Subject: What are you listening to? And your overall tastes in music. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dejunking wrote:
...I have recently been on a rap/folk binge...

Give a listen to a group called Gangstagrass. Their music is a unique blend of rap and bluegrass. It's surprisingly good!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
i feel like we're playing tug of war...
badge
...and i'm the rope.
mbmbmb
I've been listening to a lot of Fall of Efrafa lately. Epic doom crust from the UK, made a trilogy of concept albums about Watership Down and then broke up.

One of the best. I pretty much just rotated all three albums yesterday while I played games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris D
Italy
Muggiò
MB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another fellow bass nut here! Expecially of the fretless variety, as one might infer by the nickname...

These last days I'm mainly relistening to the Opeth discography. Unsurprisingly, the first two albums are my favourites (Morningrise in particular... man, DeFarfalla was awesome!), followed by Ghost Reveries.

I like pretty much everything with good bass and drums, so I tend to listen mainly to progressive and jazz/fusion stuff. I really like metal if it has strong prog or jazz influences and interesting rhythm parts - some of my favourite bands ever are in fact Intronaut, Between the Buried and me, Tesseract, Atheist, Cynic...

If you like fusion, Japan has a very good scene that's not very known outside of the country.

I'm always on the look (or, should I say, on the hear?) for cool new music!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
...and i'm the rope.
mbmbmb
Bass nuts should check out Lightning Bolt, if you haven't heard them whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Bartlett
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lucky henry wrote:
dejunking wrote:
...I have recently been on a rap/folk binge...

Give a listen to a group called Gangstagrass. Their music is a unique blend of rap and bluegrass. It's surprisingly good!

Reminds me somewhat of Nappy Roots... Rap group from Kentucky...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kuhns, party of four!
United States
Muncy
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
...the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sort of all over the place. My 2 favorite groups are U2 and Needtobreathe. However, I mostly listen by genre on my ipod. I have a mix that is Irish Traditional, Folk, Classical, and some good movie soundtracks that I call "Classical Cuppa" and is what I listen to most of the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Prebble
United Kingdom
Herne Bay
Coastal Leisure Town
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Clash
The Jam
Kate Bush
B.A.D.
Pete Wylie
Echo and the Bunnymen

Nothing recent really, I seem to be stuck in the '80s
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oda
msg tools
But if it were me, I'd really wanna be, a giant woman.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I listen to just about anything but lately my go-tos have been:

-Early Decemberists stuff (like first few records) though I listen to it all.

-Wiki, NYC hip hop

-Anything from John Zorn's ridiculous catalog, though this is my fav set:

Also been listening to the new Janelle Monae a ton and a Korean band, Hyukoh:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I don't know if it's because I am older or because I have never been cool or whatever, but I don't recognize hardly anything from any of the above posts.

I mostly listen to what used to be called "oldies" (but that label seems to include more recent music these days ), mostly from the 60s and 70s. Also, an eclectic mix of other music, from classical to jazz to other genres I don't know how to label. But no country, rap, very little metal. I don't like loud screamy shouty angry music, nor depressing music.

My current go to short playlist has songs by Billy Joel, Van Morrison, Carla Bruni, Heather Rigdon, Glenn Frey, Peter Gabriel, honeyhoney, the Bangles, Blondie, Annie Lennox, Heart, Robert Palmer, and a few others. I also like the Beatles, the Eagles, Bowie, Queen, and other bands/artists/select songs from around that era.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Bartlett
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
agramore wrote:
Well, I don't know if it's because I am older or because I have never been cool or whatever, but I don't recognize hardly anything from any of the above posts.

I mostly listen to what used to be called "oldies" (but that label seems to include more recent music these days ), mostly from the 60s and 70s. Also, an eclectic mix of other music, from classical to jazz to other genres I don't know how to label. But no country, rap, very little metal. I don't like loud screamy shouty angry music, nor depressing music.

My current go to short playlist has songs by Billy Joel, Van Morrison, Carla Bruni, Heather Rigdon, Glenn Frey, Peter Gabriel, honeyhoney, the Bangles, Blondie, Annie Lennox, Heart, Robert Palmer, and a few others. I also like the Beatles, the Eagles, Bowie, Queen, and other bands/artists/select songs from around that era.

Hey,I still def listen to all of oldies as well! lol. More so as I have gotten older though
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oda
msg tools
But if it were me, I'd really wanna be, a giant woman.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
agramore wrote:

Haha. Well from that era I listen to some Coltrane and Sun Ra, but my fav record is prob this wacky piece:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
123 456
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
emodiu5 wrote:
I've been listening to a lot of Fall of Efrafa lately. Epic doom crust from the UK, made a trilogy of concept albums about Watership Down and then broke up.

One of the best. I pretty much just rotated all three albums yesterday while I played games.

Digging it so far. Thumbing to listen to more later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen Czysz
United States
Falcon
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to Spotify, I listen to a lot of different music. Most of what I listen to now is instrumental rock. I like the lack of vocals when playing games, or when driving or working because it let's me stay focused, think about what I want to be thinking about.

65daysofstatic, Sleepmakeswaves, Toundra, Collapse Under the Empire, etc.

I'll also revert back to my younger days and listen to 70s, 80s, 90s rock:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty "TIRED" Malone
United States
Mansfield
Texas
flag msg tools
Knowledge is light
badge
Be the Change
mbmbmbmbmb
My thumbprint radio on Pandora.

It shuffles between Irish, Bag Pipe, Blues like Keb Mo, Reggae like Mutasmayo, Enya, Pop, and Italian with some Sinatra, plus some folksy stuff like James Taylor and Dougie Maclean.

Summertime I stick to my raggae channel near the pool. Feb and March sees nothing but Irish. Christmas after thanksgiving and thumbprint the rest of the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
...and i'm the rope.
mbmbmb
Narrow Gate Games wrote:

65daysofstatic... Collapse Under the Empire, etc.

Oh man, there's some bands I haven't heard in a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
...and i'm the rope.
mbmbmb
ixitotem wrote:
emodiu5 wrote:

Digging it so far. Thumbing to listen to more later.

Elil is my favorite of the three albums, but they're all great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sgt Pepere
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I listen mostly to punk and metal.

The last bands I've listened to were letlive (The Blackest Beautiful), And So I Watch You From Afar or Pryapisme ...

I tend to go to Bandcamp and check some new bands in the categories I like. Sometimes you have very good surprises ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Comboteur "Crazed 'Beastface' Survivor" Fou
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
kevinruns262 wrote:
I'm a big music fan. I generally go to at least three or four shows a year; either at a local club or at an arena or stadium. I have been a metalhead since the late 80's and Metallica is one of my all-time favorite bands. Some of my other faves: Five Finger Death Punch (although I find their newest stuff disappointing), Shinedown, Godsmack, Disturbed, Papa Roach, Alice in Chains, Stone Sour, Trivium, Korn, Avenged Sevenfold

Ha, I was listening to Papa Roach today too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen Czysz
United States
Falcon
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
emodiu5 wrote:
Narrow Gate Games wrote:

65daysofstatic... Collapse Under the Empire, etc.

Oh man, there's some bands I haven't heard in a while.

That's one of the cool things about Spotify. I discover some cool "new" music I like - September Malevolence was my latest "new" discovery - then see that it's from 2008 or something. Oh well, it's new to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
123 456
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A smattering of favorite bands in no particular order:

Dead Can Dance
The Cure
Neurosis
Enslaved
Death
Skinny Puppy
Unto Ashes
Gorguts
Iron Maiden
Kreator
Nick Cave
Carcass
Cocteau Twins
Depeche Mode

That basically reads like my influences from "looking for musicians" posts and fliers ten+ years ago now that i look at it. More recent stuff that I enjoy but is obviously less formative: Soft Moon, Martyrdod, etc.

Mostly death/black etc metal, industrial, post punk ,etc. I listen to other types of music in spurts but rarely to the point that I would buy the albums. Went through a Zappa phase about ten years ago. I've been listening to a lot of 70s soul on pandora lately (Al Green, etc).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Currently I'm listening to Portico Quartet - Knee-Deep In The North Sea and previously some Dale Cooper.

No_Frets wrote:
Another fellow bass nut here! Expecially of the fretless variety, as one might infer by the nickname...

These last days I'm mainly relistening to the Opeth discography. Unsurprisingly, the first two albums are my favourites (Morningrise in particular... man, DeFarfalla was awesome!), followed by Ghost Reveries.

I like pretty much everything with good bass and drums, so I tend to listen mainly to progressive and jazz/fusion stuff. I really like metal if it has strong prog or jazz influences and interesting rhythm parts - some of my favourite bands ever are in fact Intronaut, Between the Buried and me, Tesseract, Atheist, Cynic...

If you like fusion, Japan has a very good scene that's not very known outside of the country.

I'm always on the look (or, should I say, on the hear?) for cool new music!

Oh! Ah! Pino Palladino? Steve Di Giorgio?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Winning
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I listen to a little bit of everything. Being able to listen to music is one of the perks of working in a kitchen. I like electronic, classic rock, bluegrass, metal, classical, blues, and a whole slew of other kinds of music. There’s too much good music to only listen to one or two kinds for me. The last several artists on my Pandora have been

Lily Allen
Stanton Warriors
Johnny Cash
Dethklok
Cake
Sublime
Deekline and Wizard
MF Doom
Scissor Sisters
Misfits
Big Gigantic
The Cars
Chromeo
Pillowfight
Lovage
Primus
Squirrel Nut Zippers
Danny Brown
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Eastwood
United States
Windham
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Chaos is a ladder
mbmbmbmbmb
kevinruns262 wrote:
I'm a big music fan. I generally go to at least three or four shows a year; either at a local club or at an arena or stadium. I have been a metalhead since the late 80's and Metallica is one of my all-time favorite bands. Some of my other faves: Five Finger Death Punch (although I find their newest stuff disappointing), Shinedown, Godsmack, Disturbed, Papa Roach, Alice in Chains, Stone Sour, Trivium, Korn, Avenged Sevenfold

I listen to everything, but like "the other Kevin", I'm a fan a of metal. I've been to 200+ shows at this point as I used to work in the industry. My next upcoming show is Slayer, Lamb of God, Anthrax, Testament, and Nuclear Assault.

...and potentially Wacken Open Air since I just happen to be in Germany at the same time.

I could talk on this topic for months.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Donutz McGoo wrote:
Dethklok

RIIIIICE!
RIIIIICE!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cartwright
United Kingdom
Spilsby