Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Will Beckley
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Parent of big brother and little sisterMicrobadge: Deep Cat of the Deep CutsMicrobadge: 1870 fanMicrobadge: Alban Viard FanMicrobadge: One does not simply recognize great geeks. Not with 10,000 stars could you do this...
I've decided it is time for me to give the COIN series a shot (or three), and so I'm trying to narrow down the title(s) I'll use to give the series a shot.

I've noticed in my rudimentary (and wholly inexperienced) research so far that many of the games *seem* to be made up of two pairs of "uneasy allies" who are linked in opposition to the other two but each vying for their own victory. Certainly that feels like the case in Liberty or Death (Patriot/French vs British/Indian), Fire in the Lake (US/ARVN vs NVA/VC), and a few others I've read and watched reviews for.

Is that pretty much the case in all of the four-party COIN games? Or do some games feature a more complex matrix of inter-faction relationships? Where depending on the game state you might find yourself allied with more than one possible other faction?

I'm guessing the asymmetry in the victory conditions makes things a lot more nuanced than I'm able to grasp right now. Still I'm curious if other titles are more "open" in terms of the shifting alliances over the course of the game.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
Microbadge: COIN fanMicrobadge: Fire in the Lake fanMicrobadge: Liberty or Death: The American InsurrectionMicrobadge: Invierno Cubano fan
Wiyum wrote:
I've noticed in my rudimentary (and wholly inexperienced) research so far that many of the games *seem* to be made up of two pairs of "uneasy allies" who are linked in opposition to the other two but each vying for their own victory.
Liberty or Death is the by far the most extreme game in the series in that respect, where the two allies in each pair share half of their victory conditions, are able to use each others' units for both movement and combat, and are virtually unable to harm each other (except maybe by initiating combat at poor odds).

Fire in the Lake comes a distant second; here the US and ARVN are nominally allied but nevertheless tear into each others' victory points with a vengeance. The two insurgent Factions are really only allied in the sense that they both fight the same set of enemies; their respective goals aren't aligned at all, and they have only marginal ability to either help or harm each other.

A Distant Plain has a similar relationship between the COIN Factions as FitL, but adds explicit enmity between the two insurgent Factions. In that game, one of the 2-player setups pits Coalition+Warlords vs Government+Taliban (i.e., one COIN and one insurgent Faction per player), which says a lot about how awkward the nominal Govt/Coalition "alliance" is!

In Pendragon the two Briton Factions start out tightly allied but typically become enemies later on depending on how long the game lasts. (The late-period short scenario starts with them already at war with each other.) The two Barbarian Factions are always rivals, albeit rarely in direct conflict with each other due to geographical separation.

In the other games - Andean Abyss, Cuba Libre, Falling Sky, and also several of the upcoming games - one or more Factions may be more inclined to ally with certain Factions than with others, or at least be better equipped to exploit or steal from certain Factions than others, but any such alliances are prone to be temporary and end with sudden betrayal. Even Factions whose victory conditions are direct opposites (e.g., Govt and FARC in Andean Abyss) can occasionally cooperate against a third Faction that's getting too close to victory.

TL;DR: Yes, there are

Regards,
Oerjan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Beckley
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Parent of big brother and little sisterMicrobadge: Deep Cat of the Deep CutsMicrobadge: 1870 fanMicrobadge: Alban Viard FanMicrobadge: One does not simply recognize great geeks. Not with 10,000 stars could you do this...
Thanks for that detailed response, Oerjan! That helps me parse things.

It figures that the situation described most maps to the two conflicts with which I’m most familiar...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay M
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Microbadge: WBC attendeeMicrobadge: Shut Up & Sit Down fanMicrobadge: Dune fanMicrobadge: Brass fanMicrobadge: COIN fan
Properly played, almost every game has someone threatening victory and the others openly discussing how to pull him or her back. In that sense, the alliances temporarily shift -- to use the FiTL example, the NVA do not want the Viet Cong to win and will temporarily coordinate with the others to prevent that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Stites
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Dean Essig FanMicrobadge: JackassMicrobadge: Ron Swanson fanMicrobadge: Whiskey!Microbadge: Economic Games fan
I would say Andean Abyss probably is closest to what you're looking for. The AUC (right-wing insurgent) have a victory condition that is completely predicated on doing better than the FARC (Marxist insurgent). The Gov't and FARC are battling each other directly for support/opposition. As a result, there's a natural, albeit uneasy, alliance between the AUC and the Government. The Government wants the AUC to do some of its dirty work so it has a free hand to also try to keep the cartels in check. At the same time, the Government doesn't want the AUC to become too powerful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Beckley
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Thanks, Rex. I should be clear that I’m not necessarily looking for anything in particular. Pairs of uneasy allies is an inherently interesting relationship matrix. It was more that, if I was going to take advantage of the reprint P500 savings and grab two games, I wanted to try for them to be different enough to be worth having two.

That said, your comments have me trending from “some subset/all three of Cuba Libre, Colonial Twilight, and Fire in the Lake” to “some subset/all three of Cuba Libre, Colonial Twilight, and Andean Abyss.”

...but then, Falling Sky is being awfully resistant to being ignored!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Stites
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Dean Essig FanMicrobadge: JackassMicrobadge: Ron Swanson fanMicrobadge: Whiskey!Microbadge: Economic Games fan
Is your interest in Cuba Libre purely because of its small size and short play time?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Beckley
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
rstites25 wrote:
Is your interest in Cuba Libre purely because of its small size and short play time?
No. That’s a definite factor, but the setting appeals to me more than most.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Stites
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
Wiyum wrote:
rstites25 wrote:
No. That’s a definite factor, but the setting appeals to me more than most.
It's fairly similar to Andean Abyss, but personally I think that AA is a much better game than CL.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay M
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Microbadge: WBC attendeeMicrobadge: Shut Up & Sit Down fanMicrobadge: Dune fanMicrobadge: Brass fanMicrobadge: COIN fan
I own them all. I would just get your favorites, in terms of what is most appealing to you. Fire in the Like is, to me, the "must have." Falling Sky is, to me, the most fun and easy to learn (similar to Cuba Libre, but more fun to me).

For the third one, try one that the theme appeals to you the most.

The one that feels the most "different" to me is Pendragon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Berg Asklev Hansen
Denmark
Vejle
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: 'When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning' - Dr. Reiner KniziaMicrobadge: Strike of the Eagle fan - TukhachevskyMicrobadge: Commands & Colors Ancients fanMicrobadge: Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! - Russia 1941-1942 fanMicrobadge: Mare Nostrum: Empires fan
I have never tried Falling Sky, and am curious as to why many find it easy as it has rules for battles which seem far more complex than the combat rules in Cuba Libre or Andean Abyss

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay M
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
brian asklev aursen wrote:
I have never tried Falling Sky, and am curious as to why many find it easy as it has rules for battles which seem far more complex than the combat rules in Cuba Libre or Andean Abyss
They seem kind of complex at first, but there's a good flow chart in the game and they become second nature quickly. Battle resolution is intuitive and thematic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Carter
United States
Neptune
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Agents of Mayhem: Pride of Babylon fanMicrobadge: Tainted Grail fanMicrobadge: After Jesus was born in Bethlehem in Judea, during the time of King Herod, Magi from the east came to Jerusalem and asked, “Where is the one who has been born king of the Jews? We saw his star when it rose and have come to worship him.”Microbadge: Marvel Champions fanMicrobadge: Gloomhaven fan
And there's no support/opposition to keep track of. And three of the factions commands are identical.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
Microbadge: COIN fanMicrobadge: Fire in the Lake fanMicrobadge: Liberty or Death: The American InsurrectionMicrobadge: Invierno Cubano fan
plainscape wrote:
And there's no support/opposition to keep track of. And three of the factions commands are identical.
Almost identical. Three Factions have Commands with identical names, but most of the actual procedures are slightly different.

Regards,
Oerjan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls