Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Chapman
United States
DONELSON
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have returned.....after a absence cause by real life,and new job(yay!)...I have been able to return to the group and will be posting again!

But enough of the sad stuff.....
My return question isnt that big,or complicated......

Who is going to origins?

I will be there and would love to meet some of the other pegheads and play some games.I am also bringing my best friend and it will be his first origins and my second....

But what we all really want to know is.....

What are you playing this week?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve O'Rourke
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No Origins for me this year. I have never been to a large con, but might address that this year with Pax Unplugged in Philly. Until Pax Unplugged emerged, Origins was the most likely candidate for a visit (closer, emphasis on play, etc.).

As for what I'll play this week, got our first game of The Mind under our belts. Played 2P with my better 2/3 (who has a limited game tolerance). She liked it fine, but said it would be better with more players. Got through round 7 with a life left, but had to call the game for the evening. (Her alarm arrives early in the AM.) We'll see if the rest of the family can be convinced to give it a go.

The rest of the week will be lots of grading, so minimal game play. Apps to take a break as needed and some turn-based play on BGA. If time allows, I'd love to get Legacy of Dragonholt back to the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kanost
United States
York
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
OH YEAH
mbmbmbmbmb
Me! Going to my third Origins this year! My 14-year old son will be with me for the entire Con this year instead of only one day. Looking forward to it!

This week’s gaming has included Scythe and tomorrow evening my first game of A Feast For Odin is planned. Rest of the week is unclear... my crystal ball isn’t getting good reception tonight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
No Origins for me, it being in the US and me being in the UK, and - you know - airline tickets don't grow on trees unfortunately.

For me this week: Yesterday was a holiday in the UK, so I got to play some solo Petrichor [the bot won], and a game of Imhotep against my daughter [she won]. All good fun.

And this week: Wednesday game night, in which we are planning to get some 'classic' games to the table. And by 'classic' I mean "modern classics" like Puerto Rico, Agricola, Trajan, etc. Should be a good time.

Rest of the week: Not a lot planned, so I'll be doing more playtesting of various projects. Lots to work on right now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good early morning, Pegheads!

Yes, I'm going to Origins, and it will be my third one as well. I've been asked by both Rio Grande Games and Academy Games to assist at their booths, so you might find me there! Also, I'm heading to the Brawling Brothers/BPPP Mash-Up at Callahan's, as well.

As for this week, I played D&D last night, but today, I'm heading to Savannah, GA to see my daughter who's attending SCAD. I'm bringing along a few games, including Deep Sea Adventure and Codenames to play with her and her friends, along with Glass Road for me at the hotel.

Cheers,
Joe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meghan Naxer
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be at Origins!!! Can't wait to meet new pegheads, get together with old peghead friends, and play all the games! Last year was my first Origins and I spent a great deal of it volunteering at a booth and scheduling some specific plays with people. This year I'm trying something different—no time commitments (so far)!!! I'll likely schedule some special gaming sessions with people, but otherwise I'll be looking for people and playing the games. GM me if you want to setup something specific or if you'd like me to bring/teach a specific game.

As for this week, Argent: The Consortium (2nd edition upgrade pack and expansions) was supposed to arrive yesterday, but the shipping was delayed by my post office for a day! cry So I will be anxiously awaiting my box of Argent goodness today and will be looking forward to playing it tonight. I'm also waiting for some more sleeves so we can play Mottainai with Wutai Mountain, which should also be arriving today.

This is our Finals Week, so I'll also be playing that grading game that Steve was playing last week. Though I'm also trying to take this week easy, as I am teaching a summer class that begins first thing Monday!!! surprise Thanks to this recent rest and relaxation, I was able to finish Persona 5 at least! Wow, Rody, you weren't kidding when you said 30 more hours!!! It was a great romp and I'm looking forward to NG+ sometime. Ni no Kuni 2 is probably up next, but I also have The Witness and Horizon Zero Dawn NG+ in the wings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve O'Rourke
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cuteusagi wrote:
I'll be at Origins!!! Can't wait to meet new pegheads, get together with old peghead friends, and play all the games! Last year was my first Origins and I spent a great deal of it volunteering at a booth and scheduling some specific plays with people. This year I'm trying something different—no time commitments (so far)!!! I'll likely schedule some special gaming sessions with people, but otherwise I'll be looking for people and playing the games. GM me if you want to setup something specific or if you'd like me to bring/teach a specific game.

As for this week, Argent: The Consortium (2nd edition upgrade pack and expansions) was supposed to arrive yesterday, but the shipping was delayed by my post office for a day! cry So I will be anxiously awaiting my box of Argent goodness today and will be looking forward to playing it tonight. I'm also waiting for some more sleeves so we can play Mottainai with Wutai Mountain, which should also be arriving today.

This is our Finals Week, so I'll also be playing that grading game that Steve was playing last week. Though I'm also trying to take this week easy, as I am teaching a summer class that begins first thing Monday!!! surprise

I'm still playing it, Meghan. Apparently, it's a campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sexton
United States
Silver Lake
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sunday I was able to get in games of Mottainai with the Wutai Moutain expansion and Glory to Rome Black Box with my son. I think I definitely prefer GTR, but either work pretty well at two players.

Monday the kids and I played Dungeon Alliance and we are already setting up another game of it. I also received my copy of the Argent expansion and upgrade bits. After reading through the expansion, I think it makes for a really exciting addition to the game, so I can't wait to try it out. The new minis for Argent are fine, but they feel a bit "chalky" so I'm not particularly jazzed about that. Some of the sculpts have been tweaked for the better, but the update of the color for one of the figures (grey to black) means its harder to see the details of the mini (boo!).

This week I have another session of Charterstone planned.

I'm hoping to get in some games of Omen with the kids and if I'm really lucky, maybe I can start the next chapter in our Folklore campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Grants Pass
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No Origins. I think GenCon 50 was my one and only big Con adventure, and that's okay by me. Now, if they moved it to San Francisco, Portland, or Seattle I would consider going. Still may catch one of the "smaller" ones like KublaCon some day.

It's funny, but playing games one day last week seemed like a slow week. Spoiled. Thursday we'll try for Black Orchestra and Friday should be my Gloomhaven campaign. Saturday is minis day, but I have to cut out early to play music. I'm going to try and squeeze in a round of Frostgrave during my limited time. We want to play a scenario from an expansion called Frostgrave: Forgotten Pacts. Should be fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Maltman
Canada
RICHMOND HILL
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes Origins!

I'm just finishing my last few big clients of the year in the coming weeks, and cleaning up my hard drive after busy season... but that means more and more gaming until it's almost gaming all the time for the summer.

Should be playing Altiplano this week at least once - punched it a couple of nights ago. I'd played the dlp version a couple of times on the Dice Tower Cruise and quite liked it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mid-week update: Game night last night, and we did indeed get our "modern classic" game thang on!

Started off with a quick 2-player game of the ever-classic Carcassonne, with Inns & Cathedrals expansion. I won thanks to a mega-farm giving me a 24pts boost at the end!

Then filled the time waiting for another table to finish, with a couple of rounds of 6 nimmt!. I did not win either round.

Finally, we got to the meaty game of the night, the Stefan Feld classic, Trajan, with 4 players. Great fun; my first play in physical form too (I've played it a handful of times on yucata.de). I came last, but it was very close all through, and I was leading for much of the game, but stalled near game-end having run out of Trajan tiles and not really having any way to get big points. Lots of fun though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina Rouse
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So excited to see all the PegHeads at Origins! If you see Robb and I please please say hello! If we have the opportunity we'd love to play some games with you all as well.

As for game plays this week Robb and I have been working through Pandemic Legacy: Season 2 The months of May and June were BRUTAL! We've rebounded in July and August and are looking good for September. This has been a lot of fun for us and even though it's not a typical two player game it works for us!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Grants Pass
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
YAY! Pegs in the WAYPTW thread!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Kauk
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TONS of Take it Easy! and Patchwork with my daughter. 7 Wonders, Azul, and The Mind!

It's been a GREAT week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sexton
United States
Silver Lake
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not exactly board games but ...

It finally happened. My save files for Fallout New Vegas (PS3) are simply crapping out and I can't continue any more. I have never quit on an RPG video game before, and have made it to the end every bitter time until now.

So last night, I started Until Dawn, which feels like a movie I should be discussing the October Horror Movie Thread that pops up every year. Teens + woods + killer/monster = predictable horror thrill ride. So far I've been treated to surprisingly enjoyable performances from Rami Malek, Hayden Panettiere, and oh yeah, Peter Stormare (you really owe it to yourself to see him in Swedish Dicks). For those not in the know, Until Dawn, is a giant choose your own adventure style game/movie. So far I'm enjoying it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kanost
United States
York
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
OH YEAH
mbmbmbmbmb
Grishny wrote:
...tomorrow evening my first game of A Feast For Odin is planned. Rest of the week is unclear... my crystal ball isn’t getting good reception tonight.

A Feast for Odin went off as planned. It was as overwhelming as I anticipated, but in a good way. So many options! I tied for last place with Jamie; Chris came in second but all our scores were very close... except for the guy who won, Matt, who'd already played it ten times. he was about 30 points out ahead of the rest of us.

I'd definitely seek out more plays of this one. Followed it up with some Space Base to end the evening.

Last night we had a friend over and played some Azul and finished with Anachrony. It had been far too long (January) since Anachrony made it to the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vorpal Greatsword
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only con I'm going to this summer is Fear the Con in St. Louis. Columbus and Indianapolis are both a little too far to travel to at the moment.

As for plays this week, we had our monthly game day on Saturday. I got to unveil Altiplano, and I was pleased with how it played. We then tried and lost horribly in Black Orchestra. I finished last in Century Golem edition. And I got to try Agricola for the first time. I've played Caverna before so it wasn't a big stretch to learn Agricola, and we had fairly scores at the end.

MW
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Alas our planned play of Pandemic Legacy Season 2 that was due last night had to be postponed due to the host being poorly. Hopefully we'll get to it soon (or we'll have forgotten how to play!).

Had a game of Petrichor over the weekend, with my 7yo operating the solo bot. Was fun; she just had to do what the card said but felt involved, and I could continue playing as competitively as possible. I managed to beat the bot (much to my daughter's annoyance) quite handily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meghan Naxer
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's here! Argent: The Consortium did finally arrive! With AMAZING new component upgrades and the expansion and all kinds of new things for one of my favorite games! We played it not once, but twice, this week! And it was awesome and amazing both times! After the first game we played a quick round of Hive, which confirmed that my losing streak is over! Saturday we visited my in-laws for Mother's Day and taught and played two rounds of Plums and yesterday we played a grudge match of Argent (I still won!), Mottainai with Wutai Mountain, which is awesome and adds a ton of new dimensions to the game, and we relearned The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game to see if we want to cull it or keep it. We really enjoyed playing it last year, but this style of game is getting harder and harder for us to enjoy, as we don't have a ton of time to invest in "homework" deck building. So it is added to the cull pile!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
At the beginning of May, I started playing some games on Board Game Arena and boiteajeux.net, so the first couple games there have come to an end. I've got about 8 games going now, each one a different game (so I don't get them confused), but I'm definitely finding I have the problem Patrick mentioned on the last episode, that people play too slowly for my taste. My Dungeon Petz game has a move every third day or so. That said, I've finished two games of Race for the Galaxy and one game of Tash-Kalar (with Patrick, who bashed his way around the board and edged out a win just a couple points ahead of me). If anyone wants to play a game on boitajeux or Board Game Arena, I'm wombat929 in both.

On the table, my usual Tuesday night gaming didn't happen this week, but I did get to play Secret Hitler three times with my detective fiction students (last day after class was done).

I also got a Wed/Thurs game of Star Wars: Rebellion in, with my neighbor bringing the Death Star to my door one round before I found the Death Star Plans card. It was a learning game (as I haven't played that for at least six months, and it was his first game), so we'll play again in a month or two and it should go more smoothly, rules-wise.

Over the weekend, things got a bit busy, so we played one round of Century: Golem Edition but no Gloomhaven or other big game. This week, once I'm out from under my mountain of grading, I should be able to play some more games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Grants Pass
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thursday night we played Black Orchestra. We'd get Hitler in our cross hairs, then the event card would move him, add to his military support, or move someone to our square and mess everything up. It was like the game was one step in front all night. We lost.

Friday night, I got to finally play Tiny Epic Quest and really enjoyed it. The player before me noticed I was low on health, so he decided to roll dice on his turn. Damage rolls start with the Active player, then get distributed to the next players until they are used up. It was enough to kill my people who were on their quests, and ended up costing me a BUNCH of points because it cancelled all progress. He made the right choice, but I was a little bummed. Still was fun, even tough I got my butt kicked.

We ended with Legendary Encounters: An Alien Deck Building Game. Looked like we were done for right from the start, as a chest burster got into one of the players decks. There are cards that allow you to look at, and remove the top card of any players deck. That chest burster was at the top we when played that card. Sooooo lucky. We ended up killing the perfect organism, but it was close.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kanost
United States
York
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
OH YEAH
mbmbmbmbmb
One last update... got in a couple of unexpected 2-player games with my son Matthew on Saturday, Codenames Duet and Patchwork.

Codenames steamrolled us, we lost three games straight and didn't feel like flipping the cards over for a fourth. Patchwork was a little more fun and a close game. It looked like Matthew was going to take the win at the end; he had so many buttons on his quilt and had managed to snag the 7x7 bonus, but he had just a few too many holes on his board and I won, 14 to 10.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls