Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

BattleLore» Forums » General

Subject: To sell or not to sell - 1st Edition versus 2nd Edition - Mixed Feelings rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christo Lockxxx
Canada
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Level 01 BGG posterMicrobadge: WotC "Dungeon Command: Blood of Gruumsh" Contest participantMicrobadge: Ares Games "Sails of Glory" Contest participant
I own Battlelore 1st Edition with every expansion short of Heroes and Battlelore 2nd Edition with every expansion but the non-faction monsters.

And I am wanting to reduce the amount of games I have in favour of more shelf space. Both 1st Edition and 2nd Edition are such great games. I am reluctant to part with either but I feel like I may never get 1st Edition on the table now that 2nd edition is out.

Does anyone still play 1st Edition? I guess I will sell anything for the right price but...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Boersma
Australia
Officer
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Microbadge: Parent of a Boy and a GirlMicrobadge: Dawn: Rise of the Occulites fanMicrobadge: League of Extraordinary Heroscapers - 5th AnniversaryMicrobadge: BattleLore fanMicrobadge: Constantly thinking about game design
I'm a massive 1st edition fan and actually think it is the better of the two by far. There are lots of people that love 2nd edition though, so it really comes down to personal opinion and which victory conditions you prefer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A.
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
Microbadge: ChristianMicrobadge: "Red 5 standing by..."Microbadge: Peanuts fanMicrobadge: Calgary Flames fanMicrobadge: Thrift Vassal
I own everything "Battlelore" and I'm of the opinion that they're different enough to warrant keeping them both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Hanna
United States
Eastbourne, England (Yankee go home!)
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Holland '44Microbadge: For the People fanMicrobadge: ASL fanMicrobadge: Space Empires: Close Encounters fanMicrobadge: Julius Caesar fan
I think they will not further expand 2nd edition and it's not as good a game IMO -- if anything, sell that one! Keep the first edition!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Rising Sun fanMicrobadge: Arkham Horror fanMicrobadge: Twilight Imperium (fourth edition) fanMicrobadge: Warrior Knights fanMicrobadge: Runewars fan
2nd edition is a great game. Well worth keeping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Carline
New Zealand
Lower Hutt
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Avalon Hill fanMicrobadge: Memoir '44 fanMicrobadge: Solo wargamerMicrobadge: War of the Ring Collector's Edition fanMicrobadge: Deadlands RPG fan
Keep them both. Great games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Clausing
United States
Winfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Oktoberfest!Microbadge: Worms fanMicrobadge: Pinball fanMicrobadge: Oh, I wish I was an Oscar Mayer weinerMicrobadge: Then everyone would be in love with me!
Keep both! But if you had to get rid of one, I'd keep the first edition. It simply has more content. Heroes, dragons and hydras... oh my!

I'm still mad at FFG not integrating the 2nd edition into the 1st. wish they did... this thread wouldn't exist then!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eryk B
Poland
Wroclaw
Lower Silesia
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Coffee addictMicrobadge: Sam & Max fanMicrobadge: I always carry a pocket knife!Microbadge: AbsurdistMicrobadge: HELLO
Sell both and get Battles of Westeros. It's like a difference between watching battle from a nearby hill and commanding troops while going to battle by their side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Lucky Owner of a War of the Ring Collector's EditionMicrobadge: Level 17 BGG posterMicrobadge: Commands & Colors Tricorne fanMicrobadge: Yaquinto fanMicrobadge: The Fantasy Trip RPG fan
I much prefer the first edition. I like that there are historical medieval battles. I was never a fan of Fantasy Flight’s world (2nd ed), and I didn’t like the way victory points were won. In fact, 2nd ed BattleLore is the only Commands & Colors game I don’t own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Bunny

Santa Maria
California
msg tools
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: LibrarianMicrobadge: The Secret Cabal Gaming Podcast fanMicrobadge: Elder Sign Protected!
Sell 2nd edition
I'm in the same boat and 2nd edition just lacks the flavor and the fun that 1st edition has.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Fantasy Flight Games fanMicrobadge: Ameritrash fanMicrobadge: Commands & Colors series fanMicrobadge: GrognardMicrobadge: GMT fan
Reduce your collection in other areas—if that's what you're going to do—and then reevaluate your collection when that's done. If you get rid of enough other stuff, you may decide to keep them both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls