Blue Peg, Pink Peg» Forums » General

Subject: Reroll: Viticulture (with polls) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gabriel Edge

Oregon
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I said collection essential ... but that's for Viticulture Essential Edition (which may be the only one available at this point?). I have had a chance to play the original Viticulture once. I found it interesting as a origination of what is one of the best worker placement games out there right now (much like Element (2008 edition) is a solid abstract and yet Element (2017 edition) took away the dice and made such an amazing change that it is the only chess variant I will play ... yes, WAY over Onitama).

What makes Viticulture EE so amazing? Not only do you have a solid engine building mechanic, but the addition of Mama/Papa variable starting resources gives all players an interesting decision right from the start. Plus, the Grande Worker is key. My favorite worker placements (Viticulture and Argent: The Consortium, though Rajas of the Ganges is an exception to the rule somehow) all have some sort of placement mitigation to crack my top ten. The Grande Worker in EE is what tips this into the 6 category for me.

Thematically, the game holds together well enough. We have a medium weight euro that is strategic enough that - the more you play - you can deal with the random elements pretty easily and tactically and yet, is simple enough that my wife and I can drink a bottle of wine while playing this and still be competitive.

And really, for BPPP, it's about the relationships and this game is the one my wife and I play that reinforces our relationship the strongest. Here we are very evenly matched (she may be a bit better than I in this game if weighted in any direction) and both engaging in and with a game that truly enhances our life. Even though I'm more of a beer fan, Viticulture gets me excited more than Brew Crafters and there's nothing like a fine glass of Granache with a good game of Viticulture.

With or without Tuscany Essential Edition. (though we mainly play with the board expansion and 4 season placements now).

Viticulture original: 4 peg.
Viticulture Essential Edition: 6 Pegs
With Tuscany: 7 pegs :-P
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Edge

Oregon
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scottatlaw wrote:
I mean seriously, who would buy a bunny farm in this economy?!?

Have you seen Roger and Me? Bunnies make great food.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Rouse

Virginia
msg tools
badge
Blue Peg, Pink Peg Gaming Podcast
mbmbmbmbmb
Will be taking these soon, if you got thoughts, get them in now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Rouse

Virginia
msg tools
badge
Blue Peg, Pink Peg Gaming Podcast
mbmbmbmbmb
got them thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I might enjoy Viticulture if I ever had the chance to play it. I'd certainly try it if someone else wanted to. The theme of making wine, however, just does not grab me, nor does it draw me in and make me want to play a game that uses it. I'd play it, but I'm not seeking it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  |