Popular Tags: [View All]
Robb Rouse

Virginia
msg tools
badge
Blue Peg, Pink Peg Gaming Podcast
mbmbmbmbmb
In this week’s episode:

1) The Pegs discuss their recent game plays including Feudum, Twilight Imperium 4, Wildcatters and many more;

2) Review the bag building game Altiplano; and

3) Revisit Viticulture, including discussion of Essential Edition.

4)This part is reserved for "facts" that are allegedly fun.

https://bluepegpinkpeg.com/2018/05/07/episode-122-altiplano/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sexton
United States
Silver Lake
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Episode 122 (Allegedly) Scoring:

+1 to Patrick for "Problematic Auteur."

+1 to Robb for "Nothing bad ever happens in the shower" and "You're showering wrong!"

+1 to Jeremy for trying to teach Feudum.

+1 to Josh for correctly stating that Feudum has too much going on.

+1 to Christina "... and then you look it up in the FAQ and oh, its just bad design."

+1 to AJ for falling asleep during Feudum.

+1 to Josh Brolin for his performance in Planet Terror.

+1 to Christina for "Robb and I play this at home!"

Congratulations to Christina your Episode 122 Winner (allegedly)!

Leaderboard:

Josh - 2
Jeremy - 1
Robb - 1
Patrick - 2
Christina - 2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Jacobson

Omaha
Nebraska - NE
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The connection is Rob thinking in the shower is connected with Hitchcock, the director of Psycho.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Octavius
Canada
Chilliwack
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to hear people's thoughts on the player interaction in Altiplano. The game looks interesting to me mechanically, but it looks like the interaction is minimal. Are there meaningful ways to affect (or be affected by) other players actions? Or does it mostly happen accidentally when you take something someone else wanted?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Maltman
Canada
RICHMOND HILL
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maebon wrote:
I'd like to hear people's thoughts on the player interaction in Altiplano. The game looks interesting to me mechanically, but it looks like the interaction is minimal. Are there meaningful ways to affect (or be affected by) other players actions? Or does it mostly happen accidentally when you take something someone else wanted?

The latter. But it can be a bit of a race to get resources at different points in the game as they're running out, as well as the extension tiles and boats - which can be the only way to get certain resource engines going. But it's not major and definitely indirect interaction.

I punched my copy but haven't played it yet - the punchboards are different for the Renegade vs dlp - not worse, but just different. Rulebook was much improved in the Renegade version by Dustin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Anthony
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got confirmation my copy of Altiplano has arrived today. I hope to punch it and try it out over the weekend. It's complexity rating is quite a bit higher than most games in my collection. Usually I just get gateway level games to the table as I often play with my kids and family members who are casual gamers. I have not played Orleans which it seems everybody compares this game to. I was a little disappointed BPPP rated it where they did. I know that 4 is "above average" but I would of expected this to be higher and in Patrick's wheelhouse for sure. We'll see how it goes :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
La Grange
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
I am inspired by Patrick's mention of the nostalgia wave to start on my one vs. many role playing game where one player is the Principal of a 1990s high school, and the other players choose from a variety of stereotypical teenager roles, like the rich douche, the wrestling jock, the nerdy over-achiever, the cheerleader, and the nerd. It'll be called Saved by the Belding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Octavius
Canada
Chilliwack
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In regards to Twilight Imperium, I haven't played TI4 I used to play the occasional game of TI3. When Eclipse came out I preferred it over TI, as while it's not quite as deep of an experience it can be played in half the time.
The one thing I miss from TI is the political mandates that Patrick mentioned. Basically during the political phase a politics cards will be revealed, and players can 'exhaust' planets they control (giving up the resources they could have gotten that round instead) in order to spend that planet's influence voting for or against. Many of these cards if voted 'for' become a law that affects the rest of the game. (Ships can become cheaper or more expensive, more or less powerful, or even forbidden from being built.)

I haven't seen this replicated in any other game. I guess Fluxx has changing rules, but it's a very light (and random) game. If anyone is aware of other games where players can vote or spend resources to bring into play effects that change the game for all players, I'd be interested to hear about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Kelly
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The forthcoming Founder of Gloomhaven has a mechanic that involves players voting in connection with the placement of board elements that impact continuing game play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randel
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope I don't hear the word "reveal" again for at least two years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lorcan
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Choo Choo
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The discussion around Viticulture was a bit weird, it sounded like nobody really knew what was in Tuscany or how the various versions are put together.

The essential edition adds 2 extra modules (which were part of the Tuscany expansion) - Mamas & Papas, and Property (field cards). Mamas & Papas gives you varying starting resources and the field cards give you the option of selling your vineyards for quick cash. There are also two rule changes: there is no max score, and you can only get the 1 VP from giving a tour if you have at least one wine in your cellar (this is the one that 'fixes' the base game). It adds the Grande Worker meeple (but these were included in all but the very first edition of the game). It also adds some extra visitor cards.

The full Tuscany expansion adds more modules but also a larger board which doubles the number of seasons and adds more worker placement spaces. If you own Tuscany, you can add the relevant modules and apply the rules changes to create the Essential edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls