Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
49 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

The 7th Continent» Forums » Rules

Subject: Crystal Fragment rules question (and other solo newbie questions) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ira Fay
United States
New Haven
CT
flag msg tools
designer
:-)
badge
Fay Games logo
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm trying the PnP as my first game (since I believe that was the intent), and I just drew an Exploration card which has two choices:

Fight action (with a negative consequence)
Hide action (with no negative consequences)

Neither are mandatory. Am I required to choose one? I think yes, but I can't see anything in the rules that says I must.

Assuming I choose Hide, regardless of outcome, I'll then swap this Exploration card with the appropriate green Adventure card, since it has the white-to-green icon in the upper right. Is that correct?

Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Unspecified
Oregon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Crystal Fragment rules question
That sounds right.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Crystal Fragment rules question
The PnP hadmuch different mechanics to the final game. Make sure you go back to the rulebook afterwards as you’ll find quite a few when you start out with the real deal.

I can’t remember the exact way that the PnP handled temporary events with actions but the final game would have shown them with the mandatory action box.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Crystal Fragment rules question
Actually, ignore my warning above. I didn’t notice the title. The Crystal Fragment stuff is fine to learn the game with. You should note that the card in question probably had an hourglass and red mandatory rings around the actions. If it instead had golden chevrons, then you aren’tmeant To take it immediately.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ira Fay
United States
New Haven
CT
flag msg tools
designer
:-)
badge
Fay Games logo
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Crystal Fragment rules question
Ah, I see. It had chevrons. So I need to take the hide action and succeed to Banish the card, at which point I then fill in the missing spot. Got it!

More questions:

When an item has 0 uses left, it stays constructed, but basically does nothing until I get another item that matches it's type, then I combine them and end up with a usable super item again. Right? Alternately, I can discard it at any time, if I prefer.

Furthermore, what if I have an event that says "Each character getting involved in the following action may discard any number of cards with the serenity keyword from their hand and/or inventory. For each card discarded this way, you get 1 success."

Below that, there's a mandatory Think action. Can I use an item, and then also discard it, to get both benefits? I'm not sure. I believe that "getting involved in the action" happens before step 1, use an item, so probably no. But maybe step 1 is the same as "getting involved."

Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafaella CG
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmb
Re: Crystal Fragment rules question
No, an item with 0 pips is discarded.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Crystal Fragment rules question
ira212 wrote:
Ah, I see. It had chevrons. So I need to take the hide action and succeed to Banish the card, at which point I then fill in the missing spot. Got it!
Now you have it. Golden chevrons indicates the card stays in play until it is somehow removed. These cards are called permanent events.

Quote:
More questions:

When an item has 0 uses left, it stays constructed, but basically does nothing until I get another item that matches it's type, then I combine them and end up with a usable super item again. Right? Alternately, I can discard it at any time, if I prefer.
No. An item with 0 durability must be discarded in the Item step of the action in which it reached 0 durability.

Quote:
Furthermore, what if I have an event that says "Each character getting involved in the following action may discard any number of cards with the serenity keyword from their hand and/or inventory. For each card discarded this way, you get 1 success."

Below that, there's a mandatory Think action. Can I use an item, and then also discard it, to get both benefits? I'm not sure. I believe that "getting involved in the action" happens before step 1, use an item, so probably no. But maybe step 1 is the same as "getting involved."
Take careful note of timing. The event happens when you get involved, which is before you decide which items you are using. You can’t use an item you already discarded. If the timing of the discard is different, you might be able to use it then discard, though.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ira Fay
United States
New Haven
CT
flag msg tools
designer
:-)
badge
Fay Games logo
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Crystal Fragment rules question
Thanks for all the answers. Regarding the item being removed: the rules say that the DIE is removed, but they say nothing about discarding the card. I'm totally new to the game, so I'm guessing you all are right, but looking at the rules as written, it seems like the card stays so you can recharge it later.

Either way, more questions:
Do experience points and quest items persist from game to game? I know they persist across sessions within the same game, but what if you lose (or win)?

So far, I haven't found a way to spend XP. It's not like there's a built in action, right?


Thanks for all the help!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ira Fay
United States
New Haven
CT
flag msg tools
designer
:-)
badge
Fay Games logo
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Crystal Fragment rules question
Oh, and one more question:

On the solo character, it says you can have 4 fire figures. What's the standard number in a multiplayer game?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Crystal Fragment rules question
The discarding is mentioned in the step where it happens:

Rules p 12 wrote:
5. DISCARD Discard all other Curse and Skill cards drawn during step 2 (Cost) into the Discard Pile.
Discard any Item cards that no longer have a die associated with them into the Discard Pile (Action cards) or the Past (Adventure or Exploration cards).
Note that this means any discard effect that occurs in the Cost, Result and Skill steps could discard a card from an item that is due to be discarded in the Discard step.

You will almost certainly discover a way to spend experience as you explore. You could also take a look at a certain character's personal Skill Cards if you want a hint of what to look out for. That character is:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Lovecraft


Each character has one fire token in player counts other than solo. If a new fire is being created and none of the characters involved in the action have their fire token, you must move any token on the board to the new location.
1 
 Thumb up
4.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ALeX
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Crystal Fragment rules question
ira212 wrote:
I'm trying the PnP as my first game (since I believe that was the intent), and I just drew an Exploration card which has two choices:

Fight action (with a negative consequence)
Hide action (with no negative consequences)

Neither are mandatory. Am I required to choose one? I think yes, but I can't see anything in the rules that says I must.
If it's a temporary card (hourglass in the top left corner) you have to resolve it before you can continue. If it's a permanent event (has golden arrow/-s) and no mandatory icons you can deal with it whenever you want, or never since it's been returned on save.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Crystal Fragment rules question
Even if you play solo you have onlyone fire except when you play a custom character
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ira Fay
United States
New Haven
CT
flag msg tools
designer
:-)
badge
Fay Games logo
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Crystal Fragment rules question
Thank you all!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ira Fay
United States
New Haven
CT
flag msg tools
designer
:-)
badge
Fay Games logo
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
And I think this is my only remaining question:
Do experience points and quest items persist from game to game? I know they persist across sessions within the same game, but what if you lose (or win)?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucien Copus
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ira212 wrote:
And I think this is my only remaining question:
Do experience points and quest items persist from game to game? I know they persist across sessions within the same game, but what if you lose (or win)?

If you win or lose everything is reset, including XP and banished cards.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ira212 wrote:
And I think this is my only remaining question:
Do experience points and quest items persist from game to game? I know they persist across sessions within the same game, but what if you lose (or win)?
No. Start each new game fresh. If you want to have experience carry over from Curse to Curse, you are going to have to start the game with multiple Curses.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ira Fay
United States
New Haven
CT
flag msg tools
designer
:-)
badge
Fay Games logo
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, thanks! If you get advanced skills, do those reset too? I'm assuming yes.

At the moment, I'm about 2 hours in, having explored about 7 terrain tiles pretty fully, and feel like I'm relatively close to running out of time, without a lot of ideas on how to solve the curse. The PnP says "find as many crystals as you can." No chances to spend XP yet.

I thought the game had legacy aspects to it - but things fully reset between games?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, everything resets.

Crystal Curse will end in one or two sessions. It's somewhat unlikely that you are going to spend much experience while playing it, as progressing that quest is tied only to the CQ cards, not exploring the Continent.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ira Fay
United States
New Haven
CT
flag msg tools
designer
:-)
badge
Fay Games logo
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, great! Thanks again.

I guess if everything resets and I play another curse, then I might find some parts of the island I've already visited, in which case I can make progress more efficiently. Right?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ira212 wrote:


I thought the game had legacy aspects to it - but things fully reset between games?

No legacy aspect, unless you count knowing stuff
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtiss Cox
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
There are no Legacy elements - nothing is ever permanently altered or destroyed.

But completing a Curse often take multiple game sessions. And the choices you make and progression of the game persists through those sessions until you either lift the Curse or die trying.

You could choose to retain some or all Advanced Skills each run as a house rule, but it would skew the game balance in your favor.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ira Fay
United States
New Haven
CT
flag msg tools
designer
:-)
badge
Fay Games logo
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So I'm a little confused about saving the game.

Let's say I'm on a terrain card that has a good hunting spot, and 1 open exploration spot. I save the game, then I start up again - I'm on that tile, the hunting is reset, and the exploration card is dealt again (even though I previously already explored that map location and know what's there).

It seems like if I'm running low on cards, I should just stop and reset several times in a row, getting a bunch of cards back into the deck from hunting, and optionally exploring the exploration cards (in Crystal's Song, this is quite useful if I want more of those cards without taking time to move around the island).

Am I misunderstanding something? Obviously it seems fun to explore, but I also don't want to run out of the action deck.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucien Copus
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ira212 wrote:
So I'm a little confused about saving the game.

Let's say I'm on a terrain card that has a good hunting spot, and 1 open exploration spot. I save the game, then I start up again - I'm on that tile, the hunting is reset, and the exploration card is dealt again (even though I previously already explored that map location and know what's there).

It seems like if I'm running low on cards, I should just stop and reset several times in a row, getting a bunch of cards back into the deck from hunting, and optionally exploring the exploration cards (in Crystal's Song, this is quite useful if I want more of those cards without taking time to move around the island).

Am I misunderstanding something? Obviously it seems fun to explore, but I also don't want to run out of the action deck.

Most good hunting spots are banished when they're used. Note the "banish green to gold" icon
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ira Fay
United States
New Haven
CT
flag msg tools
designer
:-)
badge
Fay Games logo
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Aha! Great. That makes sense now too. Thanks for all this awesome help!

Another question:

I can combine any items I want regardless of keyword. But, if the keyword matches then durability goes up.

So, if I find some food but already have 4 items (solo), I can either discard one item to make a new item stack of food, or add the food to an existing item stack. Then, I use the durability of the original item, not the food, right?

So let's say I had a walking stick, durability 4, and find 1 fish. I put it under the walking stick, then use the fish action, reducing durability to 3, returning the fish (per the text on that card), and putting 4 cards back in the Action deck.

I'm pretty sure I've understood all that correctly and it's what the rules say, but I figured it was worth double checking. Thanks!


On another note:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Is it the case that this is a ridiculously powerful combo:
1) the Scholar skill (-1 card, +1 star on take/handle skill)
2) the Terrocokus card 50 that allows you to swap a card from your hand with the action deck
3) a terrain tile with Terrocokus on it?

As far as I can tell, that's super duper powerful, since I can freely swap cards in the deck with my hand, and with the Remember skill, that often includes the discard pile too. I've found it relatively easy to do this combo in my first game, but maybe I just got really lucky, since there are a lot of copies of card 50...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Aristides
Cyprus
Nicosia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ira212 wrote:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
As far as I can tell, that's super duper powerful, since I can freely swap cards in the deck with my hand, and with the Remember skill, that often includes the discard pile too. I've found it relatively easy to do this combo in my first game, but maybe I just got really lucky, since there are a lot of copies of card 50...

Yes, you were kinda lucky. I played with the botanist in my first game, and got lots of '50' cards, but that card was one of the last ones I got so I didn't get to use it much.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |