bend it depending on the size of your mailbox.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hawkeye
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a great thread and, for what it's worth, I have had negative experiences with USPS, FEDEX and UPS. Mostly they all successfully get your packages from one place to another at a reasonable cost, but each of them has failed catastrophically at one time or another.

My package from Cool Stuff, for instance, is at the UPS facility 5 liles from my house. It will be there until Tuesday because, even though it arrived this morning, it arrived too late for delivery. They won't let me go pick it up and, unlike the USPS, they don't deliver on Saturday.

But FedEx screwed up my Noble Knight order and the USPS takes a backseat to no one the "Where's my Package" arena ...

All of them have wrecked packages.

Just armor your package as best you can and drop your dice in the top of the shipping dice tower ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kimmel
United States
FPO
AP
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting thread!

There seems to be a consensus that it's at the discretion of each party how they will pack games, but I wholeheartedly disagree. Discretion does not even enter into the equation. If the condition of the game was discussed as part of the trade, then you are contractually obligated to attempt to deliver the game in that condition.

Admittedly, this is both vague and impossible to enforce, but just because people can get away with being thoughtless and lazy doesn't mean that it is ok for them to do so.

Neither can damage in transit be blamed entirely on the carrier. Any well packed box will survive rough handling by UPS, USPS or FedEx. To me, blaming the carrier for damaging a poorly packed box sounds like an excuse.

There have been lots of excellent packing suggestions here, but I want to add two to the list:

1. Avoid packaging materials that will become useless if they get wet. This means no paper and no "peanuts" made from corn starch.

2. Do not pack games so that they might be damaged when the box is opened. In other words, if a game is close to the top seam of the box, put a piece of cardboard under that seam before sealing it up. That way, a person opening the box doesn't cut through the top of the game box when they cut through the packing tape.

There are many ways to prevent shipping damage, and all of them require either time or money. But occasionally people will put their personal convenience ahead of their contractual obligations, and will view any expenditure of time or money in boxing up their games as optional.

The bottom line is this: if a person isn't willing to put any effort into packing up their games for shipment, they shouldn't be trading here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Nieman
United States
Simi Valley
California (CA)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kimerupooru wrote:
The bottom line is this: if a person isn't willing to put any effort into packing up their games for shipment, they shouldn't be trading here.

No single phrase about packing games to other BGGers is more important than this one.

Thanks. And good packing to everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Sherman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
A related note on packaging and shipping:

DO NOT SHIP GAMES MEDIA MAIL.

First of all, a board game is not "media." A book is "media." A compact disc is "media." Additionally, throwing a book in the box does not magically transform a game into a qualifying package.

Second, you may save a couple of bucks -- clever you! -- but media mail is just about the slowest form of shipping the USPS has to offer. Expect notes from your recipient asking where their package is.

Finally, you may get lucky and not have your package inspected, but if you do and if they decide it isn't media it will arrive at its destination postage due, assuming they just don't return it to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Ho
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
diehard4life wrote:
NEVER USE USPS Parcel Post--their handling is much of the problem... In fact, I no longer use USPS at all.

An insider told me that Priority is handled with much more care, and that many boxes are used like frisbees with Parcel Post... Seriously. One of my best friends worked at USPS, and his Dad was a Postmaster.

You are so correct about USPS Parcel. One time I decided to use USPS Parcel to send some games, and the postal worker just tossed the box like a frisbee into the bin right there in front of me. It was like they were trained to do that to make sure we will use Priority next time. I was shocked at his behavior and handling of the package. My dad is a Postmaster, so I have a lot of respect for the USPS, but they sure lost some of my respect that day. Luckily for the recipient of the games, I packaged the games really well, as all the games got to him in great shape.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
Australia
flag msg tools
rbwphx wrote:
The cardboard is necessary because the mailman will ALWAYS try to bend it depending on the size of your mailbox.

Write "Do Not Bend" on the package.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
An ash I know, Yggdrasil its name. With water white is the great tree wet; thence come the dews that fall in the dales. Green by Urth's well does it ever grow.
mbmbmbmbmb
I wanted to share a bit of a clever shipping idea I have recently used.

I was shipping the paper promo boards for Settlers of Catan, namely the Catan Geographies Ohio, Westphalia, etc. and did not want them to be damaged.

They were an odd size, folded square, flat, nearly 12x12".

So I grabbed a couple of old LPs and pitched the records in the bin, and found that the slipcovers worked excellently for a rigid package after wrapping them in copious amounts of packaging tape.

FYI: I "band" anything I ship with packaging tape. In addition to the "H-Tape" minimum, I always do several perpendicular circumferential double-ply wraps of packing tape around the box. I pay particular attention to the periphery, as I know that a dropped box often bursts at these spots. This results in an extremely sound box or shipped item. I even band bubble mailers when shipping parts, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chu
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Time to stock up on shipping material...

50% off your total purchase of mailing and shipping supplies from staples

http://reg.e.staples.com/c/s/tagfrm/hBL-2lBB7SHGCB8J-3fDvg3R...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EGG Head
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also don't forget to include a slip of paper inside the box with address on it in case the outside address becomes unreadable or is ripped off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McMurray
United States
Jamestown
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In reply to the question about magazine games I will share how I would deal with it. I ship a lot of comics and I always ship them the same way. I take two piece of corrugated cardboard with the grain going opposite ways and cut them just larger than the comic when it is bagged and boarded. I sandwich the comic between them and tape it on all sides. Then I stick that inside of a bubble mailer. I stamp DO NOT BEND on the outside and out it goes. I have received some praise for taking to time to send the comics out in this way so i guess I'm doing something right.

Again the main thing to remember is send out the item in the way you would like to receive it. I have received a few comics in the mail that were sent in a regular non padded envelope not even bagged or boarded. Needless to say the comic arrived in pretty bad shape and I sent the comic back for a full refund.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keel Curtis
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone in another thread suggested medium size Priority Mail flat rate boxes. Those will work great for my 2" bookshelf games.

Has anyone shipped the 4" bookcase games though? They are a bit too deep to fit in the medium boxes, and it looks like they would only barely fit in a large one, probably not enough room for padding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.