Popular Tags: [View All]
Meghan Naxer
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good morning, Pegheads! After reviewing some of the games I have on my wishlist, I realized that for certain games, I really prefer a different printing/version of it than what is available domestically. Games on my wishlist that I am looking for overseas copies of currently include Can't Stop (Japan) and For Sale (iello European edition). I also already own some much loved international editions for games, including Diamant (iello European edition), Morels (Fungi in Europe), Ra (Überplay German/English), and Targi (Japan, w/German expansion). surprise For most of these cases, what I'm interested in is usually different artwork, since all of these games are readily available in my country.

So my question du jour for you, dear Pegheads: what games have you sought out (or are seeking) from another country for a different edition than what is currently available in your neck of the woods? What about these editions grabbed your interest???

And, as always, what the PEGheads really want to know is...what are you playing this week?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Jacobson

Omaha
Nebraska - NE
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glory to Rome black box is my notable game in this case. But I admit to lusting after the Polish art for Castles of Mad King Ludwig.

My group has been deep diving Kiesling: Nauticus, Heaven and Ale, Riverboat, Palaces of Carrara, Azul.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Vannoy
United States
Shreve
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got a copy of Terraforming Mars and played 2 games this weekend although this week will be back to Gloomhaven. Last week played a lot of games and neglected Gloomhaven.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure there are any games not available in the UK that I'm desperate to get. Like Chad, I'd certainly not turn down a copy of the Polish edition of Castles of Mad King Ludwig, but I'm not actively seeking out a copy.

In the past year though, I've been close to ordering European copies of both Kashgar: Merchants of the Silk Road (the English printing which, ironically, could only be pre-ordered from the German publisher), and Castles of Burgundy: The Dice Game (was only available from a French distributor at the time). CoB: TDG is now available in UK retail so I have no problem getting that, but Kashgar isn't [yet] available in retail anywhere (at least in the UK). I almost feel cross for not pre-ordering it at the time, but it was quite expensive (£35) considering the German edition is only £23 (but out of stock everywhere).

This week: No game nights planned, so it'll be solo gaming for me. Going to have some more plays of Trickerion: Legends of Illusion, adding in the Dark Alley expansion; and need to do more playtesting of Cerebria: The Inside World and Dragon Canyon if I get time. Also a couple of other unpublished games/expansions need some playtesting time.

And I really should get in some playtesting of some entries to the 2018 Two-Player PnP Game Design Contest, which has now locked down entries and is into full playtesting mode prior to voting in a few weeks' time...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kanost
United States
York
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
OH YEAH
mbmbmbmbmb
The first thing that came to my mind is that Polish edition of Castle of Mad King Ludwig with the improved tile art. Why can't we get an English printing with that art on the tiles?

But who am I kidding? Even if such a thing were made available, I already own the game and am not likely to spring for another copy. I guess for me, lovelier art and improved components for the most part take a back seat to gameplay. Scythe notably excepted, of course.

This week I am working for the weekend... my personal con season begins this weekend with CABIN CON! I shall be joining 17 other dudes in a remote cabin north of Williamsport, PA for three days and two full nights of gaming. I. Can't. Wait.

I've only got one planned game so far for the weekend: playing Twilight Imperium for the first time. We're planning it to be our first game of the con, limiting it to four players, and requiring everyone to do their homework in advance. We'll be playing the new Fourth edition.

Tonight I expect to play WEDS again, hopefully finishing the game this time! The rest of the week probably won't having much gaming in it, but I'll make up for that this weekend!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sexton
United States
Silver Lake
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have something of a gaming hang over from this past weekend. My son and I attended a Shadespire tournament on Saturday and a Star Wars Destiny Sealed tournament on Sunday. My son took second place in the Shadespire tournament, so I was of course a super proud papa.

This week my son wants to play with our new Destiny cards and we will be preparing for ANOTHER Shadespire tournament this coming Sunday.

If I'm lucky, both of my kids will play some more Dungeon Alliance, which we are really digging.

Since I've had so many tournaments with my son lately, I have been trying hard to have a fun day with just my daughter. I think we are going to spend Saturday afternoon playing through Crypt of the Vampire at a local FLGS.

At some point, I think I'm playing Charterstone with my adult group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't really follow editions of games from other countries much. I do have the European first edition of The Arrival (thanks, Patrick!) and I love the art on the box SOOO much better than the new American version. Other than that, I don't really have anything I'm Jones-ing for

I have a big gaming week coming up, so big that I'm skipping my usual Tuesday night gaming. Wednesday during the day, I'm joining a pal and his pal in a jaunt around Chicago to play some games. Then, Wednesday evening I'm going to a neighbor's to play the classic Axis & Allies. Thursday night we're going to get together and finish the game. He has played a couple hobby games, so I'm easing him into it, but he really wanted to play this, so I'll give it a go. Good ol' dicefest.

Then, Saturday is a game day with a buddy at his place. He and my daughter and I will make a day of it. WHEE.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Grants Pass
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are two games I'd like different box art for: The original version of Colosseum. I really don't like the cartoon box art they did with the new edition. Also, I have Abyss with the blue bullfrog looking dude on front. That was all I ever saw available in my area, but I would prefer either of the feminine looking characters.

Not sure about gaming this week.It's been a while since I played music, but I have a gig Saturday. That means lots of rehearsals this week. Maybe some minis on Saturday and a full game day Sunday...games TBD.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I’m happy to have my Pegasus Spiele edition of Port Royal. I’m also proud of my Essen mule copy of Paper Tales. Stronghold Games picked up American publishing rights and you’ll be able to get it along with the upcoming expansion, Paper Tales: Beyond the Gates, in the States this Summer, but I have bragging rights to the elusive European copy!

I’m playing my Kickstarter delivery of Petrichor this week, along with Hostage Negotiator: Crime Wave which I acquired via PIFF!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great question, Meghan!

For me, I sought out a French copy of Troyes which I absolutely love. while I had to print out the English rules, the entire game itself is language-neutral (yes, the cards have French titles but are thematic and in no way distract from the gameplay)

As for this week (which reminds me ~ I have to update last week's entry as the 1 Player Guild Meet-Up assembled in PA over the weekend), I'll have a chance to play a few games of Castles of Burgundy, Concordia, and Troyes on Boite-A-Jeux and BoardGameArena. Also, instead of heading to Labyrinth in D.C. this Thursday, we may just take over a few tables at a pub near work and play a bunch a games that I'll bring with me.

This Saturday, I forgot to mention, this Saturday morning, members of the Saturday Morning Omelet Brigade will arrive to playtest yet another title for Decision Games and later a few folks are coming over to play Feudum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
voodoochyl wrote:
Not sure about gaming this week.It's been a while since I played music, but I have a gig Saturday. That means lots of rehearsals this week. Maybe some minis on Saturday and a full game day Sunday...games TBD.

What kind of gig? I assume you're in a band or something. Tell us more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Grants Pass
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wombat929 wrote:
voodoochyl wrote:

What kind of gig? I assume you're in a band or something. Tell us more.

Thanks for asking. Currently I am in an acoustic cover group. Myself on guitar, a lead vocalist, and a percussionist. I used to play in a rock band nearly every weekend and had done that starting at around 18 with a year or two off here and there. Here's a couple clips of us. I'm that bald "jolly" guy.

https://www.facebook.com/cover3band/videos/728122550698673/

https://www.facebook.com/cover3band/videos/720343751476553/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
voodoochyl wrote:
Thanks for asking. Currently I am in an acoustic cover group. Myself on guitar, a lead vocalist, and a percussionist. I used to play in a rock band nearly every weekend and had done that starting at around 18 with a year or two off here and there. Here's a couple clips of us. I'm that bald "jolly" guy.

https://www.facebook.com/cover3band/videos/728122550698673/

https://www.facebook.com/cover3band/videos/720343751476553/

Very nice!

That couple on the right REALLY likes your cover of "Hallelujah."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Liggett
United States
Celina
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had the chance this week to play Atari's Missile Command(fun and fast); Outpost Amazon (similar to Siberia, but with correct rules); Nmbr 9 (fast, simple abstract); Dark Deed (card game; slight engine building, take that game. Way overpriced at msrp!)

Hopefully, I will get some solo gaming in later this week.

Dean

Board Game Buffet
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Hall
Australia
Croydon
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played Terraforming Mars for the first time last weekend, and it was a hit. We're itching to get it back to the table and play with the corporations and card-draft variation.

A work buddy is coming over this weekend and bringing Scythe plus the 3 expansions, so super looking forward to our first play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Freshman
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I am playing Puerto Rico i will always defer to the better version...Puerto Rico (with two expansions).

As for this week...

I am working on digesting Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization so I can teach one of our game groups...

... and getting lots of play time with The Flow of History!

Fresh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Nye
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
I 'm a pass on the question this week, never really looked into getting out of country copies of games.

As for game plays they are few and far between right now with softball and baseball taking up all the evenings but I did get in one game play of Hogwarts Battle this past weekend. Played through game 7 and got the win, Whoop. Girlfriend and I are already wanting to ask another couple about joining in for a 4 player try at it. Other then that it is all crickets here, maybe something this Sunday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Hall
Australia
Croydon
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grimbo wrote:
We played Terraforming Mars for the first time last weekend, and it was a hit. We're itching to get it back to the table and play with the corporations and card-draft variation.

A work buddy is coming over this weekend and bringing Scythe plus the 3 expansions, so super looking forward to our first play.

My kickstarter for Argent: The Consortium turned up yesterday. I read the rule book last night and it looks like so much fun. The biggest complaint this game seems to get is that there are too many choices, but that just seems like such an awesome thing to me. Definitely on this weekend's play list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vorpal Greatsword
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got in a first play of Capital Lux, which everyone seemed to like. We also played Azul, and I did a lot better than I did my first play.

I also tried the Jaipur app with my wife, but we didn't finish the third round. For some reason, the pass and play (which reveals your hand only when you tilt the tablet toward you) had the player hands upside down which was a little awkward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Saturday turned out to be a great gaming day. We went to a buddy's place and tried out Empires of the Void II, which was pretty fun. I felt like, for much of the game, I didn't really understand what I was supposed to be doing -- I got the mechanisms, but not the purpose -- and I think that hampered me a bit. But I played a group called "Oracles of Zun" which I decided meant we were a civilization built around mp3 players. Last place in the 4p game.

Then we played Bärenpark, where I got pretty soundly trounced again. That's unusual for me -- I'm usually top tier in that game. But it was fun nonetheless, as it always is.

Finally, we played Terra Mystica, which is one of my 10/10 games this year, and I won as the halflings. Granted, one of the players was new, but still. I like that game more every time I play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Started our Pandemic Legacy: Season 2 campaign last night! Well, we played the intro game twice, so haven't really "started" the campaign, but we now know how to play the Season 2 game. We won both games, the second one pretty handily too. Knowing what could potentially happen though, I'm not holding my breath to us winning the first few games of the campaign just yet...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meghan Naxer
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had to get some games played on Saturday and ended up trying the Egypt map for Concordia, which is really interesting and really different!, Petrichor, and Hunt for the Ring with us switching sides for the first time. So far Frodo has won every game, so we're going to try the recommended balance tweak in the rulebook until we get better at it. Hidden movement is a really new genre for us, and we're still not sure what we think about it, but willing to keep trying.

Sunday was all Persona 5, all day long! I've at least caught up to the in medias res timeline from the opening of the game and am progressing to the end game now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rody Burg
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cuteusagi wrote:
I had to get some games played on Saturday and ended up trying the Egypt map for Concordia, which is really interesting and really different!, Petrichor, and Hunt for the Ring with us switching sides for the first time. So far Frodo has won every game, so we're going to try the recommended balance tweak in the rulebook until we get better at it. Hidden movement is a really new genre for us, and we're still not sure what we think about it, but willing to keep trying.

Sunday was all Persona 5, all day long! I've at least caught up to the in medias res timeline from the opening of the game and am progressing to the end game now!

You think you are near the end but you have a solid 30+ hours left . Hope you don't waste your romantic option like me. Accidentally committed myself to the fortune teller when I wanted the goth nurse :'(.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meghan Naxer
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tromidy wrote:
cuteusagi wrote:

You think you are near the end but you have a solid 30+ hours left . Hope you don't waste your romantic option like me. Accidentally committed myself to the fortune teller when I wanted the goth nurse :'(.

I did waste my romantic option!!! I was going for Makoto and accidentally ended up with Ann!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Grants Pass
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played two games of Warhammer 40,000: Dark Imperium on Friday. This is a game I haven't played much, but have had a steady diet of the books and have been painting and assembling for months. I was afraid I wouldn't enjoy the gaming as much as the hobby. It is a complex game, but I had a BLAST! It really matters who you play with, though. Turns out we played a bunch of rules wrong, but you have to start somewhere.

Saturday was another day for miniature gaming. This time, it was Frostgrave with my buddies who got me into this whole minis mess. As per usual, we laughed for three hours straight and managed to also get a game in.

Sunday was hard co-op card game day. We started with The Grizzled and ended with Legendary Encounters: An Alien Deck Building Game (one of my favorites). We played the Alien 3 scenario, which I hadn't played yet. That game gets stressful and overwhelming, which I love. We ended up winning both games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls