Popular Tags: [View All]
Jesse
Canada
Clearview
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I forgot to check back in here afterwards, thanks for those Mountain Goats recommendations, I enjoyed them!

Today is guilty pleasure day! Not even though, I genuinely like this album a lot and never understood why these guys got so much hate:

Watching this video now it looks like some proto-Tim & Eric work:

Ask me once I'll answer twice 'cause all I know I'll tell because I wanna!
Sound device and lots of ice, I'll spell my name out loud because I wanna!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse
Canada
Clearview
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
New Eartheater single! *swoon* Sounding like a new album of the year to look forward to:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Comboteur "Crazed 'Beastface' Survivor" Fou
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Not exactly news but I'm on a Rotting Christ guilt-trip and this is my ears right now, and it's great.

I somehow love their older stuff better.

Also, this again.

"Hold on son, there's things to discuss"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse
Canada
Clearview
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I gave this movie a rewatch a couple of nights ago I can't get this out of my head

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Burnsville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Lorenthia is gone, The Shadow Deep has swallowed it whole.
badge
"Like a monkey, ready to be shot into space. Space monkey! Ready to sacrifice himself for the greater good. Without pain, without sacrifice, we would have nothing!" -Tyler Durden
mbmbmbmbmb
That movie is nuts!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frankie Bones
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
boyfights wrote:
My wife and I gave this movie a rewatch a couple of nights ago I can't get this out of my head

Man, some of the best times of my life were spent at The Limelight in NYC. The place was a madhouse of debauchery and insanity and I loved every second of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Squeak 'n' Squawk
United States
flag msg tools
Millet, you say? Where?
badge
A pistachio would be nice.
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Gastonguay
United States
Pottstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Act Three! Everybody Dies!
mbmbmb
This is less about specific music tastes and more about a specific promotion my local radio station does this time of year: Specifically playing their catalogue (well, some of it) in alphabetical order. Makes for some interesting listening.

I started the talk over here: [thread=32854811][/thread]

Here's the latest song list:

3:49 PM How Soon Is Now?—Smiths
3:40 PM How Many More Times—Led Zeppelin
3:37 PM How Did You Love—Shinedown
3:33 PM Houses Of The Holy—Led Zeppelin

Which actually doesn't look much different than what my Spotify playlist would look like anyway.

But then you get hours like this yesterday:
9:30 PM Golden Years—David Bowie
9:24 PM Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight—Beatles
9:14 PM Gold On The Ceiling—Black Keys
9:10 PM Gold Dust Woman—Fleetwood Mac
9:06 PM Going To California—Led Zeppelin
9:03 PM Going To A Go-Go (Live)—Rolling Stones
8:59 PM Goin' Mobile—Who
8:56 PM Goin' Crazy—David Lee Roth
8:46 PM Godzilla—Blue Oyster Cult
8:42 PM God Save The Queen—Sex Pistols
8:39 PM God Part II—U2
8:35 PM God Of Thunder—Kiss
8:30 PM Goblin Girl—Frank Zappa
8:26 PM Go Your Own Way—Fleetwood Mac
8:17 PM Go—Black Keys
8:14 PM Go—Pearl Jam

or:

5:36 PM Getting Away With Murder—Papa Roach
5:33 PM Get Up Stand Up—Bob Marley
5:28 PM Get Up—Shinedown
5:24 PM Get The Funk Out—Extreme
5:13 PM Get Off This—Cracker
5:10 PM Get Off Of My Cloud—Rolling Stones
5:05 PM Get It On (Bang A Gong)—Power Station

Bob Marley into Papa Roach.....someone turned their radio off angrily!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh yeah Fleetwood Mac and Blue Oÿster Cült make me happy Sounds like a nice radio to listen to!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergei V
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I am a heavy metal guy, but last years leaning towards symphonic metals with female vocal. Within Temptation, Xandria, Delain, Doro, Sirenia, Krypteria and many more.
Recently a song from another, hardly known band stuck in my mind and does not go away - The Final Dance from Seeds of Sadness. The words are amazing. I would so much like to know who is this song about as i can’t believe it is a generic one.
https://youtu.be/YkF-C1r51jc
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
verhoven wrote:
I am a heavy metal guy, but last years leaning towards symphonic metals with female vocal. Within Temptation, Xandria, Delain, Doro, Sirenia, Krypteria and many more.

I have refrained from listening to female singers for so many years specifically because of this style
I love female singers in any kind of music but I just cannot stand them as lead singers in metal. As backing vocals or when they're really possessed like in Rotting Christ's Orders From The Dead I love them, but when they're doing their operatic thing, I can only stand the first Diablo Swing Orchestra record.

I like my metal to stand out and be brutal and put you in a trance, that's why I'm into Thrash, Brutal Death and Funeral Doom/Sludge/Stoner

Not to discredit your post of course, you are welcome to post what you like, I'm merely giving my own point of you to stir a discussion!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergei V
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:

Not to discredit your post of course, you are welcome to post what you like, I'm merely giving my own point of you to stir a discussion!

Obviously, no offense taken! For each their own. If all of us had same tastes, life would seem boring, isn’t it?

I have tried doom, death, trash metal with female and male front vocals, but it is too much for me. It is very hard on my ear and does not allow to relax, use it as a background music, but also does not energize for the workout for example. Instead it disturbs and makes me unrest, which is probably its goal.

With female symphonic metal, i am just amazed on the contrast, with strong, metal, power metal, heavy metal, speed metal, melodic metal sounds on one end and so pure and clear, strong in its own way female vocal on another. It is a cappuccino for me in the music world, perfectly goes together
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed the context is different.

Have you tried the softer albums from Swallow the Sun?

Just don't try discs 1 and 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse
Canada
Clearview
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not usually anymore a fan of female metal vocalists than male ones (whistle) but Lingua Ignota/Kristin Hayter is pretty cool:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Arnold
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Female metal singers

How about Maria Brink from In This Moment? Here she is with Rob Halford of Judas Priest in their Black Wedding (yes, you'll hear echos of White Wedding in it!):

Or the fantastic song Oh Lord:

Their whole recent album, Ritual, is great and even includes a smashing cover of In The Air Tonight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergei V
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
jdarnold wrote:

How about Maria Brink from In This Moment? Here she is with Rob Halford of Judas Priest in their Black Wedding (yes, you'll hear echos of White Wedding in it!)

I actually thought of recommending her to Comboteur, but probably it is still too light for him.
While she is too heavy for me )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
verhoven wrote:
jdarnold wrote:

How about Maria Brink from In This Moment? Here she is with Rob Halford of Judas Priest in their Black Wedding (yes, you'll hear echos of White Wedding in it!)

I actually thought of recommending her to Comboteur, but probably it is still too light for him.

I'll take a look someday.

For now my top female singer is Sabina Classen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Arnold
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
verhoven wrote:
jdarnold wrote:

Yeah, you're probably right. She's about the far edge of things for me. So far along there that as much as I'd love to hear them in concert, I'm sure it just wouldn't be for me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse
Canada
Clearview
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't stop listening to Liars this week! I definitely prefer the older stuff but this track from Mess is ruining me:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Whisky Fan
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite Sognametal-Song.
Especially because of the awesome guitar solo in the second half, one of the best I’ve ever heard in a metal song

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Caol_Ila wrote:
My favorite Sognametal-Song.
Especially because of the awesome guitar solo in the second half, one of the best I’ve ever heard in a metal song

It was cool although I didn't notice the solo.

What is sognametal?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Whisky Fan
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Solo begins at 5:58.

Sognametal is a very small and unique type of Norwegian Black / Viking Metal.
The „founders“ are the band Windir (but they didn’t intend to create that „genre“, it was simply their kind of Metal):

Their latest album was titled Sognametal, referring to the region the band came from (Sogndal) and due to the cult around that band the fans of their kind of Metal „declared“ it to a genre of its own.
So, it’s not an official type of Metal, but people loving that Windir-like music know it under that name, Sognametal.

Mistur is probably the most famous successor to Windir.

Another (extremely talented, very young (students)) band performing Sognametal (I already presented here some time ago) is Vindland from France (Paimpol), singing in Original Breton (one of the typical elements of Sognametal is the part beginning at 0:23):

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Caol_Ila wrote:
The Solo begins at 5:58.

Thanks for your post I see now!

I think my favorite emotional metal solos are the final one in

And the final one in

Basically, bends all around laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Whisky Fan
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, very nice, especially that album of The Crown is my favorite one of theirs (as I prefer the new singer).
A true „Boule de démolition“.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Caol_Ila wrote:
Yes, very nice, especially that album of The Crown is my favorite one of theirs (as I prefer the new singer).
A true „Boule de démolition“.

Which one? They've had like 3 and the former one is back in the fold for the almighty Cobra Speed Venom

But yeah, former At The Gates was a great fit for that record (and the rerecorded version is crap).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  31 , 32 , 33 , 34 , 35  Next »  [36] |