Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan
Canada
ONTARIO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi

I preferred informing the podcast creators as to why after over 4 years of being a fan and a long time Patreon backer of BPPP, why I'm writing this thread.

It has to do with the content of the show now compared to how it all started.

As a father in a relationship, I immediately jumped on board by episode 3 of BPPP as I loved the 2 Blue Pegs and 2 Pink Pegs balance and family talk part of in the show (I always found it was less then I would like but enough to keep me hooked).

History happened and a pink peg was replaced by a GreenPeg, but since Jeremy talked of gaming a lot with his daughter, for me it still felt very much a "family gaming podcast" show.

Sadly, I find (for myself) that since Josh replaced Jeremy, BPPP is more aimed at gamers now then before and the family talk has dwindled.

For me, the show lost what was special about it in my eyes, it's nothing against Josh, more about the overall direction.

My 2 cents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard Donohue
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
badge
Kneel puny Doomtrooper before the might of the Ezoghoul!
mbmbmbmbmb
Obvious fix for this is to get Scott Josh married and having children.

For the good of the show.

The family talk has always been one of my favorite elements to the show too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willie Williams
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you mean Josh? Otherwise, I don't know who Scott is...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard Donohue
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
badge
Kneel puny Doomtrooper before the might of the Ezoghoul!
mbmbmbmbmb
Willie365 wrote:
Did you mean Josh? Otherwise, I don't know who Scott is...

Right. I just keep thinking of him as Not-Jeremy, I forget what his real name is.

Will need to work on that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Vannoy
United States
Shreve
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He has talked about his son on the show
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willie Williams
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not a member of the podcast, but I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts.

No show will be able to be all things to all people, and they will change from time to time. I am sure the Pegs have changed as people and as players since their podcast started, and that's OK.

It sucks when podcasts we like start to move away from the things we liked about them, but it happens. There is nothing wrong with stepping away if you're no longer enjoying. I know that I stopped listening to the Dice Tower when the show became less of what I wanted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sexton
United States
Silver Lake
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know, ever since I joined the show it has really gone down hill.

I'm the worst.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
I will say that I did like, originally, the show's premise of the cross between the "gaming life" and the romantic/family lives of the podcasters. But it also supposed that the hosts weren't equally "gamers." As that division disappeared, so too did much of the impetus to talk about the divide between gaming-life and non-gaming life.

That said, I still do appreciate the attention the pegs give to discussing gaming with families (multiple stories of families and kids in #119).

I guess I don't really have a point to what I'm typing here, but there it is anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blayne Miley
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have listened to the show less regularly as of late, because of my perception that there is not enough talk about boardgames and there is too much talk about other things.

Different strokes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Murphy
United States
norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mb
I hear what you're saying and agree to some extent... ( except the new pegs name is josh, not scott. )

Things have changed and evolved. I like the slow progression of the family gaming talk that is happening as Rob and Christina's daughter is growing older and finding more games.

The evolution of Christina as a gamer is also something that has evolved that has changed the dynamics of the show naturally. In the beginning a game convention seemed one step too far into wizard land for Christina, yet this past year she helped organize her own convention and participated in some of the biggest conventions of the year.

It seems the focus hasnt truly changed, the shows main content is these gys and their families relationships with gaming, it's just that the family has evolved into a much more invested gaming family.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Morris
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Quote:
He has talked about his son on the show

I'm not sure if he talked about his family in the latest episode, but definitely in the ones before that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Kelly
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Full respect and understanding for all of this. I agree, the focus of the show has moved away (to a degree) from the focus upon couples/family gaming. This derives largely from life happening, kids growing, etc. We do try to keep attention upon family, to the extent that we can within the context of our authentic experience. But for me, at least, the polestar is authentic experience.

This said, this is feedback worth incorporating into our content. We are still committed to exploring and discussing the power of games to foster relationships. For my part, I will return more of focus (to the extent that my experience and observations permit) to that part of our mission.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryant Hudson
United States
Cullman
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
Maybe your army comes and maybe it’s too much for us, but it’s all on you. Because if we can’t protect the Earth, you can be damn well sure we’ll avenge it.
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a few things that BPPP does that I do not particularly care for but apparently a lot appreciate. Nothing important, but just a different taste in humor. So, for those parts in each episode, I just fast forward. Personally, I never started listening to them for the husband/wife point of view. My wife isn't a gamer. I listen for the reviews mainly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kissell
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EnigmaProphet wrote:

Sadly, I find (for myself) that since Josh replaced Jeremy, BPPP is more aimed at gamers now then before and the family talk has dwindled.

For me, the show lost what was special about it in my eyes, it's nothing against Josh, more about the overall direction.

My 2 cents.

It makes me sad that we no longer capable of having intelligent discussions about opinions on the internet that we have to bold words like "for me" to keep the discussion from devolving. I am not faulting the OP, I just find it sad. So many legitimate discussions are dismissed by "that's just your opinion man."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
Canada
ONTARIO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, I am amazed at the community, I really expected to get trashed hard and showed the door, if anything like this would of been posted on The Secret Cabal or Dice Tower things would of turned out VERY differently.

I can't believe how much the response is mature and level headed, and I'm again amazed at the fans of BPPP, thank you all for this.

Josh, I'm sorry man, again it's not you, it how the show evolved, at every new re-iterations, I felt like the "family/relationship" dwindle at every turn.

I have stopped listening to BPPP at 117, I see now I must catch up to now and keep at it for at least a few more months to let the new member settle in and everyone to re-adjust.

I found my post a bit harsh, I will remain a fan, who can't with this kind of response by the community on a internet message board.

Thank you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Grants Pass
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, for whatever reason, I have found my episodes stacking up as well. Looks like the bonus episode before 118 up to current is what I am sitting on. I do think it is kind of like starting a new book. You have to give it several chapters before you can make an informed decision.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Maltman
Canada
RICHMOND HILL
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't stopped listening - just listened today - but that absolutely was one reason I loved the show from when I started listening, since I game with my wife and kids.

That gradual change hasn't affected my enjoyment, but I do think it's a good reminder to the hosts that this is an angle that you've done well, so whenever appropriate make sure you're highlighting those sorts of things in your lives, because many here appreciate it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vigo Velito
United States
Haymarket
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As is the case with most who joined the BPPP community, I followed due to the heavier discussions with how life is intertwined with gaming. If you look back at the podcast episodes there are several that do not have that emphasis, but as a whole that has been the focus and I commend the crew for always keeping that in mind.

I think Jeremy will always be a hole in the lineup...he was on it for how many episodes...but the reason for leaving is perfect for what BPPP has represented. I think Josh has some great things to share in the future, and needs to get more comfortable in his shoes (he is still a bit quiet...well compared to Robb who isn't).

Everyone has evolving tastes and to each their own, but we have to roll with those changes. I think the podcast is a perfect reflection of that passage of time. We will never have those initial podcasts of gamer vs non...I mean Christina is now painting minis. Year one Robb would never believe that.

I for one am all in to see how gaming impacts the next generation and the twists and turns that may come their way. I love hearing about Harper's escapades into gaming like going after Robb during Survive, or always asking for Dixit. As a father of <6 year olds, I love hearing about those interactions.

I guess what I am getting at is...keep up the good work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Curto
United States
Sandpoint
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember laughing a few months ago in an episode where the cost was over $70 for something and Christina's response was an immediate "That's a steal, go buy it now!" compared to the first few episodes where her responses were closer to "$25 for a boardgame? Does anyone pay that much for these things?"

The podcast has definitely evolved, but it still has whatever magical quality it had to begin with >>FOR ME<< , because I listen to every episode within a few a hours of it dropping and then spend two weeks waiting for the next one!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meghan Naxer
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BPPP was the podcast that got me into listening to gaming podcasts and I have to admit, the thoughtful conversations about relationships was the hook that kept me listening. I really appreciated how openly and meaningfully the hosts discussed the topics at the end of the episodes. While I definitely miss those conversations, I stuck with the podcast because I enjoy the personalities, game tastes, and humor of the group. I've noticed recently that BPPP is now more similar in format and content to other "big" podcasts (why does everyone feel the need to review the same game at the same time?) and I find it tedious to stick with more than 1 of those at any one time. Podcasts change, people change, and that's ok — I've appreciated this chance to reflect on what brought me to BPPP and why it remains on my podcast feed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Rouse

Virginia
msg tools
badge
Blue Peg, Pink Peg Gaming Podcast
mbmbmbmbmb
Had a semi-long response to this, but think I would like to discuss on the show. I imagine some non BGG users might have some of the same feedback and understand (to some degree) the concerns. So stay tuned for that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I, too, originally started listening after hearing that it was based around relationships and gaming. When I started, I felt that there really wasn't a lot of the relationship talk, but as I listened, I still genuinely enjoyed listening to the obvious friendship between the hosts and thought that I was probably just misinterpreting their meaning of relationships. Instead of real world (for lack of a better term) relationships, I figured that it must mean in game relationships. The episodes started stacking up in my podcast queue for a little while, and I did quit listening for a while. Then about a year ago my life took a major swerve, and I stopped listening to all podcasts and even had to give up BGG and gaming for the better part of a year. I recently came back, and BPPP has hooked me again.

I do like hearing the pegs talk about gaming with their kids, when it comes up. I am now a new father, with a 3 month old son. Before, I skimmed past the parts talking about gaming with kids, as I was originally more interested in trying to start gaming with my wife. Now I find myself much more happy hearing about the kiddos having a good time. I never could get my wife to start gaming, it's just not going to happen, but now I have my son who I can teach games to as he grows. I can't wait to buy him his first game. My wife wants the classics like Candyland and Chutes and Ladders. I want to start him on maybe some Haba games. We'll figure it out as we go, I guess.

I would, certainly, welcome more talk of the family relationships and gaming. I want it to feel real and organic, though, and not like it's being shoehorned in just to say it's in there. I really appreciate all of the time that Robb, Patrick, Christina, and Josh put into the show, and I have thoroughly enjoyed getting to know them and the rest of the pegheads through the forums and from listening to the show.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Swartz
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What a great thread! And no, Dan, no offense taken here, man. You've all been very accepting of me. Jeremy was well liked and difficult to replace.

I, too, was going to have a nice long response to this, then I heard a booming voice from across Roanoke saying "Save it for the podcast!" Pretty sure it was Robb. So expect more in a future episode!

I do want to say that from the beginning, I was one of this podcast's harshest critics. Patrick can attest to that. I mean, the NAME of the show implies something, and that thing is often neglected. Now I'm a member of the show and guilty of the same thing.

I'm still figuring out my position between the leading men, often just sharing silly faces, eye rolls and hand gestures with Christina. But I'm gettin' there!

Unfortunately for me, just as I came on board, my oldest son, Farrin, got his driver's license and just like that he went from a hardcore gamer who would play marathon gaming sessions twice a week with all the R.A.G.E! members and keep his grades up to take a week off school every year for PrezCon... to maybe having time for a quick game of Star Realms once a month. So I'll have to reminisce about him because of the abrupt end to his love of games. It's also why I was SO excited to talk about my younger son, Ulrich, two episodes ago when he requested to play Space Freaks! That was a great night. He'd previously only sit down for some Spartacus about twice a year and nothing else at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina Rouse
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dan
Canada
ONTARIO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for expressing your thoughts on your journey with our show. I always wonder what the reasons are for people to start listening, continue to listen or have decided to stop listening. In the beginning (and even now) we wanted to be different from the "big" shows, we wanted to bring an angle that was incorporating what we were experiencing at the start of BPPP which was relationships, gaming and the interaction between the two. Albeit that our journey as a podcast has evolved and changed and taken on different forms and approaches; such is life.

We always want to stay true to ourselves as individuals, and as content creators by listening to our audience. Robb is loud, Patrick knows stuff, Josh is finding his place on this show (which is not an easy seat to fill coming in late) and I'm always trying to figure out what approach I can bring to the table that might not have a voice in other avenues. We are humans growing as we embark into the wilderness of this hobby. We do talk about gaming with our kids (maybe not as much) and discussions of gaming between at least Robb and myself has morphed because it's an integral part of our relationship now and maybe we take that for granted so we don't mention it as much. I would say our discussion of relationships and gaming has shifted to share experiences we've had with our friends, extended families, and listeners during cons and other fun moments. So they are there just not as pronounced as before. We love our PEGHEADS more than you can imagine and with all of this feedback I will make more of an effort to keep our mission more at a forefront than it has been in the past.

I also want to say we love feedback; good, bad or ugly. We wouldn't be doing this if we didn't have listeners so please continue to tell us what you like, what you don't like etc. There are things we do (re-roll song, trivia, bigboy pants, pledgefinger etc.) that you may not like and that's okay. Our humor is something you may not enjoy or like or even find entertaining and that's okay. I'm just glad to be apart of a hobby where strangers have literally become good friends and my life experiences have become richer because of it. So thank you!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kanost
United States
York
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
OH YEAH
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been long enough now since I first started listening that I legitimately cannot remember what it was that drew me in for that first episode. I'm pretty sure it had nothing to do with the type of show it was; most likely it was a specific review or discussion topic that interested me.

That said, BPPP has grown to become my favorite out of the whole huge crop of board gaming podcasts I download and listen through every week. And it's not really because of the games they review, which are often the same as all the other podcasts. It's not because of the topics they discuss--that could be just about anything from vapor lock to Robb's coccyx. It's definitely not the reroll song, which brought me perilously close to turning the show off and never listening again the first time I heard one--although now I would miss it sorely were it to ever go away. It's not even because they have one of the catchiest theme songs in the business (I find myself humming and singing along to Skavoovie and the Epitones at the start of every single episode).

It's the whole dynamic between all of the show's hosts. Their joy and comradery is infectious no matter what they're discussing. I think I would enjoy listening to this group talk for 2 hours even if the topic really was colon health every week. (But please don't do that.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |