Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jut Daron
United States
Ithaca
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Twilight Imperium fanMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: ChristianMicrobadge: Copper Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Level 01 BGG poster
Hi all!!

Just getting ready to jump into Battlelore, I know, over a decade late to the party. I had 2nd edition, but did not like the specific fantasy, I much rather like the more "generic" fantasy look/feel of 1st edition. I love Battle Cry and Memoir '44, so I have NO DOUBT that this is going to be amazing.

Looking at some custom terrain tiles, I see the very amazing tiles from Kallistra, but not sure I want to jump in the deep end there or pay for shipping to the US. I have done some Google searches, but have not really found anything US based like Kallistra.

Are there any good tile products out there similar to the Kallistra tiles?

Thanks all!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Lucky Owner of a War of the Ring Collector's EditionMicrobadge: Level 17 BGG posterMicrobadge: Commands & Colors Tricorne fanMicrobadge: Yaquinto fanMicrobadge: The Fantasy Trip RPG fan
The Kallistra hexes are about 100mm across, which is about twice as large as the hexes on the board. The 100mm hexes work well if you're using stands of miniatures in lieu of the figures in the game (e.g., my 15mm figures have 2-4 figures on stands about 40mm wide).

If you want hills that fit the board hexes, Rdoxx http://rdoxx.com makes 1/2 high wooden hills. Or you can simply stack some unused terrain tiles to exaggerate the height of the hills.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wheal
United States
Kosse
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game fanMicrobadge: Autism AwarenessMicrobadge: Parent of a Boy and a GirlMicrobadge: Lucky Owner of a War of the Ring Collector's EditionMicrobadge: BattleLore fan
I went with the Kallistra tiles. It was that, or make your own.. Litko will provide wooden tiles of a requested size, as do several others in the US.

By the time you have painted, flocked and modeled any extra terrain features.. you could have been playing for ages... Kallistra won, for me.

Edit. Message or call them, they can, and did do, a decent shipping option with DHL for me, two base sets, a bunch of hills and rivers all for a good price. You can skip the rivers to start with and just use felt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jut Daron
United States
Ithaca
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Twilight Imperium fanMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: ChristianMicrobadge: Copper Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Level 01 BGG poster
Thanks for the quick reply guys!!

Ya, I was looking at the painted/flocked tiles and was certainly thinking that was the way to go.

I am trying to justify the cost with things like:

"This would be a great educational tool to teach the kids about WW1 and WW2, the Civil War, the Revolutionary War, etc."

I know a lot of teachers in our local schools as well: "Hey let me come in and set up the Battle of Gettysburg . . . "

LOL, ya right, but this is what I am telling myself!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls