7 Posts

The 7th Continent» Forums » Sessions

Subject: First session - Beaten by the Voracious Goddess (spoiler-free!) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Giles Radford
msg tools
mbmb
After a warning in French that it was on the way, a big box landed on my desk last week, full of carded goodness. I'd been trailing the game to a few of my irregular gaming partners, so let them all know when it had arrived, and tried to fix a time. We almost couldn't make it til late May between us, but managed to pull sufficient people together for a three-person game last Sunday. The promise that a fourth could join later on in the game was useful.

I don't want to spoil the game, so I'll start off a bit with things about the gameplay itself, without going into specifics of the plot.

We spent about three and a half hours, before finally being beaten by the curse. A lot of it was spent on exploration of what turned out to be a very small part of the game. Looking back on it, it wasn't fruitful towards our goal, but it was fun, and rewarding with the amount of detail the world has. Several times we wanted to find out what the alternative actions were... but we managed to avoid temptation. That being said, when we play the game the next time, we'll know where to go, and be a lot briefer about this section, preferring to explore the as yet unexplored.

We didn't go for Easy Mode, In fact, I have yet to read the 777 card, but I don't think it dulled our enjoyment at all. We were flagging a bit at the end, there, and I was going to call for saving the game. I'm glad we were killed when we were killed, it would have sucked if we'd only lasted three or four actions into the next session before dying...

We followed the clue card quite closely, which did actually help a lot in a couple of areas, especially when we first found validation of where on the clue card map we were.

That being said, as it was the initial game, we weren't that clear on the rules, and were a bit more flexible than the strict interpretation of the action rules state. In particular we didn't always decide on who was joining into an action before the cost stage, and I'm pretty certain at some point we chose to help out with an item during the results stage.

Keeping track of the active player was a bit of an issue. If we'd been stricter about handing the responsibility around, we'd have managed to use more skill cards more intelligently between us, I'm sure.

It wasn't explicitly decided, but early on, we fell into pattern of the active player reading out the exploration cards and action cards they handled, but as I was managing the deck, I ended up reading a lot of the Adventure deck texts, especially on terrain cards.

It also took us quite a while to get used to the concept of dealing with actions that affected only the cards in our hand, such as creating items, or doing things with our skill cards. After several times where we had to discard a skill card due to finding we had reached our hand limit as we hadn't dealt with the cards in our hands. Several time there was an urge to "use the action card immediately" and we had to remind people that using the card is a separate action.

The Card Gods were good to us. We hardly ever had any failures, though I think we were probably a bit generous on how we used our action cards. As such, the rules of dealing with state cards came as a big shock when they started appearing. We'll be a lot more careful with them now.

Working without an action deck was nerve-wracking, especially as we suddenly realised quite how freely we were spending the cards. We're going to be more frugal next time (which is probably the famous last words of many a player of this game). We managed to ge out of card starvation once, but dealing with the unexpected definitely took a toll on the meagre reserves we had, and we hadn't really gotten into our heads how much hunting we'd need to do.

When we got to area II, I was pleasantly surprised by the new exploration deck, as you could definitely see the gameplay evolving, and realised that area I is the "easy" deck. You can see how much thought has been put into ensuring the learning curve of the game is pretty gentle, and keeping the game fresh going forward.

Look out for those secret numbers, people! They make a huge difference! In some puzzles, they're the difference between hoping the gods will be good to you with results, or finding an alternative that will hardly impact your action card deck at all.

All in all, a very enjoyable game, and I think we're going to enjoy it for years to come - this continent is huge, and really fun!

So how was your first session?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BC
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
Putting this here while I try to think of something really clever...
badge
Just smile, no one gets out alive.
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I are still in our first session of VG. We had previously enjoyed the PnP, and worked our way through the Crystal's Song. We learned through CS that by resting we can (possibly) get better Exploration cards, so shorter play sessions are good. We have just landed on the main continent, probably spent too much time on the initial island, and are now realizing how difficult it is to manage our Action Deck. I think her favorite part thus far is in the level of detail in the cards, and she is our official hidden number investigator!

Also, with so many people saying they got turned around during VG, we are both "paranoid" about our map-following abilities and spend too much time over-analyzing whether or not we are going the right way!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alluvian
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I are about 6 ish hours into Voracious Goddess and having a great time. We got VERY off course because:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
When we were meant to go across the first bit of water, we had a raft and used the banner to get to a different place, and it was a VERY different place, LOL.

We think we know where we are again, and it is very near the spot at the end of the map (we think). So it will be interesting to see how this plays out, heh. I would not necessarily recommend the 'shortcut' we took as it almost killed us as we were down to 1 card in the deck at one point.

We happily just managed to hunt, and found a way to spend our experience points so that made us really happy, and we called it a night. Busy week ahead, we probably won't be able to play until next weekend. The game has been invading my dreams though.

Happily my wife loved it and even at 1 am when we put it away and went to bed she was still talking about it as we went to sleep.

SUPER happy I backed this. This will be great for a game for us to play together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam D.
United States
Suquamish
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice session report. I played a little loosy goosy myself solo, so I imagine it would be "worse" with more than one.

I really messed up my first play by reading way too much into things:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
I did not investigate the body. You see, it had egg sacs. and I had been bit by a spider earlier... The bitten card was banished but I didn't know if Robinson Crusoe-like another card was going to tell me if the bitten card is in your banish pile... I mean, did you see that illustration? Eww.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Matthews
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Played 3 sessions solo on VG. I'm hooked. First time i got lucky and got a quick start but then got lost. Second time, I tried an alternate path and was quickly dispatched. Third time, I thought I was almost done and then found out I was just getting started. Once again getting lost will end things quickly. Hopefully I can get it on the 4th run through.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Everyone should use easy mode. Even if you don't, you can always change your mind and use card 777 anyways if ever you die. I would not hesitate to use it. It should not have been optional. Some of groups of gamers don't want to use it to show how good they are by not playing on "easy" mode, then they proceed to complain when they die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
mockware wrote:
Played 3 sessions solo on VG. I'm hooked. First time i got lucky and got a quick start but then got lost. Second time, I tried an alternate path and was quickly dispatched. Third time, I thought I was almost done and then found out I was just getting started. Once again getting lost will end things quickly. Hopefully I can get it on the 4th run through.

Our group got lost but 3 hours later we found our way again. In 7th continent there are many ways to get where you want to go. What a nicely designed world.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls