Popular Tags: MN [+] [View All]
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Recently moved to near Grand Rapids, MN.

Looking for any gaming groups within, say 100 miles (this would include Duluth). Any hints as to stores that are worthwhile (or any stores at all) would be appreciated too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Benham
United States
Inver Grove Heights
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me be the first to welcome you to the sinkhole of the universe

GR used to have a small game store, but it shut down due to what I suspect would be lack of income. It was mostly a CCG shop. Not sure what Duluth has, though I know there is a comic shop in the mall that carries a small selection. Hopefully one of the Duluth folk that hang out here will be able to fill you in better.

Needless to say I do most of my shopping online.

I've got a group of friends that game semi-regularly, and you're welcome to join us if you don't mind hanging out with a bunch of twenty-somethings. We really don't have a regular schedule at the moment as I work nights and they work days, but I can shoot you a GM the next time we're for sure going to play if you'd like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NinjaPirateAssassin wrote:
Let me be the first to welcome you to the sinkhole of the universe

GR used to have a small game store, but it shut down due to what I suspect would be lack of income. It was mostly a CCG shop. Not sure what Duluth has, though I know there is a comic shop in the mall that carries a small selection. Hopefully one of the Duluth folk that hang out here will be able to fill you in better.

Needless to say I do most of my shopping online.

I've got a group of friends that game semi-regularly, and you're welcome to join us if you don't mind hanging out with a bunch of twenty-somethings. We really don't have a regular schedule at the moment as I work nights and they work days, but I can shoot you a GM the next time we're for sure going to play if you'd like.

Well lack of stores is better than lack of players. I can order online after all. I just didn't want to do that if there was a local(ish) guy to support, especially if he was one with playing space.

I'd love a note (or phone call, will send mail with #) the next time you'll be playing.

I was twenty-something not too long ago... (turned 30 less than two weeks ago)

Not sure what stuff you (as a group) prefer to play, but I'm game for just about anything. I think my games owned list is up to date if there's anything someone wants to try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Stein
United States
Oakdale
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You could checkout Robin Goodfellow (I think that's the name) in Duluth at Lake Ave and 1st Street. It sells comics and some games and miniatures. There is some open gaming space. I think mostly Warhammer, roleplaying and CCG's. The good news is there is some gaming going on.

Also, maybe check at UMD; there should be at least one gaming group at a college.

Good Luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TwStein wrote:
You could checkout Robin Goodfellow (I think that's the name) in Duluth at Lake Ave and 1st Street. It sells comics and some games and miniatures. There is some open gaming space. I think mostly Warhammer, roleplaying and CCG's. The good news is there is some gaming going on.

Also, maybe check at UMD; there should be at least one gaming group at a college.

Good Luck!

Robin Goodfellow's on my list of places to check out one of the next times I'm in Duluth.

Will be there for the inline marathon in a few weeks (wife's skating, not me), but will probably be too busy that trip.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Benham
United States
Inver Grove Heights
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
keethrax wrote:

Well lack of stores is better than lack of players. I can order online after all. I just didn't want to do that if there was a local(ish) guy to support, especially if he was one with playing space.

I'd love a note (or phone call, will send mail with #) the next time you'll be playing.

I was twenty-something not too long ago... (turned 30 less than two weeks ago)

Not sure what stuff you (as a group) prefer to play, but I'm game for just about anything. I think my games owned list is up to date if there's anything someone wants to try.

Shot you back a message with the various specifics. We're kind of a rag-tag group ourselves, but we'll play just about anything once. The business space in the area is all owned by the same small group of people, and they charge insane amounts of rent for the relative town size (upwards of $3500/mo for a small slot in a strip-mall) which makes it really hard for essentially niche stores to operate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/120302http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/294366?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Ellis
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.phoenixgamesonline.com/

Might want to check out Phoenix Games' virtual retail site. Shipping to your location shouldn't be much and you can save up to 40% on purchases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chiller1064 wrote:
http://www.phoenixgamesonline.com/

Might want to check out Phoenix Games' virtual retail site. Shipping to your location shouldn't be much and you can save up to 40% on purchases.

I've already got my favorite online places to buy from, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't screwing some local guy out of a sale first. That 40% is worth paying to me if it means supporting a local store. Since the local store provides a place to find opponents, and possibly to play depending on the store.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BaSL wrote:

Sadly, using that very handy tool the closest hit to my ZIP is 149 miles away. That's one of the reasons I started this thread to see if anyone had ideas that weren't on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Cauley
United States
Deephaven
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
Phoenix Games is the oldest Game shop in Minneapolis
Many of us have been going there since 1987
(Or to the previous shop at the same location; the Little tin Soldier) since 1975)
PHOENIX GAMES ONLINE is the online portion of the business

Kevin Johnson
Manager
Phoenix Games online
www.phoenixgamesonline.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PhoenixGames_Mpls wrote:
Phoenix Games is the oldest Game shop in Minneapolis
Many of us have been going there since 1987
(Or to the previous shop at the same location; the Little tin Soldier) since 1975)
PHOENIX GAMES ONLINE is the online portion of the business

Kevin Johnson
Manager
Phoenix Games online
www.phoenixgamesonline.com

Yep, you guys are definitely on my list of places to stop next time I'm that way. Just not really close enough to for me to count it as "local".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Goenner
United States
St. Cloud
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Yup, changed the Avatar for self-promotion.
badge
Go vote in the 24-Hour RPG Design Contest!
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't know what your situation is as this thread is about a year old, but I was browsing to hopefully find locals in Duluth. Anyway, there's a store in Duluth called Gameplanet on Woodland Ave. and Oxford St. that is a GREAT place for games. It's fairly new, and everyone there is awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls