Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
67 Posts
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Trades

Subject: Guide to Packaging! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Shipping [+] Math-Trade-Info [+] MT [+] rubberbands [+] informative [+] buy-sell-trade [+] [View All]
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For games that size, I typically check the box bin at work or nearby retail stores. I also save boxes from game retailers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Spitzley
United States
Belleville
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just wanted to note something I hadn't seen offered by the USPS before: Priority Mail Large Flat Rate Board Game Boxes! - https://shop.usps.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDispl... . I can actually use these for some of the "old style" boardgames I pick up at garage sales.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

If you're printing the address/shipping label on an inkjet printer check if your ink is waterproof. Take anything you've printed out, dip a finger in water, and run it across the printing. Does it smudge? Put some packing tape over the destination and return addresses, so that any dew, condensation, rain, wet fingers, or leaky trucks don't send the package to the dead letter office.

If you are printing out any shipping labels with bar codes do not put tape over barcodes!

Andrew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Hooper
United States
Rockford
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tape EVERY seam -- not just the flaps on the top and bottom of the box, but along the edges; use good strong plastic tape.

When re-using boxes, especially those that have previously been taped with "paper" tape, re-tape those parts. When that paper stuff gets wet, the seam will split open.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You can't handle the truth?
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
crp_rulz wrote:
1. Never use peanuts... they shift around and don't ensure that there is always an equal amount of space between the box side and the item being shipped (that means crushed box could equal crushed item baddd) (Don't believe me? ever open a bag of chips and thought what was the company doing selling a half empty bag of chips? Well the bag was full when it left the factory, but the chips all shifted around and now it appears that the bag is half full. What if those chips were peanuts? Now the top of your item is completely exposed)

I love packing peanuts, and fully endorse their usage.

I know this was posted a long time ago, but something inside me just had to reply to it.

In the "half full chip bag" example, you have it wrong.

The chips in the bag are the cargo, and the air is the packing material. That bag of chips left the factory loosly packed, and full of air to protect those darn things. A bag of chips full to the brim, without the air, would be dust by the time it reached a store.

Packing peanuts for everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Hooper
United States
Rockford
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
crambaza wrote:
crp_rulz wrote:
1. Never use peanuts... they shift around and don't ensure that there is always an equal amount of space between the box side and the item being shipped (that means crushed box could equal crushed item baddd) (Don't believe me? ever open a bag of chips and thought what was the company doing selling a half empty bag of chips? Well the bag was full when it left the factory, but the chips all shifted around and now it appears that the bag is half full. What if those chips were peanuts? Now the top of your item is completely exposed)

I love packing peanuts, and fully endorse their usage.

I know this was posted a long time ago, but something inside me just had to reply to it.

In the "half full chip bag" example, you have it wrong.

The chips in the bag are the cargo, and the air is the packing material. That bag of chips left the factory loosly packed, and full of air to protect those darn things. A bag of chips full to the brim, without the air, would be dust by the time it reached a store.

Packing peanuts for everyone!

Indeed! The key is to use enough peanuts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Hopkins
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to see games covered in those plastic sealable bags. Keeps 'em nice and clean if they get wet or something's spilled on them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob D
United States
Largo
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anybody who has ordered flat rate boxes from usps.com know if they arrive staggered if you get more than one size? I've ordered some mediums, larges, and board game sizes and so far only the mediums have arrived. They all indicated they were in stock when I ordered online, but maybe they ship from different warehouses or something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Hooper
United States
Rockford
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know for sure, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Arnold
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any key tips on the best places to buy (or better yet, procure free) some great packing materials?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Hooper
United States
Rockford
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Monkeyman wrote:
Any key tips on the best places to buy (or better yet, procure free) some great packing materials?

You could always check with local game stores. Often times they have packing materials left over when they receive shipments from their distributors. Ask if you can have that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
budsticky wrote:
Does anybody who has ordered flat rate boxes from usps.com know if they arrive staggered if you get more than one size? I've ordered some mediums, larges, and board game sizes and so far only the mediums have arrived. They all indicated they were in stock when I ordered online, but maybe they ship from different warehouses or something?

If ordered a few times and the different sizes were wrapped in their own plastic. I've had them all show up within a week, and other times had them take 3-4 weeks. I would guess they can ship separately but I've always gotten mine at the same time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Monkeyman wrote:

Anytime you buy stuff from amazon or places online, save the packing materials in a box or garbage bag. Like of you order fr coolstuff, they use a tom of peanuts. Save that stuff!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Armstrong
United States
Wisconsin Rapids
WI
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I made the mistake of not reading this post prior to shipping my first trade! My game opened up and rattled around inside the box bending one of the cards. I find this unacceptable and will do whatever it takes to make this right, but take a few minutes to learn game packaging BEFORE you send the box. I've never received damaged shipments so I never thought about going the extra mile when packaging. I will now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessica Marie
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
I'm not sure that I always use 1 of padding on all sides, but I try to put some space between each side......

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Fido
msg tools
It's a shame that this needs to even be mentioned. Nothing worse than a ding upped purchase. All the same, nice info. Good job man!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
None Ya
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I received this yesterday.

The sender had packaged it with lots of bubble wrap and peanuts. But they did not center the game.

The game fit into the box perfectly, leaving about 2 inches on the side. If they had centered the game, and had 1 inch of space on each side (filled with peanuts, etc.), the game would have been fine. But they packed it with one side of the game touching the box wall, and two inches of space on the other side (filled with peanuts, etc.).

Always center the box!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.