Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robb Rouse

Virginia
msg tools
badge
Blue Peg, Pink Peg Gaming Podcast
mbmbmbmbmb
Its time to welcome you to...your reroll.

Next episode we will be reroll Yokohama. Remember if you provide your comment, also provide your rating! We will pick several to discuss on the show.

Poll
1. Have you played Yokohama?
Yes
No, but want to.
No, but would if someone brought out to try.
No and no desire to.
2. What is your BPPP rating of Yokohama?
6-Game Collection Essential
3- Average Game.
0- The Worst
      183 answers
Poll created by rookenoble
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Anderson

Raleigh
North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only played it once but did enjoy the path building and the balancing of taking a good action versus building up for a great one. I certainly need more plays to fairly evaluate it but would gladly play it again and, in fact, want to play it again. The foreign agents (?) was a little bit fiddly but otherwise I liked the interaction of the various pieces of the puzzle.

4 pegs

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Whitpan
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoy the action selection of Yokohama. The variety of play is high and keeps us engaged.
Occasionally I find the maps are more of a passion than others.
Solid five for me, probably give a point for the deluxe version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Melo
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is an eye catching game but for some reason I never got around to play and have not seen it played on both of my groups. AT least on any of the night I was there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Masouras
United States
Syracuse
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played it twice now, and I am looking forward to playing again! Like the random board layout that makes each game different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Newman
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
and Tentacles
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I adore Yokohama. I'll never turn down a play of it (especially with the gorgeously produced Deluxified version). Fantastic Istanbul-ish worker pathing system and several ways to win. Can't get enough!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler DeLisle
United States
Richardson
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yokohama is my kind of Euro. I enjoy the fast turns, the sort of short term goals towards long term strategy style of thinking, yet you have to be really on your toes and constantly adjusting based on other people's moves. I also really love the small-scale, storefront warfare, area-control that goes on. You have to constantly be considering where other players are, and where they might be going. You have to plan your next turn, but also leave secondary options available at all times. The tech upgrades that give you little personal abilities. It feels like someone took Istanbul and ratcheted it up with some area control flair.

While I love all of that, what knocks the game down from a low 5 to a high 4 for me is all of the time it takes to setup/teardown and wait on AP players. The game has gone into the 3 hour range for me with 4 players, and that's just too much for me to break the game out as much as I'd otherwise want to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Turner
United States
Glen Allen
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game still makes the rounds at my gaming group with some regularity. Probably because I like it so much. I give it a solid 5, reaching for a 6. The nice deluxified bits help. I like the multiple paths to victory. Imports aren't working for me this game, I'll concentrate on the Church. Or lets make some tech. Fulfilling contracts works too. Or lets just slap out trade houses willy nilly. All are viable, and fun. The random board setup means that every game is going to be a little different. I just like it a lot.

You're never going to have to try to coax me to play this one. Chances are, if you're setting it up, I'm already at your table asking if this chair is taken. Unless someone AP prone is there already. That's where this game can fall apart. Decisive players can run through a game of Yokohama in a reasonable amount of time. The last time I played, an AP prone player made it last 4 hours. 4 HOURS!!!!! Sometimes a wealth of choices can be a detriment. cry I'm not going to break it out around this person any more. Knowing your players is a necessity with this one.

All in all, Yokohama occupies a cherished spot on my game shelf, and I don't see it going away anytime soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked up the Deluxified version of the game for free off of the table at WashingCon last year, right before running into Robb and Christina. I want to play it, but it just hasn't made it to the table...yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler DeLisle
United States
Richardson
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wonko101010 wrote:
Unless someone AP prone is there already. That's where this game can fall apart. Decisive players can run through a game of Yokohama in a reasonable amount of time. The last time I played, an AP prone player made it last 4 hours. 4 HOURS!!!!! Sometimes a wealth of choices can be a detriment. cry I'm not going to break it out around this person any more. Knowing your players is a necessity with this one.

Yep, sadly that's why I hardly play it. Even with 4 moderate thinkers and some minor distractions, you're looking at around 3 hours. There's an AP prone player in my group and I just don't even bring the game for fear I'd end up in a game with that person and I'd have to end up sleeping on the couch by the time we finished playing.

Great game, but it's pretty much a 2 player only game for me, occasionally 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Maltman
Canada
RICHMOND HILL
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it a lot and need to put it in the replay queue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben M
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Every time I play this game, I have so much fun - I would swear it’s a 5... and yet I never feel compelled to bring it to the table. It’s like that friend who you never hang out with because they’re just not the best, and then you do hang out with them, and you’re like “Wait, I do like you!!” But then you still don’t invite them to brunch. Probably says more about me than the game. Maybe it’s the art or some aspect of the theme, but Yokohama must be missing some sort of x-factor. It’s super fun, and I won’t get rid of it, but I think it probably is ultimately a very affectionate, perhaps even high 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sexton
United States
Silver Lake
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As others have said, Yokohama is a nifty little euro with a very busy table presence. I enjoy Yokohama a lot when I can get it to the table, but it has one big strike against it. Yokohama isn't nearly as good as Istanbul when you mix in both expansions for Istanbul. Istanbul scratches almost exactly the same itch, but allows for a more open ended "Sandbox" experience. Istanbul simply gives me more tactical options and diverse strategies. None of Istanbul's locations are repeats of other tiles, where Yokohama doubles down on many locations as the player count goes up. Istanbul even has about 50% more places to go to. Istanbul's Great Bazaar Variant is the gold standard of mid-weight euros and is a MUST PLAY for mid-weight fans.

But I guess we are talking about Yokohama - Solid 4 pegs for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McCallen
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only ever played this game with new players, so it seems to always take significantly longer than the 90 minutes the box suggests. But I think that's my only reasonable complaint about Yokohama. I like the variability of setup; I like the technology powers; I like that there are multiple paths that feel different yet viable; and I like that you have to give up assistants to get bonuses on the separate boards.

My favorite thing is making the paths of assistants. It's puzzley and rewards planning without being punishing while also being thematic. Everyone I've played it with has mentioned how they felt like they were opulent tycoons who are so above the riff-raff they won't even walk through a district unless there was someone there to roll out the red carpet.

5 pegs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hamilton
Australia
Byford
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My previous experiences with Yokohama's left me wanting more. My Nissan Navara STX appears to be much more economical on fuel when running on my current Bridgestone Duelers. The safety rating and life expectancy on the Dueler's cannot be matched. I would happily rate them a 5 peg. I can understand where the Yoki's are coming from but they were not suited to my needs, 3 peg.

I have not played this game. Unable to rate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Rouse

Virginia
msg tools
badge
Blue Peg, Pink Peg Gaming Podcast
mbmbmbmbmb
got them, thanks

Thumb up