New Haven
CT
flag msg tools
designer
:-)
badge
Fay Games logo
mbmbmbmbmb
If you save the game, does the fire figure on your terrain card also go away, or is it there when you return?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BJM
United States
Meridian
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ira212 wrote:
If you save the game, does the fire figure on your terrain card also go away, or is it there when you return?

Yes, the fire figure goes away. (Thematically, the fire goes out when you sleep for the night.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ira Fay
United States
New Haven
CT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Fay Games logo
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you!

Another question:

I've recently found a few items that have a durability of 1, no types, and have the text "Using this does not lower the durability of the item." For example
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Bamboo tube, from an exploration card in section II

So let's say I put it under the Raft item, which had a durability of 4. The new merged item stil has durability 4. When I use the merged raft, if I trigger the raft card effect, then I still lower durability, but if I use only the found item, then I don't lower durability?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ira Fay
United States
New Haven
CT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Fay Games logo
mbmbmbmbmb
Another question: if a card shows the fire resource, is that the same as a fire figure for purposes of reduced movement to that terrain? I think "no", but thematically it would make sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtiss Cox
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
ira212 wrote:
Thank you!

Another question:

I've recently found a few items that have a durability of 1, no types, and have the text "Using this does not lower the durability of the item." For example
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Bamboo tube, from an exploration card in section II

So let's say I put it under the Raft item, which had a durability of 4. The new merged item stil has durability 4. When I use the merged raft, if I trigger the raft card effect, then I still lower durability, but if I use only the found item, then I don't lower durability?

Correct, but I believe the item in question also instructs you to discard the card after use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtiss Cox
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
ira212 wrote:
Another question: if a card shows the fire resource, is that the same as a fire figure for purposes of reduced movement to that terrain? I think "no", but thematically it would make sense.

No, not the same thing unfortunately. You must have a physical fire on the terrain card in question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ira212 wrote:
I've recently found a few items that have a durability of 1, no types, and have the text "Using this does not lower the durability of the item."

If you happen to be able to use both it and the Raft on the same action, then you get all the effects for free. Note that these item cards also typically discard themselves when used, so you only get one free usage.

ira212 wrote:

No. The figures provide the resource but not the other way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ira Fay
United States
New Haven
CT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Fay Games logo
mbmbmbmbmb
The two recent answers disagree re: using bamboo + raft on the same action. Does it lower durability or not? I think it does lower durability, because the bamboo says "using THIS does not lower durability..." But "this" is defined as "this card."

Another question:
Woven Basket says you can have 7 items in the stack (for solo play) instead of 4. But, since the max die value is 6, you can really only carry 5 food in it, plus 1 for the basket, right? You could carry 6 food, but if you ever ate that 6th food, the basket would go away too. I guess carrying 5 is better than the usual 4, and maybe the item is better in multiplayer. I just wanted to double check that I was understanding the way food worked in solo...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ira Fay
United States
New Haven
CT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Fay Games logo
mbmbmbmbmb
Another strange thing:
Cards are laid out like this:
ABC

I'm standing on terrain (card B) that requires walking of 2 to pathfind. I want to go to card C. I have a fire on a terrain (card A) that's has path finding cost of 1. Since I'm playing solo and have -3 to walk to terrain with fire, it's better for me to pathfind to the card A (cost 0), then pathfind to card C (cost 1). Instead of going straight to C (cost 2). That's thematically weird. Am I misunderstanding something here?

Also, I can pathfind through snow terrain as long as I don't stop there, right? I realize when I'm leaving that terrain the -3 bonus doesn't apply even to a fire, since that's snowshoeing and not walking. But if I don't stop on that terrain and just go through it, then I'm fine, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ira Fay
United States
New Haven
CT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Fay Games logo
mbmbmbmbmb
If a player gains a card outside of an action (e.g. As a result of an exploration card with "immediately do XYZ"), does hand limit still apply? I think no. I think hand limit only applies at the end of an action, during step 7. Which is basically all the time, but not completely, since you could temporarily exceed it after that card is revealed, until you take another action. Right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtiss Cox
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
ira212 wrote:
The two recent answers disagree re: using bamboo + raft on the same action. Does it lower durability or not? I think it does lower durability, because the bamboo says "using THIS does not lower durability..." But "this" is defined as "this card."

I don't think think our answers conflict. If you use the bamboo item's ability you don't lower durability.

ira212 wrote:

Another question:
Woven Basket says you can have 7 items in the stack (for solo play) instead of 4. But, since the max die value is 6, you can really only carry 5 food in it, plus 1 for the basket, right? You could carry 6 food, but if you ever ate that 6th food, the basket would go away too. I guess carrying 5 is better than the usual 4, and maybe the item is better in multiplayer. I just wanted to double check that I was understanding the way food worked in solo...

The max durability is 6, correct. Each food use is a separate action that lowers durability by 1. So in your example, you need to find a way to increase the durability after eating some of the food cards before you eat the rest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtiss Cox
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
ira212 wrote:
Another strange thing:
Cards are laid out like this:
ABC

I'm standing on terrain (card B) that requires walking of 2 to pathfind. I want to go to card C. I have a fire on a terrain (card A) that's has path finding cost of 1. Since I'm playing solo and have -3 to walk to terrain with fire, it's better for me to pathfind to the card A (cost 0), then pathfind to card C (cost 1). Instead of going straight to C (cost 2). That's thematically weird. Am I misunderstanding something here?

Also, I can pathfind through snow terrain as long as I don't stop there, right? I realize when I'm leaving that terrain the -3 bonus doesn't apply even to a fire, since that's snowshoeing and not walking. But if I don't stop on that terrain and just go through it, then I'm fine, right?

You have the rules correct on both. Walking around is sometimes thematically weird.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtiss Cox
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
ira212 wrote:
If a player gains a card outside of an action (e.g. As a result of an exploration card with "immediately do XYZ"), does hand limit still apply? I think no. I think hand limit only applies at the end of an action, during step 7. Which is basically all the time, but not completely, since you could temporarily exceed it after that card is revealed, until you take another action. Right?

The situation you describe still falls under the rules of an action. Almost everything in the game is part of some kind of action. In you example, drawing the card is part of the action's consequence resolution step, and so you would apply the hand limit accordingly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ira Fay
United States
New Haven
CT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Fay Games logo
mbmbmbmbmb
CheddarLimbo wrote:
In you example, drawing the card is part of the action's consequence resolution step, and so you would apply the hand limit accordingly.
Ah, right! It's part of the Pathfind action when I flip over the Exploration card... of course! Thanks.

FYI, since this has basically been Ira's Questions When Learning To Play 7th Continent thread, I also posted a new thread about an infinite combo, and I'm curious to know what all the helpful people on this thread think about it...
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2005607/infinite-combo

Thanks again again for all the answers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Wells
United States
Haverhill
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since the Crystal Fragment is being discussed...

My wife and I are playing our first game. We have the crystal fragment card that we can dig for that needs 3 stars and no action cards can be drawn due to the lock. Therefore the 3 stars must be obtained solely from items and skills. Looking through all the cards, I don’t see any combination that does this; never mind the 6 stars needed if you are tired.

We are obviously missing a rule or two.

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brwells wrote:

My wife and I are playing our first game. We have the crystal fragment card that we can dig for that needs 3 stars and no action cards can be drawn due to the lock. Therefore the 3 stars must be obtained solely from items and skills. Looking through all the cards, I don’t see any combination that does this; never mind the 6 stars needed if you are tired.

Brian
this has been asked on many places before.
You are not missing anything
There are enough ways to solve this, but you are right it is not too easy.
But you probably won’t find all of them anyway, so don’t stress too much about that one and go on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Long
United States
New London
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
brwells wrote:

Brian

Nope. Some tasks are pretty much impossible to succeed, unless you already have the right combination of equipment and skills in hand.

Sort of like life...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Long
United States
New London
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CheddarLimbo wrote:
ira212 wrote:

The situation you describe still falls under the rules of an action. Almost everything in the game is part of some kind of action. In you example, drawing the card is part of the action's consequence resolution step, and so you would apply the hand limit accordingly.

So, draw the card, as part of step 6 (Consequences) and if you're over your limit, discard down to hand limit as part of step 7 (hand size limit.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ville E
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'll piggyback of this thread, since I just started Crystal's Song yesterday with my friend.

1) Fire tokens replenish after you save (or rather resume)? It doesn't say so upon resuming game, but I would guess that the intent is not that you 'run out of fire'. Also, if we're both involved in the action, we can use anyone's token?

2) I don't remember the exact details, but... There was a situation (I want to say exploration event) that was something like "discard x cards from action deck to discard pile" then there was a separator line ---- and "only active player does this..."
--So my question is; if it not specifically stated, do events default to affecting the ACTIVE player? In the mentioned (hazy) situation above, would we discard X cards for player A and X cards for (involved) player B or just for the active one?
We played it so that it only affected active player, since it seemed to me it specifically says if involved players are affected. That being said, we had a grand experience of like 2-4 exploration cards under our belts, so it is hard to tell!

3) Combined items and using them. If one part of the item has 'discard this' as a possible effect, does it discard the whole item or just the one part? In our game the affected cards were food and bolas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Yes, and if you don’t have a token and make a fire, move an existing token to your location.

2) I’m assuming what followed that text was a Mandatory action. That is what only the active player should be doing. Usually, everybody that took the action that revealed the temporary event will participate in Mandatory actions, but this one is only to be taken alone.

The card discard is definitely once only, regardless of involved characters.

3) only that part. If it is the top card of a stack, move the die to the new top card. This effect also applies when told to discard a card with a particular keyword, such as stealth. You can deconstruct that card to discard it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Robinson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
In memory of Tara, my beloved Wolfhound-Deerhound cross. Flew away Feb 2016, still missed.
mbmbmbmbmb
CthulhuStoleXmas wrote:
1) Fire tokens replenish after you save (or rather resume)? It doesn't say so upon resuming game, but I would guess that the intent is not that you 'run out of fire'. Also, if we're both involved in the action, we can use anyone's token?

There isn't really such a thing as "your fire token". The intent of the rule is that there shouldn't be more fire tokens on the board than the number of players. Also, if all your tokens are out and you start another fire, you move one of them from elsewhere on the map.

Cheers,
GRaham

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ville E
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the answers! Yes to Jorgen, the 2nd part was mandatory.

About the fire tokens: Is it a common pool, or does everyone have one?
The situation that comes into mind is; my friend builds a fire (using 'his' token), let's say for the sake of example I'm involved. Later we split up and he wants to build another fire. Can he use 'my' token, or do we need to move a token on a card (since he has used his).
I'm asking because the setup rules say "each player takes..." instead of for example "For each player take..."

-edit- I realize this is not probably the most important rule to get right, but since we're asking and answering... -edit-

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ville E
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Found it in a the fan-FAQ: Everyone has one token, and need to be involved to use that token. Otherwise move a fire already on board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CthulhuStoleXmas wrote:
Found it in a the fan-FAQ: Everyone has one token, and need to be involved to use that token. Otherwise move a fire already on board.

That's what I would've said, so good work finding it yourself .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  |