17 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Podcasts & Blogs

Subject: International Movie Board Game Database (IMBGDB) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Luis E. Hernández
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is an idea that I have been working on and preparing for some time and that I can finally present you in an official way: a blog in which I gather together two of my biggest passions, cinema and board games. The International Movie Board Game Database (IMBGDB) intends to be, in time, a very complete archive about films (full-length, short and telefilms) featuring board games and variants (role-playing, miniatures, cards …), though your collaboration will be essential in order to achieve this goal.

At the moment, this is the just the tip of the iceberg. I know that there are lists and information throughout the Internet, but I do not want to limit myself to a "paste and copy” task. Until now, I have tried to watch almost every movie included in the blog, trying to identify the games which feature in it and their role and importance -or lack of it- within the plot of every film. Little by little, the idea is for the blog to grow up to become a worldwide essential source of reference on the topic.

Everything is provisional, even the title. With your help, ideas and suggestions, I hope that IMBGDB will grow and improve little by little. But remember that this is an amateur work done by fans in their spare time, so don´t be too demanding regarding layout or exhaustiveness. Patience and understanding, please.

With great excitement I present you the International Movie Board Game Database. I have been waiting to gather a minimum amount of posts (60 for the time being, although I have many more in preparation) in order to make the blog public. At the right of the page you can search movies by genre, decade, country… and games by alphabetical order or by frequency.

More information clicking in “About IMBGDB” and “Contributions”.

https://imbgdb.blogspot.com.es/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
FWIW my favorite boardgame-related film is the very interesting historical Indian film "The Chess Players" from 1977; I see it's not yet added at your site:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3Fgm0yaWbA
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076696/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis E. Hernández
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Russ. I know that film and I have a vast list of films to add, but I must do it little by little, in my spare time.
India movies are a whole universe. Just remember that Pachisi is a traditional game in this country!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martina Frohme
Germany
flag msg tools
The Dice & Mystics Board Game Guild say: Good play - better day!
badge
We can still hear you, Major Tom. Thank you.
mbmbmbmbmb
WOW, what a cool idea. That is a very good project. I'll definitely come back to that. (Have very, very little time though, due to work. But then, there's holidays. I did subscribe to this thread!)
thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis E. Hernández
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After a little less than two months, we have reached our post/movie number 100. It´s not a great amount, given the large list of films with board games we have (about 700 only with chess!), but the site will progress little by little. Needless to say, your contributions can make this work faster and better. Now, let´s head for the 1000 posts!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martina Frohme
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good luck there! Your project rocks.
thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you intend it to be only films or also count tv shows?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis E. Hernández
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only movies for the moment. There are too many TV shows, and I am not myself a fan of theirs either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis E. Hernández
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The website reached 150 MOVIES at the end of October! There's still a lot of work to do, but little by little, the project keeps growing.
Help is always appreciated!
https://imbgdb.blogspot.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Gameluis wrote:
Help is always appreciated!

For movies with Go, Sensei's Library has a handy page:
https://senseis.xmp.net/?Movies
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis E. Hernández
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Russ. I have this and many other lists. Lots of work to do for just one person!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis E. Hernández
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1st anniversary of the blog today and we have reached 200 films! Of course, just the tip of the iceberg, but I will keep on striving to make IMBGDB a huge and complete archive on the topic.
Remember that you can leave feedback under the posts!
https://imbgdb.blogspot.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martina Frohme
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is amazing; I wonder how large that iceberg really is. I never thought of such large numbers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis E. Hernández
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are hundreds of movies only with the chess topic! I have list of about 1000 of them...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martina Frohme
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So gaming really is a very substancial part of all cultures, it seems. If games feature so often in the medium film, they must be very deeply embedded, don't you think?
I don't quite remember who first said that, but it was some anthropologist or another expert whose name is eluding me at the moment, but the quote I have in mind says that it is the abiity to invent and play games is what makes us human (not speech, writing, self awareness or whatever). So to be a gamer is to be truly human???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Arboretum wrote:
I don't quite remember who first said that, but it was some anthropologist or another expert whose name is eluding me at the moment, but the quote I have in mind says that it is the abiity to invent and play games is what makes us human (not speech, writing, self awareness or whatever). So to be a gamer is to be truly human???

On the other hand, computers are continually improving at inventing and playing games too. And if intelligent life exists on other planets, then they probably also invent and play games.

So while games may be deeply embedded in human culture, being a gamer doesn't necessarily imply that one is truly human.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martina Frohme
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That stands to reason!
thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.