Ray Zhang
United States
Philadelphia
PA
flag msg tools
Originally suggested to score Space Race during Final Scoring. But now I'm leaning towards simply:

If you play a card of your own or neutral alignment towards the Space Race, advance on the Space Race track automatically (no need to roll).

There's almost never reason to play cards of your own alignment into the Space Race. I get that Space Race is meant to be a way to get rid of your worst cards, but to have more compelling decisions for spacing other cards including a tough choice to perhaps even space a good card would add so much more depth.

In other words, it's currently optimal to space only the worst cards for you, but I think a more interesting design would be to make it optimal to find a strategic balance spacing bad and good cards. Spacing only bad cards should be too conservative (suboptimal) and spacing only good cards is obviously too wasteful (suboptimal).

A simple solution might be to have the Space Race scored during Final Scoring. +X VPs if ahead in the Space Race, where X is big enough that it's sometimes worth spacing even good cards to fight for yet small enough that it does not trivialize other ways of scoring. I'm not sure what the exact value of X should be, though. Any ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Space Race scored during Final Scoring
Space race is already sufficiently important. Spacing your own cards to get to the discard power is already a viable option, even if you don't do it often.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Zhang
United States
Philadelphia
PA
flag msg tools
Benkyo wrote:
Space race is already sufficiently important. Spacing your own cards to get to the discard power is already a viable option, even if you don't do it often.

I agree it is important - and it's not the importance I want to tweak. It's the decision of what cards to play into the Space Race. Currently, some cards are practically must-space while most others are rarely-if-ever space. The decision often doesn't require too much thought. I'm looking for a variant to make more cards space-worthy based on situation, and perhaps less cards must-space (though that's hard because the alternative to some of the current must-space cards is immediate loss of the game).

Maybe Final Scoring is not the right area to tweak and a better way is to create an extra penalty for spacing a nasty card and an extra reward for spacing (sacrificing) a great card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Miyares
United States
Lorton
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There was an interesting take on this subject on 1989's Tienanmen Square track, as playing cards of your own color gave you a +1 to your roll (rolling high rather than low was the method of advancing). Just making that a -1 in the Space Race for one's own events, and perhaps neutral ones as well, would be a pretty simple implementation, I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Zhang
United States
Philadelphia
PA
flag msg tools
I like it. Perhaps if you play a card of your own or neutral alignment, you don't need to roll for the Space Race (automatic advancement).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
cim2phat4u wrote:
I like it. Perhaps if you play a card of your own or neutral alignment, you don't need to roll for the Space Race (automatic advancement).
Way too strong. I believe Sankt once said Captured Nazi Scientist is equivalent to a 3OP strength event. Making all your cards (and neutral cards!) nearly as good as CNS seems excessive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Zhang
United States
Philadelphia
PA
flag msg tools
Benkyo wrote:
Way too strong. I believe Sankt once said Captured Nazi Scientist is equivalent to a 3OP strength event. Making all your cards (and neutral cards!) as good as CNS seems excessive.

I'm not sure about CNS being worth 3 Ops in the general case... maybe in specific situations. At least I'd certainly prefer 3 Ops in most situations. Note also part of CNS' power is it does not use up your Space Race card for the turn, whereas spacing your own/neutral card in this variant does.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Miyares
United States
Lorton
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think auto-advancement is a bit strong if you include neutrals in it, for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Jen
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the 1989 mechanic that gives you a +1 to the roll if you use a friendly card.

1989 also gives you another +1 if this is not your first attempt at that stage on the track.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls