Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
I just wanna play more games
badge
Hoothoot GRRR!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't feel I've hit Critical Mass yet, though I definitely have a number of games I'd like to find new homes for.
I think Critical Mass for me would be having the right blend of light, medium & heavy for all the styles I enjoy.
I know I've reached Critical Mass in certain areas. Definitely there for 2 player games, only have 1 that I'm looking at still there, though there's a couple of new editions of older ones I'd happily trade out.

As for plays, only had time for light fare this week. Finally got to table a game I backed ages ago, Avalanche on Yeti Mountain. Played it 2 player a few times & it was a blast. Definitely could use a little more clarity in rulebook but nothing dire.
Look forward to trying it with advanced rules and the Inventors KS bonus stuff next time
Hoping I get more in over weekend but we'll see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meghan Naxer
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a ton of gaming in as we've been busy with other things in the evenings. We did get a chance to try Shadows in Kyoto (basic and advanced game), and we were underwhelmed. This was on our wishlist for a really long time and got to borrow a copy from a friend to try. We found it to be dull and slightly boring and I think I would have preferred a game of Stratego! surprise

Weekend goal: relearning the rules for Kanban: Driver's Edition and playing our new copy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kanost
United States
York
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
OH YEAH
mbmbmbmbmb
Grishny wrote:
Today I found a package from PSI waiting for me at work. Inside were two new additions to the collection from Bezier Games: New York Slice and Whistle Stop! Can't wait to unbox, punch, and earn how to play these. They will not stay on the Shelf of Opportunity for long.

New York Slice hit the table last night. Actually, so did Whistle Stop, but only for a few rounds with me playing all sides so I could relearn the rules. I expect we'll get a full game played tonight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Stearns
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Getting to the point where I need to start thinking about critical mass. shelf is full, and I think one shelf is enough for me. As others have said, there's only so many games I can reasonably play each year, plus my game group has a large collection as well.

I traveled to Mexico this week so not a lot of time to play. I did get two plays in last night of our Near and Far campaign, finally won a game too!

Hoping to get some games in on Sunday as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vorpal Greatsword
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My family was on vacation this week so I missed our Friday D&D game, but we got in some gaming yesterday. First play was an intro game of In the Year of the Dragon. I somehow managed to win by a point. It was a close game.

Then we played Altiplano. I came in last, but that was mainly because I wasnt as efficient in getting my engine running and I bought some side actions that were never really too useful for me. Everyone enjoyed it though, so I am confident that it will see more table time so I can improve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phx Coyotes
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's both a holiday weekend and the weekend of Phoenix Comicon (Comic Fest this year, but that's not important), so I have been doing a ton of gaming with friends and strangers alike
My most played game has been late nights after Con with Red Dragon Inn as a drinking game to close out the night. Besides that, I've been lucky enough to play heavier games like Scythe, Twilight Struggle, and Terraforming Mars to getting in tons of fillers like Love Letter, CAH, Betrayal at House on the Hill, King of Tokyo, Telestrations, and Monikers.
Comicon and the long Memorial Day weekend has made this one of the best gaming blocks I've had since Christmas, and I'm going to go join up with some Con gamers later tonight at a hotel downtown. I wish every weekend was like this <3
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kanost
United States
York
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
OH YEAH
mbmbmbmbmb
Grishny wrote:
Inside were two new additions to the collection from Bezier Games: New York Slice and Whistle Stop! Can't wait to unbox, punch, and earn how to play these. They will not stay on the Shelf of Opportunity for long.

We played New York Slice on Thursday evening, and Whistle Stop hit the table for the first time on Friday.

Saturday was Twilight Imperium IV day; we started at 10:30 AM and finished our five-player game in 7 hours 10 minutes. It was a tight race; we played to 10 points and besides the guy who won, the scores were 9, two 8s, and a 7.

After that wrapped up we stayed at the cafe and played a four-player game of Terra Mystica... this might be the first time since I learned it that I got to play it twice in one week! I played the Chaos Magicians...not very effectively; I got third place. My son almost won with the Halflings, but the new guy came from behind in the last few rounds playing the Witches and pulled ahead, beating him 104 to 101.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meghan Naxer
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We did end up playing Kanban: Driver's Edition! But only sort of...we played through the first meeting and first week and called it quits since we started late. It was a good learning game to pull levers and remember how everything comes together and we're excited to play a full game soon! On Saturday, Paul was in the mood for a euro and I was in an Uwe mood, so we got out Ora et Labora and it was a great time! Paul didn't end the game fast enough, so we both ran our engines a few extra times at the end for some huge points!

Yesterday we celebrated our 11th wedding anniversary with a big date day to a coffee shop, my favorite burger place, got some groceries since we were in the area, dropped them off at home and then went back out for some tasty beverages at our favorite local beer place. During our adventures we packed the Quiver and played Arboretum, The Fox in the Forest, and San Juan (Second Edition). After we came home and made some dinner we got in a game of Five Tribes and it was a great day all around!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
My cousin and her husband visited this weekend, just as our first heat wave landed and we all wanted to stay inside in the air conditioning. So it was games games games!

Sat:
Between Two Cities
One Night Ultimate Werewolf x2
Escape: The Curse of the Temple
Monstrous
Zombicide: Black Plague
Betrayal at House on the Hill
A Game of Thrones: Hand of the King x2
Clank!: A Deck-Building Adventure

Sun:
Potion Explosion
A Game of Thrones: Hand of the King x4
Mountains of Madness
Century: Golem Edition
Ghostbusters: The Board Game
Escape: The Curse of the Temple x2
Arctic Scavengers

I hadn't played Ghostbusters, Zombicide, or GOT: Hand of the King before. I didn't like Ghostbusters much. I liked Zombicide fine, but I only need one "let's kill all the zombies" game and I already have and like Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game, but would play again if someone had it out. The big winner for me was Game of Thrones: Hand of the King. This is an almost themeless abstract strategy game, but surprisingly deep and fun to play -- takes about 20 minutes. If you get a chance to try it, I recommend.

When you play you move one card (Verys) around for the whole game, so my cousin had pimped theirs out with a little Verys statue. Here he is:

Overall, a very enjoyable weekend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Grants Pass
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Busy weekend for playing music, but I managed to play two Warhammer battles on Saturday. I'm still new to playing (been primarily assembling, painting, etc.) and it is an intimidation game. Got beat up the first game (tabled...he killed every last one of my dudes) and won the second game in a tie-break situation. So much fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  |