France
Paris (10ème) et Normandie (Flers)
Australian nationality
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SBGrad wrote:
ltmurnau wrote:

Interestingly, I tried to do the same thing with Colonial Twilight: The French-Algerian War, 1954-62 - so far it hasn`t excited any protests or condemnation in France, where one might have expected a reaction... if Americans had been involved in the Algerian War it would have been markedly different I'm sure.
As it is, a leading reaction I've had from American players is that until my game came along, they didn't even know there had been such a war, let alone its theoretical contribution to the doctrine the USA tried to apply in Iraq and Afghanistan....

Brian
Clearly, none of those people ever saw the film, Battle of Algiers!

Not to mention Général Marcel Bigeard coming up with the concept of deep helicopter insertion of troops in Indochina and Algeria which is described in his book Contre guérilla, 1957, if I'm not mistaken. As far as I understand, it was this that prompted the US to take similar doctrines further in Vietnam.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Oh yes, I understand that was an influence for Cole. I was just expressing my personal feeling that the resulting game does not actually scratch the same itch for me, although they are both great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goulette
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
wamsp wrote:
Oh yes, I understand that was an influence for Cole. I was just expressing my personal feeling that the resulting game does not actually scratch the same itch for me, although they are both great.
Good to know. I have played a bunch of coin games. I have never played root but I want to try it once it is out. I have game group friends that would likely try the game because of the theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  |