John Kanost
United States
York
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
OH YEAH
mbmbmbmbmb
According to WikiPedia, an impulse purchase is "an unplanned decision to buy a product or service, made just before a purchase...research findings suggest that emotions and feelings play a decisive role in purchasing, triggered by seeing the product or upon exposure to a well-crafted promotional message."

I like to think that I am a careful decision maker when it comes to purchasing products and services. I like to think that I carefully weigh my options, comparing a variety of choices, and then think through the purchase decisions that I make. I like to think that, but I know that when it comes to buying board games, it has often been far from the truth.

For example, last week, I bought a game three days after playing it for the first, and only time. (It was Space Base!) Now, you might say, "John, you waited three days before you made that purchase! That doesn't fit the definition of an impulse purchase!", to which I would reply, "I bought the first copy saw for sale anywhere, and made the decision to do so immediately after playing the game for the first time."

Last year when Czacha Games launched a Kickstarter to fund a second edition of Carl Chudyk's 4x space game Impulse, I insta-backed it, despite never having played the original. You could say I made an Impulse purchase impulse purchase! (ba-dum-tss)

So the question of the week assumes that all of us have done this at least once when it comes to buying board games. What was your last gaming-related impulse purchase? Let's hear those confessions, folks! How has the hobby board game industry preyed upon your emotions to get you to part with your hard-earned cash with little to no thought?

And don't forget to let your fellow Pegheads know what you're playing this week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick McArdle
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Imhotep, flamme rouge, Azul, lost cities, and hanamikoji are on the cards this week. Impulse buy this week was Potato man which was going for 3.49 including shipping in the UK. Not played it but it seems a fun trick taking game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve O'Rourke
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: What are you playing this week? (April 30 - May 6 Edition)
This week, I'm playing Grade the Papers. Last week of classes before finals and all the projects have come due.

Sadly, it's a solo game, so it's all on me.

If time and sanity allow, I'll play some apps to unwind (Onirim, Patchwork, Jaipur). I have some turn-based play of Takenoko and Tokaido going on BGA, too.

Got lots of games in trade the past week or two - Kerala, Concept, The Mind, a couple from the Exit series, King's Road - but they will have to wait.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashley Kennedy
United States
Cleveland
Tn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be playing 'Grade the Papers' too. Then when the dust settles, we'll be sending off one of the primary 'host' of our game group with a hurrah game night. Zombicide will likely be on the table. Maybe a copy of Rising Sun. Timing of delivery will affect whether or not I bring out Argent: The Consortium.

My last impulse purchase was Terraforming Mars. Having heard great things about it, it wasn't wholly an impulse purchase, but I went into the store with no intention of buying that specifically and left with a copy. No regrets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sexton
United States
Silver Lake
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This Saturday is our local meet up at the Library. I'm thinking we'll give Heroes of Land, Air, and Sea a go.

This week I think the kids and I will get some more Dungeon Alliance to the table and if I'm lucky maybe a smaller box game with my son.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Impulse purchases?... Very few from me recently; I'll buy 2nd hand games much more readily, but usually because they're a great deal. Full price retail copies, or Kickstarter backing, is much less likely to be impulse; I'll have known about a game long in advance if I'm going to buy it at retail and it's more than £15-£20.

But most recent... hmm... for games I've never played before, and/or know little about... probably Strozzi which I picked up from a Facebook trade site late last year; all I knew was it was by Knizia, and was similar to Ra and Medici, both of which I've played but own neither, so this seemed like a decent punt at a superb price (£8 incl delivery).

This week: Playtest meetup tonight; I'm taking one of my designs to try out latest changes, and there'll be some other designers' games there to test too. Should be a good night.

Rest of the week: Not a lot. I've got Pandemic Legacy S2 on Sunday evening, but other than that, nothing else planned. Except playtesting. Always playtesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought and played Pioneer Days and really enjoyed it. It has TMG’s typical outstanding production quality and features some tight engine building to match the fun dice drafting. Great game, I recommend it for folks seeking a thematic combo-builder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought Forbidden Stars after just hearing Marty & Tony's review on RDTN. I didn't take into account the weight of the time required to learn the game, and as such it has never seen table time. I also bought World of Warcraft: The Boardgame way back in the day when I saw it for $70 at a comic convention. Never have figured that one out either, and yet again, it simply sits in my closet. Sadness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Impulse purchases...not many. However, when I attended a 1PG Meet-Up in PA earlier in the month, I did grab Deep Sea Adventure off the shelf as it had been hard to find/out of print for awhile.

As for this week...

Mon: Rules review for The War: Pacific 1941-1945
Tue: D&D 5th Edition
Wed: No games
Thu: Game Night at a local Irish Pub
Fri: Game Night: Star Wars Rebellion planned
Sat: TBD

Cheers,
Joe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kanost
United States
York
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
OH YEAH
mbmbmbmbmb
Got to answer my own question...

Tonight was Alien Artifacts at Comix. It was also meant to be something else as well (I also toted Flipships, Space Base, and Impulse... I was feeling spacey) but we managed to stretch the game out for the full three hours. I came in second, scoring the same as the winner but losing the tiebreaker by one lousy credit.

No gaming tomorrow night; we just bought tickets to go see Black Panther so we can go see Avengers: Infinity War this weekend. I'd be fine with just going to Avengers myself and catching BP on video, but my wife and son insist that we need to see it first. C'est la vie.

I hope we are able to get some gaming in at home again this week on Thursday and/or Friday! I shall touch base again later in the week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick McArdle
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Black Panther was excellent. Good call by your wife.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Liggett
United States
Celina
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Latest impulse buy was the dreaded, I need to get to 100 bucks for free shipping. That resulted in FAB Sicily. Plus it the last copy at CSI.

Gaming will be solo this week, as I am on the road. Probably Hostage Negotiator or Reading some John Company rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Grants Pass
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My last impulse buys were First Martians: Adventures on the Red Planet and a second copy of Armageddon. The main reason I got them was because of price. They were among what was left at Fun Again's warehouse sale. I got First Martians for $15 and Armageddon for $10. Couldn't pass them up, I guess.

This week I am going to try Black Orchestra for the second time. Played it when it first came out, and would like to try it again.

This is free comic book day at your/my local comic book store, and my buddy owns the one in my town so I am helping him Friday night and Saturday, so no Gloomhaven Friday night. After the event on Saturday, I hope to get a family game in of Scythe and I will be introducing Scythe: The Wind Gambit because I want to play the alternate end game conditions. Sunday...paint, paint, paint.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Klipfel
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Impulse Purchase: Gentes I like having the deluxified versions of games and after seeing Jason Lavine's (spelling?) ranking I instantly kickstarted it.

This week I really hope to get started on Stuffed Fables.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
La Grange
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
voodoochyl wrote:
My last impulse buys were First Martians: Adventures on the Red Planet and a second copy of Armageddon. The main reason I got them was because of price. They were among what was left at Fun Again's warehouse sale. I got First Martians for $15 and Armageddon for $10. Couldn't pass them up, I guess.

It's good that you have that second copy of Armageddon, in case you want to play it more than once.

I bought Potion Explosion on impulse during the Amazon sale last week - $27. I'd been eyeing it anyway because I knew the kids would like it, but that price took the cake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Grants Pass
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
It's good that you have that second copy of Armageddon, in case you want to play it more than once.

Hahaha...right?

So, to clarify: one of my FLGS's has a garage sale every six(ish) months. If I can get a smoking deal on something, I leave it in shrink, then turn it for store credit at those sales. I can probably sell this for $20 and make $10. ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sexton
United States
Silver Lake
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was able to FINALLY get in a game of Mottainai with my son. Its been hard to get this one to the table thanks to its less then exciting appearance and the learning curve. I was shocked to hear him ask for a follow up game so we may try it out tonight with the Wutai Mountain expansion.

I enjoy the game, but I'm not sure I would put it above Glory To Rome. I don't think I would ever want to play this with more then 2 or 3 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Played an 8-player game of The Thing: Infection at Outpost 31 last night. Crazy fun! It has similar mechanics to Resistance/Avalon (captain chooses a team to do a mission, all put a card in the pot, some may be Sabotage or useless items, see if you can deduce who put it in, else see if you pass the mission's requirements), just extended to a boardgame, where you also need to control rooms that set on fire, power outages, and specifically having to find certain things and fight "Thing"s.

It also has dice-rolling combat for beating the Things, where you have to get a certain type of result, and some people have dice-adjustments to help (so e.g. 3 of a kind, and the number of dice you get to roll depends on what cards people put in to fight with).

From what I understand, it's similar to Battlestar Galactica. You can tie a player up for a round if you find rope (like putting them in the brig), you can use a Flamethrower to force a player to show their allegiance card to the owner of the flamethrower, OR to torch them (show their allegiance card to everyone AND eliminate them from the game) or for +3 dice rolls.

When you unlock zone 2 and zone 3, everyone gets a new "blood-test" card, which could show you've become an "Imitation" (infected), so you may be changing allegiance midway through the game, which adds to the tension.

And... we (the humans) lost. We explored every room in zone 3 (the final zone before the Escape attempt), but having lost one, we knew it was unlikely we'd win by then, as we needed to defeat 2 Things to finish the level, and one of them may have been in the destroyed room. We then lost the final challenge due to Sabotage, despite correctly torching an Imitation mid-way through zone 3.

A super fun 2-hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sexton
United States
Silver Lake
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I managed to get in an enjoyable session of Heroes of Land Air &Sea in today. I like it a lot although I think the end game is a bit delicate and this game may prove a touch group dependent.

I also taught my kids to play Isle of Trains, which is an absolute delight of a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
La Grange
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This week, my wife and I returned to Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: The Thames Murders & Other Cases, having finished Mythos Tales. I have to say, as much as I liked Mythos Tales, the cases in Sherlock are more satisfying and the option to keep going until you feel like you're done works really well. We've now done seven of the ten cases of Sherlock Holmes. I will have to look into getting the next one soon, I think. I may opt for Legacy of Dragonholt instead, though.

Saturday night brought another game of Gloomhaven that ended up being really satisfying for me. I got something like six experience points in the last two turns which put me three over the line to level 4. This means our enemies get stronger now as our average pushes up to 4, but it was fun anyhow. A great Gloomhaven night.

Today we're going to visit some friends to play Pandemic Legacy: Season 2 and call it our April game. Last year we played Season 1 over the course of a regular calendar year, so we're hoping for the same thing this time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UPDATE:

Yesterday, I attended a Game Day at my friends' (Suzy and Rich) house for a 6-player Here I Stand event with its designer, Ed Beach. What a day! We were joined also by Jason (MAJBrown) and another gentlemen, Ted, for a day-long play of the game.

Here's who played what:
Rich: Ottoman Empire
Jason: Hapsburg
Ted: England
Suzy: France
Joe: Papacy
Ed: Protestants

We played through five full rounds and while we had to stop (as it was 11:30 p.m., following nearly 9-hours of play), it was an exceptionally close game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kanost
United States
York
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
OH YEAH
mbmbmbmbmb
Grishny wrote:
I shall touch base again later in the week.

'tis later in the week.

Thursday evening we did play some Space Base, and I was delighted to find that my wife liked the game.

Friday I took my son to work in the morning, and then in the afternoon I took some paid time off and we enjoyed several hours of gaming at the local board game cafe. We played Mottainai with the Wutai Mountain expansion, some more Space Base, then Terraforming Mars. We finished off our evening with The Hare & the Tortoise, which was new to me, and then a few rounds of Red7 before heading home.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
La Grange
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wombat929 wrote:
Today we're going to visit some friends to play Pandemic Legacy: Season 2 and call it our April game. Last year we played Season 1 over the course of a regular calendar year, so we're hoping for the same thing this time.

Holy cow, shellacked. Lost both games, which makes four in a row. We had to open the shame packet.

The group has authorized me to do some light reading to try and figure out how to get a handle on the strategy of this damn game.

We were pretty convinced that we just had bad luck on the second one, but still, really a bummer to lose that fourth one -- we thought we had it.

Meanwhile, I'm really enjoying playing games online. I finished my first game of Race for the Galaxy on Board Game Arena, and I'm in games of Agricola, Castles of Burgundy, and DungeonPetz on Boiteajeux. I just joined games of Race for the Galaxy, T'zolkein, and Terra Mystica on Board Game Arena.

I'd like to try Through the Ages, but I haven't played it before, so I am hesitant to jump into that one. If anyone wants to play with a brand new person on BGA for Through the Ages, let me know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Madsen
Denmark
Mårslet
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I'm embarking on my fifth play of Thunderstone Quest. I liked the original Thunderstone a lot. But it never got played, so I got rid of it. This new version is a lot better and I fortunately often gets it to the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
wombat929 wrote:
We were pretty convinced that we just had bad luck on the second one, but still, really a bummer to lose that fourth one -- we thought we had it.

From speaking to my friends who are through that bit, apparently it can indeed feel brutal, and you wonder if you're playing right, and then things ease off quite a bit. But that's just their experience of course.

My group are due to start January this Sunday [we played 2 prologue games last time, to get in the new swing].

wombat929 wrote:
Meanwhile, I'm really enjoying playing games online. I finished my first game of Race for the Galaxy on Board Game Arena, and I'm in games of Agricola, Castles of Burgundy, and DungeonPetz on Boiteajeux. I just joined games of Race for the Galaxy, T'zolkein, and Terra Mystica on Board Game Arena.

I'd like to try Through the Ages, but I haven't played it before, so I am hesitant to jump into that one. If anyone wants to play with a brand new person on BGA for Through the Ages, let me know.

I'm up for playing some Race for the Galaxy and/or Castles of Burgundy. I've also never played Through the Ages, but would be happy to try... just not sure when I'd have time to read the rules. Rahdo to the rescue...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |