Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Graves
United States
Grants Pass
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Howdy Pegheads. First off, Happy Mother's Day to all you wonderful Mums out there! Hope you got to play some fun games today.

Just a silly little question this week: What are your go to foods and/or drinks for game night? Do you choose refreshments based on convenience, tidiness, something else? Do you forbid food?

...but what the Pegheads REALLY want to know is, "What are you playing this week?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Depending on the play group the drinks are either beer and wine... or rum and bourbon.

Snacks are varied but usually whatever is available. If we are eating messier meal type food then there is usually a pause in gameplay just because it's inconvenient to play and eat something that uses 2 hands but we never prohibit any types of food during gameplay. I've never had a spill or any damage to games due to eating/drinking and I love keeping my games in pristine shape but I think that's probably due to gaming almost exclusively with professional adults that have their shit together. I'm very glad this isn't something that I have to worry about on game night.

Just got my first play of Orléans in this afternoon. Great game and I'm looking forward to exploring the strategy further.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
Non-messy snacks are best, cut up veggies, non greasy crackers, finger candy like M&Ms. Of course, since my wife and I have been watching our weight, it is sugar-snap peas and veggies more than the latter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meghan Naxer
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do enjoy a tasty beverage while gaming! I don't find myself snacking a lot when I play—I'm more likely to take a break between games (or during a very large game) for an actual meal if I need one. At long game days away from home, my go-to packed snacks are usually fruit, baby carrots, and cheese/crackers. Oh, and lots and lots of tea! I probably drink tea the most while gaming. "Tea, Earl Grey, Hot." I'm actually drinking this right now!!!

We have one more game in the "keep or cull" pile, so we'll likely be playing that sometime this week so I can post our cull games to the Origins Virtual Flea Market (if you're looking for anything, check out my trade games!). Aside from that, I had an absolute blast with Wutai Mountain in Mottainai last night, so I expect to play some more of that! We're helping friends move this weekend, so this weekend might be light on gaming. Now that spring semester grading is done and my summer class is underway, I'm hoping for some more regular weeknight gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sexton
United States
Silver Lake
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This week is Geekway to the West, so I'm planning to...

Demo everything at the Kolossal Games booth.

Demo Champions of Midgard at the Grey Fox booth.

I'm scheduled for a game of Blood Rage.

I'd really like to get in some games of GKR, Lords of Hellas, Cthulhu Wars, and Shadespire.

So yeah, I'm gonna have a blast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Rouse

Virginia
msg tools
badge
Blue Peg, Pink Peg Gaming Podcast
mbmbmbmbmb
Golden Monkey (beer) wasabi peas.

stuff I wont talk about on the Cast.

Got to play Feudum with Jeremy (and Patrick), love this game. The iconography is driving me nuts though, that should have been flushed out in play testing.

Also C and I are working (again) through Pandemic Legacy 2, we are on an upswing after having a butts handed to us 4 times in a row.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
voodoochyl wrote:
What are your go to foods and/or drinks for game night? Do you choose refreshments based on convenience, tidiness, something else? Do you forbid food?

Most of my with-others gaming is at our regular game meetup, which is held in a café in town, therefore there's always food and drinks available. I'll usually try a slice of one of the cakes on offer (my word, they're tasty), and have a coffee or lemonade or something (I usually drive down so don't partake in adult beverages, although there is a great selection should I wish to).

When I'm at home... a nice cup of tea usually suffices!

voodoochyl wrote:
...but what the Pegheads REALLY want to know is, "What are you playing this week?"

This week's plan: Not a huge amount:
- Start playtesting of the in-the-works Euphoria expansion, "Ignorance is Bliss" (see here for some info on it; that's all I can share right now);
- More playtesting of some other games in the works, and some more rulebook reading, including for Posthuman Saga (due to launch on Kickstarter tomorrow), which I'm going to be running demos of at UKGE (so I best learn it well!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j s
United States
washington
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't really encourage eating at the gaming table. We have one guy who always has gummies and he has never been an issue so I generally let that slide. I drink beer usually and offer drinks to my guests. But I have small tv tray style tables for them to sit on.

As to what I am playing this week.

Most likely Rising Sun and possibly Import/Export.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Grants Pass
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My Friday and Sunday groups play for 6-8 hours and both groups break for a meal. Sunday, I'll usually make the entree and have everyone bring sides. Friday group, my buddy's wife makes dinner. I have been bringing my own food, since I am eating good, but she has been making healthy options lately, so I may start eating what they have. All beverages are welcome at my table. Beer is good, but I have been sticking with diet soda lately.

Thursday night is undecided. Friday night will be a couple Gloomhaven adventures, and the monthly FLGS meet-up is Saturday. I'm going to bring A Touch of Evil: The Supernatural Game, Champions of Midgard, Dark Moon, Elysium, and Galaxy Trucker. We'll see what gets played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kanost
United States
York
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
OH YEAH
mbmbmbmbmb
My "main" game night has become Monday nights at the local comic store. We generally all go in on some pizzas from a really awesome local shop that used to be two doors down from the store in the same strip. Now they've expanded and moved about half a mile down the road, but we love their pizza so now we're just chipping a little more for delivery and a tip. Folks usually bring in some additional snacks... chips, cookies, candy, whatever.

When we game at home, it's usually after we've had dinner so there's not much snacking going on.

Tonight is Terraforming Mars night at Comix. This is the shop owner's favorite board game so we'll be allowed to stay past the usual 9:00 PM closing hour to finish our game. It also looks like we'll have at least two games going at the same time, since we have more than five who want to play and at least three copies that'll be there.

I don't know if I'll be able to convince anyone at home to play games with me tomorrow or Wednesday evening... I really need to sit down and learn some of the games I acquired in trade recently (Innovation, Core Worlds, Spike), so I might try to motivate myself to set up and play one or two of these solo.

Thursday the whole fam damily is going on a tour bus field trip to D.C. to see Ford's Theater and the National Mall. It'll be an all-day thing, but I'm thinking I might bring a few small-box games that we can play on the bus while we're in transit.

Friday we're headed up to the State College area to visit my uncle and aunt & family. They're gamers and we'll spend a large portion of our weekend getting various stuff to table. I don't know exactly what games we'll play yet, but Tzolk'in is usually a sure bet since it's my uncle's latest favorite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sexton
United States
Silver Lake
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grishny wrote:

I don't know if I'll be able to convince anyone at home to play games with me tomorrow or Wednesday evening... I really need to sit down and learn some of the games I acquired in trade recently (Innovation, Core Worlds, Spike), so I might try to motivate myself to set up and play one or two of these solo.

Make sure you check out the 1st expansion for CW before making a final decision. The first expansion is truly a must own for CW.

Grishny wrote:

Thursday the whole fam damily is going on a tour bus field trip to D.C. to see Ford's Theater and the National Mall. It'll be an all-day thing, but I'm thinking I might bring a few small-box games that we can play on the bus while we're in transit.

If you have a hankering for breakfast food, you've gotta check out Lincoln's Waffle House across the street from Ford's Theater. I know the name of the place is terrible, but I got through 4 years of undergrad eating Saturday morning breakfast at this gem of a dinner!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Paul
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Snacks for me are diabetic friendly, so high protein, low carb, no sugar. Drinks are pretty much water and tea - I "try" to limit my soda intake, even with diet varieties. Unfortunately, alcohol and my prescription meds don't get along, so I had to give up beer NECTAR OF THE GODS.

Gaming meetup is on Wednesday, and I'm trying to play "new to me" games; 2 weeks ago I got my first play of Champions of Midgard, and really enjoyed it. I hope to play that again with the Valhalla expansion soon.

EDIT: Gaming meetup finished about an hour ago, with Sagrada, Raiders of the North Sea, and got to play an early copy of Sprawlopolis, which is currently on Kickstarter right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
hornist34 wrote:
so I had to give up beer NECTAR OF THE GODS.

There should totally be a game called "Nectar of the Gods"...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dana Longley
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
sustenance usually based on ease of access: beer or soda (altho a friend of mine who managed to spill twice on the same night now puts his drinks into a water bottle for safety) and m&ms. Folks in my group often bring buffalo dip and chips and or cookies, which we usually set aside for break snacking.

Games getting pushed to table this week: Rising Sun, Hardback, and Xia: Legends of a Drift System
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Rouse

Virginia
msg tools
badge
Blue Peg, Pink Peg Gaming Podcast
mbmbmbmbmb
also our next reroll is Aeon's End going to try to get that in this weekend (new expansion).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Schwartzkopf
United States
Orange
CA
flag msg tools
badge
The science of history is a great bulwark against the stream of Time; in a way it checks this irresistible flood, it holds in a tight grasp whatever it can seize floating on the surface and will not allow it to slip away into the depths of oblivion
mbmbmbmbmb
njshaw2 wrote:
hornist34 wrote:
so I had to give up beer NECTAR OF THE GODS.

There should totally be a game called "Nectar of the Gods"...

This would clearly be a game about Dr. Pepper
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good morning!

I'm getting a later start this week than normal as I visited my daughter in Savannah for the better part of six days, as she was in a production of In the Heights at SCAD. While there (hearkening back to last week, if I may), we did have a chance to play a few games of both FUSE and Deep Sea Adventure, and I taught her Tiny Epic Galaxies, which she really enjoyed.

For those of you who may not have been to Savannah recently, they have one of the best board and card game restaurants in the U.S., the Chromatic Dragon. I wrote an article several months ago about the The Knight's Lounge in Portland, OR and this place also deserves the same attention. It's owned, along with the Jolly Goblin, a game store on the same property buy a former attorney for Hasbro who later married and settled down in Savannah. The restaurant has a library of nearly 100 games, plus video games if you're into that type of thing

On Thursday night, I played my one and only game of Magic...I received a deck of cards from one of the players and I set-out on my adventure, which lasted about 10 minutes, as I placed many lands in front of me, but had few spells to do anything really effective, especially against a more skilled opponent. I see the draw (no pun intended as the artistry is amazing), and while I certainly appreciate Garfield's work, it's a hard pass for me as it's not particularly engaging.

Anyway, back to this week...D&D last night (my 3.5 adventure), running a modified The Sunless Citadel module and on Thursday I'll host our second Game Night at an Irish Pub, taking over one of the 2nd floor rooms for a few hours.

Cheers,
Joe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Game night at the [toggle] gaming group in Palatine last night. Got in a play of Pulsar 2849 - love it! - and another of one of my favorite 1-hour thinky games, Via Nebula. Great game night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meghan Naxer
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So far I got 2 more games of Mottainai played with the Wutai expansion. If you don't play Mottainai, the rest of this will likely sound like gibberish.

1 brutal game: Paul played Curtain (I have to show a Tailor or Smith card to use his Tailor/Smith tasks) early on and I proceeded to draw 0 Tailor cards the entire game. ZERO! It was so brutal, as I was spending turn after turn no playing a task and praying for 1 card at a time. When Paul finally played Rope and stole my Om-work that had a ton of points racked up, it was over.

We immediately played a rematch and I got a Lily Pad out pretty early, which let me get 3 points for each matching helper. So I got a TON of helpers, which was actually helpful! Building a Doorstop (+2 points for each om-material-type work) and Tapestry in my final turn meant I had a HUGE points game: 49 points with 0 sales/backorders!!! We are loving the new expansion!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
cuteusagi wrote:
So far I got 2 more games of Mottainai played with the Wutai expansion. If you don't play Mottainai, the rest of this will likely sound like gibberish.

I REALLY must try out Mottainai some time, everyone raves about it. It's not even that expensive... I have little excuses left not to pick it up... Except maybe: What's it like at the higher player counts, anyone know (I doubt I'll get to play it 2-player)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mid-week update: Played 2 solo games of the beta-version of the Euphoria expansion (spoiler: it's good), and read a whole ton more rulebooks (proofreading of Teotihuacan: City of Gods, Cerebria: The Inside World solo rules, and Posthuman Saga).

I'm also expecting a playtest copy of Posthuman Saga to arrive some time this week so I can start properly learning it before I have to run demos of it at UKGE in a few weeks. Think I may try running a game of it at our next game night, next week, to practice the old teaching skills.

And I need to get on an learn the rules & playtest solo stuff for the Trickerion: Dahlgaard's Academy expansion that's getting close to being done.

AND there are a couple more rulebooks I've been asked to have a readthrough for readability.

AAANNNDD I've had an idea for a roll & write branching-story legacy/campaign game. No idea when I'll get time to sit down and thrash out the design though! SO MANY GAMES, SO LITTLE TIME!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meghan Naxer
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
njshaw2 wrote:
cuteusagi wrote:

I REALLY must try out Mottainai some time, everyone raves about it. It's not even that expensive... I have little excuses left not to pick it up... Except maybe: What's it like at the higher player counts, anyone know (I doubt I'll get to play it 2-player)?

I mostly play it at 2, but it also plays really well with 3. You'll need 2 decks to play with 4-5, which I have, but I don't anticipate ever playing it with more than 3. It also has QUITE the learning curve—Asmadi games posted some great play-through/teaching videos of it the first time it was on Kickstarter, which are still up on Youtube. It really helps for learning the game flow and decision making in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cuteusagi wrote:
njshaw2 wrote:
cuteusagi wrote:

I mostly play it at 2, but it also plays really well with 3. You'll need 2 decks to play with 4-5, which I have, but I don't anticipate ever playing it with more than 3. It also has QUITE the learning curve—Asmadi games posted some great play-through/teaching videos of it the first time it was on Kickstarter, which are still up on Youtube. It really helps for learning the game flow and decision making in the game.

I have only played two as well, but it's great. If you get the "deluxe" edition, which is the only edition I've seen available, it has two decks so you can play 4-5 out of the box.

Last night, I got to try Pulsar 2849 and I loved it, and we played a game of Via Nebula which I like more every time I play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kanost
United States
York
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
OH YEAH
mbmbmbmbmb
njshaw2 wrote:
cuteusagi wrote:

I like it best at 2 or 3. I have only played it once or twice at 4-5 and I'd honestly rather just play Glory to Rome at those player counts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sexton
United States
Silver Lake
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grishny wrote:
njshaw2 wrote:
cuteusagi wrote:

I like it best at 2 or 3. I have only played it once or twice at 4-5 and I'd honestly rather just play Glory to Rome at those player counts.

Its hard to get larger games of Mottainai to the table, but its a solid 2 player game, so no great loss. My only swipe against Mottainai is that even with the expansion I don't like it as much as GTR (which plays well at just about any player count). If GTR didn't exist, you'd hear people speak of Mottainai with the same level of enthusiasm. Both games become easier to teach the more you play the game though. There are some decent teaching videos too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |