Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
30 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Blue Peg, Pink Peg» Forums » General

Subject: What Are You Playing This Week? June 11th-17th The Origins Edition! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Chapman
United States
DONELSON
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OMG! It is almost upon me and some of you other Pegheads.....The Origins trip!laugh....I can hardly stand it!....
Its close to 4am my time and still so much to do...pack clothes,pick games to bring,build a snack bag and the medic bag....ahhhhh!

So the question for this week will be a little different than normal.I am asking for something strange and wonderful as recommended by a one
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

......Give me some pictures of the games you will be playing this week if possible?

I am taking his suggestion and will be updating the thread with a least one picture of each game I will have played during this week....In a sense....Live Blog from the con.

I'm so excited to meet all the Pegheads I can/play a boardgame, and of course.....Annoy Rob......and meet the lovely Christina.....oh so much to do so much to do.....

But what the Pegheads really want to know is......
What are you playing this week?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stephen,

I don't have pictures of games I'll play at Origins as I don't know with whom I'll play or what we'll play. I know that I'm teaching Freedom: The Underground Railroad and 1775 as an Academy Games' volunteer and I'll also assist at the Rio Grande Games, as well.

I do want to get Dead of Winter to the Gaming Table ~ I've owned it for some time, but haven't taken the time to learn it yet. Otherwise, I'm going to Origins to play a number of games, see friends from across the country, and just enjoy the convention atmosphere.

Cheers,
Joe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
I had such an amazing time at Origins last year, I'm bummed not to be going. But we've really figured out an every-other-year kind of schedule will work better for the family budget.

I think a game of Gloomhaven, which we haven't played for what seems like months, is in the offing. Otherwise, who knows what the summer will bring?

My birthday is Friday, so there will likely be some new games to try.

Have fun in Columbus, everyone. Play some Happy Salmon while you're there.

From last year's meetup: my daughter getting ready to kick some ass playing Happy Salmon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, not sure what I have planned to play this week. I'm continuing on the Trickerion: Academy expansion testing, so here's a pic of that game:

Do you want a pic of the game in-action too?

There's plenty more I *might* be playing, but can't say what for sure yet. No game nights planned, so it'll likely be solo play stuff as and when I get a free evening.

Enjoy Origins, anyone who's there, and remember to Have Some Fun, and Play Some Games™.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meghan Naxer
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So far for Origins I have games of Ginkgopolis, Escape Plan, Orléans, and probably Dilluvia Project planned, but that's it! There are loads of games I want to try/demo and loads of people I want to game with, so I am hoping with no booth time this year to have time to get the full Origins experience. I'll keep everyone posted with pictures!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Maltman
Canada
RICHMOND HILL
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cuteusagi wrote:
So far for Origins I have games of Ginkgopolis, Escape Plan, Orléans, and probably Dilluvia Project planned, but that's it! There are loads of games I want to try/demo and loads of people I want to game with, so I am hoping with no booth time this year to have time to get the full Origins experience. I'll keep everyone posted with pictures!

Incredibly, I will also be playing Ginkgopolis and Escape Plan.

Spirit Island will also be on the menu at some point or more than once - I'll have my copy. John Company is possible too.

Aside from that, trying lots of games with my family, and playing other games with the many gaming friends I get to see at Origins.

Drive leg 1 starts in an hour and a bit!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Kunes
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I typically make a day trip on Saturday to Origins but I have another family commitment this weekend and will miss the festivities. Enjoy everyone!

meeple Keep playing...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kanost
United States
York
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
OH YEAH
mbmbmbmbmb
The Professor wrote:
I do want to get Dead of Winter to the Gaming Table ~ I've owned it for some time, but haven't taken the time to learn it yet.

Hey-O! My son and I would be up for a game of Dead of Winter with you! I wouldn't say we're "veterans" as we still have less than ten plays under our belts, but I'm sure we could help you stumble through the rules together!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Stearns
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Professor wrote:
Stephen,

I don't have pictures of games I'll play at Origins as I don't know with whom I'll play or what we'll play. I know that I'm teaching Freedom: The Underground Railroad and 1775 as an Academy Games' volunteer and I'll also assist at the Rio Grande Games, as well.

I do want to get Dead of Winter to the Gaming Table ~ I've owned it for some time, but haven't taken the time to learn it yet. Otherwise, I'm going to Origins to play a number of games, see friends from across the country, and just enjoy the convention atmosphere.

Cheers,
Joe

Oh yay! I'm signed up for a session of Freedom, hoping to be taught again by The Professor!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kanost
United States
York
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
OH YEAH
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm trying to travel lighter this year and not bring as many games to Origins with me, other than the really tiny ones that'll fit easily into my backpack. However, I am bringing my top three because I simply cannot be without easy access to them:

I'll happily teach and play these games with any takers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grishny wrote:

Will miss being there with you this year, John. Had a lot of fun last year. What's that third game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kanost
United States
York
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
OH YEAH
mbmbmbmbmb
wombat929 wrote:
Grishny wrote:

Will miss being there with you this year, John. Had a lot of fun last year. What's that third game?

Great Western Trail!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Chapman
United States
DONELSON
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grishny wrote:
I'm trying to travel lighter this year and not bring as many games to Origins with me, other than the really tiny ones that'll fit easily into my backpack. However, I am bringing my top three because I simply cannot be without easy access to them:

I plan on bringing my copy of Terraforming Mars....ashamed because I've had it since preorder and its never hit then table....would love to learn how to play it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kanost
United States
York
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
OH YEAH
mbmbmbmbmb
Damashu wrote:
Grishny wrote:

I plan on bringing my copy of Terraforming Mars....ashamed because I've had it since preorder and its never hit then table....would love to learn how to play it

Let's do it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Stearns
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grishny wrote:
The Professor wrote:
I do want to get Dead of Winter to the Gaming Table ~ I've owned it for some time, but haven't taken the time to learn it yet.

Hey-O! My son and I would be up for a game of Dead of Winter with you! I wouldn't say we're "veterans" as we still have less than ten plays under our belts, but I'm sure we could help you stumble through the rules together!

Thank you, John! I'll send you my info so we can keep in touch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jstearns78 wrote:
The Professor wrote:
Stephen,

Cheers,
Joe

Oh yay! I'm signed up for a session of Freedom, hoping to be taught again by The Professor!

Jennifer,

That'll be great!

Cheers,
Joe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian L
United States
Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Woo, Origins! It will be my first time attending. I'll be helping out at Plan B's booth demoing Coimbra, so that should be a lot of fun. Might also demo some Reef and Century: Eastern Wonders, or at least get a few plays of them in!

I'll be bringing my own copies of Lords of Hellas, Sidereal Confluence, Trickerion, Spirit Island, and Dinosaur Island, so I want to try to fit in some of those as well! Basically, I want to play all the games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Maltman
Canada
RICHMOND HILL
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
verballyinsane wrote:
Woo, Origins! It will be my first time attending. I'll be helping out at Plan B's booth demoing Coimbra, so that should be a lot of fun. Might also demo some Reef and Century: Eastern Wonders, or at least get a few plays of them in!

I'll be bringing my own copies of Lords of Hellas, Sidereal Confluence, Trickerion, Spirit Island, and Dinosaur Island, so I want to try to fit in some of those as well! Basically, I want to play all the games.

Brian - I know a bunch of Sidereal players, myself included, and I’ve taught many times too.

I also love Spirit Island and have my copy with me.

Saturday evening I have nothing planned yet... GM me if you’re interested in my help setting up a bigger Sidereal game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Klipfel
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Going on a family vacation this week. 4 nights in the Black Hills of SD. Taking a ton of games along and hoping to spend a ton of time playing them.

Really hoping that Tournament at Camelot is a hit with my Father. I will be teaching this game and hope to play it several times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Got to play two great games at Toggle Gaming this week.

First, I tried the game that was all the hot buzz for a minute in 2015 - PANAMAX. It's pretty fun! I don't normally like economic games much, but it was great. The pushing mechanism is really fun. We had a huge point swing, though -- one person ended with -12 bucks, one with 30ish, me with 52, and the winner with 93. WOW.

Then, I got a real treat in that I got to play THE RESISTANCE with designer Don Eskridge. It's a highlight of the year, perhaps, to get into a bickering war with him, sniping at each other "Don's a spy." "No, Brendan's a spy." Was really fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Played 2 games of Anachrony so far this week! (I hadn't really planned on playing it, but just couldn't wait!). Played solo both times. The first game was a learning game not just for me, but for me driving the Chronobot as well, so it took quite a while (3+ hours), and I was confused about how the game end was triggered, but it was fun.

The second game was must faster, I corrected some of my rules goofs, worked out the end-game properly, and it was very enjoyable. The Chronobot is indeed very smooth and easy to operate (once you decode the iconography), and I managed to keep up just-about. The bot beat me 57 to 44. I count that as "not too bad at all" for a first proper play. It was technically on Normal hardness level, but Easy would still have beaten me, and in fact I never actually used my leader's power (considered it a few times but it was never strategically useful enough), so technically the bot was also on Hard level too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conrad Ratchford
United States
Chattanooga
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Plays this week so far:

Just got Concordia last week. Got one play in at 2p, hoping to get another play today at 4p.

A couple plays of TZAAR. If you like abstracts, this one plays really quickly and creates some fun tactical situations!

Played Heaven & Ale at 2p. After 4 plays now, the initial charm of the puzzle is starting to fade a bit. Definitely has more interesting interaction at 4p than 2p.

Played Dixit with some family. Haven't gotten this one played in awhile, but its hard to beat for a casual family game!

About to set up a solo game of Spirit Island. Lots to explore here!

Peace!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meghan Naxer
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok everyone...get ready for a photo dump!!! I should probably space this out for loading purposes? Let's do this!

1. Pre-Origins Gaming

Feudum!! What a surprise to stumble into a copy of this, and what a surprise to have such an enjoyable first play. I am so intrigued by this game and am still thinking about it almost a week after our first play. Cannot wait to explore it more!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meghan Naxer
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2. Thursday Origins

We arrived on Thursday afternoon, so first big event was the BPPP meetup! It was a fantastic time, with so many lovely pegheads in attendance! And there was a very dangerous Jenga game...

Played 2 games on day 1: Reef & Welcome To.... Both are great! I was pleasantly surprised by Reef...the chaining combos and careful timing of moves is really clever and Welcome To... is a solid draw-and-draw. It was also fantastic to play with some Pegheads!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |