Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
348 Posts
[1]  Prev «  10 , 11 , 12 , 13 , 14  | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Trades

Subject: GenCon 2018 No Ship Math Trade (Ends 7/19 9pm EST, Exchange 8/3 8am Union Station:Grand Hall) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ron Laufer
United States
Millington
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this discussion has drifted far from this trade specifically. I invite everyone to pick it up in its own thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wood
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
motoyugota wrote:

That's a good point - even if he did put his values up a dollar or two higher, someone would still have had to "want" them. I was only thinking about it that way because that other guy was implying he did that.

Abecorn provides a 'feature' to automatically select any trades matching a dollar value in the matrix.

As noted above, I'm not a fan of offering money for games in the math trade. That's a flea market and i believe Ben diluted the experience by his massive cash influx to buy, which the blackbox matrix auto-complete would support easily.

I know Ben is trying to support Abecorn for trading and whatnot, but I think more time should have been spent managing the actual meetup. That was chaos, despite the protest that he got all his games he expected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Moller
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I confess I'm a little confused by the charges that this meetup was particularly chaotic... I've done the last 3 Gen Con math trades and this wasn't the worst of the 3. 2 years ago we were just in the hallway near the JW... Now THAT was chaos.

The only issue was nobody stepping up to formalize some sort of organizational principle, but that's essentially how it goes every year. So, I'd say this year's meetup is exactly what I was expecting, which I was fine with. All organizers volunteered their time, which I'm grateful for, and there's no official procedure for pulling these events off, to my knowledge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stevenson
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that the main "organizational" thing with this year was that because we had a bigger room, we spread out more, which made it a bit harder to find people. Last year you couldn't help but hear if someone was shouting for you. This year, we had an organizer actively yelling and helping people find each other, but it wasn't that pertinent to me because I still couldn't hear most of the names he was shouting (including, most notably, mine).

I do think that being set up at tables, which seemed great to me initially (and was handy, in that I'm one of those folks with dozens of games coming and going, and having my own table gave me somewhere easy to put them), wasn't as conducive for finding each other as the more usual 'line' format (either organized last year, or in the past when it we were just up against the hallway wall).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
JimmyJoe70 wrote:
dtmulhol wrote:
Can everyone agree on two things?

1) The appearance of impropriety is a bad thing, and should be avoided.

No, we cant agree upon this. If people have an incorrect interpretation of the appearance, it is not up to everyone stepping up to lead something to fix their stupidity.

I cannot agree with your assertion that people who don't see things the same way you see them are "incorrect" and "stupid". Try starting from a POV that different people see the world differently than you and that your way is not the only alternative to the highway.

Also, it sounds like you've never gone through any level of ethics training at your workplace. The appearance of impropriety is often as bad as actual impropriety. As has been covered multiple times in this thread, the way Bien has run/participated in this trade (and trades in the past) has put people off of participating in future trades, which is something I think we want to avoid. Even people who see the world differently than you have games you might want to trade for.

To be clear, the solution is pretty simple, especially if there wasn't any actual impropriety---simple disclosure of how the organizer/developer is involved and what he will or won't do in the trade is a simple action that can be copy-pasted into future trades in a matter of seconds to provide a higher level of transparency and accountability. I fail to see how this process would reduce the quality of trades or do anything other than increase participation and goodwill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith McRell
United States
Norfolk
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did anyone trade with markbesada? He shot me a note that the airline lost his luggage. I heard back after the con that he was waiting still. I haven't heard anything since August 7.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harley Winfrey
United States
Cottage in the Woods
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
crono48036 wrote:
Did anyone trade with markbesada? He shot me a note that the airline lost his luggage. I heard back after the con that he was waiting still. I haven't heard anything since August 7.

Yes I gave him a game at the meetup. That’s pretty terrible about his luggage. At least the game he got from me was only worth about $5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Doe
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
crono48036 wrote:

I did too. Gave him the game at GenCon (Mystery of the Abbey)

Good luck, i hope the luggage is located.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith McRell
United States
Norfolk
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heard back after this post, but silence for three weeks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Doe
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Apologies for the Necro, but has anyone heard if the luggage was found or not?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Stephenson
United States
Everett
WA - Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Johdo wrote:
Apologies for the Necro, but has anyone heard if the luggage was found or not?

Yes, in February, he tracked everyone down, sent them their games and sent me tracking numbers (I owed him money).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rhombusleech wrote:
What sort of recourse is there for a complaint about a no-show for a trade?

I was to receive $25 from user misterdavidjaques.

David Jaques
United States
California
flag msg tools

He did not show up to the trade and has not replied to any messages I've sent through BGG or Abecorn. It appears he only had a single trade; sending $25 to me and receiving Bioshock Infinite: The Siege of Columbia from user rahlan

Nate Heitz
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I talked briefly with rahlan at the trade and he too said he'd not received any response from messages sent to misterdavidjaques.

Since he never responded to a trade request I have no way to leave negative feedback for the trade on BGG.

Still never got my money from misterdavidjaques

David Jaques
United States
California
flag msg tools

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Heitz
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rhombusleech wrote:
rhombusleech wrote:

David Jaques
United States
California
flag msg tools

He did not show up to the trade and has not replied to any messages I've sent through BGG or Abecorn. It appears he only had a single trade; sending $25 to me and receiving Bioshock Infinite: The Siege of Columbia from user rahlan

Nate Heitz
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I talked briefly with rahlan at the trade and he too said he'd not received any response from messages sent to misterdavidjaques.

Since he never responded to a trade request I have no way to leave negative feedback for the trade on BGG.

David Jaques
United States
California
flag msg tools

I still have Bioshock Infinite: The Siege of Columbia. You can have the Bioshock game. I don't know if that would make up for the $25 lost. I think it would be difficult to track down someone that never posts on BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rahlan wrote:
rhombusleech wrote:
rhombusleech wrote:

David Jaques
United States
California
flag msg tools

Nate Heitz
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

David Jaques
United States
California
flag msg tools

I still have Bioshock Infinite: The Siege of Columbia. You can have the Bioshock game. I don't know if that would make up for the $25 lost. I think it would be difficult to track down someone that never posts on BGG.

Rahlan wrote:

I appreciate the offer, but I'm not really interested in Bioshock.

Unfortunately, it seems that there's no real recourse here. I see he still checks BGG, having logged in just a couple days ago, but yeah, he never posts anywhere. Hopefully there's a way for Ben to ban him from participating in any future trades.

Ben Stephenson
United States
Everett
WA - Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

MATH TRADE NO SHOW:
David Jaques
United States
California
flag msg tools
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Stephenson
United States
Everett
WA - Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rhombusleech wrote:
Still never got my money from..

It's usually bad form to call out people directly. I realize it's been almost a year at this point. Your only real recourse is to contact Octavian and share your information and the trade information. https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/2028025/gencon-2018-no-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bien wrote:
rhombusleech wrote:

It's usually bad form to call out people directly.

It’s bad form to call out bad traders? Really? Someone else necro’d this thread asking about missing items. Figured it was worth calling out again to alert others since there was never a response when I originally posted about it.

Seems people should be alerted that there’s no recourse for non-responding, no shows if they use Abecorn...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Doe
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rhombusleech wrote:
Bien wrote:
rhombusleech wrote:

It's usually bad form to call out people directly.

It’s bad form to call out bad traders? Really? Someone Johdo necro’d this thread asking about missing items. Figured it was worth calling out again to alert others since there was never a response when I originally posted about it.

Seems people should be alerted that there’s no recourse for non-responding, no shows if they use Abecorn...

fixed...

And i appreciate being notified when people don't honor the trade system. In a one for one straight trade, it's no big deal....you just keep your game.
In a math trade, one breakdown in the chain is Huge. I would be hesitant to participate in a math trade where a known "bad trader" is involved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Stephenson
United States
Everett
WA - Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rhombusleech wrote:

If discussing things behind the scenes doesn't work..the recourse from the rare bad trader has always been to contact BGGs trade moderator (Octavian). He has the ability to remove or limit users bggaccess, which is usually all it takes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Stephenson
United States
Everett
WA - Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rhombusleech wrote:
Hopefully there's a way for Ben to ban him from participating in any future trades.

Yes, i have a lock account button that will prevent him from participating in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Johdo wrote:

fixed...

And i appreciate being notified when people don't honor the trade system. In a one for one straight trade, it's no big deal....you just keep your game.
In a math trade, one breakdown in the chain is Huge. I would be hesitant to participate in a math trade where a known "bad trader" is involved.

Same. Had this been my first math trade I never would have considered doing another one. Luckily this was my second math trade; my first being Origins last year. I had someone show up nearly an hour late for that one though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bien wrote:
rhombusleech wrote:

If discussing things behind the scenes doesn't work..the recourse from the rare bad trader has always been to contact BGGs trade moderator (Octavian). He has the ability to remove or limit users bggaccess, which is usually all it takes.

I would have happily contacted Octavian had someone actually suggested this a year ago.

Looking at his trade, giving $25 to receive Bioshock, he obviously had a change of heart and decided to ignore all communication attempts.

Happy to hear that you are able to ban him from participating in future trades on Abecorn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Armstrong
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I noticed a Gen Con 2019 math trade thread was created:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2199335/gen-con-math-trade-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Stephenson
United States
Everett
WA - Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JA1214 wrote:
I noticed a Gen Con 2019 math trade thread was created:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2199335/gen-con-math-trade-...

The host posted that as a soft launch to solicit feedback on improving the exchange and to advertise a free game raffle for to encourage participants to get tickets to the free event.

The real trade won't start until next month.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  10 , 11 , 12 , 13 , 14  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.