Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
348 Posts
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [14] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Trades

Subject: GenCon 2018 No Ship Math Trade (Ends 7/19 9pm EST, Exchange 8/3 8am Union Station:Grand Hall) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Harley Winfrey
United States
Cottage in the Woods
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Right now I can't get it to recognize item condition. I click on "new", hit submit, and it says "You must select a condition." Same issue on Chrome and Edge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harley Winfrey
United States
Cottage in the Woods
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heron78 wrote:
Right now I can't get it to recognize item condition. I click on "new", hit submit, and it says "You must select a condition." Same issue on Chrome and Edge.

I tried again on Chrome and it worked just fine. I guess just keep trying if you're having problems?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Reagan
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
creagan wrote:
defeldus wrote:
Only 9 participants in the biggest con math trade? C'mon people...

We are at 14 now. I expect the sign-ups will increase now that Origins is over.

Everyone please be sure to thumb the related forums and GeekLists to let others know this is active.

...at 36 now. Still a long way to go at this point, but some good items already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Senser
United States
Oak Park
IL
flag msg tools
This isn't my dog.
badge
This isn't my dog.
mbmbmbmbmb
As a personal note, I'd be all into this if it was on the OLWLG. I was actually waiting for the GenCon math trade and had no idea it existed because I was assuming it would pop up on the OLWLG.

I have no interest in learning another system, and I expect others are both (a) expecting it to be on the OLWLG and (b) not interested if it won't be on the OLWLG.

Good luck on the trades though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Laufer
United States
Millington
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Doomburrito wrote:
I have no interest in learning another system, and I expect others are both (a) expecting it to be on the OLWLG and (b) not interested if it won't be on the OLWLG.

I understand the feeling, while wishing it weren't the case. The OLWLG is great, but personally, with my opportunities for no-ship math trades so few and far between, I'd use handwritten wantlists, translated into punch cards, scanned and uploaded by ftp if I had to. And abecorn is far, far from that.

I used it for the first time (not counting some fake practice trades years ago) for this trade, and it was simple and easy, once over a small learning curve hump. So if anyone is on the fence and worried about learning a new system, I encourage them to give it a try. You have nothing to lose but the games you don't want anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Stephenson
United States
Everett
WA - Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Doomburrito wrote:
As a personal note, I'd be all into this if it was on the OLWLG. I was actually waiting for the GenCon math trade and had no idea it existed because I was assuming it would pop up on the OLWLG.

I'm sorry your anticipation for the GenCon math trade was lessened by the prospect of running on a system you haven't used before. The design of it is to make it easier and more automated an experience to math trade.

If you're concerned about reading/watching training videos, check out the one page picture walkthru or else email/PM me at Bien or info@abecorn.com. I'm very responsive on most questions/issues and if you don't end up participating, feedback on what improvements you'd like on next year's trade would be welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dame
United States
Kokomo
IN
flag msg tools
badge
“Why should we look to the past in order to prepare for the future? Because there is nowhere else to look.” ― James Burke
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a huge fan of the OLWLG as well, for many reasons, but primarily because I can sych my collections with BGG and it remembers the trade condition of the games I've listed previously and I can drop those right into a new trade.

Does Abecorn

1. Sych with my BGG account

2. Remember previous items I've had in other trades, so they can be dropped into a trade with a couple of clicks.

3. Filter games that are only in my "Want to buy list" etc. so I don't have to go through every game listed.

I don't quite understand the continual trading aspect. I love being able to see ALL the items offered at the same time, and deciding what I would want to offer based on all the information after submissions have closed.

Thanks for your help. I'd love to participate, but so far I'm not sold on it. I had the third most games in the Origins math trade a few weeks ago and the OLWLG worked great (31 trades) for managing everything. I don't want to have to recreate the wheel every time with Abecorn when I already have everything synced with BGG and OLWLG and can easily filter down to what I have on my Want Lists.

Thanks for the help
-Frustrated Math Trader

Edit: Update

Syncing my collection now, we'll see how this goes.

4. Can you assign values to your items, so they are easier to sort?

5. Not loving that the "Print Matrix" isn't sorted like STEP 4 (easy to see if you've made a mistake at a glance).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Stephenson
United States
Everett
WA - Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
damevfx wrote:

1. Sych with my BGG account

Yes. It also updates your for trades/want in trades dynamically as you post or want games not on your BGG account.

When you verify your BGG account it also syncs your account.

damevfx wrote:

2. Remember previous items I've had in other trades, so they can be dropped into a trade with a couple of clicks.

Yes. You don't have to post them one at a time, you can post all your games under your (BGG) account in a few clicks.

damevfx wrote:

3. Filter games that are only in my "Want to buy list" etc. so I don't have to go through every game listed.

Yes, there you can filter by a variety of factors and combination of factors, including condition.

damevfx wrote:

I don't quite understand the continual trading aspect. I love being able to see ALL the items offered at the same time, and deciding what I would want to offer based on all the information after submissions have closed.

Only the US shipping trade is currently using the continual trading.

You can view what's currently (directly) offered for what you've posted. This is to help gauge other's interest and value in your postings. It's also to help you make side trades afterwards if your games don't trade.

damevfx wrote:

Thanks for your help. I'd love to participate, but so far I'm not sold on it. I had the third most games in the Origins math trade a few weeks ago and the OLWLG worked great (31 trades) for managing everything. I don't want to have to recreate the wheel every time with Abecorn when I already have everything synced with BGG and OLWLG and can easily filter down to what I have on my Want Lists.

You won't have to reinvent or manage anything but your matrix after you've imported from BGG.

damevfx wrote:

Edit: Update

Syncing my collection now, we'll see how this goes.

4. Can you assign values to your items, so they are easier to sort?

Yes, you can assign values to auto-fill your matrix. The matrix sorts by most wanted and alphabetical.

You also can assign cash values to your own or other's listings if you want to use the automated method of managing cash listings.

damevfx wrote:

5. Not loving that the "Print Matrix" isn't sorted like STEP 4 (easy to see if you've made a mistake at a glance).

What would you change to make it better?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Senser
United States
Oak Park
IL
flag msg tools
This isn't my dog.
badge
This isn't my dog.
mbmbmbmbmb
Bien wrote:
Doomburrito wrote:

I'm sorry your anticipation for the GenCon math trade was lessened by the prospect of running on a system you haven't used before. The design of it is to make it easier and more automated an experience to math trade.

If you're concerned about reading/watching training videos, check out the one page picture walkthru or else email/PM me at Bien or info@abecorn.com. I'm very responsive on most questions/issues and if you don't end up participating, feedback on what improvements you'd like on next year's trade would be welcome.

Thanks! I appreciate the help. My larger concern was that this simply isn't getting as much visibility as it would on the OLWLG. My sole method of checking for new math trades is looking at the OLWLG, and I expect that is the same for others, which might be why the number of participants is low.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geki
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I am still unclear on the place: is Union Station part of the convention center?

Also, doesn’t the convention open at 10?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alec Usticke
United States
Peekskill
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Union Station is a block from the ICC. Gen Con encompasses a number of buildings and hotels.

The exhibit hall opens at 10am. The con itself is 24 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Stephenson
United States
Everett
WA - Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
geki wrote:
I am still unclear on the place: is Union Station part of the convention center?
Also, doesn’t the convention open at 10?

austicke wrote:
Union Station is a block from the ICC. Gen Con encompasses a number of buildings and hotels.

The exhibit hall opens at 10am. The con itself is 24 hours.

I've updated the first thread post with a map of the exchange location.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Reagan
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Doomburrito wrote:
Bien wrote:
Doomburrito wrote:

Thanks! I appreciate the help. My larger concern was that this simply isn't getting as much visibility as it would on the OLWLG. My sole method of checking for new math trades is looking at the OLWLG, and I expect that is the same for others, which might be why the number of participants is low.

"My sole method of checking for new math trades is looking at the OLWLG"

Can you explain this? I have used OLWLG for trades in the past, but I don't know what you are looking at to be alerted for new trades.

I always look at Math Trade Announcements Thread to find out about math trades.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron R
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Doomburrito wrote:

Not to dismiss your comment but I think information about this MT is out there. I've seen this MT announced in last year's trade thread, on the Math Trade Announcements thread, on the Gen Con fans Facebook page, on /r/gencon, and on the Gen Con forums.

I'm also not sure that the number of participants is low. There are 24 days left in the trade and there are 694 items listed as of right now. Looking at the geeklist for last year's OLWLG Gen Con trade there were only 163 items listed with 24 days left in the trade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Laufer
United States
Millington
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bien wrote:
If you're concerned about reading/watching training videos, check out the one page picture walkthru
I assume you've noticed that wikispaces says they are closing soon. You'll probably want to move your tutorial stuff to another host before it's lost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Stephenson
United States
Everett
WA - Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gonzoron wrote:
Bien wrote:
If you're concerned about reading/watching training videos, check out the one page picture walkthru
I assume you've noticed that wikispaces says they are closing soon. You'll probably want to move your tutorial stuff to another host before it's lost.

Yes, we've saved the source code and are planning on hosting it ourselves (around August).

Wikispaces shuts down in September.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wood
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bien wrote:

Identify additional instances of items added for a trade (If I mark game X, flag other instances of game X to remind me visually)

Sweeteners added to the sweetener section are not showing in the browse list of the items. There is no indicator that any items has additional items attached. This obviously discourages sweeteners as they are a 'surprise' unless listed in the description.

Having to keep logging in when going back to the site gets annoying.

On one's account,under the "Edit Haves" Item List, the list does not indicate the BGG status such as 'Wanted in Trade' or 'For Trade' or 'Wishlist: Don't Get This'

Also on the Item List for 'Edit Haves', Money is one of the categories and seems nonsensical.

Sorting in Collection lists, I see games with lower-case letters appearing after all Upper-Case letter games. Example: ebay: the is after Zooloretto: The Dice Game. This should be case-insensitive for more natural searching.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Stephenson
United States
Everett
WA - Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cinnibar wrote:
Bien wrote:

Identify additional instances of items added for a trade (If I mark game X, flag other instances of game X to remind me visually)

Sweeteners added to the sweetener section are not showing in the browse list of the items. There is no indicator that any items has additional items attached. This obviously discourages sweeteners as they are a 'surprise' unless listed in the description.

On one's account,under the "Edit Haves" Item List, the list does not indicate the BGG status such as 'Wanted in Trade' or 'For Trade' or 'Wishlist: Don't Get This'

Sorting in Collection lists, I see games with lower-case letters appearing after all Upper-Case letter games. Example: ebay: the is after Zooloretto: The Dice Game. This should be case-insensitive for more natural searching.

Thanks for the feedback, I'll see what we can get done before trade end and work on the rest for next time.

Cinnibar wrote:

At the login screen click the "keep me logged in" box to the left of the login button.

Cinnibar wrote:

Also on the Item List for 'Edit Haves', Money is one of the categories and seems nonsensical.

It's a vestigial tail we haven't removed yet, thanks for reminding me to remove it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Reagan
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
creagan wrote:
creagan wrote:
defeldus wrote:

Everyone please be sure to thumb the related forums and GeekLists to let others know this is active.

...at 36 now. Still a long way to go at this point, but some good items already.

55 participants...795 items...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron R
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
creagan wrote:
creagan wrote:
creagan wrote:
defeldus wrote:

55 participants...795 items...

and growing. The funny thing about the 9 participants thing is that the trade was announced on the Math Trade Announcements thread only a few hours before that comment. We are ahead of last year's pace so far which is awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wood
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bien wrote:

Cinnibar wrote:

At the login screen click the "keep me logged in" box to the left of the login button.

You have to actively logout to get to the screen with that checkbox, I found. If you just select Log In, you are logged in with your credentials until you go to the home page again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geki
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Just to be clear: we need a ticket for the event?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Stephenson
United States
Everett
WA - Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
geki wrote:

No, but please pick one up to make sure our numbers are such to justify using a large meeting space in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Sanchez
United States
chaska
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bien wrote:
geki wrote:

No, but please pick one up to make sure our numbers are such to justify using a large meeting space in the future.

Note. it's a free ticket.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Laufer
United States
Millington
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bien wrote:
geki wrote:

Do we need to actually pick up the ticket or is ordering it enough? (I had all my other tickets mailed, but got this one after the mailing deadline. I would hate to wait in the will call line just for this ticket.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [14] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.