Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Post-weekend update!

Saturday: Finally got to play Kingdomino with the kids. They LOVED it. It helped that I was also using the new Dized app on my phone (got into the app's pre-release thanks to seeing the Dized guys at UKGE), and that did all the rules teaching in a really great and fun way, and also did all the scoring too. Superb app. And lovely game. I played it at 2, 3 and 4 players, with my 11yo, 9yo and 7yo, and they all really liked it. A big thumbs up for that game!

That lunchtime, I broke out Trickerion: Legends of Illusion to do more playtesting on the Trickerion: Dahlgaard's Academy expansion's solo mode. I played on Easy again, me not being very good at the game, and managed to JUST beat the AI, by a mere 6 points (153 to 147, so very close). Sweet! REALLY like the bits the expansion adds, although the complexity of decision on the player is obviously increased by a good 20% I'd say with the Academy bits in too AND working out how best to work around the AI's priorities to best it wherever possible. Great stuff.

And in the evening, I finally got Anachrony to the table (or, more precisely, to the floor, as it wouldn't fit on my coffee table). It was my first ever game, and I was also trying to run the Chronobot too, AND I was watching the latest episode of Timeless on TV too, so it took me a while - 3 hours to be precise. But that time will come WAY down in the future as I know now how to run the bot, and what *I'm* doing in the game, AND I won't try watching something at the same time next time. In retrospect, watching a show about time travel whilst playing a game about time travel really screwed with my brain.

Yesterday (Sunday) saw a couple more games of Kingdomino with the kids, and then in the evening, my little legacy game group finally got the first true game of Pandemic Legacy: Season 2 done. We had to replay the Prologue as it'd been 2 months since we last played and we'd forgotten most of how Season 2 plays, but we got back into it fine, won the prologue, then won January. Enjoying it so far, so hope it'll continue in the same vein.

Phew! A game-packed weekend!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meghan Naxer
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This week was all about getting out games on our new game topper! Tuesday was Orléans and we realized it has been quite some time since we played the regular version* instead of the Invasion coop. I setup Argent: The Consortium on Wednesday, which is a big setup and is gorgeous on the game topper! But we were pooped on Wednesday, so we didn't play until Thursday. Friday night we played Troyes and it finally clicked for me for my first win! Saturday we met up with some friends for coffee shop gaming: That's Pretty Clever (which is very clever!) and Istanbul: The Dice Game. Yesterday after a delicious breakfast, Paul finally caved and we played Fields of Arle before getting back together with our usual Sunday afternoon gaming couple for Village (so excited to finally try this one!!!) and Petrichor.

*Orleans regular version for us: Base game, no 5th player, Trade board, city contracts, new events (from Trade & Intrigue), all buildings shuffled and 3 of I and II each dealt (when choosing a Trader and place tile, you choose one of the 3 face up or the top of the facedown stack; they immediately refill).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
cuteusagi wrote:

What did you think of this? How does it compare to its big brother?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meghan Naxer
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
njshaw2 wrote:
cuteusagi wrote:

I haven't played the original Istanbul, so I can't really compare there. The dice game was fine—a bit light for my taste due to a little too much output randomness, but I see the appeal and when I wanted to play a light game and someone brought it out, I wouldn't be opposed to it. On the other hand, I don't think I'll be seeking it out for additional plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
cuteusagi wrote:
njshaw2 wrote:
cuteusagi wrote:

I haven't played the original Istanbul, so I can't really compare there. The dice game was fine—a bit light for my taste due to a little too much output randomness, but I see the appeal and when I wanted to play a light game and someone brought it out, I wouldn't be opposed to it. On the other hand, I don't think I'll be seeking it out for additional plays.

Fair enough! The original Istanbul is a great game, but I've never played it with less than 4 players, so not sure how it would play at the lower player count. But it's a LOT more gamery than Istanbul: The Dice Game which sounds like quite a light dice game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Stearns
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got to try Dragon Castle on Thursday and it was a lot of fun! Next up was Indulgence, which was fun as always.

On Friday we played New York Slice and Downforce at the brewery to start. And then I finally got to try Calimala and loved it so much!

Last night, my Mom indulged me in a game of Ex Libris, and hopefully she will give it another try sometime, because I beat her by a lot...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meghan Naxer
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
njshaw2 wrote:
cuteusagi wrote:
njshaw2 wrote:
cuteusagi wrote:

Fair enough! The original Istanbul is a great game, but I've never played it with less than 4 players, so not sure how it would play at the lower player count. But it's a LOT more gamery than Istanbul: The Dice Game which sounds like quite a light dice game.

I am certainly still interested in the bigger Istanbul game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
With my mother visiting, we played a lot of lighter fare. We played 3 games of Unreal Estate, two games of Sonar, three games of Skull, and one each of Ravenous River, Bärenpark, Wok on Fire, and Tokaido.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rody Burg
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since we played Ganz Schon Clever last sunday my friend and I have fallen down the roll and write hole.

We also recently played Istanbul the dice game and besides it being a race game to a certain amount of gems as well they are not really comparable. Unless you are looking for a really fast and simple dice rolling game it shouldn't be a big priority.

We then played No siesta! which I was nervous because I love La Granja. Turn out I quite enjoyed it. The most straight forward of the roll and writes but it was plenty enjoyable. I have heard complaints that the game can go to long by people not taking the hats which end the game, but for me it seems perfectly paced for my one play of it.

Ended the roll and write likes with Steamrollers. I hate pick up and deliver but being a roll and write made it more fun. I only played it 2 players which I want to play with a higher player count in which I think it will shine brighter. Happy with my experience there.

Ended the night with just 3 huge piles of garbage back to back to back. Darkest Night it is a convoluted terrible Pandemic like fantasy game. Its best claim to fame is that is has 29 characters each with their own unique 13 card decks. Too bad the game was a slog and boring as all get out. Lucidity: 6 sided nightmares was a boring dice game. Then Ratland was a cheap kickstarter rat placement game(it did have amazing cheese pieces). Summit the board game is fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  |