Dan the Mysterious
msg tools
mb

So I received the core game last week (wave 1 KS) and was itching to play it so i brought it to my unsupecting gloomhaven group to give us something else to play for a bit. (We love gloomhaven but i wanted to try my new game).

I had read the instructions and the FAQ backwards and forwards several times because i refused to look at any of the cards beyond sorting the cards, and sleeving the action deck. (I should have bought the full 2k sleeves...200 is not going to be enough to protect my treasure). I knew some rules would be more apparent by playing but since i didnt want to spoil myself, I knew there would be some questions and learning experiences. While there were a few minor questions as the night progressed, Mostly I think between the manual and the FAQ, we didnt have much in the way of arguments over the rules.

Game map spoilers:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Our group started out in easy mode for our first game, and with the suggested Voracious Goddess questline, began to explore the starting islet. Everyone seemed to want to explore deeply every possible option, but it didnt feel like slow going as we were enjoying ourselves. After exhausting all possibilities for the small area we had a choice of braving the unknown sea or crossing west to follow the map that came with the clue. needing an insane! 9 successes to cross the sea, we thought that was a dangerous but rewarding option...luckily due to a makeshift raft and some skills that were likely to have us succeed we decided to go off the map and see what happened. We ended up in a completely different set of islands that we continuously were trying to connect to our clue map (and failing). Due to our attempts to be completionist, we really pushed exploration, but ended up going down a dead end track, still not knowing where the hell we were. We actually exhausted our action deck dispite grabbing food, and cursed ourselves, already exhausting easy mode and starting fresh. The night ended about 5 hours after we began, and me wondering where the time went. We saved the game, back on the second island, with next session leading us into the opposite end of the dead end track we explored.


From reading some of the spoiler free posts here, I assume that getting lost may be a common occurance. While I am loving the game no matter what, I do hope that using things like the rafts +5 card movement and the sea path did not 'break' the possibility of completing our curse. I think as long as the game makers really did there homework connecting the world, that this should not be a realistic worry. After all, we chose to go in the opposite direction of our map, thinking it might be a short cut (And it still might be) so we only have ourselves to blame.



1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucien Copus
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Using the raft is not going to break it for you. If you'd known where to go you could have carried on fine.

On using the raft +5
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Sometimes the +5 will let you actually sail successfully
Spoiler (click to reveal)
instead of ending up pretty much in the same place
sometimes
Spoiler (click to reveal)
you'll end up in the same place either way,
Spoiler (click to reveal)
but without getting freezing
And sometimes it will
Spoiler (click to reveal)
activate curse dependent events.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafaella CG
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmb
Getting lost is very normal, and unless you misread a card (happened to me in Icy Maze, I skipped the winning card), you won't get to a situation where breaking the curse is impossible. It might be harder on your chosen path, you might die, but you won't break the game.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucien Copus
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have heard of one way the game could break on the VG curse, but it may have been fixed in the errata.

Nested spoilers to follow, being a little vague
Spoiler (click to reveal)
If you reach the VG Idol by following the map
Spoiler (click to reveal)
It will give you instructions on what to do next
Spoiler (click to reveal)
But if you explored more than you needed to, and partially solved the next part early
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Then you might not get the instructions and end up playing blind without the clue.


To be fair the game isn't 100% broken in that state. It just might feel that way.

Explicit spoilers in this one
Spoiler (click to reveal)
If you find one of the VG's eyes before reaching the idol, then apply that banner when encountering it for the first time, you can skip getting the clue that tells you where to find the other one.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Cain
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ogrecrusher wrote:
I have heard of one way the game could break on the VG curse, but it may have been fixed in the errata.

Nested spoilers to follow, being a little vague
Spoiler (click to reveal)
If you reach the VG Idol by following the map
Spoiler (click to reveal)
It will give you instructions on what to do next
Spoiler (click to reveal)
But if you explored more than you needed to, and partially solved the next part early
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Then you might not get the instructions and end up playing blind without the clue.


To be fair the game isn't 100% broken in that state. It just might feel that way.

Explicit spoilers in this one
Spoiler (click to reveal)
If you find one of the VG's eyes before reaching the idol, then apply that banner when encountering it for the first time, you can skip getting the clue that tells you where to find the other one.

I happen to know it is fixed in the errata (I just got my copy and failed VG in that exact way):
Spoiler (click to reveal)
The +x modifier from having one eye leads you to the card pointing out that the goddess wants two eyes. That card then directs you to draw the original, lengthy hint.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucien Copus
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
That's good to hear.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elia - "Rainbow Hippie" Acca
Italy
Bergamo
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
GreatGopher wrote:

I happen to know it is fixed in the errata (I just got my copy and failed VG in that exact way):
Spoiler (click to reveal)
The +x modifier from having one eye leads you to the card pointing out that the goddess wants two eyes. That card then directs you to draw the original, lengthy hint.

That's great.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan the Mysterious
msg tools
mb

6.5 hours more into the first game session (about 11-12 hours total right now). We surprisingly are still alive. We found our way back to the clue map. We really expected to run out of cards but due to running into a few hunts and clever play, we are doing pretty well.

Well there is one player who is having a hard time. Hes got state 134 and just cant get rid of it. We just keep giving him more fruit to eat.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorsten Engler
Australia
flag msg tools
az28 wrote:
Well there is one player who is having a hard time. Hes got state 134 and just cant get rid of it. We just keep giving him more fruit to eat.
Well, you just have to perform the action on the card to get rid of it.

Given that it's a "unique" action that's not even listed as a possible one in the manual, I don't think you will find any action specific (brown symbol) skills or items that help, but generic "add x success" skills can help you here if you aren't lucky enough with your draw.

Also, pay close attention to some other cards you may find, they may have specific instructions on what else to do to get rid of that state.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls