Popular Tags: [View All]
Meghan Naxer
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good morning, Pegheads! After some culling in preparation for attending Origins, I've been thinking about boardgame collection sizes. It definitely feels like our collection has hit "critical mass," based on the number of games we regularly play, the amount of good choices we have available to us (we're pretty willing to play everything on our shelf all the time), and the number of rulesets we can remember without having to relearn games.

So this week's question is how do you define your collection's critical mass? Amount of space on the shelf? Ability to remember rules? Playing everything X amount in a given timeframe? Willingness to play X games on the shelf?

But what the Pegheads REALLY want to know is...what are you playing this week?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, a very interesting question, Meghan. For me, my critical mass is definitely storage space - my games cupboard is completely packed to the rafters now (and that's literal rafters, as the cupboard is located in the top floor of our house and has the slanting roofing going through the cupboard so I can stack 3-games-high vertically on the top shelf one side, but only 1 game high horizontally on the other side).

If space weren't an issue, then I would certainly be more likely to get some more small-box games. Money is the biggest limiting factor on medium to big box games these days though, so that kind of keeps a nice limit on my purchasing, while the space means I can now only really do a one-in one-out policy... which I'm utterly failing to do, so I just keep rearranging the shelves to fit more in! Really must sell some on...

This week... games night on Wednesday, and I'll be running a demo of Posthuman Saga which I've got a pre-production copy of from the publisher to learn in advance of UK Games Expo next week (YIKES! IT'S NEXT WEEK!). Should be an interesting play, and good practice of teaching it.

Other than that, plenty of other games to do playtesting for!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve O'Rourke
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. Critical mass is based on storage space, courtesy to those who live under the same roof, and some sense of reaching an equilibrium.

We have a 2 BR apartment and space is tight. We share common storage spaces among the family, so there's no taking other people's areas for my stuff. One deep shelf of linen closet is my allotted common area game space. If I want more (and I do), I need to carve it out of my own storage. I did that by making one drawer of my dresser a place for small card games. I also cleared some space in my own closet for stacking larger games. Those spaces were made by economizing elsewhere. If I choose to use my space for these things, I have to decide what other things I don't need to keep or how to keep what I do need small and neat.

Interestingly, this has created a bit of a bias toward smaller sized games in my library. A big game has to be a beloved one to stay in the house. The culling calculations now include enjoyment, replayability, cost in the marketplace (trade value), and physical volume.

This week is full of different ceremonies for graduation (today and tomorrow) and two search committee meetings (Wednesday and Thursday). Not a ton of gaming time, but I'll hope to get in some Friday and Seikatsu. Tokiado, Saboteur, and Takenoko are going turn-based on BGA. To wind down or while on the train, I'll play some combo of Patchwork, Onirim, Jaipur, and Splendor on apps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Maltman
Canada
RICHMOND HILL
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a bit more space, so my driving factor happening now is that we have so many good games we are happy to play again that I’d rather cycle the lower end of that collection count now than add more to the total.

I do local math trades - we have them every 1-2 months here in Toronto run by different people (including me at the June TABSCon 1 day event, which also has a bring and buy silent auction where games can be offloaded).

Straight out buying will slow down a LoT this year, especially expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meghan Naxer
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We used to be confined by space, but now that we have a second bedroom as a dedicated gaming space, we actually have some shelves that are *empty* surprise Yesterday Paul and I were reflecting on this idea (hence the question for today!), especially in relation to both of our amazing BGG Secret Santas last year. It was the first year we both participated (I had participated for both of us the prior two years), and it was the first time we really started to feel this critical mass in our collection. Between both of our Santas, we added 8 games and 6 expansions to the collection in a matter of a few weeks. This is in no way to say our Santa experience was bad—we were overwhelmed by the sheer generosity of our Santas!!!

So if we have more than enough space for everything (which doesn't mean much to us...some of our friends recently described our place in terms of furniture/decoration as Spartan, given and taken as a compliment), what does critical mass mean for us? Part of it is willingness to play any given game, which is super high right now. Sometimes we have a really hard time deciding what to play because we love it all so much and want to play everything! Which means games that don't fall into that category, as great as they might be, don't make the cut. We also have a pretty low tolerance for relearning games, so if we are continually relearning a game on the shelf, we are less interested in playing it.

So far this year, we've added 8 new games to the shelf (not including expansions...we play most of our games a lot, so adding expansions is a pretty common thing for us), with 13 games culled. I think this year we're going to try to be a bit more careful and meaningful with new additions while continuing to reflect on our collection and how it brings us joy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Morris
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
I just hit 100 games and I think that's my limit. Time, rather than space, is my limiting factor. I just don't have the time to get every game to the table. I'm fine owning games that only come out once a year, but I have some games that haven't hit the table in years just collecting dust.

We're planning a cull of some titles that we've played out, or are merely good rather than great games. I love culling my "stuff" on a regular basis (definitely no hoarding tendencies here!) but this is the first time I've really looked at my game collection with a critical eye.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Kunes
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Space isn't really the issue for me, it is more about sufficient games to scratch the current itch while offering variety and regular play. My collection just over 200 is at the "critical mass" or as I refer to as the "saturation point."

At this point I would prefer to trade something that isn't getting played or that we've played enough for something else to swap the space and keep the size as is. So the growth of our collection has significantly slowed, because there will always be a few games each year we'll buy rather than swap or trade for.

There is a core subset that are just my favorites that don't get played often enough which will stay. But I'm trying to manage those that we play often with a few niche games for rare occasions.

This week I suspect we'll play some more Yokohama as time permits. School is out so now my wife is not motivated to get up early and play games over coffee in the mornings before I have to work. So I will get more morning running in, and less games through the summer. Now, I'll have to motivate her to play a game at lunch or in the evening... or get my kids to the table more often!

meeple Keep playing...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sexton
United States
Silver Lake
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am recovering from a serious gaming hangover from my time at Geekway last week. I managed to get in roughly 40 hours of gaming in, and I'm a bit exhausted.

Highlights from Geekway included:

Coldwater Crown (game ends too fast)

878 Vikings (fun but occasionally frustrating for me)

Nations the Dice Game (No interesting decisions, but otherwise inoffensive)

Fireball Island - Very pretty, random, chaotic, frustrating, and not a game I'm interested in owning (and I think this is going to sit on a lot of folks' shelves).

Glory to Rome - I love teaching GtR with my fancy black box edition. Such a great game.

Cthulhu Wars - I got in a 7 player Primeval Earth game of Cthulhu Wars. I love this game with all my heart. This was my first game this large and it was a blast. It was also my first time playing Wind Walker. I had a great time.

Shadespire - I had the pleasure of playing with Raf C. from the Ding & Dent podcast. A great time was had.

Western Legends - I played the short game, taught by Tom Vasel at the Kolossal Games booth. This was my first time meeting Tom, who is an excellent game teacher. He is pretty much exactly the same person you'd think he was from watching his videos and listening to his podcast. The game was actually better then I thought it was going to be as well. It fits that same niche as Xia or Merchants and Marauders, but lacks the same sense of climax that you get in Xia. As an owner of everything Xia, I'm not sure I NEED Western Legends, but those of you who backed the game will likely be very happy you did.

Fate of the Elder Gods - I was able to get in a demo of the game multiplayer, and a full game at 2 players. This is a nifty gem of a game if you like dice chucking mixed into your Euro game. The closest thing I can compare Fate to is Istanbul/Yokohama with only 6 locations and a lot of chaos. I say that as a compliment. Fate is probably one of my favorite "new to me" games of the con.

Omen: Fires in the East - I demoed the game AND I was allowed to check the demo copy out to play. As a veteran of everything Omen, I can say that I had a blast with it. There is some nifty new meat built onto the basic Omen structure. Great game!

Blood Rage - I love Blood Rage. Both it and Cthulhu Wars are two of my favorite games.

Import-Export - Surprise, its another clone of Glory to Rome. I dig what it brings to the table, although I'd argue it is inferior to GtR. I'm not sure if I like it better than Mottainai. Tough call.

Xenon Profiteer - Easily one of the best overlooked deck building games ever made.

Wyatt Earp - Another great rummy game from Mike Fitzgerald.

Terraforming Mars (with both expansions) - Somehow I've not managed to play with either expansion until now. I like having the extra cards to fill out the deck. You don't have to worry about shuffling your discard pile, even in a 4 player game. Too bad big money still seems to be the way to win the game. It was fun to have "the evil one" give commentary on our game while we were playing.

Palaces of Mad King Ludwig - Tiles & Bidding. Meh, this just wasn't my jam. Lots of decisions to make, but were any of them fun? Not really.

Champions of Midgard - Somehow I've been missing out on playing this game until now. Loved it! When teaching this game though, you should make a BIG DEAL in explaining that killing Trolls is NOT how you win this game.

This week I'm gonna get ready for Solo and an upcoming Shadespire tourney this weekend with my son.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kanost
United States
York
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
OH YEAH
mbmbmbmbmb
If I were just playing games at home with my family, our collection would have hit critical mass long ago. There are really only a few titles that we tend to play with any regularity. But I do a lot of demoing and teaching of games outside the house, and that has certainly had an "inflating" effect on the growth and upper limits of our library of games.

Space isn't really an issue at all at this point--we have a pretty large house with an entire extra bedroom dedicated to board game storage, and plenty of additional space that could be used if needed. I feel like we could continue to add games for some time to come if we really wanted to.

Nevertheless, I've started to look at some games on the shelves and think--does that really need to be here any more? If the entire family is tired of a game, it's time for it to go. So I suppose it's the Willingness to Play factor that has the most importance to our critical mass.

This week's planned gaming includes but one game: Twilight Imperium IV! My son and I are signed up for a 4-6 player game this Saturday at the board game cafe. It'll be his first time playing and my second. I need to sit him down and watch some how to play videos again in preparation.

I'm sure other gaming will be gotten in throughout the week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Grants Pass
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, I think critical mass can be defined as owning games that will never, ever be played due to lack of time. Part of my problem is, I have other people I play with regularly that also have good sized collections. That puts a strain on when my games will get to the table. Another bummer is, some of my games will get played once, then may not get another chance for a very long time. Maybe I am currently at critical mass right now. Oh well. It won't likely stop me from getting more games.

This week is Memorial weekend. I have to play music, so gaming will take a backseat. My regular playgroup is doing a Charterstone campaign that I'm not in, and they will probably play Sunday. I just may be a sad little critter, all alone, with nobody to play games with...until the following week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
I have pretty much reached critical mass, which exceeds the number of games I'll reasonably play often but is actually shaped by the space for storage. If I wanted to go to the rafters, we do have room for a few more games, but right now I'm focusing on getting rid of stuff I don't use as new things come in.

One challenge is that my son has an emotional attachment to games he remembers enjoying, but doesn't actually enjoy or even want to play any more. I still have Castle Panic, Marvel Legendary, and a couple others because he asked me not to get rid of them, even though he never wants to play them. I may ask him to put them in his room if he wants to keep them. That will get rid of them fast.

I also have a really appalling Shelf of Opportunity, which I am dilligently working on reducing, but there are so many good games!

(I have just begun a project of cataloging and selling my Warhammer 40k stuff from the early 2000s. This will clear off a much needed chunk of shelf space.)

Playing this week:
- I am attending [toggle gaming] on Tuesday, where we plan to play a game of Anachrony (yay!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Grants Pass
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scottatlaw wrote:

Champions of Midgard - Somehow I've been missing out on playing this game until now. Loved it! When teaching this game though, you should make a BIG DEAL in explaining that killing Trolls is NOT how you win this game.

I would LOOOOOOOOOVE to hear your thoughts on 878. Also, get the expansion for Champions of Midgard. They are so damn good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hamilton
Australia
Byford
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Managed to escape the handcuffs of my life (so exaggerated) and am currently holidaying over in Bali Indonesia with a few mates.

So far in our down time we've played
- ponzi scheme x2
- baseball highlights 2045
- mammuz x 6
- majesty x 2
- the lost expedition x 4
- yamatai x 2
- Flamme rogue x 6

2 days left, only terraforming mars (all first plays) to go, wish me luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Klipfel
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My critical mass is due to space. My wife has a hard time letting go of just about anything. When we try to clean out the storage room it usually ends in an argument. Along with that we have 4 daughters and a 2,000 square ft home. So I have half of a closet and 2 shelves and some space in storage for games.

Games this week

I have had Stuffed Fables sitting around the house for a few weeks and finally got to play it. My daughters ages 10 and 8 had a blast as we had an adventure through chapter 1. They have grown attached to Lumpy and Flops as their favorite characters. At one point we did a search action needing to
Spoiler (click to reveal)
pull the red wagon out from a pile of toys. Instead due to dice results she grabbed a backpack. At first my daughter looked disappointed, but I got into character and in my Theadora voice I started joking about Flops getting distracted by the beautiful backpack and forgetting about the red wagon
Anyway the girls have asked to play the game again. I have heard them talking about the story line. Yet it is interesting enough that I enjoy myself also. I find drawing dice from the bag and using those as your actions for the turn to be very enjoyable.

Continuing with the Fable idea we also played Fabled Fruit. We are about 1/3 through the game. Currently we have an odd collection of cards which makes it very difficult to add cards on your turn. Which is currently making the games feel like a grind to get through. Hoping the next game will bring us some more interesting options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sexton
United States
Silver Lake
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
voodoochyl wrote:
scottatlaw wrote:

I would LOOOOOOOOOVE to hear your thoughts on 878. Also, get the expansion for Champions of Midgard. They are so damn good.

Alex from The Dukes of Dice was running the Grey Fox Games booth for most of the Con and he managed to sell me everything Champions of Midgard.

878, well, it just felt weird. It is a very different feeling game from the birth of America series despite running on the same engine. The micro minis instead of the cubes was a miss-step IMHO because they aren't particularly user friendly and just look a bit sloppy on the board. Part of my beef is that the Vikings play so very differently from every other faction in this game series, and I can't quite grok the proper way to play them. They are super swingy too. One minute you are having a blast, and the next you are gnashing your teeth in frustration. I'm also not a big fan of the spread of combat values on the dice. It all felt a bit off for me, but I could totally see there being folks who dig this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Early-week update: Last night, got a solo game of Trickerion: Legends of Illusion in (playtesting the forthcoming expansion, but yet to try the new Academy-specific bits). Very clever automa for solo. I look forward to seeing how it looks in the final production.

Then today, my daughter is poorly (ear infection) so we got a chance to play Coloretto at lunchtime - played 3 rounds, I won the first, we drew on the 2nd (and there's no tiebreaker), and she won the 3rd - so it was an overall draw! Well played her.

And during my afternoon break, I tried out That's Pretty Clever and scored a respectable 193vp (not at all bad for a first try), and Welcome to Dino World (finally giving it a try after a year of having it printed out!). Nice roll & write afternoon break.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kanost
United States
York
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
OH YEAH
mbmbmbmbmb
Grishny wrote:

Monday night I got to teach my boys and a fellow game night regular, Alex, how to play Innovation. It was my first time teaching it and I forgot the rule that you must have a top card in play equal to or greater than the achievement you want to claim (in addition to having a score of at least 5x the value of said achievement). This broke the game and allowed my son Matthew to run away with the win. Big asterisk on that win though.

Then we played several rounds of Codenames with 7-players. I was on the red team and we lost every game. Boooo!

Finally, pleasing me to no end, my older son picked Terra Mystica out of my game bag for us to play next. Alex had never played it before and the boys were rusty so I got to exercise my teachin' skills again. I tried a new-to-me faction (Swarmlings) and found them a pleasure to play, obtaining a new top score in the game (111).

Today I found a package from PSI waiting for me at work. Inside were two new additions to the collection from Bezier Games: New York Slice and Whistle Stop! Can't wait to unbox, punch, and earn how to play these. They will not stay on the Shelf of Opportunity for long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sexton
United States
Silver Lake
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grishny wrote:
Grishny wrote:

Monday night I got to teach my boys and a fellow game night regular, Alex, how to play Innovation. It was my first time teaching it and I forgot the rule that you must have a top card in play equal to or greater than the achievement you want to claim (in addition to having a score of at least 5x the value of said achievement). This broke the game and allowed my son Matthew to run away with the win. Big asterisk on that win though.

How old are your sons and are they veterans of other Chudyk games? I can play GtR & Mottainai with my son, but I'm afraid of trying this or Impulse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
njshaw2 wrote:
And during my afternoon break, I tried out That's Pretty Clever and scored a respectable 193vp (not at all bad for a first try)

I played That's Pretty Clever once more last night, and got an amazing 270 points, just 10 points off the top level score barrier for solo play! Very pleased with that. Now I want to try reaching that top-score level. And some folks on Facebook (where I mentioned my score) have reported scores of well over 300, so I have more heights to aim for!

Also played another solo game of Trickerion: Legends of Illusion, and got whipped severely by the bot [I upped its difficulty so not surprising!]. Really fun and engaging to play though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kanost
United States
York
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
OH YEAH
mbmbmbmbmb
scottatlaw wrote:

How old are your sons and are they veterans of other Chudyk games? I can play GtR & Mottainai with my son, but I'm afraid of trying this or Impulse.

13 (almost 14) and 18. Yes, they have both played GtR, Mottainai, and Impulse with me. They really haven’t had much choice in the matter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good morning, Pegheads! I'm very late to the party this week...

As for critical mass, as the others have said, it's about shelf space. I'm at a shade over 50 designer games, withy another dozen games on my shelf from my daughter's youth (Headbanz) and classic games (Cyrillic/Russian version of both Scrabble and Monopoly; Mastermind, and a few others from Front Porch Games).

As for this week...

Tue: D&D night via Skype ~ Deeper into the Sunlit Citadel
Thu: Hosted Game Night at the Irish Pub in Glen Echo, MD
Fri: Dinner an gaming w/friends
Sat: Teach a few new games to a young woman I've started dating...she's interested in learning

Cheers,
Joe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
Had a great game of Anachrony on Tuesday -- a personal best score of 75 points. We were playing with the side B tiles and I was the Salvation group. My best payoff was going to be the time travel track, so I leaned hard into that. Early on, the superproject that gives you +1 point per step on the time-travel track came up and I built it. So at the end of the game, when we went for scores, I got 28 points from those two things.

Then yesterday my son proposed playing Galaxy Trucker, which we both thoroughly enjoyed. He doesn't like to play it quickly, so it isn't really competitive in the same way as it is intended. But it was fun nonetheless. Has me eyeing that anniversary edition again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My teach of Posthuman Saga last night went well! 4 players playing, 30 mins teach, 2.5 hours play time. We had to call it before the end, alas, due to the cafe's closing time, but it was close (probably would have finished in 30 mins more, at most).

I *think* all the players enjoyed it. Some wouldn't necessarily want to play it again, but it wasn't their usual style of game, so fair enough. The other two would be up for playing again, so that's a good sign. One guy compared it to Near and Far (saying he'd prefer to play Near & Far for that kind of feel), and the other guy compared it to Fallout. So some good company it's fitting in with there!

No rules goofs made during the teach thankfully, although I now know which bits of the rules need underlining during explanation, as they were missed / misunderstood by some players.

Only negative is that if you fall behind early on in the game, it's pretty hard to ever catch up with the leaders. I personally don't mind that, as I'd be playing it for the narrative storyline bits, but it's not much fun to be lagging behind knowing you have no hope of even getting into 3rd place, let alone 2nd or 1st. Will discuss that with the designers/publisher.

And in other news, look who got their name credited on the [solo] rulebook cover for Cerebria: The Inside World...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meghan Naxer
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wombat929 wrote:
Then yesterday my son proposed playing Galaxy Trucker, which we both thoroughly enjoyed. He doesn't like to play it quickly, so it isn't really competitive in the same way as it is intended. But it was fun nonetheless. Has me eyeing that anniversary edition again.

We played this for the first time not too long ago with some friends and that anniversary edition shot up my wishlist! What a great game!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dreux Barbier
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This week is a solo week. Playing first few games of Secrets of the Lost Tomb, so far it's been fun.
Also playing learning games of Altiplano.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |