Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robb Rouse

Virginia
msg tools
badge
Blue Peg, Pink Peg Gaming Podcast
mbmbmbmbmb
How did my trivia tie into or obscurely link to the episode?

What is a more creative/better link from my trivia to the episode?

Rules for contest are found here:
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1964373/season-2-trivia...

Good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Brown
United Kingdom
Coulsdon
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While there is a persistent folk belief that the Ancient Romans (of which Trajan was an Emperor) ate hummingbird tongues, hummingbirds are found only in the New World, thus debunking the theory. However, the Romans did eat all kinds of things, including roasted stuffed dormice, Flamingo tongues, and giraffes, but hummingbird tongues were definitely not on the menu.

But getting back to the matter at hand, I think there is a far more simple answer: Trajan and Hummingbird are both fonts.

Trajan

Hummingbird
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Selander
United States
Ooltewah
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Patrick humming like a hummingbird through his play of Trajan. (Unless that's a red herring! )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Smith
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The completely UNOBSCURE link was the story about Patrick humming during a game and the trivia was about humming birds.

So...that can't be it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Vannoy
United States
Shreve
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grithog wrote:
Patrick humming like a hummingbird through his play of Trajan. (Unless that's a red herring! )

That was my thought too so I will go with my other thought. I believe the true clue was Josh saying that Praying Mantis eat hummingbirds is the true clue which relates to Darwin's Choice and that discussion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Selander
United States
Ooltewah
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Normally, I wouldn't divulge this kind of information, but the trivia contest calls for it.

Robb actually has a "shower beer buddy," a lady he knows only as "Hummingbird" (you can see why).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Bennett
United States
Sturgeon Bay
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mb
You mentioned hummybirds great memory and you are giving away a memory game at orgins
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McCallen
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hummingbird has 2 parts and 2 answers.
Humming was a reference to Patrick during Trajan (as already mentioned).
Bird was a reference to the episode number via the commercial which I think of every time I hear these 3 numbers together. Episode one twoooooo three.

(I had to edit this because I'm bad at links.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam M
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
Direct connection: Patrick’s humming!

Possibly unintended connection: With all the discussion of shower beers, I should point out that hummingbirds LOVE beer! Put it in your feeder and they will drink and drink and drink. However, I have to dispute the point that they have a five-to-ten-year lifespan based on the number of dead hummingbirds that show up on my porch...wait...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conrad Ratchford
United States
Chattanooga
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Although Patrick was humming like a hummingbird, he couldn't remember that he was humming. Robb pointed out that Hummingbirds have excellent memory...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Rademaker
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hummingbirds do not necessarily sleep, but go into a hibernation process called "torpor." In this state, the hummingbird's body shuts down bodily functions and get down to using 1/15th the energy that's used during waking hours. Their heart rate goes down to 50 beats per minute and their body cools down with their surroundings, even on the verge of hypothermia. This happens whether the hummingbird is in the wild or if it is being cared for in a contained sanctuary room. Once they wake back up, hummingbirds will eat 25% of its daily intake directly after recovery from waking.

Recovering from torpor takes anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour, which is what sets them apart from the Caesar Trajan, who is dead and won't be recovering from that. But regardless, both hummingbirds and Trajan have assumed room temperature.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kissell
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hummingbirds have as strong of a connection with the episode as Trajan has with its theme?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Berent
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The first non-Roman Emperor, Trajan, rose through the ranks of the army, serving in places like Syria and Germany. Stefan Feld is from Germany, the designer of Trajan.

The conclusion of the Dacian Wars marked a triumph for Rome and its armies. Trajan announced 123 days of celebrations throughout the Empire.

This was episode 123.

AND...

Trajan’s memory remained in Rome for generations to follow, primarily due to two gifts he gave the city - the Forum of Trajan and Trajan’s Column. Hummingbird's have great memories, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Murphy
United States
norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mb
It was mentioned that hummingbirds have incredible memories and can recall many details, unlike the group that while playing trajan they have to set reminders of who's turn and what was done on a turn due to the fact that their brains are smaller relatively to their body size.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McCallen
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I had to do some research here. 3 of the important characteristics of humming birds (as defined by my kid) are their odd beaks, their coloration, and their weird flight. Let’s take these in order.

1: Hummingbird beaks. While they also eat bugs for nutrients, the long beaks are for nectar. Nectar breaks down to sugar which gives the hummingbirds energy. They need this energy because they have the highest metabolism of any non-insect. During flight their oxygen consumption per gram of muscle tissue is more than 10 times higher than the best humans. Compared to hummingbirds, humans are very inefficient. Another way humans are inefficient is that we waste food. The average human in Europe or North America wastes 95-115kg of food per year. In the US alone, this accounts for about $680-billion. One unique method of limiting food waste is employed at the Hachikyo restaurant in Japan. Here they offer reasonably priced food with good portions but will issue fines for even a grain of rice left on the plate. Other oddities of this restaurant include revoking your portion of their signature Salmon Roe if you touch your rice before the roe is served and demanding patrons sing back the old fishing song the staff sing as the meal is served. If you’re interested, look for the Miyako building in Sapporo. This building is named after the Miyako District in Okinawa. While this district includes a chain of islands, as its villages increase in population, they become cities on their own and leave the district municipality. Currently the district includes only one village, Tarama.

2: Hummingbird coloration. Many hummingbirds appear colorful despite not having colorful pigments. The light reflects off different points in the air bubbles in their feathers resulting in some wavelengths cancelling and some amplifying. This gives them their iridescent look which attracts the attention of hummingbird mates, my kid, and hummingbird-predators. This vibrant show of colors can hinder their lifespans. The common term for showing off while on a still-in-progress competition (or in the hummingbird example, life) is “showboating.” While showboating can both help (see The Rumble in the Jungle) or hurt (see the 1957 Kentucky Derby), many consider it poor sportsmanship. The term originated from steamboats which would bring actual shows to cities. As automobiles and motion pictures became more common, these boats had to become more elaborate and spectacular to draw in the crowds. These paddleboats are the namesake for a team in the American Basketball Association: the Showboats from Jackson, Mississippi.

3: Hummingbird flight. Hummingbirds’ unique flight is based on their wing movement. Their flight is more like a helicopter beating the wind, expending lots of energy, and given more mobility than many bird’s gliding approach which is similar to airplanes. The earliest airplanes used grass fields for take off and landings pilots quickly realized they wanted a better solution and the first airports showed up less than a decade later (the first airport is debated, but we can safely say by 1909). Initially pilots used the National Weather Service’s two letter code for the city they were going to. Unfortunately, this code only allowed for 676 airports world wide and only 1 per city. This is why the IATA airport code was created, which increased the number of letters to 3. Old, well known 2-letter codes had an X added to the end (LAX, PDX, or PHX) while newer airports were just given 3 letter codes (CMH is Columbus for anyone who is really procrastinating getting a ticket to Origins).

Spoiler (click to reveal)
1 = Tarama, Miyako District, Okinawa Prefecture, Japan
2 = Jackson, Mississippi, United States of America
3 = Airport codes. Tarama = TRA and Jackson = JAN
TRAJAN

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vorpal Greatsword
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You would think that the trivia link is Patrick humming as he slowly descends into madness, but it is not! Its really that Christina enjoys a particular beer in the shower which happens to be Hummin' Bird Lager from Red Oak Brewery in North Carolina!

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/2951/8824/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Rouse

Virginia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sorry delayed for the long weekend, winners picked tomorrow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Rouse

Virginia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We got points!

First up Eric, gets the correct answer. Hummingbird birds tie into Patrick humming like a crazy person during one of our plays of Trajan.

grithog wrote:

Christina was picking this week, and she enjoyed this interesting link.

Mooses05 wrote:
Well, I had to do some research here. 3 of the important characteristics of humming birds (as defined by my kid) are their odd beaks, their coloration, and their weird flight. Let’s take these in order.

1: Hummingbird beaks. While they also eat bugs for nutrients, the long beaks are for nectar. Nectar breaks down to sugar which gives the hummingbirds energy. They need this energy because they have the highest metabolism of any non-insect. During flight their oxygen consumption per gram of muscle tissue is more than 10 times higher than the best humans. Compared to hummingbirds, humans are very inefficient. Another way humans are inefficient is that we waste food. The average human in Europe or North America wastes 95-115kg of food per year. In the US alone, this accounts for about $680-billion. One unique method of limiting food waste is employed at the Hachikyo restaurant in Japan. Here they offer reasonably priced food with good portions but will issue fines for even a grain of rice left on the plate. Other oddities of this restaurant include revoking your portion of their signature Salmon Roe if you touch your rice before the roe is served and demanding patrons sing back the old fishing song the staff sing as the meal is served. If you’re interested, look for the Miyako building in Sapporo. This building is named after the Miyako District in Okinawa. While this district includes a chain of islands, as its villages increase in population, they become cities on their own and leave the district municipality. Currently the district includes only one village, Tarama.

2: Hummingbird coloration. Many hummingbirds appear colorful despite not having colorful pigments. The light reflects off different points in the air bubbles in their feathers resulting in some wavelengths cancelling and some amplifying. This gives them their iridescent look which attracts the attention of hummingbird mates, my kid, and hummingbird-predators. This vibrant show of colors can hinder their lifespans. The common term for showing off while on a still-in-progress competition (or in the hummingbird example, life) is “showboating.” While showboating can both help (see The Rumble in the Jungle) or hurt (see the 1957 Kentucky Derby), many consider it poor sportsmanship. The term originated from steamboats which would bring actual shows to cities. As automobiles and motion pictures became more common, these boats had to become more elaborate and spectacular to draw in the crowds. These paddleboats are the namesake for a team in the American Basketball Association: the Showboats from Jackson, Mississippi.

3: Hummingbird flight. Hummingbirds’ unique flight is based on their wing movement. Their flight is more like a helicopter beating the wind, expending lots of energy, and given more mobility than many bird’s gliding approach which is similar to airplanes. The earliest airplanes used grass fields for take off and landings pilots quickly realized they wanted a better solution and the first airports showed up less than a decade later (the first airport is debated, but we can safely say by 1909). Initially pilots used the National Weather Service’s two letter code for the city they were going to. Unfortunately, this code only allowed for 676 airports world wide and only 1 per city. This is why the IATA airport code was created, which increased the number of letters to 3. Old, well known 2-letter codes had an X added to the end (LAX, PDX, or PHX) while newer airports were just given 3 letter codes (CMH is Columbus for anyone who is really procrastinating getting a ticket to Origins).

Spoiler (click to reveal)
1 = Tarama, Miyako District, Okinawa Prefecture, Japan
2 = Jackson, Mississippi, United States of America
3 = Airport codes. Tarama = TRA and Jackson = JAN
TRAJAN

Congrats all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls