Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello! I've finished the second draft of an RPG designed for play with kids, but also exclusively by kids. This game does a number of things that I believe, in concert, make it truly unique in this category:

A genre-hopping theme designed to allow players and gamemasters to fluidly move between different themes while keeping the same character. Think stuff like Dr. Who, Wrinkle in Time, Sliders, etc.

A diceless action-resolution system that's intuitively easy to teach and learn, allowing the game to be played nearly anywhere.

A ruleset that can be read, played, and gamemastered by kids (a little help required if age 8 or younger).

A thematic structure that treats players and their adventures seriously, rather than adding a lot of gimmicky "kid-friendly" ideas. This isn't Spongebob, or even My Little Pony.

Rules-intent that deemphasizes violent resolution to conflicts, and instead focuses on creative problem solving.

A focus on building positive self identity instead of character optimization.

There's more... but I'd prefer to share privately at this point.

Anyhow, this has been a labor of love, and what I'm looking for are absolute RPG newbies to give it a read and play through. If you have preconceived notions of how RPGs work, you probably aren't ideal for this stage of the playtest.

I could really use some help getting some play experience with this game. Please geekmail me if interested, and post here if you have any questions.

Thank you for reading!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heather K
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds amazing. I'm going to send a friend here to check it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

If it sweetens the deal, the PDF is only 70ish pages... Printed as a 2-up PDF front/back digest sized booklet, it's not a lot of printing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the interest so far, everyone! I appreciate it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc B.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds great! Would love to check it out together with my kids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Haverty
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I'm not a candidate for this but am interested in eventually reading more about it. Subbed to this thread, please update here when there is more progress to announce thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey Sockelf
Canada
flag msg tools
Myself and my 7.5 game loving son are absolute RPG newbies. I have a 5.5 son as well but he isn't reading too many cards yet.

We try to play a game daily but usually have to wait until the weekend for anything longer than a 30-45 minutes of play. Anything longer than 2 hours of play would likely lose his interest though. I'm RPG clueless so not sure what sort of other information you're looking for.

Will also Geekmail you. If I figure it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tasopoulos
Greece
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Count me in! I'd love to have my 6- and 8-year olds try this!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb
Updates:

After receiving initial feedback, I've been drafting a v1.1 of the rules. This should be finished within a week.

The revision addresses a few minor clarifications, includes a couple graphic player aids and consolidated rules list that were missing previously, and streamlines gameplay for larger groups of players.

Any current players that have input, I'd greatly appreciate your feedback ASAP, so I can incorporate your thoughts into my revision.

The game has also been proposed as a kids event to Dexcon 21 by an intrepid playtester. We should know for sure if it's accepted by next month.

https://www.dexposure.com/home.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb
Update: v1.1 PDF now available.

Current playtesters, please contact me if interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb
Newest revision is complete, incorporating quite a bit of feedback I've received over the last few months. Thank you to everyone who has helped so far!

If anyone else is interested and isn't shy about signing a very straightforward NDA*, please let me know!

*I know requiring an NDA puts some people off and will restrict responses, but for this specific project it's a requirement until I decide what publishing route I'm ultimately taking with this game. Please be kind, and thank you for understanding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ink
United States
Mundelein
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SiddGames wrote:
I'm not a candidate for this but am interested in eventually reading more about it. Subbed to this thread, please update here when there is

Ditto. My 9 year old is a fan of looser rpgs. We have done a kid-friendly sort of Dread, a simplified Cortex Plus (Marvel Heroic), and couple others. I understand what you mean by the cutesy nonsense. That gets in the way of older kids or adults playing with the same tone as little kids.

I have never introduced him to games with character optimization or the like but we have done some rpgs. more progress to announce thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Byrom
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
I have a 7 yr, 12 yr and 15 yr old. Would be interested to check it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Eric! The game is designed to scale as the players age, but it might be a hard sell for a 15 year old if they haven't started playing the game younger and "aged into" it. If you don't think that's a big concern, I would be happy to receive your help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Pilov
Israel
flag msg tools
Hi, there!
My son is almost 7 and the only RPG we've tried so far was Hero Kids, and it was a blast!

I would definitely love to check out your game if possible.

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb
giant_karlik wrote:
Hi, there!
My son is almost 7 and the only RPG we've tried so far was Hero Kids, and it was a blast!

I would definitely love to check out your game if possible.

Thank you!

Hi Ivan,

I'd appreciate your input! Send me a geek mail with your email and contact info and I'll shoot over the NDA.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugo Alexandre
msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi

I was looking for something like this since sometime. I have 3 children (5,8 and 11 y/o) and even if they are not english speakers, if the game looks interesting and you agree of course, i am happy to translate it to portuguese (my motther tongue) and test it with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb
OopqoO wrote:
Hi

I was looking for something like this since sometime. I have 3 children (5,8 and 11 y/o) and even if they are not english speakers, if the game looks interesting and you agree of course, i am happy to translate it to portuguese (my motther tongue) and test it with them.

Sure! Please private message me your contact information and email!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.