United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RED ALERT: AN EARLY COMMENTARY
What's Old and What's New
By Chas

Being a total Commands & Colors junkie, and an older gamer who owns all the games published with all of their numerous expansions bought when they originally came out, and has plans to buy all the upcoming designs of the series,* I found out about the Kickstarter for the new Red Alert: Space Fleet Warfare game published by PSC yesterday, about a day after it was fully funded in only six hours, and became a backer after watching the preview video the same day. Now that I've had a chance to read through the rules available on the offering page, my major interest is: What design elements are from older games in the series, and what is unique? This is the first naval C&C game to be published, although designer Richard Borg usually has plenty of unpublished material—he said years ago at a convention that he had an entire Ancients naval game that has yet to see the light of day. Only his play testing crew down in Florida knows for sure!

While the rules book is a great help in analyzing the game, much of it, like an iceberg, lies hidden under the surface. So I can't comment yet for example on the important elements hidden in the specifics of the Command and Combat card decks yet unknown, the Kickstarter add on scenarios which will provide fifteen more to the eight regular scenarios presented in the core/retail game (not counting the two learning scenarios) for a total of 23, the variety hidden in the Task Force cards, or the actual experience of playing the game with its new tactical elements. But what can we say so far?

WHAT'S OLD?

Red Alert is very much a C&C game, in fact so much so that I was almost disappointed during my first rules read through. It resembles most the other PSC offering The Great War in springing up fully developed with two card decks, a 'Racing Against Time scenario' (subsequently adopted into other C&C games), and the basic resource of Star Tokens (aka Lore, Honor, HQ) which force end turn decisions about taking them and/or Combat Cards, and using them in what actually may be their most variable use so far. (Mr. Borg says it most resembles Memoir 44). 'Basic Star Actions' include enhanced movement, combat (including a Battle Back ability), Red Alert token removal (ship repair), activating individual Combat Cards, Destroyer special attacks, and more—rules p. 23 lists six different actions with them! Multi figure/model units act as those from older games, with Carriers, Dreadnoughts, Battleships, Cruisers, Destroyers, and Fighters, each (except Carriers and Dreadnoughts) with a 'Heavy' variant unit that adds a fourth model to its unit (like Elite Tanks in Memoir 44). Destroyers can make 'warp movement' which are charges into close combat similar to the larger movement ability as cavalry or armor, and are probably meant to simulate torpedo/missle runs in this context.

Basic hex movement and combat remain mostly the same, as do three board sectors, scenario objective types, icon hit dice, etc. Terrain tiles for asteroid fields and planetary systems have similar effects to the older games, although they often offer more Victory Points through multiple occupation of their hexes if that victory objective is in effect (such as multiple hexes of a city in older games). The Task Force deployment cards resemble those from Battle Lore, allowing a random side force composition, but there is also a new wrinkle: a point system to customize your fleet, as well as a system of adding 'Support Ships' with any extra building points left over, and a limited Hidden Deployment ability. As in Samurai Battles, heavier units can shrug off some hits from lighter units. And the unit symbols, Red Square for Heavy (actually changed here to Purple so the Red Alert faces can be Red), Blue Triangle for Medium, and Green Circle for Light, are the same as in several games.

Red Alert plays with 2-6 players. As with one variation of some older games played with six, the Side Commander runs the central sector and gives out the cards, with the two other players each taking a flank sector. It could probably be played with a seperate C-in-C for each side with 8 Players as well, although this is not officially supported.

WHAT'S NEW?

Red Alert's new elements mostly are those that make this a naval game, and some particularly a space naval game. Fought in two dimensions, they nevertheless simulate the game subtitle of Space Fleet Warfare.

The Flagship is a unique piece that simulates a light carrier by having its own integral fighter unit, which takes hits and provides extra combat power in Close Combat; the flagship also offers extra protection to adjacent units.

Carriers Although only introduced as an optional extra buy, their stretch goal has been unlocked. They 'launch fighter strikes,' by allowing their Fighters off the leash to strike independently at a distance, which makes them different from Flagships, which keep their CAP (Combat Air Patrol) Fighters close. Both types carry three fighters each.

Dreadnoughts are different from Battleships. For one thing, they come with three fighters (CAP?). Like Carriers, these are also an optional additional purchase.

Space Platforms are giant planetary defense gun platforms! These are the third type of 'Escalation Pack' optional additional buys. Each pack comes with one SP mini and eight Cargo ships. These have limited fighting ability but provide extra star tokens and possible additional victory points.

Red Alert Tokens are essentially Critical Hits, which affect the movement and combat power of a unit, and may force a retreat. They can be repaired to a limited extent.

Capital Ship Debris Tokens are placed each time a heavy class ship unit is destroyed, making its hex prohibited for movement, and probably blocking line of sight.

Cloaking Devices and Other Combat Cards are not explained in the rules, but tokens are provided for them. Other promising new Combat Cards include Boarding Party, Second Fighter Wave, and Hold Fire that can be just glimpsed. Others like First Strike and Ambush are clearly duplications or variations of old cards.

Star Tokens as mentioned above seem to have more uses than the resource tokens in previous games. This makes sense to simulate the many different strategic/tactical uses of a space fleet's energy allocations, usually an important factor in space gaming.

Future Expansions include current Kickstarter Optional Buys, which offer a number of additional ship models, ship types, terrain, and scenarios, and entire duplicate fleets of minis, intended mostly for those wishing to use them for other game systems. Two new fleets of other factions will include ships which operate differently. In addition, PSC announced that Richard Borg is working on "Planetfall," which will supposedly include ground forces for landings!

Although the Red (“Commonwealth”) and Green (“Confederacy”) fleets originally used identical ship miniatures, to simulate a civil war in space among two large factions made up of multiple races and planets, different mini sculpts for the two fleets are now available. Two other factions fleets are planned, which may use different rules and will use different combat cards for their ship operations.

The Miniatures are sleek mechanical torpedoes for one side, with more angled squared off edges for the other. The Capital Class are placed on two lower stand posts over their black bases, Strike Class (Cruisers and Destroyers) on higher ones.

The Board is actually the first C&C game mat, which is a black star hex field ("over 4' x 3'"), on which multiple hex space terrain can be overlapped with their own hex groups. The minis appear to "fly" over it very nicely; some players may buy the set just for the minis alone!

Space Terrain will make the game very science fictiony. In addition to Asteroid Fields and Planetary Systems, the contents of the first of the two KS Stretch Goal terrain packs, Space Rift, reveals that wild six Rift hexes will have a random chance of sending ships in them teleported off to other random board locations. A preview of the second Meteor Storm is yet to come.

Victory Conditions In a video at GenCon 2018, Richard Borg pointed out that where other C&C designs have a default victory condition of a number of enemy units destroyed, Red Alert uses a Victory Point threshold system. Each different class of ship destroyed gives a different point score, with the larger classes yielding more VP.

OTHER CONSIDERATIONS

A fairly expensive price point of $120 makes the purchasing decision a hefty one for many, who have so commented in their early posts. Figure $150 if you additionally purchase one each of the two add on packs, each of which adds an additional ship type (Carriers and Dreadnoughts) for each side. The components and graphics look good, and include 92 ship miniatures for two complete space fleets (more if the Kickstarter extras are unlocked, which has already begun with the first few). You also get a full array of tiles, tokens, markers and 12 custom dice—this is possibly the first time a C&C core game ever gave you enough dice so you don't constantly have to be passing them back and forth, at least between sides! (Edit: now 24 dice with the new KS Extra free 'Silver Admiral's 12 Dice set'). And there are two nice Unit Summary Sheet player aids. I suggested to them that another summary chart with the new and unique Star Token Special Actions would also be useful, and they seem to have liked the idea.

The big question is, if you already own some C&C games, do you want to buy another? As usual, the original Kickstarter package offers both a discount and exclusive extras, and a quicker delivery (tentatively scheduled for March 2019). The core game and some of the expansions will be available in retail. If you don't like the C&C system, stay away. But if you enjoy the many ways Mr. Borg manages to make each different period/genre come alive with a system with which you are already familiar, you may consider it seriously. If you are a rookie to C&C and this will be your first one, there are videos on some of the earlier games which may help you decide if its for you. Or play one with a pal who owns it. That's probably the best way to go.

(Edit Note): Some of the information above just came in and was edited into the post, so check back here for further updates.

SPECIAL KICKSTARTER UPDATE #9 MAJOR ADDITION

A note here that with the new addition of a redone second entire fleet with different sculpts. They did this by repurposing an future expansion faction into the Confederates. However, the new operating rules for a different third faction will be delayed until the first wave of post-Kickstarter expansions. PSC has now responded to the major criticism of the fans so far. There are also additional sweeteners such as free and accelerated schedule Kickstarter Extras.

FINAL SCENARIO COUNT

With all Stretch Goals unlocked during the final hours, the Kickstarter Backer scenario count rises from 8 in the Core Game to 19 for all backers, and 23 for those who purchased the two add-ons for Carriers and Dreadnoughts once each.

*see my discussion thread of the entire series here: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1238923/guide-cc-games-...

Red Alert is the tenth C&C game announced for publication; the previous games are:
Battle Lore (Medieval/Fantasy, First Edition out of print; Second Edition not by Richard Borg)
C&C Ancients (Greek and Roman periods)
Samurai Battles (First Edition out of print; to be redone by GMT)
C&C Medieval (Scheduled for 2019; starting with Byzantium)
Tricorne: American Revolution
C&C Napoleonics
Battle Cry (US Civil War, updated by Battle Cry 150; both out of print)
The Great War (WWI)
Memoir 44 (WWII)

2019 SHIPPING UPDATE

The latest Kickstarter update here in late January says the games have left China, avoiding the month long February shut down for Chinese New Year, and are on the way to worldwide distribution centers. So the game is still on target for March delivery to us Kickstarter backers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Fedel
United States
Winston-Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Insight, Chas! Thanks for writing it up!

I feel like this game could so easily be expanded with other factions that introduce other ships and mechanics. Lot's of potential for future support and innovation.

How long until I can I get a Deathstar Borgstar?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
meeple Well, one of the extra optional buys is a 'Space Platform,' that so far shows lots of Fighter (?) models!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K A
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I'll play the Klingons
badge
I'll play the Klingons
mbmbmbmbmb
Initially I was afraid this game could represent C&C "jumping the shark". Then I saw all the content and mention of task forces and my hopes skyrocketed. Now, after reading the rules, I've settled somewhere between.

A couple of years ago, I made the decision to cut my C&C games back to just the base game of Memoir '44 (I'm considering a 2nd base box for large scenarios) and its terrain pack. While each C&C version had differences that impacted play, they were still the same game in their core and didn't feel different enough to me to justify having several. As a result I sold Battle Cry, sold Ancients with three of its expansions, and I just gave away Napoleonics.

In Memoir '44 the terrain types add a lot of diversity to the landscape that this game with just a couple of terrain types does not have. The combat cards could separate this one in interesting ways but they are randomly drawn during the game so no one of them is intrinsic to a fleet's properties to make it feel unique.

When I saw mention of task force cards I had hoped, without foundation, that these would represent multiple ship types within a single hex unit to give the unit different properties based upon its ship makeup. Instead the task force cards seem to be just a quick way of picking out the initial starting forces. The only hint of what I was hoping for is the way each fighter gives the flagship an extra die instead of just being a hit point. In all the other squadron types, each ship is just a hit point.

So now it feels like this is a game trapped by some arbitrary confines of its namesake system. It benefits from being based on a solid core but doesn't seem to differentiate itself much from the C&C crowd. At this price point, I'm not interested in buying expansions to give it more variety.

So now, I'm still left wondering whether I will buy this to represent the system instead of Memoir with the benefit of having ships to use in the various space game rulesets that I own or do I just save the gaming dollars and shelf space for something else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I just wish someone would pick up Battleship Galaxies and do a kickstarter for it to expand an awesome space game......Is that too much to ask? I haven't found another game that is as fun as that was even with it's limited ship selection (it was supposed to get booster packs but that never happened.)

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
GamePlayer wrote:
Initially I was afraid this game could represent C&C "jumping the shark". Then I saw all the content and mention of task forces and my hopes skyrocketed. Now, after reading the rules, I've settled somewhere between.

A couple of years ago, I made the decision to cut back to just the base game of Memoir '44 (I'm considering a 2nd base box for large scenarios) and its terrain pack. While each C&C version had differences that impacted play, they were still the same game in their core and didn't feel different enough to me to justify having several. As a result I sold Battle Cry, sold Ancients with three of its expansions, and I just gave away Napoleonics.

In Memoir '44 the terrain types add a lot of diversity to the landscape that this game with just a couple of terrain types does not have. The combat cards could separate this one in interesting ways but they are randomly drawn during the game so no one of them is intrinsic to a fleet's properties to make it feel unique.

When I saw mention of task force cards I had hoped, without foundation, that these would represent multiple ship types within a single hex unit to give the unit different properties based upon its ship makeup. Instead the task force cards seem to be just a quick way of picking out the initial starting forces. The only hint of what I was hoping for is the way each fighter gives the flagship an extra die instead of just being a hit point. In all the other squadron types, each ship is just a hit point.

So now it feels like this is a game trapped by some arbitrary confines of its namesake system. It benefits from being based on a solid core but doesn't seem to differentiate itself much from the C&C crowd. At this price point, I'm not interested in buying expansions to give it more variety.

So now, I'm still left wondering whether I will buy this to represent the system instead of Memoir with the benefit of having ships to use in the various space game rulesets that I own or do I just save the gaming dollars and shelf space for something else.

The ships look large enough to work well for multiple miniatures systems. At the price for two "extra" fleets (forty pounds each), you might as well spring for the game (which will give you the extra Stretch Goal minis too).

Though, given shipping costs these days, you might want to wait for retailers to stock the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
chas59 wrote:
meeple Well, one of the extra optional buys is a 'Space Platform,' that so far shows lots of Fighter models!
Oh, those are FIGHTERS. Here I've been trying to make them look like cargo ships or transports, and wondering how such vessels fit into a "space platform" concept.

I guess it's a non-mobile Space Fortress with fighters as well as lasers or phasers or ray guns or whatever. Thanks for making sense of those silhouettes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Teamski wrote:
I just wish someone would pick up Battleship Galaxies and do a kickstarter for it to expand an awesome space game......Is that too much to ask? I haven't found another game that is as fun as that was even with it's limited ship selection (it was supposed to get booster packs but that never happened.)

-Ski
With you on this, Ski. At HMGS "Fall In" I was fortunate enough to score a complete copy, opened but unused, for $20. This second copy even had the battleship's "turret" which was missing from my first set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
goo My guess now is that the Space Platform may indeed have a different class than Fighters, but it says "miniature art not finalized." So I added a question mark to that post above! (Edit: It has now been revealed that these are eight Logistics or Cargo ships which you get with one Space Platform/Station mini).

I loved Battleship Galaxies too, but got rid of it after going through all of the scenarios, since no support was forthcoming. I didn't really feel it offered enough game play options without more cards, minis, etc. for much additional table time. Also, it had the best free comic book included in a board game that I ever read!

BTW, reactions to this post just pushed me over my personal goal of 10,000 BGG Thumbs Up. Thanks to all who contributed here and elsewhere over the years!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The price is already holding me back a bit, but the deal breaker for me is the number of scenarios. Eight is not enough.
(I'm used to GMT providing 20 of them -- maybe I'm just spoiled!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K A
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I'll play the Klingons
badge
I'll play the Klingons
mbmbmbmbmb
Drawing the task force cards to select the specific forces for scenarios will give them a lot more diversity than the fixed setups in some C&C type games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
arrrh I hear you. But note that if all Stretch Goals are met (and they usually are) and you do the KS you actually get 19, which goes up to 23 if you buy the two small optional extra upgrades (not the extra complete fleets). Just saying.

PSC has still not released their two extra Tricorne KS scenarios, so its something to think about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
my eye
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, spending $135+ USD to unlock stretch goals for the privilege of spending more money to get the full-game experience chafes a bit.

I'm pledged but still unsure I'll keep it.

And for those who missed it, that's a big mat -- 130cm (51.18") x 100cm (39.375"). It'll just fit on my table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
meeple True. But the extra purchases include two additional ship types, Carrier and Dreadnought, which are not otherwise included, at a discount price, among other things. So I imagine I'll get them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Saxton
United States
Affton (St. Louis)
Missouri
flag msg tools
After all, gas can is my middle name. Eh, not really.
Microbadge: Got My Kicks on the 66!Microbadge: GEV fanMicrobadge: My Favorite Contribution to BGGMicrobadge: OGREMicrobadge: One Ring to rule them all...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Yordy
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah that price point is way beyond anything I'd be willing to pay for a game. I love C&C but the PSC titles are just too expensive and the price on this one is astronomical(pun intended). Obviously, many others feel differently though based on their Kickstarter campaign. Of course, at that price they really didn't need that many pledges to begin with

Edit: It also feels weird fighting a space battle like this. A lot of space games have more of abstracted combat but this just feels odd having spaceships fighting each other as if they couldn't fly up or down and are instead in some weird dimension where space is flat
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Saxton
United States
Affton (St. Louis)
Missouri
flag msg tools
After all, gas can is my middle name. Eh, not really.
Microbadge: Got My Kicks on the 66!Microbadge: GEV fanMicrobadge: My Favorite Contribution to BGGMicrobadge: OGREMicrobadge: One Ring to rule them all...
It's going to be expensive, yes, but presently with the first few Stretch Goals, it's up to 106 ship miniatures. That amount will grow as further SG are met.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Morgan
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: El-ahrairahMicrobadge: Charlie Chaplin fanMicrobadge: Friedrich HayekMicrobadge: Silent Film fanMicrobadge: Calvin and Hobbes fan
I don't know that it will make anywhere near all the goals as they are very high compared to where The Great War and other recent Borg games ended up.

I like the idea of this game but wonder if I should just invest more in SW Armada or X-Wing 2.0

Sigh... not enough money/time for everything I want to try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
meeple Its all relative. I've done about five Kickstarters in the last two years since I started, including this one. But there are lots of plasticrack addicts out there who think nothing of spending as much money every month or so for a design with lots of minis in giant boxes and almost no game behind them. Some say "I got it for the minis!" Compared to that, I have no problem with this one. But to each his own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
chas59 wrote:
meeple Its all relative. I've done about five Kickstarters in the last two years since I started, including this one. But there are lots of plasticrack addicts out there who think nothing of spending as much money every month or so for a design with lots of minis in giant boxes and almost no game behind them. Some say "I got it for the minis!" Compared to that, I have no problem with this one. But to each his own.
The fact that both sides have the same ships at this cost befuddles me. There is no middle man yet the game costs a small fortune. Have fun with the add-ons.

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ski,

Well, Delaware isn't all that far away from NYC. Come up next year and we'll play!

Jon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
chas59 wrote:
Ski,

Well, Delaware isn't all that far away from NYC. Come up next year and we'll play!

Jon
Well, you can come on down to Delaware and we can play Battlelore 1.0 at a fraction of the cost. I even have my set painted for your entertainment.

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ski,

Very, very nice, and thanks indeed for the invitation. But I don't travel much anymore myself, although I've been all around the world, being pretty advanced in years now. Good gaming!

Jon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K A
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I'll play the Klingons
badge
I'll play the Klingons
mbmbmbmbmb
Teamski wrote:
chas59 wrote:
Ski,

Jon
Well, you can come on down to Delaware and we can play Battlelore 1.0 at a fraction of the cost. I even have my set painted for your entertainment.

-Ski
Beautiful paint job. It is funny that you bring up the two sides being the same and painting in separate posts. Without having an artistic bone in my body, I've wondered if painting these with emphasis on different parts of the ships could make the two sides' ships seem somewhat different. Also by painting ships of the same type on the same side in different styles, if it might be possible to make it appear possible they are of different sub types say cruisers / missile cruisers for use in other systems. At this price point, getting double use of the miniatures for this game and also other games would be my most likely way of buying in.

But who am I kidding? I don't paint.

PS, your remarks on Battleship Galaxies had me watching reviews of it. Hmmm, another one to add to possible purchase list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
GamePlayer wrote:

It is funny that you bring up the two sides being the same and painting in separate posts.
And Battlelore 1.0 did have identical units on both side. The game could be forgiven as it featured the different banners, cost only $50 or so when it came out and it featured TONS of figures for the money. That box was packed with value.

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   |