[1]  Prev «  32 , 33 , 34 , 35 , 36  Next »  [36] | 

1 Player guild» Forums » General

Subject: What are you listening to? And your overall tastes in music. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Comboteur "Crazed 'Beastface' Survivor" Fou
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
So what do folks think of the new Tool record, Fear Inoculum?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Whisky Fan
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, Tomas Lindberg from At The Gates, he was the best decision.
Must admit he makes this band interesting for me, before I found it rather mediocre.
With him it got aggressive and powerful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Caol_Ila wrote:
Yes, Tomas Lindberg from At The Gates, he was the best decision.
Must admit he makes this band interesting for me, before I found it rather mediocre.
With him it got aggressive and powerful.

It was more of a death and roll band prior to that but I still like their original singer better. This album was a perfect fit for Lindberg but he wouldn't fit on Deathrace King, which is one HELL of a record!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aaron
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
So what do folks think of the new Tool record, Fear Inoculum?

I'd like Tool more if they dumped the vocals...the musicianship is amazing but Maynard just ruins it for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse
Canada
Clearview
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spaceman23 wrote:
I'd like Tool more if they dumped the vocals...the musicianship is amazing but Maynard just ruins it for me.

I keep pressing the thumb button but it's not doing what I want!

I've never understood why people hold Maynard in such high regard, I feel like he has to be one of the more overrated artists out there

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Uh? I find Maynard to be the high point of the band actually, and wish the instrumentals were more varied sometimes. I have nothing about drone but I find that it gets to samey sometimes.
I haven't listened to the record enough times so far but it was an issue for me in 10,000 days and it sounded like it would in FO too.
I still LOVE Vicarious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse
Canada
Clearview
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just my opinion of course! Which is usually worthy of disregard, but especially when it comes to music laugh

I think he's a "good" singer, I guess I just don't find him very interesting. I think I had a friend or two talk him up way too much before I heard them growing up, it's hard to put into words exactly. I'm sure my opinion of his voice is coloured by my opinion of the Maynard it comes out of as well, I used to like the sound of Billy Corgan's voice too whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Russians with pseudo-egyptian influences?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Whisky Fan
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not, it’s like Finns with pseudo-japanese influences^^

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Caol_Ila wrote:
Why not, it’s like Finns with pseudo-japanese influences^^

They do it better than Trivium
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arvid
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes I don't listen to Grace Jones

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse
Canada
Clearview
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
414448 wrote:

(same but Eartheater )

I've had a hard time getting into Swans for some reason, I actually kind of prefer the Angels of Light stuff. I love that cover art though, this one too:

His cover of Under Pressure with Xiu Xiu is great too and probably the only one worth listening to:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arvid
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
boyfights wrote:
414448 wrote:

(same but Eartheater )

I've had a hard time getting into Swans for some reason, I actually kind of prefer the Angels of Light stuff. I love that cover art though, this one too: . . .

Thnks for sharing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aaron
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my favorite Gira/Swans songs:

Became one of my favorite covers (from an AMAZING album of covers):

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse
Canada
Clearview
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spaceman23 wrote:
One of my favorite Gira/Swans songs:

Became one of my favorite covers (from an AMAZING album of covers):

Those are both gorgeous, thank you! I didn't know Nadja were local, I knew of them but hadn't really checked them out. That's another impressive discography, is the covers album an okay place to start?

In Teebs news there is a new Teebs song! I can do without the Animal Collective guy but I'll take what I can get!

His beats are too pretty to ruin with vocals:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Taylor
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Giving what may be my all time favorite album yet another play through:

It was amazing the first time I listened to it, and it's amazing now. And to think it'll be 28 years old next week.

Colin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aaron
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
boyfights wrote:
Those are both gorgeous, thank you! I didn't know Nadja were local, I knew of them but hadn't really checked them out. That's another impressive discography, is the covers album an okay place to start?

I only know that album...so...yes? It's a perfect album for me between the song choices and the style. I basically stopped looking for more as I figured I'd just be disappointed...

laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judgement Dave
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tonight, after many other tracks, I've returned to a longtime favourite mine 'The Hanging Key' by 1990's Vancouver (?) industrial band Numb. It's a haunting track that I love, but still don't know what it's about.

It was good to see Swans turning up recently. Love their work, and the spinoff World of Skin. I must admit I do like their country-ish cover of Can't Find My Way Home (originally by Stevie Winwood? if memory serves).

Whilst doing this post I remembered another haunting track that I bloody love. I happened across the band's demo tape cheap in a 2nd hand record store in the very early 90s (I was a student then, the 2nd hand and reduced spots in the music shop were regular destinations, along with the goth/industrial/experimental) and loved this track.

I think that that vid is close to the demo version. But I can't be sure as the released versions did differ.

I bought their album mainly on the strength of that 1 track on the demo. But the album version lost a lot for me. It was still a decent track, but, in my mind, the greater instrumentation is vastly inferior to the more minimal demo.

Here's the album track for comparison. I'm sure many will hate both and the rest may be split about which version is best, but, trust me, the more minimal one is superior

Off now to listen to some Cranes from Wings of Joy... A similar vein, and I must say that one of the best gigs I ever went to was Cranes at Manchester students union (don't think they called the small rooms Academy back then) when it just felt so intimate it was like Alison was singing to you and you alone... And mrs JD agrees with me on that.

Love Cranes first 3 albums. The first, Wings of Joy, has less clear vocals, and I've always likened the vocals to the sound the soul of an abused child's ghost may make - you can't tell what she's singing, but, by god, it's laden with emotion...

But alongside the quieter, disconcerting tracks, the 1st album also has Starblood.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aaron
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JudgementDave wrote:
Tonight, after many other tracks, I've returned to a longtime favourite mine 'The Hanging Key' by 1990's Vancouver (?) industrial band Numb.

The Skinny Puppy vibes are string with this one. I like it.

JudgementDave wrote:
I must say that one of the best gigs I ever went to was Cranes at Manchester students union (don't think they called the small rooms Academy back then) when it just felt so intimate it was like Alison was singing to you and you alone...

Set list from the show I saw in 1997 (I think it was Jim's set list and he obviously had some fun with the song titles)...pretty small venue. I remember the stage being low. I think Rasputina opened.

This was the Population 4 tour so heavy on that album (which was fine but not great). It was still a good show with a couple of my favorites on the list.

And for fun, a few of my favorite themes from movies:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arvid
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DMM record. Sounds amazing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse
Canada
Clearview
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JudgementDave wrote:
Cranes - Starblood

This is really cool, cheers! I'll be looking into them some more

spaceman23 wrote:
I think Rasputina opened.

Haha oh wow, there's a name I haven't heard in forever!

I'm not sure another theme song will ever top this for me:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse
Canada
Clearview
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm on a Dean Blunt kick again cool

This was the song that first caught my attention, most of his earlier work under the Hype Williams name didn't really click with me at first although I like all of his stuff now. It took me a minute to realize where the lyrics were from and my reaction went from "hahaha what the hell" to being blown away that it was actually moving me a little bit! The computer voice gives it a sense of aching desperation that the original is frankly lacking laugh

His album under Dean Blunt "The Narcissist II" was the one that really hooked me though. Spacey, ethereal, super dark R&B-tinged stuff, the whole album is incredible:

A lot of the "Dean Blunt" stuff has sort of a similar sound, but there are lots of outliers and his work is pretty diverse! This is a standout from "Black Metal":

He's put out releases under a few other names but the biggest one is his hiphop project Babyfather. This is probably my favourite video on Youtube cool

Happy Sunday Bluntday!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse
Canada
Clearview
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Choo choo, Badsongs Express coming through!
thumbsdownwhistleredtrainredtrainredtrain

Wikipedia wrote:
Elysia Chuquimia Paula Crampton is an Amerindian Aymara electronic musician, producer, poet and composer. Her work touches upon themes of Aymara survival and Latinx culture, TLGB and its Aymara femme heritage, science fiction, references to Christian faith and ontology, and frequent utilization of samples and arrangements from varying sources.

and she's here to make you like Foo Fighters and Bieber, beware nad enjoy the powerful curse!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Lee
msg tools
new user
mb
Been listening to cyberpunk playlists for awhile. Here is one that caught my ear today.
Owl Vision - Zepulchre

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Enjoying some Souljazz Orchestra currently:

A very good rendition of the overall Amazon situation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  32 , 33 , 34 , 35 , 36  Next »  [36] |