TPoG
Denmark
flag msg tools
ISBN: 1-85723-146-5
badge
Hmm...
mbmbmbmbmb
christianF wrote:

Here's the end position of my game against Ed van Zon.

Red 16 - Purple 14

game
Looks great!

Now you just need to get it produced in speckled bakelite and boxed in a fancy element-themed box to make the big money.

But fun aside, if it holds up after more play testing, I guess you have a game that actually would benefit from a nice boxed version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
christian freeling
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
The Player of Games wrote:
christianF wrote:

Here's the end position of my game against Ed van Zon.

Red 16 - Purple 14

game
Looks great!

Now you just need to get it produced in speckled bakelite and boxed in a fancy element-themed box to make the big money.

But fun aside, if it holds up after more play testing, I guess you have a game that actually would benefit from a nice boxed version.
I agree, but where's the market? Storisende is long and tricky, not fast and tricky. I think Nick would agree that it is sufficiently protected against any chance of commercial success.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
christianF wrote:
I agree, but where's the market? Storisende is long and tricky, not fast and tricky. I think Nick would agree that it is sufficiently protected against any chance of commercial success.
Unless of course the tiles come with cute chibi-style art of chubby baby gods!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Tavener
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
The overtext below is true.
badge
The overtext above is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
christianF wrote:
I think Nick would agree that it is sufficiently protected against any chance of commercial success.
No problem. Just whip the growds into a frenzy with the following:

Stretch goal 1: Cloth mat with sea print for playing area
Stretch goal 2: thicker cardboard for the tiles
Stretch goal 3: miniatures
Stretch goal 4: individual male/female miniatures
Stretch goal 5: injection moulded tiles
Stretch goal 6: Cthulhu miniature
Stretch goal 7: bluetooth
Stretch goal 8: real water

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
christian freeling
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb

As a multi player game it would be cringingly collusion prone, so it's a two player game.
As an abstact game it has hardly a chance to begin with, but if, then it should be 15 minutes tops. It isn't.
Paste on a 'real life' theme, like "The Great Wall of China" then A) there doubtlessly already is a Great Wall of China and B) it lacks luck, randomness, hidden info, social interaction, in short all things fun.
Forget it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
christian freeling
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
russ wrote:
Another thought:

Since there are multiple ways of physically implementing the game (starting the game with a beige tile on every hex, as in the rules as currently written; or starting the game with no tiles and placing a green or dark tile during gameplay when a beige hex becomes vacated), I wonder whether it would be nicer for the rules to not even talk about physical implementation details like that, and instead take a more abstract approach. (Especially since the game may often be played online where there are no "tiles" in any case and hexes simply change color, right?) E.g. something like: ...
Something like this?. We're slowly moving towards Storisende's publication and I'd appreciate it if you would go over the rules one more time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TPoG
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
Hmm...
mbmbmbmbmb
christianF wrote:
russ wrote:
Another thought:

Since there are multiple ways of physically implementing the game (starting the game with a beige tile on every hex, as in the rules as currently written; or starting the game with no tiles and placing a green or dark tile during gameplay when a beige hex becomes vacated), I wonder whether it would be nicer for the rules to not even talk about physical implementation details like that, and instead take a more abstract approach. (Especially since the game may often be played online where there are no "tiles" in any case and hexes simply change color, right?) E.g. something like: ...
Something like this?. We're slowly moving towards Storisende's publication and I'd appreciate it if you would go over the rules one more time.
Looking good. You could omit the "The board paragraph". Also, I would suggest an endgame position where the winning player (most hexes) has fewer territories and men than the loosing player. Just to emphasize what matters and what does not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Looking good. You could omit the "The board paragraph".
Agreed, since it is irrelevant to the rules. Perhaps make an "afterword" or "designer's notes" appendix talking about the original physical implementation idea (in which case I'd also mention the alternate physical implementation idea of starting with no tiles, then adding a green or dark tile during gameplay).

---

At the risk of too much further tinkering in this vein, the notion of specifying that the initial map is built out of 7-hex modules is itself a minor physical implementation detail, because surely the game would play fine even if the board were not literally built of 7-hex modules. E.g. it would evidently work also on a standard rhomboidal Hex board, or a regular hexhex (e.g. for Havannah or Yavalath), or a random chaotic hex board (like the random map option for Catchup at littlegolem.net), or a board built from 3-hex modules (like Barony or Taluva), etc. So one could say that the board is an arbitrarily shaped hex map built by mutual consent (and perhaps provide a default board shape or default random board generation algorithm, in case players cannot consent...)

---

In any case, my read-through of the current rules didn't discover any other issues!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
christian freeling
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb

I understand that it's an improvement in any case

I'll chew on it a bit before we publish (still no hurry) and adapt it with the advise in mind. After that I'll add it to the database, thanks both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Moxham
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mb
christianF wrote:

I'll chew on it a bit before we publish (still no hurry) and adapt it with the advise in mind. After that I'll add it to the database, thanks both.
Advice (TPP) On which note, I have a few small suggested improvements, but no time to post them before Wednesday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
christian freeling
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
mocko wrote:
christianF wrote:

Advice (TPP) On which note, I have a few small suggested improvements, but no time to post them before Wednesday.

We won't publish before next weekend

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
christian freeling
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb

I've reworked the whole thing accordingly, new graphics, new grouping. It should be about right now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
christian freeling
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb

We've published Storisende and I'll add it to the database shortly. Thanks all who advised regarding the presentation of the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
christian freeling
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb

And it's in the database: Storisende.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TPoG
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
Hmm...
mbmbmbmbmb
christianF wrote:

Congratulations!
Now you need to get a good representative image uploaded/associated with the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
christian freeling
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
christianF wrote:

Congratulations!
Now you need to get a good representative image uploaded/associated with the game.
Yes, Yari Shogi too, maybe others. I don't actually think all my games are in the database, have to check that sometime.

But today Carolientje pulled a plug out of its socket and the socket out of the wall by sheer weight and I got to repair it with her breathing down my neck. Wish me luck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
christian freeling
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
christianF wrote:

Congratulations!
I apologise for as yet failing to do so. My plan is to fix all loose ends in the database (missing games, missing pics) in the autumn. Summer is unreal this year, allowing just enough activity to care for the animals and play Dameo at LG. Storisende will have to wait with the rest.

Considering that this is the first post in over a week I feel at liberty to show some recent pics of Carolientje and Snowy, the latter now in his summer coat. I posted pics before where he is in his winter coat. Spot the difference!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bentley
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

holy hell I envy your life
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
christian freeling
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
milomilo122 wrote:

holy hell I envy your life
I'm defenseless against the irony of that. Where did I go right? I feel inclined to comment that everything went uphill after I refused a job in the game industry.
devil

But that's not true. It actually went downhill after that. My MO in life has been a flight from one obsession to another. Then 'abstract strategy games' came along and it turned out deep and wide enough to last me half of my life. Now it has run its course and I'm facing the mystery of being there, this time without any particular wish to flee into something 'meaningful'.
Let's see how that works out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
christian freeling
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb

Of course taking care of the animals is meaningful within the current context. And since it is very quiet on the front, here are some pictures I took today:

Snowy is growing his sideburns again and his winter coat and the other photo shows my three snakes, the other three that is, chilling out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bentley
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
christianF wrote:
My MO in life has been a flight from one obsession to another. Then 'abstract strategy games' came along and it turned out deep and wide enough to last me half of my life. Now it has run its course and I'm facing the mystery of being there, this time without any particular wish to flee into something 'meaningful'.
"facing the mystery of being there" = I like that. Reminds of a favorite lyric (from a song called "In the Aeroplane Over the Sea")

Quote:
And when we meet on a cloud
I'll be laughing out loud
I'll be laughing with everyone I see
Can't believe how strange it is to be anything at all
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Joyce
United States
Yonkers
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
christianF wrote:
Considering that this is the first post in over a week I feel at liberty to show some recent pics of Carolientje and Snowy, the latter now in his summer coat. I posted pics before where he is in his winter coat. Spot the difference!
You could make a sweater from that coat!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
christian freeling
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
joejoyce wrote:
christianF wrote:
You could make a sweater from that coat!
That actually was the case when I had four of them. I collected it for a nice lady with a knack for natural stuff. She prepared the wool and was very pleased with its quality. She knitted me a sweater of it once.

Last season I also collected a shopping bag full from one single Snowy. I did it for Michel Grobben who runs a site called Sporenkunde (traces studies) in Dutch. He's a forester and also visited me a while back to get paw prints of Snowy. He trains one of his dogs on the scent because the number of raccoon dogs in the wild is growing in the Netherlands. We even have wolves now.
He's also the one who will take Snowy in if I can't, in particular if I die.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
christian freeling
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb

Nothing much happens at the moment, so here's another pict of Carolientje, taken today. Everybody including yours truly is doing fine and I wish you all a very happy new year! thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TPoG
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
Hmm...
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!