1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [37] | 

1 Player guild» Forums » General

Subject: What are you listening to? And your overall tastes in music. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Comboteur "Crazed 'Beastface' Survivor" Fou
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey folks!

So as not to derail the What are you reading thread, and being a music fiend, I'd like to know what you listen to (not necessarily game related) and what you're fond of overall!

Let me start

I listen to music a TON! There was a time, I listening to music 14 hours a day. So much so that it actually made me slightly mad, but you see, I wanted to become a professional bass guitar player and I had to listen listen listen.

Now I stopped playing the bass but I still can't get enough music! Although playing it opened my ears to great artists I would never have found otherwise, such as Jaco Pastorius, Marcus Miller, Victor Wooten etc.

I have listened to a lot of Metal music when I was younger and still do. But I'm also deep into Jazz music today

At the moment, I'm listening to Breakestra - Dusk Til Dawn and it feels pretty good!

I tend to function by artist's discographies, listening to them over several days, one album a day.

Recently and currently, I listen to the following discographies:
- Blind Guardian
- Tankard
- Charles Mingus
- Wayne Shorter
- Thelonious Monk
- Savatage/Jon Oliva's Pain
- Mark Knopfler
- Eric Burdon

Aside from that I like pretty much every genre, but am quite picky in who I listen to in that genre. Usually, not the most popular ones

So, your turn!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dodds
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
"If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
I like all kinds of music from classical to heavy metal, with a big shout out to the blues. There are no prizes for guessing one of my most enduringly favourite bands as my username is a bit of clue. (I'll be expecting some lyrics to be quoted by Athena in response to this or I shall be very disappointed!)

My go-to music when solo gaming is Bonobo as I find his music both relaxing and not distracting from the game I'm playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daffin
United Kingdom
Ledbury
Herefordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I currently have Dua Lipa on loop in my car, and before that it was a few albums from Above and Beyond and Ellie Goulding. Quite a bit different from my regular favourite instrumental artists (Mike Oldfield, Gordon Giltrap, Sky.....).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Berard
United States
Wabash
IN
flag msg tools
Hit 'em high.
badge
Hit 'em low.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey! I played bass too! I was...pretty bad, though. Small time rock/punk band. Fun though, and I still have it despite the fact the internals are shot. Nostalgia I guess...

As for music, my go to right now is They Might Be Giants. I've been listening to them since I was five years old and haven't stopped. Everything They make, while uniquely Them, covers such a wide array of musical genres that They're almost impossible to get tired of.

Beyond that, I'm very into Third Wave Ska (Aquabats, Reel Big Fish, Less Than Jake, etc.). At least lately - needed a little extra pep for the long work weeks.

Outside of those, I'll listen to just about anything. I tend to avoid current hip hip, but if I'm out and it comes on I'm okay. I love listening to acoustic guitar and bluegrass music (depending on the mood). And I definitely have a soft spot for Family Force 5 (christian crunk...you read that right. I recommend finding the song Love Addict for a taste).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerds call me
United States
N Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually jam to either Deftones or EDM. Some of my favorite EDM artists are: Alina Baraz & Galamatias, Imagined Herbal Flows, Zhu, Seven Lions, Emancipator, the Monstercat albums, Bonobo, and a ton more that I can't list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dorktron2000 wrote:
Deftones

Leathers heartheartheart
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C S
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Right now: Lee Scratch Perry- Super Ape

In general: a lot of psychedelic and progressive rock (particularly Krautrock), punk and post punk, modal jazz and free jazz, early fusion (i.e. Miles Davis and Herbie Hancock's 70s output), Reggae, US, English and central European folk music, afrobeat, 80s and 90s techno, synthpop etc etc
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Lemckert
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No specific style or type of music. And especially not one or a few bands/artists specifically.
I listen to almost everything, from Light Classic to Opera, from Jazz to Rock and almost everything inbetween.

Except maybe Dubstep, which to me sounds like a bunch of robots barfing while having sex...

Spotify and Sonos FTW. I have a couple of huge playlists (6000+ songs each) which are constantly playing on shuffle in the different rooms.

Generic Pop
Rock/Blues
Metal/Progressive Rock/Alternative Rock
Classical
New Age
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don't Panic!
United Kingdom
Sevenoaks
Kent
flag msg tools
STAG Gamers - The friendliest group in Kent
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gaz Coombes' new album is on the headphones at the moment, well worth a listen, and a real departure from the Supergrass days. I'm also listening to Courtney Barnett, Olafur Arnalds, Max Richter, Hop Along (just got tickets to see them with The Decemberists), the new Jon Hopkins album, Nils Frahm, Julien Baker, Sleep, and I'm really looking forward to the new Wooden Shjips album. Lots of really great stuff out there at the moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter dR
Netherlands
Beverwijk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Several albums are rotating at the moment.
Monster Magnet - Mindfucker
Buffalo Tom - Quiet and peace
Courtney Barnett - Tell me how you really feel
And most of all - Car seat Headrest albums because I am going to their show next week in Amsterdam.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
usurper wrote:

Oh, I always forget it's out. How's it? Love Monster Magnet, I binged on them a month ago

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dejun King
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Coming off of a lengthy relationship with Radio Broadcast icon Paul Harvey, I have recently been on a rap/folk binge consuming mainly:

Rap:
Childish Gambino
Amine
Chance the Rapper

Folk:
Inside Llewyn Davis soundtrack
Brent Cowles
Iron and Wine

But I always ALWAYS make time the for great Randy Newman
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Bartlett
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I grew up in the 90s and love just about any of the non-pop music of that era... All of the music of the 80s as well as that is what my mom was listening to when I was a young child...

My iPod includes artists from Manson to Rodrigo y Gabriella and everything in between. I loved Metallica and Pantera growing up and anything similar to them... Nirvana and the grunge scene was in full swing during my era as well...

But I have to say I mostly listened to Rap and Hip Hop growing up probably the most, I played out the Beastie Boys Licensed to Ill as an elementary schooler in my walkman, as well as Run DMC, Fat Boys, and any other 80's rap artists... A tribe called quest was also great... The 90s was full of great artists as well ranging from Nas to Biggie to 2Pac... I do not listen to much Rap these days, but still enjoy it from time to time listening to the old school... I hate this current rap though, it is awful.... I enjoy some of the artists from the Rymesayers label though.. Aesop Rock is probably my favorite rap artist of all time, he is a genius... Run the Jewels is also great, their albums are online for free for anyone interested...

I got my wife on City and Colour and she really likes him... I enjoy his older stuff... Also I enjoy listening to the Lost Dog Street Band, they have a good old school country sound... I am not a big country fan, but love the old school outlaw sound...

I guess all of us could really go on and on about artists, there are too many good ones out there to name!

Edit: Oh yea, if any of you like rap, you have to check out Eyedea, I love his stuff... I saw abilities in Atlanta a few years ago, I used to go to a lot of shows before having 3 kids back to back! lol. Now I listen to nursery rhymes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ld paulson

Oregon
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dejunking wrote:
Coming off of a lengthy relationship with Radio Broadcast icon Paul Harvey, I have recently been on a rap/folk binge consuming mainly:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bartlett82 wrote:
I enjoy some of the artists from the Rymesayers label though.. Aesop Rock is probably my favorite rap artist of all time, he is a genius...

I was about to mention them when you did.
Favorite new rappers are CunninLynguists, Tonedeff, (early) Grieves, Louis Logic (he's just silly), Slug/Atmosphere, Aesop Rock.

Two questions:
- Ever listened to The Uncluded with Aesop? If not, do!
- Ever heard of this genius called P.O.S. and his Doomtree crew? Do!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Bartlett
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
bartlett82 wrote:
I enjoy some of the artists from the Rymesayers label though.. Aesop Rock is probably my favorite rap artist of all time, he is a genius...

I was about to mention them when you did.
Favorite new rappers are CunninLynguists, Tonedeff, (early) Grieves, Louis Logic (he's just silly), Slug/Atmosphere, Aesop Rock.

Two questions:
- Ever listened to The Uncluded with Aesop? If not, do!
- Ever heard of this genius called P.O.S. and his Doomtree crew? Do!

I will have to check some of these out that I have not listened to before... I have listened to Grieves, and slug.. They are good, but Aesop Rock is freaking amazing, I saw him live back in 2012 and he was just as good as his recordings, which is rare for a rapper...

I have listened to The Uncluded, I really liked it as well... Kimya Dawsons folk sound really mixes well with Aesops laid back rap style... Aesop Rocks newest album "The Impossible Kid" is probably his best yet, every album he puts out you can tell he is maturing as an artist and his sound and writing is more and more polished...

I will def check out P.O.S, I have not heard his stuff..

Also, check out Aesops other duet "Hail Mary Mallon", It has some good tracks on it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter dR
Netherlands
Beverwijk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
usurper wrote:

Oh, I always forget it's out. How's it? Love Monster Magnet, I binged on them a month ago

Although I like all albums they made so far, this is one of their best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerds call me
United States
N Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
dorktron2000 wrote:
Deftones

Leathers heartheartheart

Chino's best scream, hands down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bartlett82 wrote:
I have listened to Grieves, and slug.. They are good, but Aesop Rock is freaking amazing, I saw him live back in 2012 and he was just as good as his recordings, which is rare for a rapper...

You don't say, Tonedeff sounds awful in the few lives I've heard from him, but that's not just rappers, metalheads usually sound bad live too and tend to overdub what they release.

Megadeth has a show in Arsenal that sounds really great. Until you find a non-dubbed version of it where neither Mustaine nor Friedman can play their solos. Which is pretty common unfortunately (The Crown and Metallica have the same problem).
Althought rythm guitar player that play a solo are much better at it than dedicated solo players...
*Keeps on rambling about solo guitar players and their useless stuff and how jazz guitar players should be shot dead and all*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Foulke
United States
Bethel Park
PA
flag msg tools
Welcome to Friedey's!
badge
You want fries with that?
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Although playing it opened my ears to great artists I would never have found otherwise, such as Jaco Pastorius, Marcus Miller, Victor Wooten etc.

Plenty of other jazz bassists to pursue still!

I love anything by Stomu Takeishi, Gary Willis, Bunny Brunel, Carles Benavent, John Patitucci, Christian McBride, Jeff Berlin, Marc Johnson, Ron Carter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
engdy wrote:
Bunny Brunel

I've been trying to remember that name for years! Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Bartlett
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
bartlett82 wrote:
I have listened to Grieves, and slug.. They are good, but Aesop Rock is freaking amazing, I saw him live back in 2012 and he was just as good as his recordings, which is rare for a rapper...

You don't say, Tonedeff sounds awful in the few lives I've heard from him, but that's not just rappers, metalheads usually sound bad live too and tend to overdub what they release.

Megadeth has a show in Arsenal that sounds really great. Until you find a non-dubbed version of it where neither Mustaine nor Friedman can play their solos. Which is pretty common unfortunately (The Crown and Metallica have the same problem).
Althought rythm guitar player that play a solo are much better at it than dedicated solo players...
*Keeps on rambling about solo guitar players and their useless stuff and how jazz guitar players should be shot dead and all*

Yea most of the live shows I have seen were not that great, it just depends on the set up of the Venue... A big ampitheatre is never good I don't think... A local Atlanta radio show in the mid 2000s used to put on a free weekly summer show at underground Atlanta... It was basically a small alley with a stage at the end.. Something about the sound it created was great.. I saw Weezer, Chevelle, Rehab, and a bunch of others play there and the sound was amazing live...

I will have to send you a video I took of Aesop Rock live, but there are others online people have taken.... My wife doesn't like him much when I play it, but we went to the show together and she mentioned how good he was at his job...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shaud
United States
Harleysville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
Shop at GameSurplus.com
badge
Shop at GameSurplus.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a big music fan. I generally go to at least three or four shows a year; either at a local club or at an arena or stadium. I have been a metalhead since the late 80's and Metallica is one of my all-time favorite bands. Some of my other faves: Five Finger Death Punch (although I find their newest stuff disappointing), Shinedown, Godsmack, Disturbed, Papa Roach, Alice in Chains, Stone Sour, Trivium, Korn, Avenged Sevenfold
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerds call me
United States
N Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dlemckert wrote:

Except maybe Dubstep, which to me sounds like a bunch of robots barfing while having sex...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dejun King
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ldpaulson wrote:
dejunking wrote:

I am.... complicated whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [37] |