Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
348 Posts
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [14] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Trades

Subject: GenCon 2018 No Ship Math Trade (Ends 7/19 9pm EST, Exchange 8/3 8am Union Station:Grand Hall) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron R
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gonzoron wrote:
Bien wrote:
geki wrote:
Just to be clear: we need a ticket for the event?

No, but please pick one up to make sure our numbers are such to justify using a large meeting space in the future.

Do we need to actually pick up the ticket or is ordering it enough? (I had all my other tickets mailed, but got this one after the mailing deadline. I would hate to wait in the will call line just for this ticket.)

Attendance is determined by the number of tickets turned in so it would be preferable if you picked it up and turned it in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
If you go to will call any time after 11am Thursday there should hardly be any wait at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Santa Fe
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ben, just a quick correction, the main link on abecorn.com says Monday, 7/19, where 7/19 is actually a Thursday. Should clarify one way or the other.

And just to let you know how much I appreciate Abecorn, and the major improvement that it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Stephenson
United States
Everett
WA - Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
randomguy132 wrote:
Ben, just a quick correction, the main link on abecorn.com says Monday, 7/19, where 7/19 is actually a Thursday. Should clarify one way or the other.

And just to let you know how much I appreciate Abecorn, and the major improvement that it is.

Corrected, ty

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Reagan
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AaronR wrote:
creagan wrote:
creagan wrote:
creagan wrote:
defeldus wrote:
Only 9 participants in the biggest con math trade? C'mon people...

We are at 14 now. I expect the sign-ups will increase now that Origins is over.

Everyone please be sure to thumb the related forums and GeekLists to let others know this is active.

...at 36 now. Still a long way to go at this point, but some good items already.

55 participants...795 items...

and growing. The funny thing about the 9 participants thing is that the trade was announced on the Math Trade Announcements thread only a few hours before that comment. We are ahead of last year's pace so far which is awesome!

We have passed 1000 items and over 80 participants. Woo hoo! (still hoping for a lot more)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harley Winfrey
United States
Cottage in the Woods
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
brianmayer00 has several items with two or three identical entries listed in the trade. I'm guessing that this wasn't intentional?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stevenson
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since potential improvements in AbeCorn have been mentioned, I guess I'll throw out that I have a difficult time using the matrix.

For example, I don't know about how it appears to others, but I can't even read the names of games when looking at the left side (in part because the duplicate protect/delete buttons are huge) - I'll get maybe the first 8 letters, which sometimes is enough to recognize which game it is, and sometimes isn't (especially when there are distinct entries for a base game and then its expansions).

Trying to use that list also sometimes has problems. On occasion the duplicate protect buttons simply won't work. Also, while I generally like the idea of the pop-up with the traders full description of what's being offered, the pop-up doesn't like to go away, so it will cover up multiple other entries until I can get a different pop-up that's less obtrusive.

I presume that the slicker-looking Abecorn matrix was intended to be easier to use than the OLWLG matrix, but it ultimately makes that aspect of the process is more of a pain for me.

Additionally, when using the valuation/cash offer pop-up, it is limited to a relatively narrow window in the middle of the screen. In part because of this, it can take a long time to scroll down through all of the items wanted/offered (because I can only see a couple at a time). If the window was a bit wider, then entries could spread out a bit, and there would be a bit less need to scroll so much between reading.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josef Ferguson
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
jesus christ but this abecorn website is a mess

Is there anybody doing a math-trade that DOESN'T use this horrible abecorn website?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Stephenson
United States
Everett
WA - Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cupajo wrote:

Is there anybody doing a math-trade that DOESN'T use this horrible abecorn website?

Was there something in particular that was bothering you?

If you're just having issues on what to do to get started, the quick start shows a photo step-by-step
http://abecorn.wikispaces.com/QuickStart

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josef Ferguson
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Yeah, I saw that. Still not much help. All I want to do is list one game for trade and a short list of games I'd accept in trade. Following the QuickStart directions to the letter, the "for trade" item never shows up in My Collection.

All in all, just a huge mess of a website. Not intuitive at all.

Bien wrote:
cupajo wrote:

Was there something in particular that was bothering you?

If you're just having issues on what to do to get started, the quick start shows a photo step-by-step
http://abecorn.wikispaces.com/QuickStart

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Stephenson
United States
Everett
WA - Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cupajo wrote:
Yeah, I saw that. Still not much help. All I want to do is list one game for trade and a short list of games I'd accept in trade. Following the QuickStart directions to the letter, the "for trade" item never shows up in My Collection.

It looks like you successfully added a game. Also your BGG hadn't been synced which is why your "for trades" weren't showing up. You're synced now.

If you were only planning on listing one game, you don't need your BGG data to add a game. Just go to "add item" and type the name of the game you want to add.

You can also use the "wants" filter if you only want to browse for games from your BGG list. If you want something outside of the BGG list, the system will remember those newly wanted items for future filtering.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron R
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cupajo wrote:

IMO Abecorn is unbelievably more intuitive than OLWLG. Both are good tools and have their flaws but for user friendliness and intuitive interface Abecorn is miles ahead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danielle A
United States
Noblesville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Gamer Librarian
mbmbmbmbmb
Daramere wrote:
For example, I don't know about how it appears to others, but I can't even read the names of games when looking at the left side (in part because the duplicate protect/delete buttons are huge) - I'll get maybe the first 8 letters, which sometimes is enough to recognize which game it is, and sometimes isn't (especially when there are distinct entries for a base game and then its expansions).

Trying to use that list also sometimes has problems. On occasion the duplicate protect buttons simply won't work. Also, while I generally like the idea of the pop-up with the traders full description of what's being offered, the pop-up doesn't like to go away, so it will cover up multiple other entries until I can get a different pop-up that's less obtrusive.

I have experienced this also, in both Firefox and Chrome. That being said, I find Abecorn much more user friendly. I had been using the OLWLG sporadically for about a year before giving Abecorn a try. The OLWLG is by far more daunting to a newbie math trader than Abecorn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stevenson
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EzzValdez wrote:
Daramere wrote:

I have experienced this also, in both Firefox and Chrome. That being said, I find Abecorn much more user friendly. I had been using the OLWLG sporadically for about a year before giving Abecorn a try. The OLWLG is by far more daunting to a newbie math trader than Abecorn.

I'm not trying to get into the "is OLWLG or Abecorn better" thing. I'm just saying those are things that to me personally are difficulty points with the Abecorn matrix page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josef Ferguson
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Why can I not just list the game (or games) I have and list the games I would be interested in? Why the need for BGG integration? I've found BGG's database to be bordering on useless itself. Some things are still on my "wishlist" despite the fact that I acquired them years ago. Some things are still showing up as "for trade" despite the fct that I no longer have them. I make changes in BGG, come back a week later and they've reverted. I finally just gave up keeping it current. It's not a solid backbone to build a trade site on.

Also, I don't see anywhere on the abecorn page where I can just see hwat I'm offering up for the math trade. I can see my whole frikken collection, for some reason, but not the one game I'm offering in trade.

Bien wrote:
cupajo wrote:

It looks like you successfully added a game. Also your BGG hadn't been synced which is why your "for trades" weren't showing up. You're synced now.

If you were only planning on listing one game, you don't need your BGG data to add a game. Just go to "add item" and type the name of the game you want to add.

You can also use the "wants" filter if you only want to browse for games from your BGG list. If you want something outside of the BGG list, the system will remember those newly wanted items for future filtering.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron R
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cupajo wrote:
Also, I don't see anywhere on the abecorn page where I can just see hwat I'm offering up for the math trade. I can see my whole frikken collection, for some reason, but not the one game I'm offering in trade.

Go to the Gen Con Math Trade page (https://trade.abecorn.com/#/trade/5b1880383ef9a3003c562d24) and click on "All Items" change that to "My Items"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danielle A
United States
Noblesville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Gamer Librarian
mbmbmbmbmb
Daramere wrote:
EzzValdez wrote:
Daramere wrote:

I'm not trying to get into the "is OLWLG or Abecorn better" thing. I'm just saying those are things that to me personally are difficulty points with the Abecorn matrix page.

I get that. meeple I wanted to make sure Bien knew your readability issues are also issues for me. My comments about OLWLG vs. Abecorn were in response to Josef's criticisms about Abecorn. I should have been clear about that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Peterson

Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Why can I not just list the game (or games) I have and list the games I would be interested in? Why the need for BGG integration? I've found BGG's database to be bordering on useless itself. Some things are still on my "wishlist" despite the fact that I acquired them years ago. Some things are still showing up as "for trade" despite the fct that I no longer have them. I make changes in BGG, come back a week later and they've reverted. I finally just gave up keeping it current. It's not a solid backbone to build a trade site on.

You do not have to import your BGG collection. That is provided for those that wish to import their BGG "For Trade", "Owned", "Wants", etc. collections. Then when adding an item you can use a dropdown filter to just select from those lists to add to the trade, rather than search through the entire repository of games. We have free text search so you should be able to find the game you want to add easy enough without that.

You may not be viewing the right page. Are you viewing the Gencon trade page? https://trade.abecorn.com/#/trade/5b1880383ef9a3003c562d24

It's interesting you mention BGG collections and their API not being a solid backbone to build a trade site on. Yes. You will notice when the BGG API goes down, we are little affected. We want to provide as much integration with BGG as necessary to keep the continuity of the BGG Math Trading community, but you are not obligated to take advantage of those integrations. You do not have to jump between two sites to participate; adding items to the trade in one, and generating a want list in another. There is no waiting for a host to sync games recently added, etc. We think that adds significantly to the math trading experience.

We have been growing, improving and passionately working on this since 2012 and will continue to do so. It has not been easy. We appreciate your feedback and take your criticism seriously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Boyung
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cupajo wrote:

Sorry, but I've got to call BS on this one - You must be doing something wrong or misunderstanding what you're doing if you think the collection system on BGG is not keeping your changes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Sanchez
United States
chaska
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's keep it civil. Personally I've not experienced that issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Davis
msg tools
Hello, planning out my first gencon trip and I was looking at the math trade. Is anybody else able to access the abecorn site at this time?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Quintanilla
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I cannot. I was using it last night, though. Hopefully just down for maintenance or something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Stephenson
United States
Everett
WA - Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
faquin wrote:
I cannot. I was using it last night, though. Hopefully just down for maintenance or something?

Yes, we brought it down briefly this morning for some updates that are taking longer than anticipated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josef Ferguson
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Believe what you want. I don't really care.

motoyugota wrote:
cupajo wrote:

Sorry, but I've got to call BS on this one - You must be doing something wrong or misunderstanding what you're doing if you think the collection system on BGG is not keeping your changes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Reagan
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
creagan wrote:
We have passed 1000 items and over 80 participants. Woo hoo! (still hoping for a lot more)

I have been out of town for about a week and are now at 110 participants and almost 1600 items. Hopefully we continue at this rate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [14] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.