John Kanost
United States
York
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
OH YEAH
mbmbmbmbmb
To introduce my question this week, I shall tell you a story.

I learned to play Magic: The Gathering in 2008. This was only a few years after being introduced to modern hobby gaming with my first play of Settlers of Catan in 2005. In 2010, I attended my first local gaming convention, and began to learn that there was more to the hobby than a couple fun games. I tried and then started adding other titles to our family collection. This local con became a biannual event in the summer of 2011, and I invited the friend who taught me Magic, and who I still played regularly with, to join me.

He came, and half-heartedly learned and played a game of Dominion with me, and maybe another random game or two, but afterwards, when I asked him if he had fun, he said, "well, I really just wanted to play Magic." I've since invited him over on more than one occasion to play games, and offered to bring games to his house to play, but unless MTG is on the agenda, he's not interested.

Have you ever known someone like this? Someone who has just ONE game they love, and isn't really interested in trying anything else? Have any of you ever been that person? If so, how did that change? How did you, or someone you know who was "stuck in a gaming rut", so to speak, get convinced to try something new?

While you ponder that, don't forget to tell everyone what the Pegheads really want to know!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes! Met some dear friends about a year ago and quickly learned that they loved Catan so I knew this was a perfect fit because I have new gaming friends! Played a couple games of Catan with these friends and then have since tried Charterstone, Lords of Waterdeep, Orleans, Five Tribes (tonight), and Castles of Burgundy. After every game they tell me they didn’t like the game because (x reason that it isn’t Catan).

Drives me crazy but I’m going to keep trying!

This week I’ve played Orleans, Lords of Waterdeep, Five Tribes, Codenames, Station Master, Baronpark, Century: Spice Road, and Star Realms (iPhone app). It was a good week for games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
John,

Fun fact...I learned how to play Magic: The Gathering last month while visiting my daughter in Savannah, GA. I had see the game played, but had no interest in learning it. I had the time and a very friendly (and not to mention attractive) patron who had been playing several rounds with others and she showed me how to play, provided me with deck of my own, described the strategy, and off we went into my first foray into the game. The game lasted about 10 min as I had nothing but "lands" in my hand and lost catastrophically, having only picked off a few hit points from her. I was left with a general sense of ennui about the whole experience and glad that I hadn't played it before, nor do I see myself returning to it...ever

Anyway, my daughter is home with me for a week and we'll get quite a few games into the mix (and we've already started if you want to check out the Update I posted to last week's thread), including a game of RISK which we started a few months ago, 1775, Orient Express, among others.

Cheers,
Joe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Klipfel
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting question. I have been working on a close friend of mine to try and get him to play games outside of Magic: The Gathering. I have bought him and his family games the last 3 years for X-Mas. Yet I have never seen the games around their house and they never say anything about having played them.

When inviting them over to play games, there only seems to be interest if its to play Magic: The Gathering.

This X-Mas I am just getting them a booster box.

I have been enjoying how quickly Azul and Sagrada are to set up and play. Whatever itch these 2 games scratch, I was missing that in my collection.

Very excited to getTournament at Camelot played. I've read through the rules and watched a couple videos. Hope the game does not confuse my father with the special powers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
La Grange
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't been in that kind of rut, but I certainly go through waves of playing and not playing Netrunner a lot. But I'm always playing other things too.

This week, I'm sure we'll see some gaming done, but I have no idea what kind or how much it will be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sexton
United States
Silver Lake
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm working off my Shadespire hang over from the weekend.

At library game day, I was able to get in games of Dice Forge (meh) and Lunarchitects (solid thumbs up).

This week I should be able to get in more games of Dungeon Alliance, Import/Export, and MAYBE Champions of Midgard.

I've also been mapping my way through the first CYOA graphic novel from Van Rider Games, Captive. Its pretty difficult thanks to my drive to explore every nook and cranny. While I am mapping out that book, I'm also reading the Sherlock Holmes adventure they released. So far, I'm having a better time with it.

This weekend my son and I are signed up for a Star Wars Destiny Draft tournament. That should be fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
An interesting question, John! I don't know any one person who only ever wants to play ONE game, but one of the game groups I attend occasionally does have a group within it that plays Secret Hitler EVERY week, without fail. They'll play 3, 4, maybe 5 times in a row, too. They often then split off and some play other stuff, but some of them just go home after that. I think, after about 6 months of them doing this now, they've probably got the meta-game down so much that for other people to join that specific group to play that specific game may be pretty difficult. I'm not sure I like that kind of cliquiness, but it's an unintentional clique so not sure how we'd go about mixing things up a bit.

And hey, if they're enjoying themselves, fair play to them. Nothing wrong with that (though I don't think *I* could personally play Secret Hitler quite that many times, that often).

This week: Game night on Wednesday, which will be post-UKGE-acquisition gaming, most likely! We've not planned to play any specific games, so I think it'll be a "what did people buy and what looks fun to try" kind of evening. Saying that, I'd still really like to try getting Nations: The Dice Game or World's Fair 1893 to the table with the group as I've *still* yet to play those with anyone except my kids. And I know a friend bought a copy of 5 Minute Chase at the expo, so I'm keen to try that [especially as it's only 5 minutes long!].

The rest of the week, it'll be playtesting more things: Trickerion: Academy is top of the priority at the moment, testing the solo mode. Then there's some top-secret stuff I working on too with a publisher. And then... I might just get a moment to learn Anachrony and give it a try!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ackerman
United States
Fairless Hills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
The War Against Giygas!
badge
You cannot grasp the true form of Giygas' attack!
mbmbmbmbmb
There was probably a good 5 year span of time for me when I mostly played Magic: The Gathering, Dungeons & Dragons: Miniatures, and World of Warcraft (the video game on PC). I played very little else, if anything at all, during that MMO craze.

Magic still pops up among my board game friends from time to time, but we’re still exploring any and all games these days. I bounce between board gaming, PC gaming, and the Nintendo Switch pretty evenly as well.

As far as this week is concerned, I’m getting Renegade in the mail today, so that’s my priority for the week.

Also, I had a lot of fun playing the open beta for Mario Tennis Aces this weekend. The servers were pretty garbage, but the game was fun enough that I kept wanting to play in spite of the horrible lag. Hopefully, that gets cleared up for the actual release later this month.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meghan Naxer
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got back from a conference on Sunday night, so last night was the first time I got to enjoy our brand new game topper!!! We got started pretty late and we were both tired, so we got a couple light games out. We started with Kanagawa so we could enjoy the playmat and finally be able to slide the cards into our player area easily. And it was amazing!!! Next we wanted to chuck lots of dice, so we got out Pandemic: The Cure, put it on the heroic setting, and lost pretty quickly. (We only ever rolled 2 CDC dice!) It was a short but great game night. Looking forward to more!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Grants Pass
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have one friend that plays Warhammer. I invite him to game days, but he never comes...unless we play Axis and Allies (which we have done twice so far). Man, there are a million games he would love, but it's either Warhammer or Axis and Allies. Oh well.

This week will include Gloomhaven on Friday and Warhammer Saturday. I'll be busy painting minis the rest of the week. Sunday I leave on a work related trip for a week. I'm trying to plan what I can take with me that's hobby related. I don't want to pack a bunch of stuff that will get smashed on a plane...but I don't want to travel empty handed. Maybe just some rule books? I dunno. I have some time to think about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Nye
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
A great question but something that has never really happened to me or ever comes up in are small 6-8 person game group. Most of use have really only been into board gaming 4-5 years and we all like to try a different game after awhile. Not saying that if a game is a hit with the group it won't come out most every get together for half a year. But if someone brings a different game everyone wants to give it a try and normally after awhile the favorite is unseated by another.

Only game that will probable make it to table this week is Galaxy Trucker. Bought it last weekend and got in three plays with the girlfriend on Sunday, her winning every time cry. Instant hit for both of us and can't wait to play again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynn
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's an interesting question you have for us this week. I don't know anyone who only wants to play one game. It got me thinking that I do have some friends for whom almost the opposite is true. If we get together and play a new game, it is extremely likely that they'll end up buying a copy for themselves. (It started years ago with 7 Wonders and the list of games also includes The Voyages of Marco Polo, Istanbul, Kingdomino, and most recently Honshu.) I guess that means I choose well, but it also now puts pressure on me to ensure that I'm picking wisely!

We started the week with a learning game of Nusfjord which made me happy. I'd had the game on pre-order forever, and I'm happy to say that my husband and I enjoy it. We're looking forward to more of this.

Yesterday (or actually, very early this morning) I played Saint Petersburg. This is a game I really enjoy, but it's more enjoyable with 3-4 players and I rarely can play with more than 2.

I'm hoping to get Gaia Project played soon, but realistically that won't happen until next week since we've got family coming to town for a visit. Maybe I can convince my son to play some Dominion while he's around for the weekend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
La Grange
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
This week at Toggle Gaming, my design partner and I brought our daughters, so I ended up playing lighter fare with them. Had a fun game of Bunny Kingdom and a game of Mountains of Madness after which we discovered that I'd missed an essential rule as I learned the game that makes it much harder than I'd originally thought. Oops.

Then I got to try Deception: Murder in Hong Kong, which was fun, but not as fun as I would have liked because the bar was too noisy for me to hear well.

Overall, a good time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Klipfel
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cuteusagi wrote:
I just got back from a conference on Sunday night, so last night was the first time I got to enjoy our brand new game topper!!! We got started pretty late and we were both tired, so we got a couple light games out. We started with Kanagawa so we could enjoy the playmat and finally be able to slide the cards into our player area easily. And it was amazing!!! Next we wanted to chuck lots of dice, so we got out Pandemic: The Cure, put it on the heroic setting, and lost pretty quickly. (We only ever rolled 2 CDC dice!) It was a short but great game night. Looking forward to more!

Interested to know your thoughts on Kanagawa . What gets it back to the table for you? What do you enjoy about it? Is there a player count where you feel it plays best at?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meghan Naxer
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Windship2Mars wrote:
cuteusagi wrote:

Interested to know your thoughts on Kanagawa . What gets it back to the table for you? What do you enjoy about it? Is there a player count where you feel it plays best at?

The fact that the game is gorgeous certainly doesn't hurt it! I really like the drafting and push-your-luck that comes with both deciding when to take cards and when to take diplomas. I think it's a little too slow with 4, best at 3, and not bad at 2 for a fast, weeknight game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Stearns
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Finished Pandemic Legacy: Season 2 last night and headed into the dungeon tonight to explore more of Gloomhaven. Pandemic Season 2 was interesting but a lot harder than Season 1.

I'm semi on vacation from now through Origins. My Mom is visiting so we may get in some games this week. A couple friends are coming over tomorrow night for games, and then my group's monthly 'take Friday afternoon off and play games at a brewery' is on Friday. (we need a better name for this...)

So excited for Origins next week!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Stevenson

Apex
North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jstearns78 wrote:
......and then my group's monthly 'take Friday afternoon off and play games at a brewery' is on Friday. (we need a better name for this...)

Haaaaaaa, yes we do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kanost
United States
York
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
OH YEAH
mbmbmbmbmb
I hoped to be able to report more gaming but thus far this week has been rather dry. We played Lords of Xidit on Monday evening, and that was the only game we played. I got Celestia out to teach the rules, but we ran out of time and couldn't actually play it.

Today is my youngest son's 14th birthday, so perhaps he will want to play a game this evening. Friday night gaming is always a possibility too. Saturday a friend is hosting a game day at his house to put his new Game Toppers to use, but he lives waaaaay out in Lititz, nearly 50 minutes' drive from where I live. Hopefully I can talk the boys into going.

Sunday I pack for ORIGINS (because I don't want to miss Monday night gaming next week!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A great games night last night for me. Post UKGE games were out in force, but some old classics came out too.

My table started with Dice Fishing: Roll and Catch, a cute little push-your-luck dice game where you all play "competitive dice fishermen", which one of the guys had won at Paul Grogan's charity auction at UKGE. Fun and quirky.

We moved on to Nations: The Dice Game – Unrest, with 3 players, which went well. I didn't win alas, but this was the first outing of my copy of the game which I got to play in since buying it last year!

Next up was Azul, my first play, FINALLY getting to try it. Ok, ok, I see what people are excited about - it's a great design with some great decision space for such simple mechanics. Not sure it warrants quite the level of hype it has, but I'd be happy to play it again [but feel no need to own it].

Finally we played 3 rounds of 5 Minute Chase, which one of the players had bought at UKGE after having a demo playthrough of it. What a great little game; considering it does literally take 5 minutes to play a round (the time pressure is entirely inflicted by the players playing simultaneously - there's no timer), it's a really fun intense filler game. We played with 3 players, so each player got a turn being the cops with the other two playing the escaped robbers. Great fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Klipfel
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cuteusagi wrote:
Windship2Mars wrote:
cuteusagi wrote:

The fact that the game is gorgeous certainly doesn't hurt it! I really like the drafting and push-your-luck that comes with both deciding when to take cards and when to take diplomas. I think it's a little too slow with 4, best at 3, and not bad at 2 for a fast, weeknight game.

I have only played it with 2 player. However I wonder if I am playing something wrong. I found the drafting to lack depth and challenge, I thought maybe it was just an issue at 2 player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We managed to get in a couple of plays of Codenames, as well as New York 1901. Both are great games that you should give a chance if you haven't tried them yet.

Wanted to finally try my wife's copy of Bob Ross: The Art of Chill, but we had never played and the rules were not read beforehand (yes, basically, I pulled a Tony). So even though it's a simple game and wouldn't have been hard to learn, I have impatient in-laws and we ended up packing the game back up. Maybe soon...

In the words of Bob, "Have a great day, and God bless, my friends".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j s
United States
washington
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grishny wrote:
How did you, or someone you know who was "stuck in a gaming rut", so to speak, get convinced to try something new?

One of the things I love about the community here on the geek is how passionate people are about trying new games. But I think that often one's greatest weakness is their greatest strength taken to far.

So I would just play some magic with him.

As to what I have been playing and plan to play. My wife and I have played some okey-dokey, and Century golem. I would love to get some sidereal, blood rage, or rune age played this weekend but we shall see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynn
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grishny wrote:
Saturday a friend is hosting a game day at his house to put his new Game Toppers to use, but he lives waaaaay out in Lititz, nearly 50 minutes' drive from where I live. Hopefully I can talk the boys into going.

It might help convince your boys to go along if you include a stop at Wilbur Chocolate. (It's where I like to go in Lititz!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night at the Irish Pub, where I host a weekly board game Meet-Up, we played Betrayal at the House on the Hill, Mysterium, and Sagrada!

Great food, great people, great games!

Cheers,
Joe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sexton
United States
Silver Lake
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesterday I finished both Captive and the Sherlock Holmes CYOA Graphic Novels from Van Rider Games.

Captive is kinda broken for older gamers who lack the ability to spot ultra tiny print (you will miss one SUPER ULTRA IMPORTANT ITEM). It doesn't help that much of the game is spent navigating hallways and rooms that you can't map out in your head because they are so forgettable. In a good CYOA book, you can sorta keep your paths straight because the author goes out of their way to give each room character. Newer books like the Destiny Quest books feel far more like cinematic experiences. Worst of all, to get the "happy" ending, you'll need to min-max a route through the game (which can only be done if you map the book out). There is pretty much 0 chance you can dumb luck your way through and get the best ending.

Sherlock Holmes is skewed a bit goofy, and is NOT a serious take on the source material. There are also quite a few jumps in logic that make Consulting Detective look like a walk in the park. I have no clue how 2 of the cases could have been reasonably solved by a normal human being. It all felt a bit cheaty. That said, I did enjoy the Amnesiac story quite a bit and it is rather clever.

My impression so far is that these books are cool, but ultimately inferior to modern game books (like Destiny Quest) and are arguably weaker then even the classic 80's books (like Crypt of the Vampire). That said, I'm pretty happy not to have rolled any dice, and I'm eager to try out the next book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |